Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

:iiam:
Let's investigate! :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
That shadowy figure ain’t gonna investigate itself!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Hey! Who's out there?"

"No one!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

What the hell are we finding to eat down here?

Investigate. Maybe whatever-it-is tastes better than cockroaches and lichen.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

:iiam:
Let's investigate! :ninja:
It's one of those choices that almost seems pointless, because why would you not?

The Cauldron of Fear posted:

Fearfully you approach the shadow until you can discern its gruesome features. It is a ghoul, similar to those you encountered in the hollow, but this creature looks even less human. Its swollen skull is set lopsided on its withered frame, and the long black tongue that hangs from its jagged mouth drips with a sticky black venom that bubbles like boiling acid as it hits the ground. It raises a wasted hand and a cone of mist whirls towards your chest.

The mist coils around you like a python embracing its prey. Your body is engulfed by heat so intense that it seems as though you are surrounded by rings of white-hot metal, but your mind is filled with a stabbing icy pain. You lose 3 ENDURANCE points before your Psi-screen repels this psychic assault.

Endurance: 34/37.

You are in combat with a powerful denizen of Zaaryx. There is no time to evade its attack and you must fight it to the death.

Psi-ghoul: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30

If you wield the Sommerswerd in this combat, you may double this undead creature’s ENDURANCE point loss.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 34
Psi-ghoul: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 32
Psi-ghoul: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 8

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 31
Psi-ghoul: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

At last the grisly creature surrenders to death and collapses at your feet. You sheathe your weapon and kneel over its torn body, drawn by the sight of a ring on a finger of its right hand. It gleams incredibly, as though only minutes old, and the deep yellow stone that is set in the silvery metal glows with an eldritch light.

If you wish to keep this Psychic Ring, mark it on your Action Chart as a Special Item that you keep in your pocket.

Healing: +1 EP 32/37.

For countless hours you follow the great avenue as it bisects the heart of Zaaryx. The once-grand buildings that line this ancient thoroughfare are in varying states of decay: some are almost intact while others have disintegrated into little more than piles of black rubble. You try to keep track of time but it proves difficult in the perpetual half-light of this buried world. Twice you stop to sleep and eat before you near the centre of the city. (Erase 2 Meals from your Action Chart or lose 3 ENDURANCE points for each Meal missed. If you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, you are able to forage for food from the wasteland of Zaaryx and therefore you do not need to make any deductions.) There you discover a great hall, its arched porticoes smooth and undamaged by time.

As you pass through one of these massive arches, you notice a group of reptilian creatures huddled at the top of a staircase that descends into darkness. They are stroking a large leathery egg and speaking to each other in a low hissing language.

Healing: +1 EP 33/37.
  1. Do we keep the ring or leave it?
  2. Do we want to sneak up on the reptilians, call out to them, or shoot an arrow at them?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Keep the ring & call out. Congratulations, new lizard folk parents! I hope you aren’t hostile!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We have invisibility, we can probably ace sneaking up on them. And of course we should keep the ring.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

1. Keep ring.
2. Shoot an arrow and aim for the egg.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Maugrim posted:

We have invisibility, we can probably ace sneaking up on them. And of course we should keep the ring.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Keep the ring and call out. We're bound to find someone friendly down here eventually.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Keep the Ring.
Sneak Time!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Keep the ring and call out. We're bound to find someone friendly down here eventually.
All the nicest people live in the perpetual darkness of ancient buried ruins.

The reptilians hear you and fix you with frightened stares. They wrap their webbed hands around the leathery egg protectively and slink quickly down the stairs. You run to the top of the staircase and peer down into the gloom, but you can see nothing in the darkness.

Healing: +1 EP (34/37).

As your light flares into life, you notice an object lying on the steps. It was dropped by one of the reptilians as it made its hasty escape. It is a hexagonal-shaped piece of metal, embossed with a numerical design. (If your source of light is a Torch, remember to erase it from your Action Chart.)

Healing: +1 EP (35/37).

