Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
thought I saw the timer for the match was an hour on steam dicussions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Commoners posted:

I'm considering just going double-double barrel shotgun with quartermaster and just charging people like a lunatic

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Toalpaz posted:

Just started with this game, other than the monster load time and the looming possibility of disconnecting from their server it's very interesting and intense. It would be nice to know the exact benefits for trying to keep a hunter character around longer, if you end up going for the big prize there's a high chance of death. I got out of a match with two clues and nothing else for the first time, and got like... 4 levels? But what will it mean for my character really though? I've lost like 6-7 dooders already and they don't seem to matter too much.

The one big benefit to a successful bounty extraction is the Upgrade points that you get:
You only get these for escaping with a bounty token, and you can use them to buy more HP for your man - up to 150 total, including bars you have permanently lost prior - as well as unlocking more traits for them.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DarkDobe posted:

The one big benefit to a successful bounty extraction is the Upgrade points that you get:
You only get these for escaping with a bounty token, and you can use them to buy more HP for your man - up to 150 total, including bars you have permanently lost prior - as well as unlocking more traits for them.

This happens regardless of Bounty token. You just get more stuff when you do extract.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Kept getting random crashes so I opened up my CPU monitor and it was running at a balmy 82 celcius. Sorry hunt but I guess my old rear end 8 core processor just ain't enough.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

DarkDobe posted:

You get one upgrade token per level up of your hunter. You can farm them by just sneaking around killing zombies and never going near the bounty, so long as you extract safely.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Orv posted:

The timer should be 25 minutes so I have no idea how you were in a round that long. Maybe they increased it.

I know for sure most of my games are longer than that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commoners posted:

Banzai tactics work in this surprisingly well. If you just run at people with a vitality shot in hand, weather the bullets you take going in, and then machete chop/shotgun them there's almost nothing they can do short of landing a headshot on a lunatic sprinting at them.

I'm considering just going double-double barrel shotgun with quartermaster and just charging people like a lunatic for future hunters.

With how much people like using the sparks it makes it even easier to do this, because they won't one-shot you if you have more than 100hp (besides headshots, but they could do that with a pistol anyway), you can shoot up, eat their shotgun pellets, and then blast them. I'm curious how much damage the nitro does compared to the sparks.

The Nitro is a guaranteed kill on chest shots at any HP. Is that worth the money and the 8 total shots? Eh.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The Nitro is dumb and I hope they remove that aspect of it. This game will hemorrhage new blood fast if it develops into a scenario of old hands with Nitros and newbies who never get a chance to fight back.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sard posted:

The Nitro is dumb and I hope they remove that aspect of it. This game will hemorrhage new blood fast if it develops into a scenario of old hands with Nitros and newbies who never get a chance to fight back.

That's already the case for fresh T1 hunters and the Sparks, which costs considerably less and comes with more rounds.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

This game will hemorrhage new blood fast.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sard posted:

Isn't there matchmaking based off of bloodline?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Studio posted:

Isn't there matchmaking based off of bloodline?

They said in a stream somewhere that you will be matched with similar bloodline rank until a certain point (like rank 10 or something), after that you are in game with anyone.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I would MS paint it, but I'm short on time today:

Montoya and I had a beautiful ambush at the boss. Boss was at catfish grove - two dudes were inside the building with him. Montoya creeps up to the south door, armed with a shotgun - I sneak up to the west door, armed with a cavalry sabre and high on stamina shots.

They open the south door trying to escape the butcher / go for ammo. At this moment I rush in from the west side and charge at them.

Montoya instantly blows one away with the shotgun, the second turns to see a maniac running at him. He tries to flee and chooses to run directly at the Butcher who was apparently less terrifying than we were in this moment. He doesn't get far before I stab him.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Awwww that's a shame about the MSpaint.

The dude opening the door looked a little like this:

Tinfoils sabre kill like this:

With me looking on at the end.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
This game is somewhat cruel to new players, I think I'm 3/12 at this point. I'm not really sure how I can do better either because in gun fights I'm often one shotted after landing a hit with the Winston rifle. I know it's not a great gun, but I'm gaining levels so slowly because I keep dying and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do until I hit tier 2 hunters/sparks.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
Are a lot of people playing this solo? If so, are you running alone or letting it match you with someone? I got this along with a friend but our schedules didn’t match up over the weekend so I haven’t really touched it yet. Wondering if it’s worth playing by myself and if so what the best way to queue up is for someone who is basically totally new.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

Abisteen posted:

Are a lot of people playing this solo? If so, are you running alone or letting it match you with someone? I got this along with a friend but our schedules didn’t match up over the weekend so I haven’t really touched it yet. Wondering if it’s worth playing by myself and if so what the best way to queue up is for someone who is basically totally new.

