Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
It is really good actually, I did like the Manjaro KDE having a Q3 like console when you press F12.

So in my ongoing adventures, I got OSX running on my ThreadRipper today using KVM. That went pretty well all things considered.

GPU passthrough is proving to be a pain in the rear end though, I am trying to put my GTX660 in a Windows VM but no luck so far. :( I don't even get to see the Tianocore output on the second monitor, let alone an error 43. :(

Well since I don't seem to give up easily, I got it to work. :)

My GTX660 had an old crappy bios on it, that did not support UEFI, so after figuring out nvflash and a bios from techpowerup, setting the it to overwrite with a different PCI_ID and removing the write protection from the EEPROM I could successfully flash it to UEFI mode.

gently caress Asus for making their utility only work on Asus mobo's.

Using the little Java tool someone wrote that writes back the PCI state after a device reset, I now have GPU passthrough working on my 1950X.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

I always get a broken icon like the one on the left when I start up ElementaryOS... when I click on it, the context menu is empty and there's no way to close it. How do I go about investigating what this is from, or how to get rid of it? Google didn't help because I'm not sure how to describe it well.

Also if anyone knows any good channels on Youtube for intermediate/advanced stuff I'd love some recommendations. I wanna see some bad-rear end terminal stuff I can't do with Windows, but for some reason all the videos I find are just noobs espousing the open source manifesto or distro hopping.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Ugh. I did some deeper troubleshooting and it looks like the motherboard is the problem. I wish it was the video card, that would have been easy.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Aaaand after further troubleshooting, looks like it actually is the video card.

I guess I shouldn't have jumped the gun on that eBay order. It'll be good having a backup motherboard, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, gently caress diagnosing motherboards.

I once pissed off gigabyte with a couple RMA's because I was sooooo sure they were sending me broken hardware. It ended up being a bad dimm but the error blinks on the motherboard's leds pointed at the mb. :downs:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I guess the upshot is that I can now report that I am up and running on an old temporary Nvidia Quadro card, even without a driver install. OpenSUSE booted up fine and I'm running at the proper resolution and things look fine. Running Day of Infamy is a slideshow, but I expected that. Onwards and upwards.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there anyway to make a non-console program raise urgency?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

iospace posted:

Is there anyway to make a non-console program raise urgency?

You mean renice something from inside the gui? I know the kde task manage will do that.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Can i ask beginner questions about compiling PCSX reARMed itt? Trying to learn how to use my rpi 3b but am super lost.

I'm new at this whole "compile your own software, peasant" sort of thing, and am having difficulty following instructions that fail for reasons i cannot divine.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So anyone know a workaround for having VNC working with NVIDIA drivers on a Centos7 machine?

I had a decent VNC setup for a machine that was only supposed to be used for processing or remote work. But then my boss decided that computer could be used by someone working here temporarily. Which was not perfect, but worked fine with him as another user than the main. He then complains due one software working like crap with the nouveau drivers, so I install NVIDIA drivers and down went the VNC.

I tried different DEs (gnome, kde, xfce) and VNCs but no luck. Apparently this is a known issue with no clear solution.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

McGiggins posted:

Can i ask beginner questions about compiling PCSX reARMed itt? Trying to learn how to use my rpi 3b but am super lost.

I'm new at this whole "compile your own software, peasant" sort of thing, and am having difficulty following instructions that fail for reasons i cannot divine.

There’s also a RPi thread here in SHSC, but RPis run Linux so sure ask away.

e: You’ll need to tell us step by step what you’re doing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 3, 2018

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

G-Prime posted:

...Okay, that's kinda amazing. I don't know how I missed that in reviews. Might be my new target. Thanks for calling that out!

Edit: After doing some research, the X1 Yoga appears to have very poor Linux support. Back to the drawing board.

I've been running Debian on my Skylake X1 Yoga for two years. Other than the fingerprint reader, everything works fine.

There were some issues with power management initially, but those have been resolved for quite a while.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Cardiac posted:

So anyone know a workaround for having VNC working with NVIDIA drivers on a Centos7 machine?

I had a decent VNC setup for a machine that was only supposed to be used for processing or remote work. But then my boss decided that computer could be used by someone working here temporarily. Which was not perfect, but worked fine with him as another user than the main. He then complains due one software working like crap with the nouveau drivers, so I install NVIDIA drivers and down went the VNC.

I tried different DEs (gnome, kde, xfce) and VNCs but no luck. Apparently this is a known issue with no clear solution.

https://serverfault.com/a/898266

Might have luck with VirtualGL

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

MrPablo posted:

I've been running Debian on my Skylake X1 Yoga for two years. Other than the fingerprint reader, everything works fine.