With the experience of what happened when you last touched one of these strange tokens still fresh in your mind, you avoid picking up this one. However, this does not stop you from looking at its intricate design. This token is engraved with a mathematical equation and you calculate the answer to be 320. (Make a note of this number in the margin of your Action Chart, beneath the number you already have listed, as it may well prove useful at a later stage of your adventure.)

Healing: +1 EP (36/37).

Cautiously you descend the staircase, expecting the unexpected, your weapon held ready in case the reptilians attempt a surprise attack. The glow of your Firesphere washes over the black stone stairs below and you freeze in your tracks when you notice a poorly concealed trap. Carefully you step over the snare and continue towards a door at the bottom of the stairs. It is unlocked and slightly ajar.

Healing: +1 EP (37/37).
Shall we open the door and go through or open the door and immediately duck in case someone's waiting to hit us on the other side?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Duck! It’s a choice for a reason, I bet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The penitent man shall pass.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Duck! It’s a choice for a reason, I bet.

I don’t think we’ve ever been offered the option of ducking as we open the door before.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duck, duck, wolf

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jackard posted:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Jackard posted:

:whip:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your caution is well placed. As soon as the door creaks open, a bolt of fiery energy screams over your head and explodes with a tremendous ear-splitting crack against the stairs behind. It was launched from a tube of glowing crystal, supported on the shoulders of two reptilians, kneeling in the corridor ahead. Their long jaws fall open in shocked surprise when they see you rise to your feet and run towards them, your weapon drawn ready to strike.

Crocaryx: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 38

These creatures are immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Owing to the speed of your attack, ignore any ENDURANCE point losses that you sustain in the first two rounds of combat.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 37
Crocaryx: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 38
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 5
Crocaryx: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 24

We roll: 10
Crocaryx: COMBAT SKILL 12 ENDURANCE 0

You follow the corridor to a curved flight of alabaster stairs and descend them to a massive chamber. The floor is constructed of steely-blue metal flecked with silver, and a hundred darkened archways line the walls. Directly ahead stand two gigantic doors of sheeted platinum, engraved with patterns breathtaking in their intricacy. The chamber is deserted, but as you cross the floor and approach the doors, you are acutely aware that any one of the arches could be hiding a legion of reptilians.

In the centre of the door there is a lock that consists of four hexagonal buttons, arranged in the shape of a pyramid, with one button at the top and three buttons in a line below it. Every time you touch a button, a glowing number appears on its surface. Your basic Kai sense informs you that this is a combination lock; if you press each button several times until the correct numbers show on all four buttons the lock will release and the doors will open.
If you know the correct number to press for the top button, and the correct three-figure number for the bottom three buttons, add both numbers together. If you know only one of the two correct numbers that you need to open the lock, enter that number. If you do not know the correct numbers to press for either the top button or the bottom three buttons then we'll have to try something else.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

6 and 320 make 326.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The loving crocodiles have a bazooka!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Jedit posted:

:catstare:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Better yet, how come we don't have one!?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We don't have the necessary training to employ Midnight Sunstone technology.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Answer is clearly 6320

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mikl posted:

6 and 320 make 326.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Answer is clearly 6320

Yep, we have to turn to Section 20 in Book 19.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This is, of course, the correct answer.

There is a soft whirr as the mechanism of the lock disengages, but the door does not open. You will need this key,—the words sound in your head.

You spin around to see a female reptilian, the leader of her kind. She moves towards you from an archway to your right, holding a rod of Korlinium in her webbed hand. The glint of several eyes in the darkness of the other arches warn that she is not alone. Telepathically, she calls to you. You are unlike the other man-things that have dared to enter Zaaryx. What is it that you seek?
Should we answer her or prepare to fight?

I wonder how we can tell that this reptilian is female?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
She's not trying to kill us yet. Let's see what she has to say.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Like most fantasy female reptilians, she has breasts and wears lipstick. :)

This lady's people tried to blow us away with a bazooka, any peaceful approach is clearly a ploy. Prepare to fight!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
”Hello there sexy lizard lady. I’m here to find the Lorestone of McGuffiness but I’ll settle for love.” :swoon:

nelson fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 5, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We're here to find not getting blown up, what about you?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I seek that key and a new pair of boots, you appear to arrive bearing both. But let’s play nice.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

”Hello there sexy lizard lady. I’m here to find the Lorestone of McGuffiness but I’ll settle for love.” :swoon:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

"I'm selling these fine leather jackets and seeking someone who'll buy them, how about it?"

