Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Offhand I can't think of anything that you would really lose from TPM,

This seems like such a strange justification to me. Presumably you'd watch it for the same reason you'd watch any of the others, because you like the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Production order just seems like the most logical viewing order to me. Especially if you're introducing the series to an adult who's lived under a rock and not seen it. 4/5/6/1/2/3/7/8/9

Edit: 4/5/6, 1/2/3, 4/5/6 again, 7/8/9

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm always interested in bizarre watch orders. I think the most obscure would be:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

THX 1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars
The Star Wars Holiday Special
cyanide pill

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Ingmar terdman posted:

THX 1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars
cyanide pill

THX 1138
Star Wars
Howard the Duck
Willow
Star Wars XXX Parody
Space Balls
Temple of Doom

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ingmar terdman posted:

THX 1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars
cyanide pill

This, but reverse order.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I watched TPM again last night for the first time in a million years.

That kid cant act.

"yippie"

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Baloma numa toffa :shrug:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Lampsacus posted:

I'm always interested in bizarre watch orders. I think the most obscure would be:

I reckon you should try

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember when I was 13-14 I knew that Sheev "The Senate" Palpatine, Darth Sidious and the Emperor were all the same guy, but I recall right up to the release of the movie wondering whether Lucas would pull a fast one and somehow reveal that they were two different guys.

I was twice as credulous when I was half my age.
I remember being unconvinced right up until revenge of the sith came out that Sidious and the emperor/Palpatine were the same guy. Like hey maybe senator palpatine is in cahoots with this freaky robey dude and he decides he's so cool that he's gonna steal his look or something. I wasn't a smart teen

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My mothers first SW movie was RotS, she was sure Ewan would be able to help Anakin and it would all work out ok in the end. I will always hold dear the memory of her face when Vader first stood up and she realized Anakin was "That robot you used to play with"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

504 posted:

I watched TPM again last night for the first time in a million years.

That kid cant act.

"yippie"

But you know who can? This kid.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

But you know who can? This kid.

God drat it George.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TildeATH posted:

He’s six he eats paste what does he know?

solve a rubik's cube in under 60 seconds, beat 1100s in chess, swim 4 strokes competitively, read at a 3th grade level...

gohmak fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 5, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

It's not supposed to be a secret for the audience.

duh. Neither is Anakin/Vader, if it once was, but it's still fun to see heavily-invested little kids who love lazer swords having their minds blown.

gohmak posted:

solve a rubik's cube in under 60 seconds, beat 1100s in chess, swim 4 strokes competitively, read at a 3th grade level...

Third grade level? I think it might be time for him to meet a certain Luuke.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

504 posted:

God drat it George.

Is there a reason the one kid was picked over a clearly better kid?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

celewign posted:

:laffo:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

celewign posted:

My assumption is that Lloyd was "cuter" or seen as more precocious with his read. The other kid was clearly a better actor but had a melancholy to his read that Lucas for some bizarre reason didn't like as much.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Lloyd was the only one who said his lines like he had a crush on Portman and was trying to impress her as a child might.

I mean what kid is sad about growing up?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My Star Wars Watching Order?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Have you tried 1 1 2 3 5 8?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

cptn_dr posted:

Have you tried 1 1 2 3 5 8?

That's amazing. I've got the same combination on my luggage.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
me, personally, my order is one seven decimal two eight

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
what about ewok adventures

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ammanas posted:

what about ewok adventures

Disney tried to deem them non-canon, but then Wilford Brimley broke through the time-space barrier and punched Bib Fortuna in the dick.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
once ix comes out you can just watch some of them in order of your birth year; 0 can be rogue one or something

I was born in 1345 so it's all good

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Kevin Palpatine posted:

once ix comes out you can just watch some of them in order of your birth year; 0 can be rogue one or something

I was born in 1345 so it's all good

If you think I'm taking advice from anyone named Palpatine, forget it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only watch them in THX order: 1 -> 1 -> 3 -> 8.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.starwars.com/news/jon-favreau-to-executive-produce-write-live-action-star-wars-series

quote:

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform.

This I can actually get behind

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So there's still a rian johnson trilogy, a GoT dudes movie, a live action tv show, and episode nine all coming and in simultaneous development? Truly this is the era of always star wars.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So there's still a rian johnson trilogy, a GoT dudes movie, a live action tv show, and episode nine all coming and in simultaneous development? Truly this is the era of always star wars.

It's me, I'm to blame. I wished for this when I was like, 12.

No regrets.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think that's a GoT dudes movie series. Like they specifically didn't say trilogy iirc

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Gotic trilogy will fill up the space between installments in the Johnson trilogy.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

100 degrees Calcium posted:

drat. Y'all could just say the story isn't very good or the acting is pretty wooden or whatever, but you really have to go to these lengths to denounce every single atom of the films.

People who dislike the PT are obsessed!

this is how human eyes and brains process images and it's why you can tell what's cgi and what isn't even with the most cutting-edge technology. this distinction isn't unique to star wars

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

R. Guyovich posted:

this is how human eyes and brains process images and it's why you can tell what's cgi and what isn't even with the most cutting-edge technology. this distinction isn't unique to star wars

As opposed to puppets and mediocre compositing and stop motion and and and... which all look totally 100% real and fool anyone. Loved that 900 year old that plays Yoda in ESB, which he was in the prequels.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Are you really to thick to understand that there is a difference between "Little green obvious puppet not remotely convincing" and "Thing we are using the best tech we have to look real"?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is there anybody in this thread that watched PT at such an early age that they thought TPM Yoda looked real? Honest question.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yoda would have been a puppet when they watched TPM as a kid. A much more ugly and less convincing one than they used in the OT in fact. The actual CGI in the updated re-release is one of the rare instances where it's more convincing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Infinity (star) War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

504 posted:

Are you really to thick to understand that there is a difference between "Little green obvious puppet not remotely convincing" and "Thing we are using the best tech we have to look real"?

They tried their best in the OT as well you goony thickheaded buffoon idiot. Saying one is bad and dumb and the other is a-ok is, itself, bad and dumb.

• Locked thread