Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

poisonpill posted:

While you wasted time with the plunger, I studied the blade.
While you engaged in alien sex, I mastered the blockchain.
While you spend months in the psi-gym for vanity, I cultivated inner strength.
Now that the world is on fire and the barbarians are at the dimension gate you have the audacity to come to me for help?

*uses psi-powers to make poisonpill explosively defecate*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*calls the biology department to come research a new alien*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcZTY7YcAU

First thing we do is take the ten organics with the least number of kills and shove them into hardcore 24/7 combat training. Everyone else will go to brain training dot com and fill out the daily self assessments and i'll just run it like this for a while see how it turns out. Bots of course are exempt and free to polish their actuators or w/e.

This leads to a weird situation where extreme high ranks like Poverty Goat and Savage Gentleman are in combat training but Superkid getting hosed up on brainwaves. Protag is also on brainwaves too.

Get everyone equipped. I debate what Cantor is going to use and I decide the best bet is akimbo dick guns and a beltful of alien ballsacks.

Next I max out our engineers & get them on toxin. Nothin special.

We'll temporarily hold off on buying the base, I'll probably actually drop off some bots to guard it after the next mission.

Investigation -- Scrooge Mansions:
Owner: Diablo. Function: Slums.
No aliens.

Investigation -- Grey Visitor Towers:
Owner: Diablo. Function: Slums.
S1: Fart Puzzle, Single and LOVING IT, reality_groove, the littlest prince,
S2: Cobra Lionfist, SavageGentleman, Powerful Two-Hander, Sick Ness Monster
S3: havent heard a peep, HBar, guns for tits, Cantorsdust Jr.

farm thing again. Time to get moving. This is gonna be a small map, but will prob have a lot of bullshit packed in.

1) there are civilians. 2) The aliens must be hiding inside.

Due to bullshit reasons I need to go take care of something and i'll finish the update later.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, that's resolved. Don't like this ice accumulation.

Anyway, back in the mission, our weak guys are profoundly outclassed by even our medium dudes. Seriously there's guys who have like 20 TUs compared to 67. I'm gonna have to get these wimpy guys and strip off all grenades, all weapons except minimal. Maybe even dump the medkits.

Anyway the floaters are able to check most rooms before the ground guys can even get to the lift. Sick Ness is not able to distinguish between different sigs, it's a mess of crap.

HBar makes contact:

https://i.imgur.com/WrTHD3T.gifv
Cobra Bears the brunt of the counterattack:
https://i.imgur.com/jjU0BvX.gifv
That was somewhat less than I expected, although it makes sense that the aliens would be spread out all over the place.

E: it's interesting that they really do seem to be living a life cycle. Most worms puke out 4 snakes when they die, and here we had snakes metamorphose to chrysalis and there was one left still as a snake.

So that's the end of that. Do we want the 3rd base? I can just dump off some guys to guard it for the few days it takes for living quarters to actually come online. We currently have $72,266.

What next?
  1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult (hostile)
    b) Evonet
    c) Synthmesh
    d) Sensovision
    e) Solmine
    f) The Cops (allied)
  3. Get new base
  4. Get more ships

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 2, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's get Base 3 from above.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
alright so let's do it

Do we want a garage in this thing? We're probably going to need to decide before we finalize security. A garage would change it from needing two stations to needing four. Also we should decide if we want to build one or both of the training facilities to here, then it could be garrisoned by organics. If we move the regular combat zone here then we could fit another size 4 building in the first base.

I went ahead and threw down some basic facilities + a large workshop. If you want more labs or whatever speak up. Basically give some input on how to run this thing.

We now have $22,266. Some of the bots will be stationed here to guard it until living quarters are done. Then, if we don't get a training facility here they will move in permanently.

We have enough that we can swing construction of one additional big lab of either kind. We could also do something like build training facilities, build a garage (garage is just medbay for cars, we don't need it right now but may want one I guess), build an alien containment zone, build a real medbay, etc.

I'd say only build a medbay or garage if we're going to station a lot of agents or cars here. Only build alien containment if we also build a bio lab.

