Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
They rereleased it recently iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
It kind of tickles me that the actress playing General Mom was previously a regular on, of all shows, The Shield. Can't get away from shields, I guess.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

And here I though Kasaius cut off Yo-Yo's arms to keep her from fighting back. That makes more sense than what happened. It's bad enough that she should have seen the chakram and easily avoided it, but then it also somehow managed to cut off both arms, at the same place?

I'm assuming that Ruby is not your standard teenage girl, considering the lengths her 'mother' goes to keep her locked up. I'm also not sure they're actually mother and daughter in the biological sense, although I guess it's possible. The whole thing is a little strange, as executing subordinates is usually frowned upon by the Air Force.

I'm also bummed that we've already lost not-Enoch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

double nine posted:

overall it was a clunky episode, both in terms of setting up plot threads as well as the fighting (I can't be the only one who thought that that encounter with the evil mooks was clunky right?). Regarding the first, a bunch of drama bs is coming from the fact that neither yo-yo nor coulson are talking to each other or the rest of the team. That's just a lazy source of drama.

Yeah, this is the one thing that's pissing me off too. She's told Mack at least some parts, but she absolutely needs to come clean to everyone about what she saw. There wasn't time last episode but there certainly was time this episode, and good reason to as well.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I kind of understand Yo-Yo's reluctance though. Time loops are finicky things. For all she knows, coming clean to the team will just end up with them doing things to try to avoid the end result that will inevitably lead to it in the first place. The paradoxical nature of their situation is like navigating a minefield.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, AoS is usually good for not falling into normal cliches of these kinds of shows where characters without information that is important for no real reason other than vague "i didn't want to hurt you" or something like that's reason.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I got confused by the Zima product placement and actually thought it was a smart subtle sign that they time traveled to the 90s instead of their own time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cocks Cable posted:

I got confused by the Zima product placement and actually thought it was a smart subtle sign that they time traveled to the 90s instead of their own time.

Need to pay for the sweet 1977 VDub Bus somehow.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

There is nobody on the planet who took a sip of beer, or coffee, or hard alcohol, and thought, "Mmm. Delicious." You drink it to get hosed up and eventually your tastebuds are numb enough that you don't mind drinking it.

Correct.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is the General creating her own Suicide Squad to take on SHIELD?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cocks Cable posted:

They rereleased it last year as a summer thing and it just kind of stuck around.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is the General creating her own Suicide Squad to take on SHIELD?

Thunderbolts, yeh pretty much.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I would not be surprised if Deke is the X factor that changes the future.

He is the one thing that's changed in the timeline.

Also now that Zeke is back in the past the theory that he's related to Hunter is way more credible.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AbsolutelySane posted:

I'm assuming that Ruby is not your standard teenage girl, considering the lengths her 'mother' goes to keep her locked up. I'm also not sure they're actually mother and daughter in the biological sense, although I guess it's possible. The whole thing is a little strange, as executing subordinates is usually frowned upon by the Air Force.

I'm also bummed that we've already lost not-Enoch.

I think she's either the result of cloning, Black Widow style training or both.

I can live with her looking so ridiculously Disney Princess but still being deadly if she was made in a lab.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Cocks Cable posted:

Was it really product placement? I thought we were supposed to laugh at the fact that he preferred the lightweight fruity drink that's usually for women because he had no experience with real beer or any social stigmas around it.

But I guess you're right that they probably couldn't mention it by name if they were intentionally giving it a negative connotation. Still I like my interpretation better and I think that makes it funnier if Zima actually paid for that.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Zima has always been the butt of jokes. I didn’t take it as product placement at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaveGrinch posted:

Zima has always been the butt of jokes. I didn’t take it as product placement at all.

I'm not in the US, but wasn't it a imited run? maybe it's finishing up.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Season 5, Episode 11: All the Comforts of Home

https://i.imgur.com/y7ov8ru.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/dqHSWO9.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/R9LoWq7.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/mgugEcz.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/lJzGl0K.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/YKrigQG.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/RAb2uYk.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/qFCScnJ.gifv

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deke and Zima was the perfect love story.

Jusupov posted:

And people said AoS would never reference the movies again

No, it's the other way around. The films will never reference the show.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bbf2 posted:

Was it really product placement?

When the bartender set it down, he then turned the bottle so you could clearly see the label, while the camera was focused on it. That's blatant product placement.

