Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Can't you use your Sling credentials and log into the Disney app directly for those shows?

Also, thanks for the advice on the antenna. If that one doesn't work, what do you think about the one Proteus Jones mentioned above? It's not absolute that I get the Lafayette stations, but that's kind of the point of swapping out my antenna.

On a side note, pointing that correctly makes a huge difference. The NBC station was only coming in at 50%, so in order to make sure I saw the Super Bowl, I turned my antenna two tiny turns to the right. Suddenly it was showing at 61% strength, but almost all my other channels dropped tremendously. After the Super Bowl, two tiny turns back left, and I'm back in business. I really need a metallic Sharpie to mark this spot on the pole.
The antenna you linked has a one piece reflector so both arrays are locked facing the same direction, the antenna Proteus linked has the array split so you could aim one element Baton Rouge and one at Lafayette but with reduced range. If your set on buying instead of DIYing I would get the antenna Proteus linked to be able to tweak and find out what works best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

The antenna you linked has a one piece reflector so both arrays are locked facing the same direction, the antenna Proteus linked has the array split so you could aim one element Baton Rouge and one at Lafayette but with reduced range. If your set on buying instead of DIYing I would get the antenna Proteus linked to be able to tweak and find out what works best.

I dunno if you missed burrito's opener where he addressed your Mickey issue, but getting on a streaming service that authenticates on the Disney app is your best bet. A quick Google shows Hulu and DirecTVnow as allowing login.

If you want to stick with Sling, chances are you have a family member with a cable package who has included app logins they aren't using or interested in using. That's what I do - I sign in using my dad's cable account.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I've been using a sling trial I got with my TV and it's nice to be able to watch garbage tv in a noncommital manner again. What's generally considered the best of the sling-like services? Are any of them 5.1 yet or less horribly compressed than sling?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Crotch Fruit posted:

In Janurary, Cox decided my bill was going from $150 to $240/month. I made 12 phone calls speaking to every department they had and now I have a sling subscription and an antenna. It's incredible how much more clear the Superbowl was with OTA compared to Cox cable. Before choosing sling I also did a trial of Hulu with live TV but I could never figure out how to get the DVR to work and it felt like they were trying hard to bury the live TV in menus.

Unfortunately, there is a problem. My 3yr old is addicted to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Mickey and the Roadster Racers, both of which were saved on the Cox DVR for the past 3 years. Sling's DVR doesn't work on Disney channel. I pay $50 for 100mbps internet, and ~$50 for Sling. Ironically, after canceling my cable subscription, suddenly a new package for $89.99/month for cable, DVR, and internet is now available to me, and it satisfy my toddler's cravings for Mickey.

I have not tried Direct TV Now or PSVue, Youtube TV is not available in my area. Is there a better option for on demand Mickey Mouse Clubhouse?

I use a DIY version of this antenna (coat hanger, 2x4, some wire) and it works great, it's an effective design I would just recommend building one instead of buying since the materials are ridiculously cheap. It is still a very directional antenna, just not as directional as a yagi, I wouldn't expect to get all of those stations.
The lowest tier of PS Vue (at least in my area) includes Disney Channel/Junior/XD. The Vue DVR has worked great for me, although it only keeps stuff that aired within 28 days so you can't horde stuff long-term. Also I just checked and both of those shows have stuff available on-demand within Vue. Both DVR and on-demand stuff gets consolidated in your show list, so it works out real nice.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Came across this while grumbling about lovely access to the Winter Olympics:

https://www.suppose.tv/

Something look at if you're deciding what TV streaming service to get. Channel priorities and device filters. Sorta neat!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That is an awesome website.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
DirecTV Now has a promo going on right now. New customers can get a free Apple TV 4K if they sign up and prepay for three months: https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

The cheapest package is $35/mo, which means you can get a $180 Apple TV for $105.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I did the DirecTV now thing. It's really not a bad deal on its own but adding on the AppleTV is crazy, and I got my AppleTV within like 3 days. Very surprised.

Then again I live in Dallas where ATT is headquartered.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
First time they had the AppleTV deal, you could also go to an ATT store and get one/sign up.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We've been using a Tivo roamio OTA for the past few years to receive OTA and manage our streaming apps, and it's been wonderful up to the point where we came home this afternoon and it's dead.

Is there a different box out there that would let us both receive OTA channels and manage our streaming stuff (mostly just Hulu and Plex) on one remote/input. I would really love not to plug the antenna straight into the TV's receiver.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Huxley posted:

We've been using a Tivo roamio OTA for the past few years to receive OTA and manage our streaming apps, and it's been wonderful up to the point where we came home this afternoon and it's dead.