I play a lot of solos and run alone. Most of the time I don't end up going for the boss; I usually grab 2-3 of the clues, fight a player or two, and try and get out. Sometimes I wait at the boss and try and ambush the whomever kills it.

In other news, I ran into a team of 6 last night (im assuming 3 teams of 2 que dropped together). Surprised me to see a mob of people running away after killing the boss, but it didnt stop me from gunning down 4 of them as they made their way to the extraction. They got out with the bounty though.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

While I'll agree that this game is a little tough for new players, it isn't so much about the weapons that the player has access to. Also the tier of hunters is mostly irrelevant, all hunters can get 150hp and therefore able to tank the same amount of damage. For me the traits are a little more important with things like quartermaster allowing you to take two main weapons and pack mule allowing one extra consumerable (read dynamite). But all tier hunters can equip the same traits providing you have unlocked them.

Which is probably your real issue.

It's easy to get into a failure cascade in this game and I think it's fair to say that it has happened to us all. We buy hunter, lose hunter 3 or 4 times and find that we are now skint and not banking any bloodline xp. It's tough but you need to break the cycle. I guess whatever you are doing right now isn't working very well. Also you can't simply rely on unlocking the Sparks and going on to win, they cost 249 dollarydoos and that's a lot of money to lose on top of your hunter.

My advice on how to play the game (ymmv):

1. Read the advice about noise in the OP if you haven't already

2. Learn the areas of the map that people spawn. There is always at least one near you no matter where you spawn on the map.

3. At the start of the game, head straight to your nearest spawn point and kill the fuckers.

4. Listen for the noise of the other teams. Build a mental map of where the people are, their direction of travel, and if you can cut them off and kill them, do it. Keep count of all players dead (that you kill or find)

5. Don't simply wait/rely on getting to the boss and camping/killing everyone there, hunt them down in the wild and hit them when they don't expect it.

6. Engagement range. If you have the jump on other hunters make the most of it. Too many people try to snipe with the Winchester. I know a head shot will kill, but if you attack within the weapons effective range you are going to get more kills.

7. If you keep getting hit by people you don't see, you are making too much noise, taking bad route selections (crossing open water etc) or are being too predictable in general.

8. Be aggressive. You can sneak, you can hide, you can sit in a corner and cry. But winners aren't afraid of a fight. Create you own opportunities and then capitalize on them.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

deported to Canada posted:

While I'll agree that this game is a little tough for new players, it isn't so much about the weapons that the player has access to. Also the tier of hunters is mostly irrelevant, all hunters can get 150hp and therefore able to tank the same amount of damage. For me the traits are a little more important with things like quartermaster allowing you to take two main weapons and pack mule allowing one extra consumerable (read dynamite). But all tier hunters can equip the same traits providing you have unlocked them.

Which is probably your real issue.

It's easy to get into a failure cascade in this game and I think it's fair to say that it has happened to us all. We buy hunter, lose hunter 3 or 4 times and find that we are now skint and not banking any bloodline xp. It's tough but you need to break the cycle. I guess whatever you are doing right now isn't working very well. Also you can't simply rely on unlocking the Sparks and going on to win, they cost 249 dollarydoos and that's a lot of money to lose on top of your hunter.

My advice on how to play the game (ymmv):

1. Read the advice about noise in the OP if you haven't already

2. Learn the areas of the map that people spawn. There is always at least one near you no matter where you spawn on the map.

3. At the start of the game, head straight to your nearest spawn point and kill the fuckers.

4. Listen for the noise of the other teams. Build a mental map of where the people are, their direction of travel, and if you can cut them off and kill them, do it. Keep count of all players dead (that you kill or find)

5. Don't simply wait/rely on getting to the boss and camping/killing everyone there, hunt them down in the wild and hit them when they don't expect it.

6. Engagement range. If you have the jump on other hunters make the most of it. Too many people try to snipe with the Winchester. I know a head shot will kill, but if you attack within the weapons effective range you are going to get more kills.

7. If you keep getting hit by people you don't see, you are making too much noise, taking bad route selections (crossing open water etc) or are being too predictable in general.

8. Be aggressive. You can sneak, you can hide, you can sit in a corner and cry. But winners aren't afraid of a fight. Create you own opportunities and then capitalize on them.

Not making noise and not engaging at huge ranges are key, especially if you are new, especially if you are solo. If you engage two hunters with a Winnie at long range - you are very likely to die. This is not the fault of your 100 HP health pool - nor is it a direct result of the double Sparks they're carrying being OP. It's because you made a bad choice.

I cannot tell you the number of times Montoya and I have killed hunters because they are making a shitload of noise and have 0 situational awareness, or because they saw us and decided to pull the trigger on two Tier II hunters in a defensive position.