Seeing a neon sign for Zima on the bar wall while Deke is holding out his arm to pay is general product placement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why did nobody grab YoYos arms?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Cocks Cable posted:

The past...or maybe the future.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I also had seriously Babylon 5 flashbacks with the Zima scene

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Why did no one pick up her arms when they were leaving? Surely you would've just thrown them on the trolley with the bomb?!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And how do you lose both arms as a speedster? after the first was chopped off you think you'd think twice about catching the disk again

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Azhais posted:

And how do you lose both arms as a speedster? after the first was chopped off you think you'd think twice about catching the disk again

I dunno how the hell she lost even one arm. We weren't shown, because there isn't really a way that makes sense.

Even if it did make sense, they'd be cut off at the wrist or even fingers, not literally above the elbow.

Mymla fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 5, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Clearly the disc boomeranged and got one going out and one coming back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: Ohhh. She gets hit by it on her return trip.

Yoyo's trying to save Mac, not grab the chakram. Ruby took advantage of Yoyo's built in weakness.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 5, 2018

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Perhaps Yo-yo had her arms outstretched in front of her to push Mack out of the way and the disc was moving faster than she thought?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume she jumped in its path and it sliced through her arms as she had them outreached.

But i don't know why the disc sliced through both her arms and didn't just keep going and get Mack. Maybe they lost momentum or something? Maybe the Disney girl has bad aim? I don't know the technology of it. Maybe YoYo pushed him out of the way?

Luckily I don't really care.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Yo-Yo losing both arms is silly. She's not a traditional speedster, but we've seen what she sees when she does her thing and the world is frozen. The disk would have to be going faster than her to do what it did, but we could see it even when Yo-Yo was a blur. There is no logical way for it to have done what it did. Not based on what the scene showed us.

I'm confused and I hope they have a good explanation on how Ruby / not-Sinara did that.

It reminded me of the disk thing from Predator 2. Same sort of unstoppable cutting machine.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think the writers might not have planned for what exactly cut off Yoyo's arms when they had Future Yoyo show up with no arms, and this was the best they could come up with.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Rocksicles posted:

Thunderbolts, yeh pretty much.

I'm down for Thunderbolts in a theoretically MCU integrated show.

I'm also not too bothered by the practicality of how Yo-Yo got her arms sliced and diced, anytime super speed gets involved you just have to kind of accept that it's not being used at its peak power most of the time, and yo-yo at least has a built in weakness where she gets pulled back to where she started, so having that happen during the pullback seems like a fine enough excuse to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mymla posted:

I think the writers might not have planned for what exactly cut off Yoyo's arms when they had Future Yoyo show up with no arms, and this was the best they could come up with.

That doesn't really make any sense since they easily could have handwaved it away as something Kasius did. Which is what I was figuring anyway since YoYo had her arms in the other future flashbacks. It wasn't a question that needed answering.

It was a dramatic choice to give consequence and establish the new villain, as well as something to push YoYo towards the "its all happening the same way" path and keep up her and Daisy's fears that they're just repeating history.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

That doesn't really make any sense since they easily could have handwaved it away as something Kasius did. Which is what I was figuring anyway since YoYo had her arms in the other future flashbacks. It wasn't a question that needed answering.

It was a dramatic choice to give consequence and establish the new villain, as well as something to push YoYo towards the "its all happening the same way" path and keep up her and Daisy's fears that they're just repeating history.

But in the flashbacks, she's got arms. Are we supposed to believe that Fitz and Simmons are going to build real-looking robot replacement arms while hiding in a 45 year-old bunker with no outside help?

It was unexpected and dramatic, for sure. I hope it was worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The team is unaware of the flashback so it doesn't matter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aleph Null posted:

But in the flashbacks, she's got arms. Are we supposed to believe that Fitz and Simmons are going to build real-looking robot replacement arms while hiding in a 45 year-old bunker with no outside help?

Its entirely plausible that YoYo is wrong and this isn't what happened to Kasius' YoYo and that the future is already changing. We don't know. Maybe in that timeline YoYo doesn't lose her arms until after she's captured by Kasius. Maybe she lost her arms in the same place right here and she gets robot arms sometime before the Earth explodes and we see the flashbacks. Its time travel, who the gently caress knows?

But I don't think they're "obligated" to do anything until after the Earth explodes. So YoYo could just spend the rest of the season armless and on the bench. Or she could get robot arms from FitzSimmons using 70s tech. Or maybe she just doesn't get arms becuase they're changing the future.

Time travel.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

Several possible solutions to this one:

a) Yoyo's wearing gloves and long sleeves in her flashbacks which could be covering a pair of prosthetic arms she received prior to the Kree arrival.

b) They built a time machine in the bunker, building robot arms wouldn't necessarily be outside of their capabilities. Particularly as they've done something like it before.

c) History has already changed.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Pretty sure she's gonna end up with Robo Arms, since they seem to be following the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003