Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

tuo posted:

Even with loadcell, I prefer socks.

Yeah. I have a huge dumb set and and still use socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I use some leather LL Bean slippers because they keep my feet warm and don't have a rubber sole so they have pretty good pedal feel compared to shoes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I have a load cell and I find my braking is better when I wear shoes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't buy official puma mercedes racing shoes to be bad at simulated racing, I don't know why you bothered setting up a sim cockpit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Usually socks, but if I'm still wearing my gym shoes (thin wrestling shoes) then those are fine.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think I might just get some like thin house slippers to be honest. I have a lot of holes in all my socks from SIM racing

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
:siren: Pcars 2 goon racing for Sunday Feb 25th :siren:

Ferrari 365 GTB4 Competizione

A couple 10 minute warm-ups and then 2 mini 30 minute enduros. Dynamic weather, time progression, Accelerated tire wear and fuel consumption will be turned on for the mini enduros.

Warm-ups: wherever
Mini-enduro 1: Monza gp
Mini-enduro 2: Imola go

Be there at 4:30 eastern

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 25, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

xzzy posted:

If you don't buy official puma mercedes racing shoes to be bad at simulated racing, I don't know why you bothered setting up a sim cockpit.

i was having trouble getting 3 stars in every drift zone until i wore these:

https://sundaydrivenyc.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/wearing-tsuchiyas-shoes/

i mean, i still used a gamepad but to keep focused i strapped myself into my swivel chair using an authentic 4 point harness by Takata with emergency quick release right over my sternum

one day i will get a wheel but up next on my list of priorities is installing a multi-panel panoramic rear view mirror so that i am better prepared to alt+tab into something that looks more productive when my gf walks into the room and asks me why i'm not doing preventative maintenance on my real shitbox Nissan

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

:siren: Pcars 2 goon racing for Sunday Feb 25th :siren:

Ferrari 365 GTB4 Competizione

A couple 10 minute warm-ups and then 2 mini 30 minute enduros. Dynamic weather, time progression, Accelerated tire wear and fuel consumption will be turned on for the mini enduros.

Warm-ups: wherever
Mini-enduro 1: Monza gp
Mini-enduro 2: Imola go

This is in 24 minutes. Let's get some people in there today!

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

This is in 24 minutes. Let's get some people in there today!

I'm in, the Daytona is a lot of fun in PC2.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Anyone else use a DS4 as a controller? I’ve got an issue with my computer that’s driving me nuts (Windows 10).

Using DS4Windows and when I plug my controller in 95% of the time it won’t register and I’ll have to go through the control panel multiple times and remove the device/uninstall drivers until it decides to work. I realize I could just get an Xbox controller (or a wheel but I ain’t got room for that) but I’d like to save $50 if at all possible. Anyone else run into this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I know Valve made their own DS4 support in steam. Does does steam's support for PS4 controllers work outside of steam?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It doesn’t work at all for me without DS4 windows. I didn’t even know steam had support for it. Kind of at a loss. It’s not the end of the world it’s just super annoying. May have to just suck it up and get an Xbox controller

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I use a DS4 on my PC for fighting games and when emulating old poo poo and it runs fine for me. I'm running it wired though as I don't have any blue tooth poo poo built into my rig. you running it wireless? maybe there's a problem with that.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I use DS4Windows but with the official Sony wireless adapter and it generally works pretty well. Are you using this fork? Dunno if it'll solve your problem but the original seems to be abandoned and I've been running this one with no issues.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just in case people don't check the iRacing thread (it's slow, I don't blame you): Gooncar iRacing starts again tomorrow, with 2 weeks of :siren: free content :siren: events so if you've let your sub lapse or haven't tried it yet, now is a good time to get some guaranteed racing with goons.

The events:

Vando posted:

Plan:

This Sunday (4th): Miata at Summit Point, rookie induction race etc

Next Sunday (11th): DW12 at Old Pocono, rookie destruction race

Usual time, 2130UTC (1630ET)

:getin:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
:siren: Pcars 2 goon racing for Sunday March 4th :siren:

Blizzard racing in Ford broncos.

A couple 10 minute warm-ups and then 2 mini 30 minute enduros. Harsh winter weather, time progression.

Which tracks feature full snow? Bathurst for sure. I think sakkito and the ring too. There are more though.

Then general loving around

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 4, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Son of a bitch

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 4, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

GutBomb posted:

Which tracks feature full snow?

Only ones that do not (as it was a shorter list)

Zuhai
    Willow Springs
    Texas Motor Speedway
    Sonoma
    Monza
    Mojave
    Long Beach
    Laguna Seca
    Imola
    Dubai
    Daytona
    CotA
    Catalunya
    Azure Coast
    Azure Circuit
    Algarve

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

:siren: Next Week (3/11) pCARS2 :siren:

Lotus Type 51

on

Rouen Les Essarts
Spa-Francorchamps Historic
Silverstone Classic
Hockenheim Classic

15 Minute race length, real weather

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 5, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kilonum posted:

:siren: Next Week (3/11) pCARS2 :siren:

Lotus Type 51

on

Rouen Les Essarts
Spa-Francorchamps Historic
Silverstone Classic
Hockenheim Classic

15 Minute race length, real weather, current date, 10am starts

Sweeeeeet

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

xzzy posted:

Where do you attach the reindeer?
Lol I was thinking the same sort of thing, I like it though. To the guy who built it: just wondering why you went with a PVC frame over timber? (because you have a lot of the latter in your build anyway)

