Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

flirty dental hygienist posted:

What are some good funeral doom bands for when I want to sit in a dark room and act depressed and brood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4LFLYmjbpE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

flirty dental hygienist posted:

What are some good funeral doom bands for when I want to sit in a dark room and act depressed and brood?

Most of the obvious ones have been mentioned but Stabat Mater and Worship(mainly the early material) are cool too. Also Disembowelment were really death/doom but they were an important influence on that style and are just generally cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMxiafweCGI

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Debut album from Towards Atlantis Lights also a good fit for funeral doom recs. Only half of it is streamable yet, another six days before release, but since the first track is half an hour long, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What about funeral doomy stuff with clean vocals and more spooky vampire band who lives in a sad goth castle vibes

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I was touring with an Italian band, one of them put this on and said, "Imagine you in really cold castle in france, by yourself, this is that soundtrack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZJCXBN_gjk

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
well, i finally listened to watching from a distance, and not only do i feel depressed, but i also feel like it hit me hard right where i needed to be hit

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pokey Araya posted:

I was touring with an Italian band, one of them put this on and said, "Imagine you in really cold castle in france, by yourself, this is that soundtrack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZJCXBN_gjk

That description owns and I’m digging this!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

well, i finally listened to watching from a distance, and not only do i feel depressed, but i also feel like it hit me hard right where i needed to be hit

Oh man. Finding that in the late 00s as a lonely weird moody teen was incredible. I had never heard anything that struck me the same. It was oddly comforting in a way. Like the comfort of facing something incredibly real and painful in life but feeling slightly more okay just for the act of accepting it. It still hits me the same way every time I listen to it. Sometimes I avoid it for that reason. At the end of the day though it’s going to remain one of the most impactful albums I’ve ever heard.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So I know everyone loves talking about hearing damage in here, and after a recent show I played my tinnitus is worse than ever, which means pretty bad so I took a look to see if there’s any hope in the future

https://www.ata.org/research-toward-cure

That’s a patient based association that has given $6 million to tinnitus research since 1980.

I take that to mean I am absolutely hosed, that’s nothing, holy poo poo.

Ok sorry I’m just bugging. And I just got a ticket for the next Melvin’s show :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

What about funeral doomy stuff with clean vocals and more spooky vampire band who lives in a sad goth castle vibes

That's more like paradise lost style death/doom

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Psychedelic Doom-Rock sung in highly-tripped out Finnish. I like it. https://seremonia.bandcamp.com

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i liked that black wreath album, that's sort of funeral doomy

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh man. Finding that in the late 00s as a lonely weird moody teen was incredible. I had never heard anything that struck me the same. It was oddly comforting in a way. Like the comfort of facing something incredibly real and painful in life but feeling slightly more okay just for the act of accepting it. It still hits me the same way every time I listen to it. Sometimes I avoid it for that reason. At the end of the day though it’s going to remain one of the most impactful albums I’ve ever heard.

i somehow went in blind. like, it’s always been on my list, but i just never got around to it. again, some of the lyrics touched on some poo poo i’ve been thinking about/feeling lately. it was beautiful, in a way.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There was some promising all/treatment that basically added noise to your favorite music that you then listen to as a means of cancelling out the tinnitus noise.

It works on the knowledge that our senses eventually tune out useless information (like when you stare at a picture for a while and it starts to vanish) and tries to trick your brain into tuning out the tinnitus.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i somehow went in blind. like, it’s always been on my list, but i just never got around to it. again, some of the lyrics touched on some poo poo i’ve been thinking about/feeling lately. it was beautiful, in a way.

I've always appreciated the video description of the full album on youtube

PlanetTristan from Youtube posted:

Published on 12 Jun 2015
it is 2:48 am and i am feeling all sorts of horrible things as i write this description. i regret everything. the last two years of my life were wasted waiting and working for something i knew would never come to fruition. i lost sight of who i was for someone who never cared about me. she was using me and i knew she was and i let it happen anyways.

anyways, i've been listening to this album nonstop for a little over a month now and while the tracks are all available individually on youtube i thought it'd be nice to have it all in one convenient video.

click play to hear my heart break.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The new Fu Manchu album, Clone of the Universe, is full of groovy / fuzzy goodness. It also has an epic 18 minute (mostly instrumental) closer called, “Il Mostro Atomico”, that features Alex Lifeson of Rush.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ufomammut announce NA tour:

5/23/2018 Alchemy - Providence, RI
5/24/2018 Ram's Head Live - Baltimore, MD @ Maryland Death Fest*
5/25/2018 Saint Vitus Bar - Brooklyn, NY
5/26/2018 Cattivo - Pittsburgh, PA
5/27/2018 Reggies - Chicago, IL
5/29/2018 Lookout Lounge- Omaha, NE
5/30/2018 Hi-Dive - Denver, CO
6/01/2018 Neurolux - Boise, ID
6/02/2018 Barboza - Seattle, WA @ Northwest Terror Fest
6/03/2018 Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR w/ Usnea
6/05/2018 Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA
6/06/2018 Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
6/07/2018 Hi-Hat - Los Angeles, CA
6/08/2018 Club Red - Phoenix, AZ
6/09/2018 Sister - Albuquerque, NM
6/11/2018 The Lost Well - Austin, TX
6/13/2018 Growlers - Memphis, TN
6/14/2018 Pilot Light - Knoxville, TN
6/15/2018 529 - Atlanta, GA
6/16/2018 Kings - Raleigh, NC
6/18/2018 Johnny Brenda's - Philadelphia, PA
6/21/2018 Sled Island Festival - Calgary, AB