Is there a different box out there that would let us both receive OTA channels and manage our streaming stuff (mostly just Hulu and Plex) on one remote/input. I would really love not to plug the antenna straight into the TV's receiver.

You could get weird with a ShieldTV and HDHomerun, but if you were happy with the Roamio and can transfer that lifetime subscription I'd consider just replacing it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Call TiVo about a repair. Find out if it's just the HDD

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I think my Winegard LNA-200 died over the weekend. I get the same reception I get when it's not being powered but I even changed outlets. My external antenna isn't grounded. I guess I should get it grounded eh? Or is that pretty rare?

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IAmKale posted:

DirecTV Now has a promo going on right now. New customers can get a free Apple TV 4K if they sign up and prepay for three months: https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

The cheapest package is $35/mo, which means you can get a $180 Apple TV for $105.

If you have a Bank of America credit card, many of them are also giving $35 cash back on a DirectTV Now subscription for the next few days.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Turner channels were added to YouTube TV today. They also announced a price increase from $35 to $40 that will happen on March 13th. Existing subscribers will be locked into $35 for now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Turner channels were added to YouTube TV today. They also announced a price increase from $35 to $40 that will happen on March 13th. Existing subscribers will be locked into $35 for now.

Now that I've learned they released an Apple TV app (and AndroidTV app), I just signed up for the trial. It's not the most channel rich, but it has almost all the of the sports channels, local broadcast channels, and a few of the cable networks I like. Plus the unlimited DVR is pretty good. I can see paying $35/mo which is why I'm doing this now. I'm not sure $40/mo would be worth it.

Initial impressions: Like the show guide. Like the recommendations page. Navigation seems a little jerky at times, but nothing I would lose my poo poo over. Don't like that I can't set a list of "favorite channels", but something I can live without if need be. I'm going to pick a combo of pre-recorded and live sporting events to test the DVR over the weekend.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Biggest issue with YouTube TV is your DVR recordings will be replaced with OnDemand offerings when they come available which usually means losing the ability to skip commercials.

So, the DVR is most useful for same day time shifting rather than accumulate and binge.

A good chunk of their channels are 60fps now though, so that's good.

YouTube TV is also if the only OTT providers that offers Smithsonian channel in the lowest tier (or, actually, at all) which I find interesting.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 14, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Can anyone get into the DirectTV dvr beta? That's really the only thing that's holding me back from getting it as a service, it has all the channels I need, which is apparently a dealbreaker for every other service.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Biggest issue with YouTube TV is your DVR recordings will be replaced with OnDemand offerings when they come available which usually means losing the ability to skip commercials.

So, the DVR is most useful for same day time shifting rather than accumulate and binge.

A good chunk of their channels are 60fps now though, so that's good.

YouTube TV is also if the only OTT providers that offers Smithsonian channel in the lowest tier (or, actually, at all) which I find interesting.

Have you had a chance to use it for sporting events? How well does it deal with overtimes or unusually long events?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Can anyone get into the DirectTV dvr beta? That's really the only thing that's holding me back from getting it as a service, it has all the channels I need, which is apparently a dealbreaker for every other service.

I’ve been using it for a couple months now, I think it’s still invite only. DVR works mostly as expected. Football games didn’t DVR, don’t know if that was a bug or content right. My DVR has been wiped a couple times but that’s not unusual for beta testing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Have you had a chance to use it for sporting events? How well does it deal with overtimes or unusually long events?

I don't watch sports so I can't say.

I've only been screwing around with it on and off. Did the trial back in October and just resubscribed last night due to the added channels and the price increase. I've been wanting to try it again since they added a native TV app for my LG TV and the Roku additions were nice as well.

I still have FiosTV so this is basically just service tourism for me. Though, YouTube TV has a few channels I don't have in my cable package and the $35 price is less than what it would cost me to add them, so it's possible it may stick around longer term for me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 14, 2018

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maneki Neko posted:

It works OK. My biggest gripe is that I could only use the 10 second skip option on my Apple TV to FFD and RWD through my recording.

gret fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 14, 2018

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there a page that lists App support for all the major streaming services? I went with PSVue because it has the most apps you could log into with it. I assume that the other providers have upped their game and offer close to, or the same amount that PSVue does now?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

badjohny posted:

Is there a page that lists App support for all the major streaming services? I went with PSVue because it has the most apps you could log into with it. I assume that the other providers have upped their game and offer close to, or the same amount that PSVue does now?

