Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hanko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys here's my travel plan, what do you think

live with my wife in Japan ----> leave her to go work in china for some random amount of time, because lol of having built a life in china -----> come back to Japan at some point, in the future, a bit after my son has grown and possibly forgot who I am

anyway, feedback is appreciated

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

----> ??? ----> profit

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Is that for sure though, I read online that some banks like Japan Post don't require a hanko.

How long does it take to get a Hanko anyway?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

hey guys here's my travel plan, what do you think

live with my wife in Japan ----> leave her to go work in china for some random amount of time, because lol of having built a life in china -----> come back to Japan at some point, in the future, a bit after my son has grown and possibly forgot who I am

anyway, feedback is appreciated

Sever

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Is that for sure though, I read online that some banks like Japan Post don't require a hanko.

How long does it take to get a Hanko anyway?

I opened accounts at MUFJ and Shinsei with no hanko, but they may require for Japanese citizens, who knows.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You should already have a hanko anyway because they are cute and cool. It needs to be carved, not self-inking. If you have a normal last name then hanko shops and/or Daiso should have one available for immediate purchase.
Custom carving is 1-3 days depending on how busy the shop is.
I have a katakana hanko for official stuff, use a 100 yen hanko with my husband's name for my time sheet, and have a few self-inking hanko for accepting packages.

peanut fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 28, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

You should already have a hanko anyway because they are cute and cool. It needs to be carved, not self-inking. If you have a normal last name then hanko shops and/or Daiso should have one available for immediate purchase.
Custom carving is 1-3 days depending on how busy the shop is.
I have a katakana hanko for official stuff, use a 100 yen hanko with my husband's name for my time sheet, and have a few self-inking hanko for accepting packages.

It should also be pinku.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Alternatively, don't go anywhere near a bank that requires a hanko. I've been v happy with Rakuten's online bank. Took me about a week to get an account set up because of the extra stuff Americans have to submit, but I think you could get it done faster if you needed to.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And where do you get cash from?
If you're outside of Tokyo, a regional bank and/or post office bank has the most ATM presence. Employers often have a preferred bank so they can automate payroll/avoid transfer fees.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 1, 2018

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For Rakuten it's basically any combini ATM nationwide. Good luck getting cash from a regional bank on a Sunday. Regional banks are only still around because obaachans need a tsuucho to keep track of their dwindling retirement nest eggs.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah you get a certain number of free withdrawals per month according to how much is in your account from lots/all(?) combini ATMs. I generally use 7-11 or the post office ones.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
To put this into perspective, my salary gets deposited at SMBC, but they wouldn't give me a credit card and didn't offer a debit card (lol). So I opened up a Rakuten account, and they're just 1,000x easier to deal with. I got a debit card, ATM coverage is better because of the combini/post office ATMs, the mobile app is slightly less retarded than the two you have to have to use SMBC, etc...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What is even the difference between credit and debit cards in japan? I have an smbc card but I have to pay the balance every month but sometimes stores ask me if I wanna spread payments out if I buy something big.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You used to need a credit card to get a cell phone contract although I think they might take debit now, not sure. Apple Pay still only works with credit cards in Japan, afaik. vOv

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I think my card is debit but using リボばらい (revolving payment) makes it a credit purchase split into installments with an interest rate, which is bad, so I never use that. (JCB card through Tsutaya.)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Debit card means the money comes right out of your bank account. That's why only banks are issuing such cards. That's why Japanese banks are issuing them to kids too -- you can get a Rakuten debit card at 16yo.

Credit card means you pay for something with credit. Then you are supposed to pay it back. In Japan you usually just setup automatic bank withdrawals for this. Ribobarai means you're using a credit line. Even on debit, stores will still ask if you want to spread the payment out, and you can say yes... but the transaction will just get declined afaik (debit cards don't have credit lines).

This is basically the same as the rest of the world, only difference is in Japan you set your repayment schedule at time of purchase (and can change it later if needed). For the rest of the world you set your repayment schedule to whatever you want, whenever you want, provided you pay the minimum.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 1, 2018

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

zmcnulty posted:

This is basically the same as the rest of the world, only difference is in Japan you set your repayment schedule at time of purchase (and can change it later if needed). For the rest of the world you set your repayment schedule to whatever you want, whenever you want, provided you pay the minimum.

*~omotenashi~*

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

church ladyboy omedeto

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So is credit card debt in japan a big problem?

Sure people can still borrow money from loan sharks and all but with the system set up it seems really hard to overspend beyond your means

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The biggest problem, and the reason it's so difficult for foreigners to get credit cards, is students coming over from the mainland and running their cards to the limit the day before they leave the country.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

The biggest problem, and the reason it's so difficult for foreigners to get credit cards, is students coming over from the mainland and running their cards to the limit the day before they leave the country.

