Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Remember when everyone said Dreamworks was gonna take over as the top animation company from Disney and Pixar? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Remember when everyone said Dreamworks was gonna take over as the top animation company from Disney and Pixar? :lol:

I don't

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I just can't bring myself to care about a RE that isn't just literally RE4. I haven't even played most of the other ones so it's not like I'm actually basing this on a particular dislike of their mechanics or look, but just every time I look at a given RE game I think "...or I could still go back to kicking zombie heads off while dressed up as a 1920s gangster."

You can still kick heads off in 5/6 but with slightly worse controls and uglier environments

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What no

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the idea that Dreamworks was gonna overtake Disney/Pixar comes from an era when Pixar had yet to make a bad movie and people that became oddly bitter about that were really hoping to see Pixar fall flat on their face, so they started putting way to much stock into the better Dreamworks movies.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never met anyone like that. Presumably they’re all dead now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Nate RFB posted:

I just can't bring myself to care about a RE that isn't just literally RE4. I haven't even played most of the other ones so it's not like I'm actually basing this on a particular dislike of their mechanics or look, but just every time I look at a given RE game I think "...or I could still go back to kicking zombie heads off while dressed up as a 1920s gangster."
I played REmake for the first time this year, having only played RE4 previously, and thought it was a lot of fun. It's a different sorta game than RE4, but I can see why it was so beloved - and why so many of its fans were upset about the change in direction the series took. If you're a fan of survival horror or adventure games, it's an easy recommendation.

That said, between the two of them I feel like I've gotten all I want out of the Resident Evil franchise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think the idea that Dreamworks was gonna overtake Disney/Pixar comes from an era when Pixar had yet to make a bad movie and people that became oddly bitter about that were really hoping to see Pixar fall flat on their face, so they started putting way to much stock into the better Dreamworks movies.

Shrek beat Monsters Inc for an oscar in 2001. We should have realized at the time it was a sign of the impending apocalypse and not the ascendance of Dreamworks.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

oddium posted:

two of my friends shot the lord of the mountain because they though they'd get mad cash for it. instead they're going to gamer prison

I nuked the entire mountaintop with volleys of bomb arrows

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

You can still kick heads off in 5/6 but with slightly worse controls and uglier environments
RE4 is just the perfect storm of dumb fun action movie, even if other games controlled better and the environments were rad it's hard to think it could capture that sort of adventurous feeling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the first movie dreamworks made on their own was prince of egypt. with that as your opening act its kinda reasonable for people to have high hopes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While 4 is technically better Resi 2 is still my favourite. All the mainline games apart from maybe 0 are worth playing though as long as you're not bothered by the controls for the older ones.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

While 4 is technically better Resi 2 is still my favourite. All the mainline games apart from maybe 0 are worth playing though as long as you're not bothered by the controls for the older ones.
RE2 has a real good atmosphere that still holds up despite (Because of?) the PSX graphics too. It'll be real interesting to compare it to the upcoming remake.

But yeah I think most RE games except Survivor 2 have at least something going for them. Even RE0 is kind of interesting in a failed experiment sort of way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played RE2 on the N64 and was blown away that they somehow got pre-rendered cutscenes on the cart.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

RE2 has a real good atmosphere that still holds up despite (Because of?) the PSX graphics too. It'll be real interesting to compare it to the upcoming remake.

But yeah I think most RE games except Survivor 2 have at least something going for them. Even RE0 is kind of interesting in a failed experiment sort of way.

I like 0 quite a lot, moreso the more later REs I play that all have AI coop buddies, the deliberate nature of 0's dual character structure was pretty unique. The item management was annoying though, I wish it had item boxes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RE4 is the only RE I like

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

70% of 0's problems would be solved if it still had item boxes in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

70% of 0's problems would be solved if it still had item boxes in.
That or if the shotgun/hookshot only took up one item slot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Resident Evil 7 was really good and in any other year besides the best year in video games in decades it probably would have made my top five

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

That or if the shotgun/hookshot only took up one item slot.

The hookshot should have just been something a character could do. Multiple times I had to run back to the beginning of area to pick that drat thing up again

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
RE0 suffers from extremely bog-standard level design. It feels like it's going through really familiar motions -- get item, take to location X, use at object Y, rinse and repeat. The inventory juggling doesn't help.

Resident Evil games do not usually benefit from having a lot of locations -- the worst ones tend to have the most varied stages (RE3, RE5) while the best ones are largely localized (REmake, RE2, RE7) to cohesive locations. That's because a lot of the fun of Resident Evil is approaching it as a huge puzzle box, or like a Gordian knot -- you need to find the right thread to tug at, and then you can start to untangle it. Finding that thread, not wasting your resources, and successfully following that thread to open the next area and set of challenges is the core gameplay cycle of any RE and most similar survival horror games. That experience is far less enjoyable when you're essentially just repeating it over and over in new locations, as opposed to gradually opening up and developing a single setting, which lets them communicate the horror a lot better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I still prefer RE1, partly because I can beat that game with my eyes closed but it also represents the ideal adventure game. A couple hours long, holds up under repeat plays, not too challenging. To me it's like Maniac Mansion meets Evil Dead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Revelations was the first RE game I ever played but it was a lot of fun and I really really enjoyed the raid mode in that so hopefully they put more raid modes in future RE games for people to enjoy and not just the Revelations games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Revelations was the first RE game I ever played but it was a lot of fun and I really really enjoyed the raid mode in that so hopefully they put more raid modes in future RE games for people to enjoy and not just the Revelations games.

It's an evolution of mercenaries so I wouldn't be surprised. I assume there isn't a similar mode in 7 because it wouldn't really fit the tone

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

7 doesnt have any side modes at all right? Thats lame

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think there's a bunch but they're DLC

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's utterly baffling that Capcom hasn't made a standalone Mercenaries game that's not on the flipping 3DS. They're leaving money on the table because they could just reuse 6's engine and have a potentially great game on the relative cheap that could last them awhile if they add new content periodically and could even have cosmetics as long as they don't eat the game. Instead they made poo poo like Umbrella Corps and ORC.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Here's a little System Shock 2 Gamer Joke for you Gamers out there!

Why did The Many go back to using Teamspeak?

Because they couldn't silence the Discord!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Nah

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/pixeljunknews/status/969022018489221120
https://twitter.com/dylancuthbert/status/969023487523213312

Wanna see that sweet jam session.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Oh no!!!

Also Far Cry 5 gonna be good and it's the only Far Cry I've been interested in because it's set in Fun Place against Fun Enemies rather than Boring Whatever Land and doing Whatever Boring Whatever Stuff They Care About

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Shrek is a good-rear end movie, maybe better than Monsters Inc even.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My first experience with shrek was the novelization of the movie shrek.

Not the book that shrek is an adaptation of. A novelization of the movie.

It was sent to me through one of those monthly book club mail things. It was pretty much written as if someone was watching the movie and writing a description of what was happening in the movie.

I'm not really a fan of shrek though, also that bird scene legit freaked me out and it still makes me feel bad because I'm dumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I jumped back into RE5 bc I didn't want to leave it unfinished before getting fully into 6 and man this game feels so much better than 6

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A former dreamworks animator was a design teacher at my university and the advice he gave me was to stop sucking dick down at the docks for petty cash

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

In Training posted:

getting fully into 6

Why

Play 1 2 and 4 that's the only good Resi

Also 7 I guess

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol at how neon bright the capra demon location is

McDragon