There were some issues with power management initially, but those have been resolved for quite a while.

Admittedly, my research on this was relatively quick. Dug through the ThinkWiki entry for Fedora on it (turns out that was for F25, which is old enough that much of that information is likely inaccurate), as well as several other threads and posts. Are there any weird things like the touchscreen not working with multitouch? And does the trackpad properly disable in tablet mode? Those I think are the biggest concerns. WWAN would be a nice-to-have, but I can tether my phone if I have to. Does suspend and hibernate work, also?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RFC2324 posted:

You mean renice something from inside the gui? I know the kde task manage will do that.

Nah, I mean an urgency flag. I'm using xmonad because it's what I'm used to from my prior Arch use, but I'm trying to get the taskbar I'm using to highlight the window that, say, Discord has a notification for me. I know you can do it via urgency, but I have yet to figure out how to make Discord do that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The standard way that's done is with the _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION flag on _NET_WM_STATE. See the EWMH spec. xdotool might have a way of changing an app's state and perhaps setting the demands-attention flag?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got an old Dell Inspiron Mini 10v sitting around (1.6ghz Atom processor, 2 gigs of ram, 250gb hard drive) that I'd like to find some sort of use for, maybe a local webserver or something? Since the specs are obviously extremely uninspiring, I'm looking for something very lightweight. Looking around, it seems like Lubuntu would be one of the better options?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I've been using Fedora 26 on my Dell XPS for the last year or so and have encountered many problems. I can't use the Nvidia card since I've been using Wayland instead of X11, but X11 seems to have issues itself (Sublime Text is very slow and freezes up for some reason). Additionally, it restarts on wakeup about 94% of the time, and during startup/shutdown I see a ton of logged error/warning messages.

I am running a dool boot with windows, using grub if that's relevant.

I want to try a fresh install of Fedora 27, wiping my existing partition, but I'm worried that I'll still encounter all these problems. My questions are
1) Should i just use X11 exclusively and install the nvidia drivers so that I can actually use Optimus and the GPU?
2) How do I get to those log messages?
3) Is there another distro that would solve my problems? I don't care too much about Gnome 3, although I am very used to it.

I just want things to work properly :(

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got an old Dell Inspiron Mini 10v sitting around (1.6ghz Atom processor, 2 gigs of ram, 250gb hard drive) that I'd like to find some sort of use for, maybe a local webserver or something? Since the specs are obviously extremely uninspiring, I'm looking for something very lightweight. Looking around, it seems like Lubuntu would be one of the better options?

I have an ASUS netbook with similar specs and it ran LXDE/XFCE acceptably, but if you're going to turn it into a server why install a desktop at all instead of a terminal-only build that you could just manage from another system?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Brownie posted:

I've been using Fedora 26 on my Dell XPS for the last year or so and have encountered many problems. I can't use the Nvidia card since I've been using Wayland instead of X11, but X11 seems to have issues itself (Sublime Text is very slow and freezes up for some reason). Additionally, it restarts on wakeup about 94% of the time, and during startup/shutdown I see a ton of logged error/warning messages.

I am running a dool boot with windows, using grub if that's relevant.

I want to try a fresh install of Fedora 27, wiping my existing partition, but I'm worried that I'll still encounter all these problems. My questions are
1) Should i just use X11 exclusively and install the nvidia drivers so that I can actually use Optimus and the GPU?
2) How do I get to those log messages?
3) Is there another distro that would solve my problems? I don't care too much about Gnome 3, although I am very used to it.

I just want things to work properly :(

1) If you search a page or two back (or maybe on this page even) I think that there is some consensus that Wayland maybe isn’t ready for prime time yet.

With regards to the Optimus setup, I did a lot of searching for this recently and came to the conclusion that, for my use case, it wasn’t worth the battery trade off. AFAIR, you have 3 options here: iGPU + nouveau drivers, iGPU + Nvidia drivers, or Nvidia GPU only. Installing the Nvidia drivers means that the Nvidia card is just always on even if you’re not actively using it, so it’s just really bad for battery life. Do you actually need the Nvidia drivers? I didn’t, so I didn’t install it. Using the iGPU + nouveau setup (this is installed by default) you still get the option to run things off the Nvidia GPU when you want, at runtime, on a per app basis.

Take a look at the “OSS stack” section here: https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver-improvements-for-fedora-25/

Again on my Fedora 27 install this was all done automatically. I didn’t have to install or configure anything extra. I can just right click graphical apps like Paraview and choose the dedicated GPU.