Also, does anyone know of a good guide for seating positions which can be used to design something like this? I ask because my computer chair is already made out of a car seat mounted on a timber frame/legs made of 2x4s (seat rails and all adjustments are still in place and it's solid/planted enough that I can use all the adjustments through their full range without falling over), and I was thinking of adding a bit to the frame so that it can be converted to a cockpit on a temporary basis (I know that the "temporary" bit is kind of a fools errand but no way can I justify this to the missus otherwise).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I've been doing test runs on Spa for Sunday

OH GOD THE CARNAGE

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Fuzz1111 posted:

Lol I was thinking the same sort of thing, I like it though. To the guy who built it: just wondering why you went with a PVC frame over timber? (because you have a lot of the latter in your build anyway)

Hey that's me. I went with PVC because it's a somewhat proven design (google simul8r) and personally I thought it looked nicer when finished than what 2x4s would have looked like. Now of course it still looks like garbage anyway, it's just done enough that I've been enjoying it. Longer term plans are to minimally paint everything flat black and put it on a small platform w/wheels so it can be easily moved and it's closer in height to the TV.

Some minor complaints are that I would like the wheel a little bit higher (but then it would be too high for youngins), the steering wheel is a bit small, and playing rally games it sucks using a button for the handbrake. But I don't care enough about any of those to have to make a change right now.

From the beginning I wanted my son to be able to use it as well, it converts over to 6 year old mode pretty quickly. There have been 3 different kids play it so far and they've all loved it.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

dreesemonkey posted:

Hello fellow goons, I've been working on my first attempt at a simulator rig and I finally got all the important parts bolted down. Feels pretty good, but I haven't played any games on it yet as my PC, which I still need to use, is on a different floor.

Since someone will ask, the "slat" mounts are because I wanted my 6 year old son to be able to play too, as well as anyone who came over who is taller. The seat is on a sliding rail, but it didn't adjust nearly enough for me to a 6 year old, let alone someone taller than 5'7". It's a pretty good solution, though the front of the seat does push up if I'm letting it push my shoulders back into the seat instead of my lower back. I'm going to attempt to drive some shims into the front mount and see if that helps. I don't want to screw anything down, the goal was to make it as quick as possible to be able to change positions.

you should be worried that santa is going to sue you for a breach of copyright

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Its not on pc yet, but this looks good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/626610/TT_Isle_of_Man/

The review i read said its kinda barebones and the physics arent the best but the track makes up for it.

Anybody try it on console?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Impressive to have that chunk of pavement in a game now, but gently caress me doing a 37 mile lap. The nordschleife is annoying enough when you gently caress up a corner and ruin an entire lap, how pissed off is someone gonna be in this game when they stuff it 30 miles in?

That said, the best parts of the motogp games always were the fantasy tracks where you can weave through ridiculously unsafe scenery and now there's an entire game of that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There's also the one for AC
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/the-isle-of-man-tt.17415/

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
I'll be grabbing the PC version of the TT game when its out. I'll report back on how good/bad/ugly it is.

Judging by some videos I've seen though, it doesn't look too promising. Compared to say Ride 2, the bike and rider animations look janky as hell, and the handling looks very stiff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Gonna play it in VR, build my own SIM riding cockpit from a kids rocking horse. And I'll pose my realdoll™ on the back seat.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Are there any goons here who have the Fanatec brake kit applied?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

dreesemonkey posted:

Hey that's me. I went with PVC because it's a somewhat proven design (google simul8r)
Fair enough, still looks fine to me by the way (and let's face it aesthetics are rarely even a consideration for these things).

For steering wheel height, I can't see how you've mounted the wheel, but if you are using clamps on the wheel to secure it then you can temporarily raise it by opening clamps up and putting a flat peice of timber between wheel and desk (you might need to tighten clamps harder, and for my G25 I had to remove the little shoes/spacers off the clamps). It's only going to give you an extra inch of height max, but in my case (my carseat-chair is pretty tall and can't go up or down much) it made the difference between whether or not I would almost hit myself in the nuts everytime I went more than ~110 degrees steering lock.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

tuo posted:

Are there any goons here who have the Fanatec brake kit applied?

I have the brake performance kit. Don’t suppose you’re having issues installing it?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smirk posted:

I have the brake performance kit. Don’t suppose you’re having issues installing it?

Nah, I really like it actually. Just interested in what combination of inserts people are running. I currently have the 13mm red plus 13mm green, and I'm uncertain on wether I should move one step harder (13mm red replaced with the 12mm green)

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
That tt isle of man is $71 for standard edition on xbone. Lol what? I think thats the most expensive game ive ever seen for just the base on xbone. I know thats only a couple bucks more than most aaa releases but this is also barely even a game. It looks glorious and ill definetly pick it up at some point but lol no way in hell im paying that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I wish there were good motorcycle controls like there are good wheels out there.

Also the only good motorcycle racing game was Tourist Trophy on PS2, don’t @ me

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I wish there were good motorcycle controls like there are good wheels out there.

Make a really long joystick and sit on it so you can lean into turns.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Also this talk has me itching for a moto sim, i have moto 17 i had a fps stutter i just could not fix. I heard 18 was better anybody try it? Also ride 2 looks pretty good the track selection is solid, was it any good? The language in reviews on that is so similar im pretty sure they are all press releases. Every single one starts with "ride 2 achieves what ride 1 set out to do..." etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You just gotta buy one of those arcade racing games that actually lets you lean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup. Actually the bars should allow you to counter steer. That would actually be kind of realistic. Put pressure on the handlebar in the opposite direction should make it lean over, and it would be spring so that it wants to return to straight up like a real Moto.

Also just to clarify. MotoGP is an entire leap above the top tier of Isle TT. Kind of like going from touring cars to formula 1, except a smaller performance gap.