Are we talking mostly China or other places, too?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The big problem with Japan is they are too explicit in making people agree to revolving credit arrangements when the correct way to do things is have a college drop out swipe a piece of plastic to make ends meet until something forcibly stops them.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bofast posted:

Are we talking mostly China or other places, too?

I'm just trolling caberham.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

peanut posted:

church ladyboy omedeto

:peanut::nyoron:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I'm just trolling caberham.

My bad. Carry on :ssh:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
So, they apparently just removed the requirement to have a license in order to give tours professionally back in Jan.

Who wants to start an official goon tour guide company.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Good thing, that test was way too goddamn hard. "Which of these 4 pics shows the temple where some obscure thing happened literally centuries ago?"

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Good thing, that test was way too goddamn hard. "Which of these 4 pics shows the temple where some obscure thing happened literally centuries ago?"

Yeah I remember you talking about it in the past; sounds like it’s definitely for the best and maybe now they’ll actually have enough guides for the olympics etc.

I’m actually looking to change jobs and it’s tempting to go back to Japan just so I could try to cash in on travelers for the rugby World Cup and olympics.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone have experience with Iya Valley? We want to try to fit in a bunch of stuff in one day in early October and we’re wondering if this sounds possible with a rental car. We’re scheduling taking much longer to drive than Google’s suggested times just due to the risky driving conditions in the area. Plan is to rent a car in Naruto the day before, do stuff there and arrive in a guesthouse (TBD) in the Iya area that night.

8:00am - 9:30am
Husband and wife bridges, plus rope pulley bridge (Yaen)

11:00am - 12:30pm
Dolls village

2:30pm - 3:30pm
Forest adventure zipline

4:30pm - 5:15pm
Peeing boy statue

8:00pm
Arrive in Naruto to return car

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anyone have a good suggestion for a data SIM card rental company. Living in Canada but flying into Narita from Hong Kong mid April. Will be spending around 8 days.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That sounds reasonable for Iya, are those bridges the same or different from Kazura-bashi?

Canada person, you can get good international SIMs in HK so buy one there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have an unlocked GSM phone, give http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english a try.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
other countries are better than canada, you don't have to pay for an empty sim.

HK - there's the 7 day tourist pass which you can get every convenient store

Japan - bmobile or whatever, try the airport

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've been looking into renting a wifi router while I'm there. Seems like it'd be as good as a data SIM but without the problem of different phone numbers or incompatible phones.

No idea how well they actually work though, especially as some only seem to work in 'urban' areas unless you pay a premium.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I rented a pocket wifi when I was in the Tokyo area. The reception was fine, even on my day trips to Kamakura and Mt. Takao, but the internal battery drained pretty fast and I soon learned to switch it off when I wasn't actively using it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
you pop a data sim card that can allows tethering into the egg. It generates a wifi hotspot, and there you go. Just beware they run of of juice after 3-4 hours so you need a battery charging pack.

Shiiiiiit, I have been ranting on about sim cards and stuff for 6 years. Aren't goons supposed to be older nerdier folks?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Does anyone know of websites that do long-form journalism in Japanese? I guess it exists in print but I'm wondering if there's anything online. Paid/subscription is fine.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone have experience with Iya Valley? We want to try to fit in a bunch of stuff in one day in early October and we’re wondering if this sounds possible with a rental car. We’re scheduling taking much longer to drive than Google’s suggested times just due to the risky driving conditions in the area. Plan is to rent a car in Naruto the day before, do stuff there and arrive in a guesthouse (TBD) in the Iya area that night.

8:00am - 9:30am
Husband and wife bridges, plus rope pulley bridge (Yaen)

11:00am - 12:30pm
Dolls village

2:30pm - 3:30pm
Forest adventure zipline

4:30pm - 5:15pm
Peeing boy statue

8:00pm
Arrive in Naruto to return car

I highly recommend checking out this onsen, it's near the peeing boy: https://www.iyaonsen.co.jp/en/ You take a cable car down to the hot spring at the river's edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I buy travel sims when I go to Japan and they work fine. They sell them at the airports too.

I think last time I got 1gb 4G/LTE unlimited 3G for 10 days and it was like 20USD or so which seemed like a p good deal. I remember it being way cheaper than my normal data plan.

e: also unless you have a bad (read: CDMA or carrier locked) or very old phone, everything pretty much works everywhere, and the travel sims are usually made to work with international phones anyway.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 5, 2018