Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

rjmccall posted:

prolonged american peace (gulf war aside)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the persian gulf war is easy to forget, and that's exactly my point. it didn't leave much of a cultural mark; i remember the news showing rocket streaks in a dark sky, and burning oil fields, but then it was over. there were very few american casualties and the fighting was done with in less than six weeks

like sure, reagan sent troops to a bunch of places, and clinton shot off a lot of rockets and sent troops to a bunch of other places. i'm not claiming that america is like a peaceful country. i'm saying that none of it was culturally significant in the same way as the iraq war has been, or as viet nam was

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rjmccall posted:

the persian gulf war is easy to forget, and that's exactly my point. it didn't leave much of a cultural mark

:wrong:

https://youtu.be/QBgC87AHtHk

lol. i also just remembered desert storm trading cards.

“trade you two george bushes for a scud!”

President Beep fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 4, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Caganer posted:

just look up boomer on Wikipedia

oh hey it’s fishmech junior

welcome to yospos, don’t quote stymie and fishmech has the Wikipedia beat pretty well covered

he’s America’s smartest kid and all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FrozenVent posted:

literally

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

got a certificate and everything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
betteridge's law continues batting 1000

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stymie posted:

no, that was mostly those in the "greatest generation" or the following silent generation, who were largely monstrous shits (and are frequently mistaken for boomers)

The silent generation were all at least 38 and the boomers were between 10 and 27 in 1970. Unless you're saying it was people who weren't college students doing this I don't see how that makes sense.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
gen x is and always has been really bad though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

the standard definition of millenials is literally based around 2000AD just to make the name seem better. a more sensible definition would be the people who were teenagers in that late-80s to early-00s late/post-cold-war but pre-mass-social-media era, kids who've probably grown up with video games or computers, suburb fatigue, prolonged american peace (gulf war aside), economic stability, and a sort of resurgence of mass culture (that dates a bit earlier but what can you do). these are people for whom 9/11 and the iraq war and eventually the financial crisis felt like a reversal, like the quiet sense of progress had come apart in some significant way. but again that group gets thrown in with a bunch of kids who've basically known nothing else and who've grown up in a world where an online social life is just this tremendously important thing

i like "young enough to have always had personal computers around (in school, library, home w/e) but old enough to remember the era before the internet consumed all that was good"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i thought it roughly went boomers 45-65, X was 65-85, millennial from 85-05, and whatever the current generation is started in 05.

also :lol: at stymie and people still getting stymied in tyool 2018. today’s stymieing was vintage 2012.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ate all the Oreos posted:

i like "young enough to have always had personal computers around (in school, library, home w/e) but old enough to remember the era before the internet consumed all that was good"

How about "old enough to remember when olds wrote in disgust about how lazy and entitled we are, they used the term 'Generation Y'"

Seriously, I was born in 1985, I don't feel I have much in common with someone born nearer to 2000, who has grown up with the internet as a constant presence.

Looks like some people are using the term "Generation Z" for these people, but to an old I guess its tempting to lump us all together.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

FrozenVent posted:

oh hey it’s fishmech junior

welcome to yospos, don’t quote stymie and fishmech has the Wikipedia beat pretty well covered

whenever i wonder what to think i look at wikipedia

even if it's wrong, going against millions of people and telling them they're "wrong" will just end with all the townsfolk outside holding pitchforks, so it's best to just go with the flow

also i was hoping i could derail stymie into a tangent on wikipedia's reliability

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Bladerunner 2019 looking good

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dude leave that poo poo to the pros

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
whole lotta shameful stymiequoting in here

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

i thought it roughly went boomers 45-65, X was 65-85, millennial from 85-05, and whatever the current generation is started in 05.

also :lol: at stymie and people still getting stymied in tyool 2018. today’s stymieing was vintage 2012.

millennials are people who "came of age in the new millennium", so 80-ish to early 90s (aka gen-y). kids currently in high school are not millennials, they're "generation z" or something like that.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whole lotta shameful stymiequoting in here

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pewresearch/status/969287050737446912?s=21

