Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Arzachel posted:

You're going at it from the wrong direction. Close the "It's a currency, pinky swear" loophole and have securities regulations apply to crypto. There, it's dead.
It's treated as a capital asset in the US. ICOs are classified as securities. Anyone not evading taxes is getting slammed already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I'm itching for a new card pretty bad since my 970 is starting to lag behind newer games, but goddamn these prices. I'm just sitting on my hands waiting to try and buy from Nvidia directly whenever they get back in stock (so I think I'll be waiting a while)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vaah posted:

I'm itching for a new card pretty bad since my 970 is starting to lag behind newer games, but goddamn these prices. I'm just sitting on my hands waiting to try and buy from Nvidia directly whenever they get back in stock (so I think I'll be waiting a while)

You'll have to beat out no-bullshit bots that are programmed to check retailers and nVidia's page for Founder's Editions and purchase them far more quickly than any meatsack could. That's how insane the craziest miners are.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014
I'm so happy I got in on an open box Microcenter 1080 Classified for $530. Too bad I moved to Florida and don't have one nearby any more.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You'll have to beat out no-bullshit bots that are programmed to check retailers and nVidia's page for Founder's Editions and purchase them far more quickly than any meatsack could. That's how insane the craziest miners are.

Well here's waiting for the ampere cards and maybe a price drop. I'm iffy on risking a second-hand potentially burnt out card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought we decided that you couldn’t burn out anything but the fan, no? What do you think will happen to the card through being used?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When the crypto drops and people sell cards. How safe are the used cards going to be?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Vaah posted:

Well here's waiting for the ampere cards and maybe a price drop.

Awwww. :3

Bots are going to buy those too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Grognan posted:

When the crypto drops and people sell cards. How safe are the used cards going to be?

Like in terms of communicable diseases?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Like in terms of communicable diseases?

More like which ones won't blow up

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
It's still doable to get cards, I posted a guide earlier. Yeah you basically need no life to do it, but it got me my MSI GTX 1070 Ti for $570 a couple weeks ago.

Alpha Mayo posted:

Also if you are trying to get a video card for around MSRP, I can offer some advice.

Don't use Nowinstock.net directly, they even say they lag too much due to the demand. Instead use the Google Groups they set up for notifications:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070-ti
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti

Subscribe to what you are trying to get. Then after subscribing, instead of waiting for email notifications to arrive, download an RSS reader like it's 2002, I like QuiteRSS.
The RSS feeds for those groups can be found on the About link on the Group site.
Then go into your options and set Automatically Update to a ridiculously low value, like 5 seconds. You also want to set up your Notification options so it creates a tray popup.
Make sure to have your billing info up-to-date on the major sites and not-as-popular sites like bhphotovideo.com or nVidia Store so you can check out quickly.

When you get a popup, you have to move on it right away. Consider even keeping images disabled to give you an edge if you are really desperate.
Only problem I have is the QuiteRSS isn't hyperlinking the actual URL, so I have to copy and paste it into a browser. Maybe there is a way to fix that or some other RSS reader might be better, I don't know.

Even with this method I've had zero luck with the Amazon links, probably because of their One Click order making it too easy to snatch up. But it gives you a good shot at cards from any other store.

Or you can just wait another couple weeks for demand to die down (hopefully).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grognan posted:

More like which ones won't blow up

Buy Pascal from Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI. Don't buy AMD, don't buy 1080s with inadequate 1060/1070 fans (MSI Armor) because while you can liquid cool them the previous person didn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Craptacular! posted:

Buy Pascal from Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI. Don't buy AMD, don't buy 1080s with inadequate 1060/1070 fans (MSI Armor) because while you can liquid cool them the previous person didn't.

What’s the thermal risk, exactly? I don’t understand what part of the system degrades because it ran a lot within its thermal design envelope.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This bubble isn't going to really pop for years, is it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the thermal risk, exactly? I don’t understand what part of the system degrades because it ran a lot within its thermal design envelope.

Technical explanation:
http://www.csl.mete.metu.edu.tr/Electromigration/emig.htm

tl;dr:
Two things cause breakdown of the silicon pathways, running the power high and running the temperature high. Guess what two things that miner who owned the card before you did.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

This bubble isn't going to really pop for years, is it.

This is only going to end if Ampere has some kind of heuristic to detect mining and cripple it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rastor posted:

Technical explanation:

tl;dr:
Two things cause breakdown of the silicon pathways, running the power high and running the temperature high. Guess what two things that miner who owned the card before you did.

Sure, I understand that electromigration exists. I’m asking how much damage running it within its thermal parameters can actually do over a year or two, for the specific GPUs at issue. Are we talking about cards in the wild with evidence of damage, or is it theoretical?

Do they make their data centre chips differently? Those are run at high load for extended periods too (ideally 24x7), but I haven’t heard about them wearing out after a few years.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

This is only going to end if Ampere has some kind of heuristic to detect mining and cripple it.
:laffo: if this somehow fucks over Vulkan

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Honestly? I'd take a theoretical performance hit on Vulkan to make GPUs actually available for retail purchase any day of the week.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Why would it gently caress over Vulkan in particular?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I don't understand this particular bit of speculation, what's the connection from vulkan to mining?

Efb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

When mining, does the GPU always stay pegged at a constant temperature or does it cycle up and down?

I'm wondering about heat cycles screwing with solder joints and realised I was *assuming* when mining they sit at a constant temperature. But for all I know it spikes up and down.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 5, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

When mining, does the GPU always stay pegged at a constant temperature or does it cycle up and down?

I'm wondering about heat cycles screwing with solder joints and realised I was *assuming* when mining they sit at a constant temperature. But for all I know it spikes up and down.