Remember that a single Tier 1 hunter with 0 upgrades can take out a fully loaded group of Tier III hunters with over 1000 dollars worth of gear each with one good dynamite toss. I know this because I've done it. It's not about the power of your gun, it's about how you play the game and the situations you put yourself in. You can put yourself in some really good situations, or you can put yourself in some really bad ones.

Most people I see complaining put themselves in bad ones and then blame some weapon power disparity.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 5, 2018

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Right well I'm probably super duper bad at the game cause I'm 3/19 at the moment. I don't think it's like I'm not trying though, I almost never shoot before engaging. I don't stomp around crows and dogs. I probably do need to learn the map better, because I've been ambushed on stairs before and I'm assuming there are some natural choke points.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Applying new thermal paste to CPU. I had a suspicion since I let my friend do this on the initial build. There is almost none on there. Poor processor. I should have taken a picture. It was one small dot of paste and that was it. Might explain the insane heat issues.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

Right well I'm probably super duper bad at the game cause I'm 3/19 at the moment. I don't think it's like I'm not trying though, I almost never shoot before engaging. I don't stomp around crows and dogs. I probably do need to learn the map better, because I've been ambushed on stairs before and I'm assuming there are some natural choke points.

Being ambushed on stairs will most likely be a noise complaint.

Assuming they were on the stairs, they most likely heard you approaching. Every time you move you generate noise and if they were inside the building then....

Personally I'm a big fan of snap ambushes, where you stop and watch the route you have just taken to see if someone is following you. Also when getting near a building I like to stop and listen to see if anyone is inside creeping about before I get close enough for them to hear me. A person in a building crouch walking will make enough noise for you to hear them outside, providing you don't start splashing around like Jemima Puddle Duck and give yourself away.

If you find yourself in a similar situation then you really have two choices, to sit and wait and hope they didn't hear you, so that they leave the building and you can get the jump, or you move in fast and hard with dynamite leading the charge. I'd say about 80% or players are inherent cowards in this game, they will most likely choose to camp and hope you creep into the building with them sat with a shotgun in a corner, say above some stairs.

In truth it all comes down to situational awareness

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Toalpaz posted:

If you are actually being very quiet, it may be because a couple of assholes who know the spawn points (like Montoya and I) are stomping over to where you started and are seeking you out from there. Don't take the most obvious path to your first clue, scout around the location a bit before moving in. It will let you assess the nearby monsters which could agro you - and you might catch a glimpse of some other hunters.

Good example: If you spawn near Blanchett graves, there are three spawns on the west side of the map in that area. While the north guys may decide to go to Fish + Sons, the other two almost invariably go to the graves straight off. There's also a spawn a little further south near huts. (Or you might be the only person in the area)

This can turn the graves into a huge firefight - the first two guys get into a shootout which is heard by the guys at fish + sons. They come in from the north while you're doing your victory taunting and brain you with a sparks.

So take your time and be the psycho hiding in the bushes.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

If you are actually being very quiet, it may be because a couple of assholes who know the spawn points (like Montoya and I) are stomping over to where you started and are seeking you out from there.

If you are dying less than 5 minutes into the game then this will be your cause of death.

Also, if you are the type of person who spawns and runs straight at the closest zombie and melees them or decides to stand on a few birds; that poo poo makes noise, we are already looking for you and you are nothing more than stat padding to us.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

deported to Canada posted:

If you are dying less than 5 minutes into the game then this will be your cause of death.

Also, if you are the type of person who spawns and runs straight at the closest zombie and melees them or decides to stand on a few birds; that poo poo makes noise, we are already looking for you and you are nothing more than stat padding to us.

Welcome to the swamp.

:clint:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm 40 and 16 and I play solo, stomp around like a lunatic, shoot at everything, and engage at extreme distances.

Just don't be afraid to disengage and vanish into the swamp if the fight doesn't go your way, always be aware of your surroundings, and always have an escape route ready.

I always attack people if they're fighting the boss and always fight the boss if no one is fighting him. I haven't been killed by people trying to poach my kill yet :shrug:

Ten of my deaths have been me trying to use the Sparks or Caldwell + variants and man I just hate those guns

Commoners fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2018

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Commoners posted:

Just don't be afraid to disengage and vanish into the swamp if the fight doesn't go your way

I've tried googling this but I still don't understand. Best I can guess is that it has something to do with not killing people but that's where I lose it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Commoners posted:

I'm 40 and 16 and I play solo, stomp around like a lunatic, shoot at everything, and engage at extreme distances.

Just don't be afraid to disengage and vanish into the swamp if the fight doesn't go your way, always be aware of your surroundings, and always have an escape route ready.