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

you should use that cite to edit it into wikipedia so we know it's true

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TimWinter posted:

Quietly adding "bonuses" to the pile of things that the bright and young of the next generation should expect to be gone by the time they enter the job market.

theyve been going awhile for a long while now, its just the companies are tired of the complaints which is why theyve started offering rewards points instead

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

my favorite bonus story is when oldjob told everyone that we weren’t getting bonuses because business was doing too well

see we had more sales than planned so we busted the production budget so no bonuses

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

FrozenVent posted:

my favorite bonus story is when oldjob told everyone that we weren’t getting bonuses because business was doing too well

see we had more sales than planned so we busted the production budget so no bonuses

some A+ management right there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol that's some fantastic incentivizing right there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:argh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if it helps i blew my posting budget on that.

jk. my posting budget is very well funded

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

President Beep posted:

if it helps i blew my posting budget on that.

jk. my posting budget is very well funded

i, too, have a high fiber diet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stymie posted:

fishmech, i know it's hard for you to accept that generation x and millennials are very bad but the worst part is you don't have to believe me, the truth will out in the years to come

if having a rhetorical victory will make you feel better about it, i'd suggest adjusting your priorities

So stymie how old do you think boomers are now?

rjmccall posted:

the standard definition of millenials is literally based around 2000AD just to make the name seem better. a more sensible definition would be the people who were teenagers in that late-80s to early-00s late/post-cold-war but pre-mass-social-media era, kids who've probably grown up with video games or computers, suburb fatigue, prolonged american peace (gulf war aside), economic stability, and a sort of resurgence of mass culture (that dates a bit earlier but what can you do). these are people for whom 9/11 and the iraq war and eventually the financial crisis felt like a reversal, like the quiet sense of progress had come apart in some significant way. but again that group gets thrown in with a bunch of kids who've basically known nothing else and who've grown up in a world where an online social life is just this tremendously important thing

So are you not aware that your definition of "millennial" here is pretty much gen x plus a small bit of the actual millennials because lol my dude.

ate all the Oreos posted:

That's not really an era that exists, ubiquitous computing postdates the internet being huge

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The millennials window keeps changing. I was born in 1980 and I remember nightly news segments in the late nineties talking about us millennials and what a bright future we had.

since then the window keeps moving because "millennial" means "dumb kid I don't like" now.

I figure boomers are 46-64, GenX 64-79, millennials 80-96 or so.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

age cohorts is a dumb as gently caress concept and i cannot believe yall still take it seriously or even ever did

Apr 7, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

age cohorts is a dumb as gently caress concept and i cannot believe yall still take it seriously or even ever did

It's useful to take the 1980 and up group as a cohort because they share one very important thing, getting hosed over by their parents economically.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

rjmccall posted:

the persian gulf war is easy to forget, and that's exactly my point. it didn't leave much of a cultural mark; i remember the news showing rocket streaks in a dark sky, and burning oil fields, but then it was over. there were very few american casualties and the fighting was done with in less than six weeks

like sure, reagan sent troops to a bunch of places, and clinton shot off a lot of rockets and sent troops to a bunch of other places. i'm not claiming that america is like a peaceful country. i'm saying that none of it was culturally significant in the same way as the iraq war has been, or as viet nam was

i appreciate your correct spelling of viet nam

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

holy poo poo Methuselah

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FrozenVent posted:

i would have loudly said, 'i quit' right then and there and walked out the door because holy poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

my point is that 'millennial' isn't a cohort anymore, it's just a slur old people use to slag on kids they don't like.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

palantir implemented algorithmic racism in nola

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

i know i'm definitely seeing points raised that certainly haven't been brought up the last six times yospos decided to argue about it. educational all around.

Apr 7, 2003

in thirty years, people who are currently being called "millennials" are going to bitch about the millennials and how they're stupid and ruining everything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

at least no one is saying gen y anymore, that was a dumb label

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

duz posted:

at least no one is saying gen y anymore, that was a dumb label

ive been seeing gen z here and there.