What do we name the base?
    What kind of poo poo to we put there?
    What next?

1. Raid:
    a) The Cult
    b) Nutrivend
  2. Investigate:
    a) The Cult (hostile)
    b) Evonet
    c) Synthmesh
    d) Sensovision
    e) Solmine
    f) The Cops (allied)
  3. Get new base
  4. Get more ships

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
I think eventually we will want a garage here and should build with that in mind.

We probably need to roll out a couple more investigations.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Do we want a garage in this thing? We're probably going to need to decide before we finalize security. A garage would change it from needing two stations to needing four.

Yo boss, I love being protected by cold, merciless arrays of targeting computers as much as the next guy, but unfortunately we can only power 3 security stations at at time. Apparently psiclone addicts scooped most of the copper wiring outta the walls of the derelict warehouses and slums in the city. If we build 4, one will just hang out and look threatening but won't actually shoot unless one of the others gets blown up/deactivated.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

No garage, no medbay, no training facilities no alien containment. Make this the logistics base, keep some robots and build another large engineering workshop to keep the cash rolling in. Two security stations.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
Bummer... Yeah I guess if we only get 2 stations per base, lets use this to make bank. Robots and Nerds.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

poisonpill posted:

No garage, no medbay, no training facilities no alien containment. Make this the logistics base, keep some robots and build another large engineering workshop to keep the cash rolling in. Two security stations.

The foreman as a point. If we can get enough engineering set up, we'll no longer be dependent on handouts from the government. We'll be able to make our own guns, ammo, and someday soon aircraft and perhaps one day armor and sell the excess to cover our own expenses. The free market will be our benefactor. We will ask no organization to bleed for the sake of XCom, and XCom will bleed for no org! And then we'll be truly free to do whatever we want.

Fellow nerds and agents, join me in making this base a base of awake men and women, and vote to make it a logistics/manufacturing base.

And let us call it "Sniper's Gulch"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wait a minute, that 3 module activation thing may not be what you think. Each security station has FOUR modules already, doesn't it? So obviously they activate and deactivate based on what's nearby, right???

Also this thing could easily fit like 5 big labs. Technically it can fit exactly 6 big labs, 6 living quarters to serve them, and one general store to manipulate items. I don't know what this would mean for guarding it though. Whoever guards it doesn't actually live in it and i'm not 100% sure how the game would handle that. I've been leaving guys in the new bases to guard them till living space comes online just to be sure.

Having 60 nerds in a base is fuckin nuts but I don't think it's mechanically impossible?

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

wait a minute, that 3 module activation thing may not be what you think. Each security station has FOUR modules already, doesn't it? So obviously they activate and deactivate based on what's nearby, right???

You're right. I probably ought to come clean about getting my engineering degree by mail order, but with all these new vacancies opening up you'll probably want to keep me on staff.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I literally do not know either way, we might find out in some hell raid

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Let's get a garage and a medbay here, and use it as a second operating base.

As for the garage: can we have it share one of its security stations with the initial lift, thus making it so we only need 3 security stations?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the garage counts as an ingress point. So if we wanted to seal off the base as is, we would just put two stations butted up right on the lift. If we have the garage and want the whole rest of the base sealed from any ingress we would have to do something like this:

or more likely this

Another thing with this or a couple other of the bases is we could add in as many garages as we wanted without having to build more security, it self limits because it's not just a hive of hallways they could skirt around. Garages are really only good if you have multiple damaged ships. You need them, but you also shouldn't be in a situation where you need a shitload of them. But at the same time, if we get some actual good rear end ships we could end up brawling. As now our ships just get shot down, but if we had tough ones (or I backed them off and gave better orders) they could probably take a few hits then escape and repair.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Since our Commander SniperWoreConverse is enjoying a well-deserved night off, I wanted to post some X-Com related news.

Here's a recent video with a walk-through of gameplay from the upcoming X-com like game called Phoenix Point. The game is being worked on by Julian Gollop: the same designer who worked on XCom Apocalypse, and who also started the X-Com Franchise . So far I'm liking what I see and had contributed to their initial crowd-funding campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGPUaJvi_8

Note the video has a few sound-syncing issues and is not due to the gameplay itself.