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

nelson posted:

Let's see how smooth Lone Wolf really is. :wink:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

nelson posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Helios Grime posted:

Let's see how smooth Lone Wolf really is. :wink:

“At your service, m’scaly.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

We're here to find not getting blown up, what about you?
This isn't the time for small talk, we're getting right to the point.

‘I seek the Lorestone of Tahou,’ you reply, boldly. ‘I am the Kai Lord, Lone Wolf, and I quest for the wisdom of Nyxator, that I may vanquish the spawn of his enemies and save my people from destruction.’

Her harsh gaze softens as your proud words fill the chamber with resonant echoes. You sense a sadness within her, but she replies with words of joy that form in your mind. Your quest will be fulfilled, as it was by your sire many centuries ago. We have waited long for your coming, Skarn, and we will fulfil our duty to Him who gave us life.

She opens the great platinum doors and beckons you to follow her.

You follow her along passages and sloping tunnels, down long flights of stairs and through magnificent chambers that no human eye has ever seen before. The alien splendour of this ancient city leaves you in awe of the race that once dwelt in these halls. For interminable hours you follow in her wake until you arrive at a circular chamber of rust-red stone. The floor descends in a series of wide steps that encircle the room, and in the middle of the tiers is a shallow pit with a stone dais at its centre.

At your approach, the dais glows with a crimson light that pulses like a living heart. Shimmering waves of silvery radiance sweep the steps and a chorus of voices, soft and sirenic, echo through the upper reaches of the chamber. You surrender yourself to instinct and step upon the dais, cupping your hands before you and raising your face to the roof. A golden light pours out of the darkness, soaking you in its brilliance and filling your senses with a glowing warmth. A gasp of awe arises from the tiers, now crowded with reptilians. They are the Crocaryx, the guardians of this city, the stewards of the Lorestone, who were placed here by the great God Kai. With joy and sorrow they have gathered to witness the fulfilment of their purpose, for your coming marks the end of their stewardship and the beginning of their demise.

High above you a shadow is taking form at the core of the golden light. It is dark and leathery and shaped like an egg. Slowly it breaks and peels open to reveal a sparkling crystal sphere: it is the Lorestone of Tahou, the object of your quest.

A warm tingling runs through your body as the Lorestone descends into your hands and, as you touch the crystal, your senses become charged with a new vitality that obliterates the fatigue of your ordeal and fills you with newfound wisdom and strength (restore your ENDURANCE score to its original total).

Then a swirl of colour engulfs your body and you feel yourself fall forward into the throat of a spinning vortex. The chamber dissolves and you begin to rise at an ever-increasing speed, as if you were falling upwards. A surge of light makes you close your eyes, but it passes in an instant and you find yourself staring down at an incredible and terrible sight.

You look upon the city of Tahou from the balcony of a tall tower, the spire of the Thalis Temple, situated at the heart of the Rainbow Park. It is noon, but there is no brightness in this day, for a grey blanket of smoke covers the sky. Below you lies a shattered city, its once proud buildings now seething infernos, its streets and squares choked with rubble. Hasty defences have been constructed where the city wall is holed or fallen, and the battlements to the north and east are covered with unburied dead.

Beyond the wall, the flats lie shrouded in a mist that curls like the smoke of a thousand campfires. Its thickness is unnatural and you sense at once that it has been conjured to hide the enemy. You leave the tower and make your own way through the burning streets towards the West District, where the fighting at the wall is fiercest. You pass the smouldering ruins of the Anarium and take a fire-swept street that leads to the West Gate. A building at the end of this street is being used as a shelter for the wounded. The roof has caught fire and a handful of soldiers are trying desperately to evacuate the wounded before it collapses.
Will we help these soldiers or keep heading toward the West Gate?