The closest I could find is this 6 month old (last edited) reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/69z5fd/streaming_services_tv_everywhere_login_support/

Not even TV Everywhere's own site maintains a complete list.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Huxley posted:

Hi thread, not sure if this is old news but there is now a TiVo Roamio OTA VOX:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Unlike when the Roamio OTA was introduced, the lifetime subscription ("All-In Service Plan") is included standard.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

We have been using my in laws log in for Disney Jr for my daughters to be able to watch on the Roku channel. They just changed their package and got rid of the channels.

My brother has PSVue. He has used my Netflix and Hulu log ins for years so I am calling in a favor. I do not need to log into PSVue, just the DisneyNow channel.

How “portable” is the PSVue log in? Do they restrict it to only the home IP address? Would the DisneyNow channel even recognize the difference?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We have been using my in laws log in for Disney Jr for my daughters to be able to watch on the Roku channel. They just changed their package and got rid of the channels.

My brother has PSVue. He has used my Netflix and Hulu log ins for years so I am calling in a favor. I do not need to log into PSVue, just the DisneyNow channel.

How “portable” is the PSVue log in? Do they restrict it to only the home IP address? Would the DisneyNow channel even recognize the difference?

If I recall correctly Vue is very picky about home location and if it's vastly different than the bill zip code, it's going to throw a fit.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If I recall correctly Vue is very picky about home location and if it's vastly different than the bill zip code, it's going to throw a fit.

I was reading and it seems like the PSVue app/channel is exactly like you said. Unfortunately, I am not finding out if The TV Everywhere channels would also spaz about it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was reading and it seems like the PSVue app/channel is exactly like you said. Unfortunately, I am not finding out if The TV Everywhere channels would also spaz about it?

TV Everywhere should work since it's only verifying the account is active. As far as I know it doesn't pass location info to Sony and uses its own to confirm you're in the US.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone know what I need to subscribe and watch DirectvNow outside the USA? I know I need a DNS service/VPN but not sure about how to pay for DirectvNow and what postal address to use.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've been trying the Youtube TV trial a few days now. Think I'm going to stick with them since they have the channels I want and the unlimited dvr is kind of cool. Problem I am having that I don't know if it's really a Yttv problem is that I normally stream on my macbook which is hooked up to my second monitor via hdmi. When we had Comcast Xfinity, I could stream in HD no problem (for the channels/recordings that allowed it) with this setup. But with Yttv I can only stream in SD. If I unplug the hdmi cable and stream just on the macbook display, the HD options are avail, but as soon I plug in hdmi they are gone. This is some kind of HDCP issue from what I understand. But I know the monitor and cable work ok with hdcp if plug it into my desktop I can stream hd to it. So some issue with yttv or my macbook not doing it correctly I guess.

Otherwise, I was looking at Roku's site and they have a deal where when you activate any device they give you $50 in Sling credits if anyone is interested.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
TIL that Plex client and server are both flaky AF when there is no outside internet connection available. I guess they both constantly try to log in somewhere?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there are some solutions, but it’s all depending on what client hardware you’re using and sometimes you have to have it set up prior to losing internet connection. It’s a real shithouse.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I want to dump Comcast cable and go full streaming netflix/hulu/etc., but the thing stopping me is NFL football. I watch redzone channel on Sundays during the regular season, on my nice big HDTV. I do not want to switch from cable to satellite. I have Verizon for my cell phone service (not the unlimited package, not needed for now). Verizon FIOS is not available here.

What's my cheapest option to both dump comcast and continue (legally) watching NFL redzone in HD from my couch?

pmchem fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 4, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That suppose.tv says the cheapest for Redzone is Sling Blue + Sports Addon for $35/mo. https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=15&f=1l15l305l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJcYJK9Iz

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

phosdex posted:

That suppose.tv says the cheapest for Redzone is Sling Blue + Sports Addon for $35/mo. https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=15&f=1l15l305l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJcYJK9Iz

Someone in TFF complained that SlingTV redzone constantly went SD (sub-HD) quality or was a number of seconds behind the broadcast feed. Anyone here have experience with it to comment?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

pmchem posted:

Someone in TFF complained that SlingTV redzone constantly went SD (sub-HD) quality or was a number of seconds behind the broadcast feed. Anyone here have experience with it to comment?

Can't comment on the quality change but all the online TV services are going to be behind broadcast feeds regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I used RedZone on Sling last season. I watched on my Nvidia ShieldTV that's hardwired to my router and it was always in HD. Never had any issues with Sling when I had it.