Here's the game's website if you want to know more:

https://phoenixpoint.info/

Note: the gamesite appears to have a few aggressive pop-ups asking to subscribe for more info. If you click "No thanks" then you will get to the site's main content. Or go ahead and subscribe (I did earlier).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you subscribe they will email you a thing forl like 20% off or some poo poo

anyway I was thinking of just pounding out a few missions and doing a hard FF just showing the results and who did the missions. Just until we get to a major change. Anyone got opinions on this?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

anyway I was thinking of just pounding out a few missions and doing a hard FF just showing the results and who did the missions. Just until we get to a major change. Anyone got opinions on this?
Fine by me: whatever makes your job easier.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Go for it, the missions get a little repetitive and at this point there's no need for a play-by-play on each one unless there's something new or interesting.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Yeah agreed, I feel like we need to get some new poo poo researched so we can start shooting down bigger things. Also blowing up more hospitals "accidentally".

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Yeah go for it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
areite brace it'll take max an hour or couple or whatever

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right so there's an alert at Synthmesh HQ. I strip the weak guys to minimum equipment, especially guns for tits, super super low strength.

S1: Fart Puzzle, Cobra Lionfist, guns for tits
S2: Powerful Two-Hander, Sick Ness Monster, the littlest prince
S3: Single and LOVING IT, reality_groove, Cantorsdust Jr.
S4: havent heard a peep, SavageGentleman, HBar

It's another mission where there's a lot of fancy poo poo and it's very dense despite the smallish map. There are aliens and civilians.

I have the flight crew check some windows and we HBar & Peep see some snakes but not much else. There doesn't seem to be any access points and I think it'd be a bad idea to blow a hole in the wall so the flight crew just floats around while everyone makes it to the main entrance. We notice a blue hanging out in their lobby, turns out there were about five. A swarm of snakes come out but we take them all out easily. Mission succesfl

Turns out the jizz launcher is either really lovely against aliens, or it's damage over time, or I just don't know how to actually use it. It's also a slow weapon.

Enfield completes some toxin so they just keep making more. Lauroon team does the same but toxin guns.

Psyke tries to attack the cops:

I wish they would bring this poo poo out when the loving UFOs show up. This could have been us getting bombed, so maybe it's good that we truced out.

After this I got distracted with the game unpaused and only realized when the cops blew up some guys. Whoops. Infiltration is way down, so it's not a big deal.
The rest of the day passes uneventfully.

pre:
 The Cult: 10% (-6)
Synthmesh:  6% (-2)
   Evonet:  3% (-6)
   Diablo:  0% (-6)
It's almost for sure that they're going to send UFOs with numbers like this

Due to an oversight department rankings were calculated incorrectly, this is now resolved:

Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Bio-Transport: The capture and study of live alien specimens will help us understand the nature of the alien threat. In order to do this we need an interdimensional transport vehicle that can contain and sustain alien life forms. (needs big physics lab)
  2. Alien Artifact (87%): An alien beam weapon (pube gun)
  3. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  4. Alien Artifact: A powerful alien grenade
  5. Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection
  6. Light Disruptor Beam: A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  7. UFO Type 4: Alien interdimensional craft (shitpile)
  8. UFO Type 6: Alien interdimensional craft (shwarma)
+If you got opinions on what to build or do speak up

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Start Building another Large Physics Lab in the new base so we can knock down the tiny physics lab at Enfield and put a security station in its place (for our garage).

Also start building a Large Engineering Bay.

Since we're researching the Pube Gun at the large lab for now, I vote we research the Light Disruptor Beam at the small lab while it's still around.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Turns out the jizz launcher is either really lovely against aliens, or it's damage over time, or I just don't know how to actually use it. It's also a slow weapon.

