Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Randy Pitchford and Smart Decisions can be geometrically defined as two lines in a plane that do not meet each other at any point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yodzilla posted:

Don’t care if it’s half broken I wanna play original Duke Forever and Prey.

I'd also be happy to play a beta based on that 2001 build. I recall people who worked on it saying it was not near finished at all, maybe Weider or Greenmarine I forget, Fred from Slipgate's 90% thing I am taking with a grain of salt. The article just links to a discord invite as a source on that, and I don't think the year old twitter exchange about the license with Randy was about ol' DNF. I remember him offering to let them perhaps make a Duke platformer if Rad Rodgers did well. He did talk about the idea of old versions being released in a chat a while ago, and mentioned how it'd be tough with licensing and old publishers etc.

Not a lot of news there, but I'd enjoy playing that old build, sure, the trailer was great. If the idea is Fred wants to produce and sell a new version, well, we're doomed. Like a space marine.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lmao this has to be a loving joke. someone leak this loving thing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd also be happy to play a beta based on that 2001 build. I recall people who worked on it saying it was not near finished at all, maybe Weider or Greenmarine I forget, Fred from Slipgate's 90% thing I am taking with a grain of salt. The article just links to a discord invite as a source on that, and I don't think the year old twitter exchange about the license with Randy was about ol' DNF. I remember him offering to let them perhaps make a Duke platformer if Rad Rodgers did well. He did talk about the idea of old versions being released in a chat a while ago, and mentioned how it'd be tough with licensing and old publishers etc.

Not a lot of news there, but I'd enjoy playing that old build, sure, the trailer was great. If the idea is Fred wants to produce and sell a new version, well, we're doomed. Like a space marine.

Someone posted a breakdown of the old E3 trailer a few months back detailing exactly what was real, turns out a sizeable proportion was just faked.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

For Wolf3D fans, there's a neat map pack out. The first map confused the hell out of me in a good way. Check it out.

http://deans-wolf-blog.blogspot.com.br/2018/03/dhw-mapping-league-1-released.html

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What are some good coop maps for Quake? We've played through all the campaigns and most of the AD stuff.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Negrostrike posted:

For Wolf3D fans, there's a neat map pack out. The first map confused the hell out of me in a good way. Check it out.

http://deans-wolf-blog.blogspot.com.br/2018/03/dhw-mapping-league-1-released.html

I love that they went all out with the banner, making it as 90's-as-gently caress as possible. 240p, South Park characters, BMP format and 16 (or less) colors.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

King Vidiot posted:

I love that they went all out with the banner, making it as 90's-as-gently caress as possible. 240p, South Park characters, BMP format and 16 (or less) colors.

Surprisingly enough, the website where that came from is still up (last updated in 2004).

http://southpark3d.wz.cz/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

King Vidiot posted:

It isn't 240p, it's 320x200. It isn't 16 colors, it's 256 color mode, and it isn't BMP format as it's actually a JPEG. 16 colors and 320x240 don't make sense for Wolf 3D anyway, that's just not how the game works.

But here, from John Romero's site long ago, is a comparison of the first Alpha title screens for Wolf 3D, one of which was a 16 color EGA mode and the other the 256 color VGA mode.

EGA mode ended up dropped later in production because it didn't seem worth it to target the few computers fast enough to runt he game that only had EGA support.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Convex posted:

Someone posted a breakdown of the old E3 trailer a few months back detailing exactly what was real, turns out a sizeable proportion was just faked.

I want to believe.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Here's the original breakdown post, from when DNF was finally released.

quote:

This is intended just for fun and curiosity! I'm going to start with the first actual DNF scene (the vegas view) and just go shot by shot from this video. To clarify some terms I will use. Playable = You could experience this yourself as a player just like you saw. Scripted = Think of a Half Life talking sequence or CoD scripted sequence. Meaning it was "real", but control/interaction would have been limited. Realish = It was all real, but we made special camera angles for trailer interest. Fudged = It was in game, but was either polished for the trailer, or simply an idea prototype. This is actually a big range because some prototypes were fully playable, but hadn't been incorporated into a level yet. Fake = It was done purely for the trailer and probably wouldn't have been in the game.

Vegas View = Realish
Sandworm = Scripted / Fake
Jetskis dropping = Playable
Boat & Building = Playable
Gunship & Window = Realish / Prototype
Octabrain & Tunnel = Scripted / Fake
Cars & Street = Playable / Prototype
Rocket = Scripted
EZVend = Playable
Tunnels = Fudged / Prototype
PMN8EZ Car = Playable / Prototype
Sniping Vasquez = Playable
Incoming plane = Scripted
EDF with shield = Playable
Pinball = Playable
More PMN8EZ = Playable / Prototype
Lightning Strike = Playable
Hoover Dam = Playable
Donkey Ride = Fudged / Prototype (I know I know... sorry!)
Flashlight Man = Playable / Scripted
Waitress and Guy holding door (all cuts) = Scripted / Fakeishfudged
Random EDF = Fake
General Graves = Scripted / Maybe Fake
Mothership = Realish
Graves again = Scripted / Maybe Fake
Save world all by yourself? = Scripted
Motorcycle = Playable
Shooting planes = Playable
Pipebomb = Playable / Fake setup
Tripmine = Playable
Ahhhhh!!!!! = Playable
Kicking door = Playable
Paint splats = Playable
Riot Shield and Turret = Playable
Shrinkage = Playable
EDF209 = Realish
Face Roach = Playable
Dragon = Realish
Minecart = Playable
Keypad = Playable
Squishing = Playable
Lady Killer = Scripted
Blue Man = Realish
Edge of Destruction = Playable
"I live... again!" = Playable
Canons Ahoy = Playable
Bad LOD Jetskis = Playable
Satisfying Chomp = Scripted / Fake
Gus = Soooo very fake.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Negrostrike posted:

Surprisingly enough, the website where that came from is still up (last updated in 2004).

It's interesting that they have Cartman playing the part of BJ, while Stan is the Nazi (without the hats it's impossible to tell, but if it's supposed to Kyle then I guess that's pretty funny). These are not the choices I would have imagined making in 2004.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

fishmech posted:

It isn't 240p, it's 320x200. It isn't 16 colors, it's 256 color mode, and it isn't BMP format as it's actually a JPEG. 16 colors and 320x240 don't make sense for Wolf 3D anyway, that's just not how the game works.

:chloe:

...oh, that's just something you do a lot. Carry on!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Man somebody better finish & release that poo poo.

loving randy pitchford will never let it happen because he's a prick

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

I'm replaying Bioshock and found a small piece of ceiling with a texture from the 1997 Unreal beta. I was more excited about that than shooting the same enemy for the 100th time. Bioshock's maps have a classic feel, secrets, levels, loops, oddly proportioned areas that are supposed to be bathrooms and kitchens. And the arsenal is old school, wrench, pistol, auto, shotgun, rocket/grenade, crossbow/rail, flamethrower. With more enemy variety it could've been a pretty great FPS.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IIRC that was, for the longest time, the default texture in UnrealEd.

With UE3 they changed it to a blue and white checkerboard, but Bioshock was still based on UE2.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bioshock 'compensates' for the enemy variety by making them tougher with every level. One day the guys you can kill a bunch of with one grenade just eat a grenade with their face and keep smiling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock has like 5 different types of enemies not counting the big daddies

edit: Unless you boil them all down to "it's a human" which is pretty reductive. And also in the mid game the standard enemies start controlling security turrets and using plasmids (and being immune to some of yours) which is cool and adds even more variety

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 5, 2018

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

The Kins posted:

IIRC that was, for the longest time, the default texture in UnrealEd.

With UE3 they changed it to a blue and white checkerboard, but Bioshock was still based on UE2.

I see. Well, it's better than encountering checkerboard texture somewhere, and it does look kinda marine.

I poo poo talked Bioshock a lot on release, but it's not a bad game and I feel bad about that now. Though some of the choices are as surprising as they were what, ten years ago? Like not being able to pick which magics you can equip without using a panel, or the 500 bux wallet limit. The design almost feels hostile to the player, and the story too.

It's such a depressing game, makes me appreciate moments of relief in HL2, which may seem at odds with the tone of the game elsewhere, but it keeps the player from getting the sads after seeing nothing but horror and suffering for ten hours.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

loga mira posted:

With more enemy variety it could've been a pretty great FPS.

That's called Bioshock 2, and it is indeed great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bioshock 1 is a mediocre game with bland/bad gunplay, neat aesthetics, incredibly stupid writing, and an overly inflated opinion of itself, which makes sense since it was directed by Levine. Bioshock Infinite has most of the same problems.

Bioshock 2 is actually good and makes much better use of Rapture as a setting, even.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 5, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The feel of getting shot at by enemies in Bioshock was pretty crappy. The machine gun Splicers didn't feel like they were shooting at you, they felt like they just applied a damage over time effect to you whenever they had even a tiny amount of line of sight to you, even if you were shooting them up or even if they were on fire.

Negrostrike posted:

If I was going to rip off something without permission I think I'd pick something better and also more relevant to 2018.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Lemon-Lime posted:

Bioshock 1 is a mediocre game with bland/bad gunplay, neat aesthetics, incredibly stupid writing, and an overly inflated opinion of itself, which makes sense since it was directed by Levine. Bioshock Infinite has most of the same problems.

Bioshock 2 is actually good and makes much better use of Rapture as a setting, even.

This is a correct opinion and it bums me out that people don’t give BioShock 2 a chance.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yodzilla posted:

This is a correct opinion and it bums me out that people don’t give BioShock 2 a chance.

