Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

so what i've gathered is that italy is basically going to turn out like the UK but without a functioning left movement

lmao yall hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I don't think comparisons with other countries make sense. Case in point: M5S is the first national party

Speaking of the impact of Italian elections on the rest of the world, an article on Foreign Policy argues that it amounts to nothing. I present it without comment

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Agean90 posted:

so what i've gathered is that italy is basically going to turn out like the UK but without a functioning left movement

lmao yall hosed

I sort of came in here to ask, what happened to the Italian Left?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Agean90 posted:

lmao yall hosed

tbf, this was labour's apparent status in 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yossarian-22 posted:

tbf, this was labour's apparent status in 2015

And would still be if it weren't for a single, stubborn maker of jam.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress is happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYbeJAk9SM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

that seems extremely lol to me

this seems as good athread as any to put this too

https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/status/970364940098854912
fuuuuuck this is going to blow my informants' cover

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

KomradeX posted:

I sort of came in here to ask, what happened to the Italian Left?

Turned liberal, got bought out or was purged (for terrorism first and corruption next). It survives in its purest form, as a loose network of splinter Communist parties, associations and squats - i.e. alive and trying to do good, but politically nonexistent

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Turned liberal, got bought out or was purged (for terrorism first and corruption next). It survives in its purest form, as a loose network of splinter Communist parties, associations and squats - i.e. alive and trying to do good, but politically nonexistent

Oh so kind of like what happened everywhere else. Well that's awful

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
are there any royalists left floating around? wanna laff at anyone who wants Savoy's large adult sons back

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Shark Sandwich posted:

are there any royalists left floating around? wanna laff at anyone who wants Savoy's large adult sons back

I had a monarchist uncle but I believe he immediately converted to the next best thing, i.e. Berlusconi

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hackbunny posted:

I had a monarchist uncle but I believe he immediately converted to the next best thing, i.e. Berlusconi

i guess dreams do come true

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Looking forward to the Futurist anti-vaccination coalition of doom.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I vote this thread + election 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Looling forward to rotten tomatoes running for us president in 2020

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
the one cool thing about the M5S xenophobic anti-vaccine kooks is that they support a GMI, which has made them a favorite of poor southern italians. again, still baffled at liberi e uguali not doing better. probably just not crazy or pro-mafia enough

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

I don't think comparisons with other countries make sense. Case in point: M5S is the first national party

Speaking of the impact of Italian elections on the rest of the world, an article on Foreign Policy argues that it amounts to nothing. I present it without comment
my friend shared that with me and i don't have the heart to tell him that it's stupid because it uses "meritocracy" unironically

by the way, M5S looks like they might be walking back on their "no coalitions ever" pledge. from the politico live blog:

quote:

5STARS: NO ONE WILL GOVERN WITHOUT US

“Nobody will be able to govern without the 5Star Movement,” said Riccardo Fraccaro, a 5Star lawmaker, told the party faithful. “In the next few days we’ll be ready to talk to all the political forces that will want to, about what Italy needs.”

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's possible that m5s/ln could form a hypernormal coalition, since only 40% is necessary :|

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

it's possible that m5s/ln could form a hypernormal coalition, since only 40% is necessary :|
that would suck tremendously. isn't the lega stuck with Forza Italia, though?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

:ducksiren: PROJECTIONS :ducksiren:

lol there may actually be a LN/M5S coalition

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

get that OUT of my face posted:

:ducksiren: PROJECTIONS :ducksiren:

lol there may actually be a LN/M5S coalition

Ahahahaha.... aha.... :suicide:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i have no idea if that would be better than berlusconi or worse? on the bright side you essentially get the same outcome of 2/3rds fascist at the bottom of the ticket (assuming brothers is part of it), but ln's result is utterly frightening

edit: i hadn't realized how much m5s wants to get rid of all their newly arrived libyans, so maybe they're worse after all

Yossarian-22 has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Mar 5, 2018

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Yossarian-22 posted:

the one cool thing about the M5S xenophobic anti-vaccine kooks is that they support a GMI, which has made them a favorite of poor southern italians. again, still baffled at liberi e uguali not doing better. probably just not crazy or pro-mafia enough

my wife voted for liberi e uguali :unsmith:

i need to register to vote here

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
rated this thread 5

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

apparently a M5S/LN coalition government has been considered to be a possibility for both parties since late January. things are going to get really cool

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

my friend shared that with me and i don't have the heart to tell him that it's stupid because it uses "meritocracy" unironically

And not just that, it stinks of liberal "if you don't like it then leave" throughout. An example to illustrate this, a striking difference between the programs of two small parties in how they planned to fix the many issues of public education: leftist Potere al Popolo by improving schools, especially in southern Italy, so that students could get a good education anywhere; centrist liberal +Europa, by incentivizing students to attend the best schools available, based on merit. It's true that the South is a pretty depressed area and I can believe it traps smart people in dead-end careers but... how about we fix it instead of helping the best escape it, which will only make the situation worse?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

well hey at least it looks like berlusconi got hosed

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

rated this thread 5

time to start the Five Golden Manbabies Movement

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

well hey at least it looks like berlusconi got hosed
Berlusconi? no, no, this is a defeat of *reading notes* Antonio Tajani

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jBrereton posted:

Berlusconi? no, no, this is a defeat of *reading notes* Antonio Tajani

i like their current party logo

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
3 1/2 years until this happens to the SPD and CDU-CSU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i figured the art would be better in our weimar period

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i like their current party logo

Mr. B is ineligible for public office until 2019 :eng101:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/wheatretard/status/970436583651504132

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

He's right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/cutthebull1822/status/970586155166167040

:thunk:

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
never heard of an italian not being able to talk about immigrants, they usually don't call them by that term tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/970637307819839489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

• Locked thread