2) Maybe try https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/97597/error-messages-at-boot-and-at-shutdown/

I also see some error messages when I boot and when I shutdown too. I’m not sure if they’re actually detrimental though, so I haven’t bothered digging deeper into it because everything works fine.

3) Developer edition XPSs ship with Ubuntu, so I would assume that developers at Dell have done some amount of testing. If you wanted to try something else whatever version of Ubuntu they are shipping on their laptops is probably your best bet.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

There’s also a RPi thread here in SHSC, but RPis run Linux so sure ask away.

e: You’ll need to tell us step by step what you’re doing.

Cheers. I feel lost, and dumb because i can't figure out why I'm lost :(.

So I'm trying to compile the software of a ps1 emulator because as far as i have been able to determine, that's the only way to get og Diablo 1 running on a pi.

(I'm mainly doing this to get ahead of the curve for some uni stuff which requires me to learn terminal operation, and pi is the cheap little testbed. Getting the full version of Minecraft to run on this little box was certainly a lesson and a half)

The software is called PCSX reARMed. I initially found a version of it that worked (r15) but once running the software being emulated didn't recognize inputs of any kind. I found a more more up to date version (r22) that could be downloaded directly from the git for it, but it didn't come with any executable and had to be compiled on my computer itself.

The problem is, i think it requires something called a submodule (libpicofe?) in order to compile and i cant seem to figure out what that is or where to get it from.

Sorry if this not enough information or outside the scope of the thread in terms of being a super-simple thing i should have been able to figure out myself.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

G-Prime posted:

Admittedly, my research on this was relatively quick. Dug through the ThinkWiki entry for Fedora on it (turns out that was for F25, which is old enough that much of that information is likely inaccurate), as well as several other threads and posts. Are there any weird things like the touchscreen not working with multitouch? And does the trackpad properly disable in tablet mode? Those I think are the biggest concerns. WWAN would be a nice-to-have, but I can tether my phone if I have to. Does suspend and hibernate work, also?

Suspend and hibernate work.

I rarely use the touchscreen so I'm not the best person to comment on it. On my system single touch works fine, multi-touch doesn't appear to do anything. I don't know if that is a quirk with my system or a problem with Linux itself.

There used to be scripts to disable the touchpad when it was in tablet mode, but I don't know if those are still necessary.

Context: When I originally got this laptop I intended to use it as a laptop and a replacement for my Nexus 7, but it's too unwieldy for me in tablet mode and it turns out I really don't like having fingerprints on the computer screen.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I have an ASUS netbook with similar specs and it ran LXDE/XFCE acceptably, but if you're going to turn it into a server why install a desktop at all instead of a terminal-only build that you could just manage from another system?

Well I haven't decided on exactly what I'm going to do with it yet so having a desktop environment available off the bat doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

McGiggins posted:

The problem is, i think it requires something called a submodule (libpicofe?) in order to compile and i cant seem to figure out what that is or where to get it from.
Googling libpicofe gives me the location of the libpicofe Github and this OpenEmu bug report which explains why it's broken and how to fix your .gitmodules to work around it.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

1) If you search a page or two back (or maybe on this page even) I think that there is some consensus that Wayland maybe isn’t ready for prime time yet.

With regards to the Optimus setup, I did a lot of searching for this recently and came to the conclusion that, for my use case, it wasn’t worth the battery trade off. AFAIR, you have 3 options here: iGPU + nouveau drivers, iGPU + Nvidia drivers, or Nvidia GPU only. Installing the Nvidia drivers means that the Nvidia card is just always on even if you’re not actively using it, so it’s just really bad for battery life. Do you actually need the Nvidia drivers? I didn’t, so I didn’t install it. Using the iGPU + nouveau setup (this is installed by default) you still get the option to run things off the Nvidia GPU when you want, at runtime, on a per app basis.

Take a look at the “OSS stack” section here: https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver-improvements-for-fedora-25/
There's also the option of Bumblebee+the NVIDIA drivers to be able to run games and other things on the NVIDIA card without it being on all the time, but it's kinda awkward, doesn't support Vulkan at the moment, and has like a 10% performance hit for the stuff on the NVIDIA card. (And you have to prefix any game you run on the card with "optirun" on the command line.) It's also not officially supported by the NVIDIA repos for Fedora (who view it as a giant hack, which, fair), although there was a different one for it where I last used Fedora.... more than a year ago. It does work on modern kernels and drivers on other distros for me, though, better than the other options in that it doesn't suffer from Nouveau's clock speed issues and doesn't heat up the laptop all the time.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

gourdcaptain posted:

There's also the option of Bumblebee+the NVIDIA drivers to be able to run games and other things on the NVIDIA card without it being on all the time, but it's kinda awkward, doesn't support Vulkan at the moment, and has like a 10% performance hit for the stuff on the NVIDIA card. (And you have to prefix any game you run on the card with "optirun" on the command line.) It's also not officially supported by the NVIDIA repos for Fedora (who view it as a giant hack, which, fair), although there was a different one for it where I last used Fedora.... more than a year ago. It does work on modern kernels and drivers on other distros for me, though, better than the other options in that it doesn't suffer from Nouveau's clock speed issues and doesn't heat up the laptop all the time.