The problem with BS2 is that it's repeated gameplay conceit replicates the worst part of BS1. It's improved over the BS1 version, but it's still repetitive and poorly thought through. Depending on how much that part annoyed you, it may be enough to throw you off the entire game.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The best thing about Bioshock 2 is the Tonic that disables all of your weapons, but makes Plasmids incredibly cheap. Spamming security bots and bees is how you're meant to play these games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah the combat in BS2 felt way better than 1 to me. I was a melee plasmid nightmare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pinning people to walls with a crossbow that also sets them on fire is satisfying as gently caress what are you people talking about

edit: The shotgun in Bioshock 1 is one of the most satisfying shotguns I've used in a video game. That thing went BOOM and unlike Bioshock 2's double barrel it actually kills things. Bioshock 2 exacerbates the enemy bullet sponge problem to pretty ridiculous levels, especially later on in the game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the gameplay in bioshock 2 is absolutely better even if the story is all over the place. part of why infinite was so disappointing was because it felt like a step back from 2's combat and its variety.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Delta, a Big Daddy, starts off with around the same HP and damage protection as Jack, a genetically engineered 4 year old

Which is not to say the gameplay in Bioshock 2 is worse, there are a number of quality of life changes like the hacking minigame and the camera, but I would say it's about the same over calling it better.

edit: To elaborate a bit on why I feel that way, I think Bioshock 1's less linear level design is much better than 2's (at one point literal) rollercoaster of setpieces. There's one really good non-linear level early on and then after that it fluctuates between being hallways full of enemies and slightly open areas that you have to explore every hallway of anyway. The two good levels I can think of in Bioshock 2 are Pauper's Drop and whatever the level with Gil Alexander is called. They are both a nice combination of open-ended while also having some amount of focus, and it's a shame the rest of the game isn't like that, especially near the end.

I also think Bioshock 2 turns the enemies into basically cannon fodder with them coming at you by the dozen whenever you defend a Little Sister while she's gathering ADAM which makes no sense story wise and is very silly. It spoils the atmosphere and the desolate feeling of Rapture by having encounters end with giant piles of corpses. It does a lot to make you feel like a walking tank but your character absolutely doesn't reflect that because your HP is still torn through like you're made of tissue paper. The AI is also a lot dumber with enemies running directly at you to hit you with their guns instead of shooting you with them if you're anywhere close, and it wasn't very smart to begin with in 1 anyway. Near the endgame you start running into the same problem as in 1 where enemies that clearly should die in one shot now take three, five, et cetera. It's got a lot of the same flaws, and other than some very appreciated streamlining like being able to wield plasmids and weapons at the same time, it really isn't as big an improvement as the general population says it is imo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Samuel Clemens posted:

The best thing about Bioshock 2 is the Tonic that disables all of your weapons, but makes Plasmids incredibly cheap. Spamming security bots and bees is how you're meant to play these games.

Holy gently caress, I must've missed this and is indeed the better way to play. I know this without ever having tried it. My god.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Obligatory "go play Minerva's Den you goddamn fools" post.

Best thing from the Bioshock series, easily

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

the gameplay in bioshock 2 is absolutely better even if the story is all over the place. part of why infinite was so disappointing was because it felt like a step back from 2's combat and its variety.

One of my dream games would be a remake of Crimson Skies that had something like the skyhook from BS: Infinite so you had the option of jumping out of your biplane to grapple onto other planes or blimps.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Or like Rocket Jockey

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

doctorfrog posted:

Or like Rocket Jockey

Always needs more Rocket Jockey.

Always.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People remember Bioshock because blasting people in beat with Waltz of the Flowers while Sander Cohen has an outburst is fun, and the twist is entertaining the first time you see it. The twist loses it's impact immediately afterwards because Atlas calls you up to gloat about it, which feels more like Levine gloating to the player about how clever his twist was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arcsquad12 posted:

People remember Bioshock because blasting people in beat with Waltz of the Flowers while Sander Cohen has an outburst is fun, and the twist is entertaining the first time you see it. The twist loses it's impact immediately afterwards because Atlas calls you up to gloat about it, which feels more like Levine gloating to the player about how clever his twist was.

Continuing on for several hours after the twist is one of the worst decisions in the history of gaming.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Delta, a Big Daddy, starts off with around the same HP and damage protection as Jack, a genetically engineered 4 year old

Well yeah, because everything in Bioshock 1 (including the player) was ridiculously tanky, and it made the game a complete chore. In Bioshock 2, you might actually die on occasion.

haveblue posted:

Continuing on for several hours after the twist is one of the worst decisions in the history of gaming.

Putting all of the tedious sections after the twist was definitely not the best move.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I liked Bioshock 1 and 2 a lot. I'm that guy that can have all good things. Infinite at the other hand, had a good start and looked really good but it went to garbage levels on the last third (and I'm being generous).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Guillermus posted:

I liked Bioshock 1 and 2 a lot. I'm that guy that can have all good things. Infinite at the other hand, had a good start and looked really good but it went to garbage levels on the last third (and I'm being generous).

It also had the Vox turn evil for what was basically no reason on top of that so the weird story decision trend of all the bioshock games continues.

Honestly I feel like Prey is a better heir to System Shock than Bioshock was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

We've been getting back into Quake quite a bit lately, mostly co-op stuff. But lag and packet losses are bumming us out. We're all using Quakespasm or Mark V. Is there a magical engine or solution that'll fix multiplayer issues when playing stuff like AD? We're using Tunngle to set up a virtual LAN, but maybe it's worth it to sort out port forwarding?