If you use an algorithm switcher the temp varies a bit since different algorithms put different loads on the GPU. If you're always just mining one thing though it would stay pretty constant.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think I'd take a miner card that had remained at a constant temperature within specs for most of its life, over one that's been thermally cycled a ton. Not sure if that's wise or not, and it's not like it's easily checked, but there have been tons of failures of cards over the years due to thermal cycling / solder issues.

I don't think I'd ignore nvidia mining cards just based on electromigration. But they'd have to be cheap enough to still be decently cheaper even with replacement fan / cooler cost / or a block or whatever.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 5, 2018

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder how much you could make selling bot software that would make the purchase for you... just let the customers set how many purchases of whatever card they want, then fire and forget until it hits that number...
:thunk:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

I think I'd take a miner card that had remained at a constant temperature within specs for most of its life, over one that's been thermally cycled a ton. Not sure if that's wise or not, and it's not like it's easily checked, but there have been tons of failures of cards over the years due to thermal cycling / solder issues.

I don't think I'd ignore nvidia mining cards just based on electromigration. But they'd have to be cheap enough to still be decently cheaper even with replacement fan / cooler cost / or a block or whatever.

Miner cards rarely stay at one temperature, the only time that would be true is if they didn't use an autoswitching algo (but almost everyone does, either Nicehash or Multipool Miner). Some algo's are very harsh on the GPU, harsher than Furmark.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People sell bots for buying yeezy shoes and supreme branded clothing and they dont pay that much. I think they "rent" the bot so they pay no matter what. Those bots probably work because they arent already competing with thousands of bots trying the same thing.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
It takes all of 10 minutes to make a bot. Maybe an extra hour if you want to beat the captcha with keras or something.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kazinsal posted:

Honestly? I'd take a theoretical performance hit on Vulkan to make GPUs actually available for retail purchase any day of the week.
same

it'd be excellent if they herded the miners to 3000 dollar quadros as well

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why would it gently caress over Vulkan in particular?
certain engines pretty much rely heavily on compute (id tech 6 namely)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

certain engines pretty much rely heavily on compute (id tech 6 namely)

Compute isn't unique to Vulkan. Compute shaders have been core in OpenGL since 4.3 and are fully supported in Direct3D11.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, I understand that electromigration exists. I’m asking how much damage running it within its thermal parameters can actually do over a year or two, for the specific GPUs at issue. Are we talking about cards in the wild with evidence of damage, or is it theoretical?

Do they make their data centre chips differently? Those are run at high load for extended periods too (ideally 24x7), but I haven’t heard about them wearing out after a few years.

No one knows the effect, but the 290s from the last surge were not as thermally resistant, didn't have the same safeguards, and were mostly just fine. I expect Pascal will be too. You might have a card that has 30% lower lifespan, but that is still probably 2-4x longer than you'd want to use it for gaming anyway.

Personally I think the risk is pretty low overall but to each their own.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the info just wondering because I have been building on a budget and my original plan of "wait till that new stuff is not as expensive" took a dive once people started buying for crypto

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

People sell bots for buying yeezy shoes and supreme branded clothing and they dont pay that much. I think they "rent" the bot so they pay no matter what. Those bots probably work because they arent already competing with thousands of bots trying the same thing.

At least with Yeezys and sneakers in general, you can easily get 1:1 replicas for a decent price shipped straight from China. You can’t say the same with graphics cards

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've been making the argument in the cryptothread that Pascal cards in particular, considering maximum length of time they can be used so far, are the safest mining cards to buy. Thermal cycling is at a minimum, Pascal bios simply does not allow temperatures to even approach cap and mosfet temperature ratings (which is critical). The only real "danger" is the fan life will be reduced, and fan tolerances vary quite a bit as the cost to make a seriously robust 24/7 fan is not in the scope of a video card. But other than that I would say swing away. We've already been through this exact scenario with much hotter and much less regulated cards, with tons of dangerous bios's being used on them (290s), and everybody loved those (at $200).

Once the bubble pops get ready!

Oh wait it already did

Oh there are chronic vram issues that have nothing to do with buttcoins

hmmmmmm

:(

(dont get your hopes up)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

At least with Yeezys and sneakers in general, you can easily get 1:1 replicas for a decent price shipped straight from China. You can’t say the same with graphics cards

Yeston is an official nVidia AIB partner.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Rastor posted:

Technical explanation:

tl;dr:

Probably not the two things that ruin efficiency.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Cheapest 1060 3 GB on Newegg is $340... man, production just has to be tapering off, there can't be any significant volume being sold at that price :wtc:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 6, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Those fell off the map for mining too

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Those fell off the map for mining too

I assume mining has fallen off the map in general... Without another big runup in Bitcoin prices, any hardware that's selling at current prices isn't paying itself back.

WhatToMine says a 570 is bringing in $1.37 a day after electricity, and a 570 is still running around $400, so that's a 300-day ROI with difficulty continuing to spike like crazy. The 1060 3 GB works out at a 300-day ROI too. Vega pulls in $2.15 a day on a $900 card for a 14 month ROI. And difficulty is going nowhere but up.

I have a hard time believing miners are racing out and buying hardware at those prices... maybe not selling but not buying either. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity though.

(although if you can sell at current prices, it's probably not stupid to do so... and if you think Bitcoin will jump, you can always buy the coins directly.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only thing that sort of makes sense (if you have no morals) is to casually mine. My 1080 ti will pay for itself in 2 years if I only mine during the cold months to heat my basement. I generally shift my btc payout to Newegg and Starbucks gift cards within a day.

The electrical usage is somewhat irresponsible but I'm in the energy extraction industry so I've already hosed mother earth so hard that she won't notice a bit of mining.