I've tried installing bumblebee a few times and it always just led to hard locks and crashes. But I was running it in the default Wayland desktop, so maybe that was my mistake.

Thanks for the advice. I reinstall fedora last night and interestingly I do not see the "use dedicated video card" option at all. Maybe it's because I still haven't tested out the next install in X11.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dell Mini 10 Linux update: not so great!

That's what happens after I've installed multiple versions of linux when it's finished and boots to the desktop. I've tried the following:
Lubuntu 17.10.1 (latest version)
Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS
Xubuntu 17.10.1 (latest version)

all 32 bit versions. I could have sworn I had linux running on this thing a while ago with no weird display issues like this. Should I try older versions, maybe switch to plain ubuntu and see if that desktop environment works?

e: i should add that the 'live cd' verisons of xubuntu and lubuntu work just fine, no monitor problems at all.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 4, 2018

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Brownie posted:

I've tried installing bumblebee a few times and it always just led to hard locks and crashes. But I was running it in the default Wayland desktop, so maybe that was my mistake.

Yeah, Bumblebee is probably not going to work under Wayland given it works by creating a second X server for the NVIDIA card to render to and then funneling the results back to the main display output. Either that, or it's one of the crash issues listed here (the one linked and the one below): https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee#Compatibility_with_recent_laptops_that_have_American_Megatrend_BIOSes

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 4, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GobiasIndustries posted:

Dell Mini 10 Linux update: not so great!

That's what happens after I've installed multiple versions of linux when it's finished and boots to the desktop. I've tried the following:
Lubuntu 17.10.1 (latest version)
Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Xubuntu 16.04 LTS
Xubuntu 17.10.1 (latest version)

all 32 bit versions. I could have sworn I had linux running on this thing a while ago with no weird display issues like this. Should I try older versions, maybe switch to plain ubuntu and see if that desktop environment works?

e: i should add that the 'live cd' verisons of xubuntu and lubuntu work just fine, no monitor problems at all.

Try something better than Ubuntu maybe? Or a 64 bit version?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Try something better than Ubuntu maybe? Or a 64 bit version?

Tried a 64 bit version of xubuntu, unable to install because it's not an x86-64 CPU (only detected an i686 CPU according to the error message). Care to expand on the better options?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 5, 2018

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

You sure you don't want to investigate the VM route more thoroughly?

I only ask because I worked in a Linux VM on a Windows host for years and once configured it was basically indistinguishable from running on bare metal for most tasks.

I am extremely interested in how you did this. If you could write up a little bit about what hypervisor you used and how it was configured I'd appreciate that a lot. At work I use VMware on a Mac and it's phenomenally smooth but all my attempts at doing this on my windows machine at home with vbox, VMware player, and hyper-v have been pretty bad.

E: to clarify, the things I really want in order to make a Linux VM usable for me:
- seamless copy-paste between host and guest
- no graphical hiccups
- I/o performance should be good enough to compile things, run an IDE, etc.

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 5, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GobiasIndustries posted:

Tried a 64 bit version of xubuntu, unable to install because it's not an x86-64 CPU (only detected an i686 CPU according to the error message). Care to expand on the better options?

Fedora is the goto around here, and I personally like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, tho it might not be for you since most of the support isn't going to be english language(its pretty much the german version of fedora).

The other common recommendation is Arch, tho I tend to dislike it just because I feel it teaches bad 'google then copy/paste solutions' habits.

Fedora is the best supported, Arch tends to have answers to most problems available on google.

Anything that ends in 'buntu' is just ubuntu with a different desktop, and given that canonical(the company that makes ubuntu) has discontinued all but community support for the desktop product, I tend to feel its not going to be quite as good a product.

E: Relevant YOSPOS post about ubuntu: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post435197939

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

VostokProgram posted:

I am extremely interested in how you did this. If you could write up a little bit about what hypervisor you used and how it was configured I'd appreciate that a lot. At work I use VMware on a Mac and it's phenomenally smooth but all my attempts at doing this on my windows machine at home with vbox, VMware player, and hyper-v have been pretty bad.