Anyone seen them live? How are they?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Ufomammut announce NA tour:

5/23/2018 Alchemy - Providence, RI
5/24/2018 Ram's Head Live - Baltimore, MD @ Maryland Death Fest*
5/25/2018 Saint Vitus Bar - Brooklyn, NY
5/26/2018 Cattivo - Pittsburgh, PA
5/27/2018 Reggies - Chicago, IL
5/29/2018 Lookout Lounge- Omaha, NE
5/30/2018 Hi-Dive - Denver, CO
6/01/2018 Neurolux - Boise, ID
6/02/2018 Barboza - Seattle, WA @ Northwest Terror Fest
6/03/2018 Mississippi Studios - Portland, OR w/ Usnea
6/05/2018 Elbo Room - San Francisco, CA
6/06/2018 Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
6/07/2018 Hi-Hat - Los Angeles, CA
6/08/2018 Club Red - Phoenix, AZ
6/09/2018 Sister - Albuquerque, NM
6/11/2018 The Lost Well - Austin, TX
6/13/2018 Growlers - Memphis, TN
6/14/2018 Pilot Light - Knoxville, TN
6/15/2018 529 - Atlanta, GA
6/16/2018 Kings - Raleigh, NC
6/18/2018 Johnny Brenda's - Philadelphia, PA
6/21/2018 Sled Island Festival - Calgary, AB

Anyone seen them live? How are they?

I saw them 2016 I think, they're not incredible or anything but pretty solid. Not as dull as Windhand for example.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They also have neat visuals and merch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love Ufomammut. Eve is so so so good.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone know why Kreation Records stopped releasing stuff a few years back?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ufomammut followed Monolord when I saw them and it was pretty good. Definitely wear earplugs.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
New Ilsa album is a good sludgy slab of noise to stuff in your ears.
https://ilsa.bandcamp.com/album/corpse-fortress

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
holy poo poo, a new eagle twin album is coming! march 30 https://www.revolvermag.com/music/hear-eagle-twin-take-death-and-devil-bluesy-new-doom-track-heavy-hoof

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just reporting in to let everyone know that Cave of Swimmers are still great live, and they also still have the best footwork in metal this side of Kip Winger.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shakenbaker posted:

Just reporting in to let everyone know that Cave of Swimmers are still great live, and they also still have the best footwork in metal this side of Kip Winger.

I love the guitarists antics

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Any recommendations for this kind of music or similar but in standard tuning? Obviously the first two Sabbath records. Then there's some other older stuff like Leafhound and Sir Lord Baltimore. Just want some more options for stuff to play without having to retune my guitar to drop b or whatever.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any recommendations for this kind of music or similar but in standard tuning? Obviously the first two Sabbath records. Then there's some other older stuff like Leafhound and Sir Lord Baltimore. Just want some more options for stuff to play without having to retune my guitar to drop b or whatever.

If you've got Leafhound and SLB you surely have Pentagram (First Daze). The first couple Blood Ceremony records have a lot of fun to play riffs, they seem to have gone more like pagan folk now.

Hell, watching Ash vs Evil Dead reminded me of a few old Deep Purple riffs I forgot about. Space Truckin is p metal

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Oh I thought pentagram was in C. The early stuff is standard?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You could be totally right I guess I just assumed their early 70s stuff was standard. Actually now that I'm thinking about it I would love to know about the history of downtuning in the rock/etc world I really don't know who was doing it when other than when Iommi started. I think Hendrix and EVH experimented with Eb standard and the earliest drop D I can think of is Moby Dick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think Candlemass is mostly standard or Eb.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Hellblazer187 posted:

The right answer is to buy a new guitar for drop tunings. One per if you're really pro level.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah I mean that's the plan but it'll be a few months before I have the scratch for that. So I want stuff to work on in the meantime.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
70s hard rock. Early trouble maybe

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey yall, I was making a playlist of non-album Clutch and rediscovered Sucking the 70s.

The first concert I ever went to was Dixie Witch, Suplecs, and Alabama Thunder Pussy.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

quoting myself because the first released track rules

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
First round of bands announced for Days of Darkness :gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Seems like a pretty decent start. How Are BOC these days, anyway?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hm, I know that poster wasn't meant to answer my question but BOC is probably not a bad place to look for rock songs in standard.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Hm, I know that poster wasn't meant to answer my question but BOC is probably not a bad place to look for rock songs in standard.

Yeah when Iommi heard godzilla he probably slapped his forehead so hard another finger fell off.

Anyway I bought the DoD ticket. With two venues they are saying they will have double the bands. If it's pound for pound as good as last year it will be a true embarrassment of riches.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just looked up a recent BOC setlist and I have to admit I'm surprised by some of the decisions. Career of Evil, Hot Rails to Hell, Astronomy, Veteran of The Psychic Wars... none of them make it in. And some of the ones that do are deep cuts. Then again, I'm a filthy casual when it comes to BOC, so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Seems like a pretty decent start. How Are BOC these days, anyway?

Haven't seen them in 5 or 6 years but they were still fun as hell back then.