I'm pretty sure the description says it's effective against humans, and not aliens. Anyway, investigate the bio-transport, then the cloaking device. Build a large physics lab & large engineering bay.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh yeah, forgot to mention the third base looks like this rn:

so that's a security station, living quarters, general stores, big workshop

poisonpill posted:

I'm pretty sure the description says it's effective against humans, and not aliens. Anyway, investigate the bio-transport, then the cloaking device. Build a large physics lab & large engineering bay.

yeah but it was completely ineffective against us and i'm curious to find out why

e: also i'm just gonna add up whatever votes and the top two will get researched, even if it bumps down current research. feel free to say what you want in the big lab

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Pube Gun & Light disrupter

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Voting Pube Gun and Bio-Transport

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Research the pube gun and bio transport.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Dong Quixote posted:

Pube Gun & Light disrupter

I vote this.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I know I'm just a filthy biologist, but the bio transport seems useless without a Jerry rigged UFO to hop through the portal with.

One big enough to fit it, which probably rules out the probe

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Man I go away for a bit, come back, and I’ve skyrocketed from garbage rookie to death machine.

Also, let’s kidnap some motherfuckers. Bio-transport

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
Voting pube gun and poo poo pile.

I'm pretty sure the entropy launcher isn't effective against us because of the personal shields. Without the shields, it destroys armor and eventually destroys the agent. Its actually really bad news when someone gets hit with it and they don't have a shield.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

SnotGrumble posted:

Voting pube gun and poo poo pile.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vadun posted:

I know I'm just a filthy biologist, but the bio transport seems useless without a Jerry rigged UFO to hop through the portal with.

One big enough to fit it, which probably rules out the probe

This is true. I should have described it better, but the bio-transport option in the vote is not just another better module, it's an actual ship built around the desire to retrieve biological specimens directly from the alien dimension.

if we research this, and it finishes before 7 days, sending manned missions through before we implement the probe will be an option the thread has. Kind of think we should send just a probe at first, but it'll be up to you guys if it plays out that way.

gonna finish this morning cup and then we'll continue

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Looking like we'd be researching the pube blaster & biotransport. The bio has to be in the big lab, but the pube gun has an overwhelming vote almost more than everything else combined so it rightfully should be in a bigger lab. We'll compromise and the highest ranked scientists will transfer to the small lab. It's not a big change, but the small lab is only 13 short of the hypothetical maximum skill

Next is base 3, in order to get a second big physics lab we'll need more than $10,000. We could raid but instead I sell a handful of weapons. There's no point in starting construction for the nerd apartments, it would be a waste of upkeep. Once the lab gets to ~3 days left i'll build that and they'll come online at the same time.

we can still easily fit a garage into this thing if we want, but it might be best to put it off until we have a bunch of new ships and see how they fare against the UFOs.

Next is going to be money. We need more to keep building toxin. I just sell off some more guns, gently caress it. This covers us for 8 more toxin clips and I order more. Same with toxin guns.

Infiltration is way down:

pre:
 The Cult: 8% (-2)
Synthmesh: 3% (-3)
   Evonet: 0% (-3)

Hell yeah, as a heads up we have 94 of these things, so anyone wants one can have one. Hell you can grab two or three if you want.

Pick some choices for physics research:
  1. Bio-Transport (46%): The capture and study of live alien specimens will help us understand the nature of the alien threat. In order to do this we need an interdimensional transport vehicle that can contain and sustain alien life forms. (needs big physics lab)
  2. Alien Artifact: An intelligent alien proximity mine
  3. Alien Artifact: A powerful alien grenade
  4. Alien Artifact: An alien device which limits detection
  5. Light Disruptor Beam (1%): A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  6. UFO Type 4: Alien interdimensional craft (shitpile)
  7. UFO Type 6: Alien interdimensional craft (shwarma)
+If you got opinions on what to build or do speak up

same as before, vote for as many as you want, I add them up, top slot gets big lab, second place gets small lab. Don't gotta be in physics to vote.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
1) Bio-Transport
2) shitpile

I kinda wanna know what a shitpile can teach us. :shobon:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Bio transport and shitpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Light disrupter & biotrans

Fancy new craft won't matter if we're still arming them with lasers. We can't fit these to normal human vehicles so we need to research the home-built ones to go with them.

• Locked thread