E: to clarify, the things I really want in order to make a Linux VM usable for me:
- seamless copy-paste between host and guest
- no graphical hiccups
- I/o performance should be good enough to compile things, run an IDE, etc.

I haven't used it in a couple years, but I basically just installed VMware player, installed Ubuntu, installed my IDEs.

Granted I always use a pretty decent pc for my work machine so I could afford to dedicate a couple cores and 8+GB RAM to the VM.

It easily met your listed requirements.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Fedora is the goto around here, and I personally like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, tho it might not be for you since most of the support isn't going to be english language(its pretty much the german version of fedora).

The other common recommendation is Arch, tho I tend to dislike it just because I feel it teaches bad 'google then copy/paste solutions' habits.

Fedora is the best supported, Arch tends to have answers to most problems available on google.

Anything that ends in 'buntu' is just ubuntu with a different desktop, and given that canonical(the company that makes ubuntu) has discontinued all but community support for the desktop product, I tend to feel its not going to be quite as good a product.

E: Relevant YOSPOS post about ubuntu: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617481&pagenumber=48&perpage=40#post435197939

Before I saw this post I installed the latest version of Mint (Xfce, 32 bit) and the desktop actually works! But since I've done nothing with the system so far I might go ahead and try out Fedora to see what happens. Worst case scenario I just go back to Mint as it's proven to work.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GobiasIndustries posted:

Before I saw this post I installed the latest version of Mint (Xfce, 32 bit) and the desktop actually works! But since I've done nothing with the system so far I might go ahead and try out Fedora to see what happens. Worst case scenario I just go back to Mint as it's proven to work.

Mint isn't a bad choice, i just never remember it exists

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't used it in a couple years, but I basically just installed VMware player, installed Ubuntu, installed my IDEs.

Granted I always use a pretty decent pc for my work machine so I could afford to dedicate a couple cores and 8+GB RAM to the VM.

It easily met your listed requirements.

drat, I must have done something really wrong last time then. Or maybe the particular distro I used didn't play well with virtualization in general (might have been Debian or fedora, I forget).

The RAM isn't a problem, I have 16 GB so I can definitely give 8 to the one VM I'll ever run, but I've only got 4c/8t so it would probably be a bad idea to give the vm exclusive use of anything, if that's even possible on windows. Maybe I'll try it again tonight and see what happens.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Area posted:

Googling libpicofe gives me the location of the libpicofe Github and this OpenEmu bug report which explains why it's broken and how to fix your .gitmodules to work around it.

Hmm, that seems to be exactly what i needed, thank you! However, i just edited the .gitmodules file as shown in that page, and
code:

./configure && make
Still errors out with "fatal: not a git repository or any of the parent directories: .git"

It then asks me to do the submodule grab:

code:

git submodule init && git submodule update

Which as i understand should use the updated url i edited in to the new address but then loops back to the "fatal: not a git" error. Have carefully checked that the address was entered correctly.

I downloaded the libpicofe master manually, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it in order to manually install/where to place it so that it is seen by the compiling process.

Thank you for your help so far in any case, today I learned something!

Edit: goddamn am i spoiled by windows. Everything is plug and play or click and play and the average user never really learns beyond their use case.

Linux does anything you ask it to, but you better believe that you need to do some serious research before attempting even the most mundane windows-equivalent task.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

McGiggins posted:

Hmm, that seems to be exactly what i needed, thank you! However, i just edited the .gitmodules file as shown in that page, and
code:
./configure && make
Still errors out with "fatal: not a git repository or any of the parent directories: .git"

It then asks me to do the submodule grab:

code:
git submodule init && git submodule update
Which as i understand should use the updated url i edited in to the new address but then loops back to the "fatal: not a git" error. Have carefully checked that the address was entered correctly.

I downloaded the libpicofe master manually, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it in order to manually install/where to place it so that it is seen by the compiling process.

Thank you for your help so far in any case, today I learned something!

Edit: goddamn am i spoiled by windows. Everything is plug and play or click and play and the average user never really learns beyond their use case.

Linux does anything you ask it to, but you better believe that you need to do some serious research before attempting even the most mundane windows-equivalent task.
If you've already cloned the submodule, you want to use git submodule sync rather than git submodule init to update the URL to the remote.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure what that's supposed to do, but doing it causes the same fatal error.

Can i edit the html address it is trying to call the submodule from to the directory pathway where i extracted the downloaded zip to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I also found my old Dell Mini 9 but I can't think of any use for it.

The only idea I had was maybe a Moonlight box (for nvidia Gamestream) but I don't think the GMA 950 had hardware video decoding.

100 mb Lan, USB 2.0, WiFi G, 1024x600 resolution, single core Atom, and only 4GB storage all really limit its use too.