I always attack people if they're fighting the boss and always fight the boss if no one is fighting him. I haven't been killed by people trying to poach my kill yet :shrug:

Ten of my deaths have been me trying to use the Sparks or Caldwell + variants and man I just hate those guns

Different strategies can definitely work out well. The key here is:

Commoners posted:

always be aware of your surroundings

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Got a few days of solo play in and I'm getting decent, even if I fail more often than I succeed. I'm getting used to making a decent amount of exp/cash safely in case I die or don't get the bounty (which I have yet to only once so far). Hives and normal zombies are plentiful and not hard to melee down, and I've been able to farm them a good deal without alerting other people by feeling out the flow of the match and hanging out on the back lines. Can't be TOO behind or people will kill the boss before I've even gotten the second clue, though...

Off the top of my head, a few questions:
1> OP wasn't kidding about the armored zombies. Mostly avoid them, but when I want/need to kill one, does it even have a "head" to aim for? It's taken a minimum of three shotgun blasts to down each time, sometimes more.
2> Is the silenced pistol as awesome as it looks? Only gotten to try it a bit since my bloodline isn't that high yet. Seems good for quietish farming of hives and some PvP wetwork.
3> There's random ambient audio that sounds like someone briefly sprinting over wood, right? I thought it was players at first but I've heard it multiple times when creeping around and it always seems to have the same cadence.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Amante posted:

Got a few days of solo play in and I'm getting decent, even if I fail more often than I succeed. I'm getting used to making a decent amount of exp/cash safely in case I die or don't get the bounty (which I have yet to only once so far). Hives and normal zombies are plentiful and not hard to melee down, and I've been able to farm them a good deal without alerting other people by feeling out the flow of the match and hanging out on the back lines. Can't be TOO behind or people will kill the boss before I've even gotten the second clue, though...

Off the top of my head, a few questions:
1> OP wasn't kidding about the armored zombies. Mostly avoid them, but when I want/need to kill one, does it even have a "head" to aim for? It's taken a minimum of three shotgun blasts to down each time, sometimes more.
2> Is the silenced pistol as awesome as it looks? Only gotten to try it a bit since my bloodline isn't that high yet. Seems good for quietish farming of hives and some PvP wetwork.
3> There's random ambient audio that sounds like someone briefly sprinting over wood, right? I thought it was players at first but I've heard it multiple times when creeping around and it always seems to have the same cadence.

1. The best thing to do against armors is aim for the legs first. Two swings will break their leg armor which will cause them to move much more slowly, to the point that they're basically no longer a threat.
2. Yes
3. Not really sure what sound you're talking about here, but maybe it's an non player enemy?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Armored zombies go down in 3 hits if you have the saber. There is no reason to not have the saber.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

keyframe posted:

Armored zombies go down in 3 hits if you have the saber. There is no reason to not have the saber.

But where do I put my pair of Double Barrel Shotguns :confused:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

keyframe posted:

The silenced pistol is a reason not to have the saber. I think 80% of my player kills have come from the silenced pistol.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I unlocked the pump-action shotgun (Spectre) last night.

I was actually underwhelmed. The pump action itself feels like it takes way too long between shots, making the gun feel clunky. It may be a matter of getting use to the timing and evading while I pump up the next round - but my preferred playstyle is to drop a player before he has a chance to respond. That and she doesn't have the same stopping power as the Caldwell Rival or the Romero.

I prefer the double barrel, we'll see if the second pump-action can change my mind later on.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Studio posted:

But where do I put my pair of Double Barrel Shotguns :confused:

Why aren't you running two sabers?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Sard posted:

Why aren't you running two sabers?

Challenge: Kill everyone and get the bounty solo with a pair of knuckle dusters and dynamite only.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I really want a boss monster to be weak to melee weapons. Or a gun-free mode. Just dudes sprinting through the bayou, chopping heads off willy silly.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Sticky Nate posted:

I really want a boss monster to be weak to melee weapons. Or a gun-free mode. Just dudes sprinting through the bayou, chopping heads off willy silly.

The snake boss will be weak to melee, my sources confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I unlocked the pump-action shotgun (Spectre) last night.

I was actually underwhelmed. The pump action itself feels like it takes way too long between shots, making the gun feel clunky. It may be a matter of getting use to the timing and evading while I pump up the next round - but my preferred playstyle is to drop a player before he has a chance to respond. That and she doesn't have the same stopping power as the Caldwell Rival or the Romero.

I prefer the double barrel, we'll see if the second pump-action can change my mind later on.

As far as I can tell, the point of the pump is for comfortably killing bosses without stressing over constant reloads. Why do that when you can kill Butcher in 40 seconds with Double Barrels though.