Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I pay $74 after taxes/fees for unlimited data with my FAN discount. It's been at least a year since I checked, but I don't believe switching to one of AT&T's current plans will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

Difficult to tell because lots of different things can go into that final bill. On your bill, it should list like “data unlimited $X / messaging $X /national account discount -$X” under your phone number. What are those charges?

Hey, finally got a chance to check this out:

Nation 450 with Rollover $39.99
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00

National Account Discount -$12.00

Then all the taxes and fees raise it up another $9 or so, for a total (after discount) of $96.94.

Given the above, are the new plans worth it? I will only have one line going forward (same as I do now).

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Hey, finally got a chance to check this out:

Nation 450 with Rollover $39.99
Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
Messaging Unlimited $20.00

National Account Discount -$12.00

Then all the taxes and fees raise it up another $9 or so, for a total (after discount) of $96.94.

Given the above, are the new plans worth it? I will only have one line going forward (same as I do now).

The new single-line plan with 10gb of hotspot and Canada/Mexico roaming would be $2 more a month. I think that’s worth it but you decide

The other unlimited plan would be $28 less but 6mbps max speed (still has Canada/Mexico)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The cheap unlimited plan is limited to 3mbps, not 6.

Also a small point, those prices include a $5 autopay discount.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm going to be in Toronto for NYE weekend. I'm like nwiniwn on an old Nation 450 and Unlimited Data. Would my best option be to just use the $10/day international day pass? That automatically triggers and I don't have to do anything, right?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 23, 2017

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm going to be in Toronto for NYE weekend. I'm like nwiniwn on an old Nation 450 and Unlimited Data. Would my best option be to just use the $10/day international day pass? That automatically triggers and I don't have to do anything, right?

Nope. You can't do $10/day on the old Nation plans. Switch onto one of the new ones; those include Canada. Once you do that, you have to add a feature to your account (it's free) which allows the $10/day to trigger.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Nope. You can't do $10/day on the old Nation plans. Switch onto one of the new ones; those include Canada. Once you do that, you have to add a feature to your account (it's free) which allows the $10/day to trigger.
If I don't want to do that, what are my options? Pay per use?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

If I don't want to do that, what are my options? Pay per use?

Passport, which gives you (I think these changes already went into effect; I've been out sick almost all week) 1GB data and unlimited texting for $60 or 3GB for $120

But seriously the new plans are just better

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

Passport, which gives you (I think these changes already went into effect; I've been out sick almost all week) 1GB data and unlimited texting for $60 or 3GB for $120

But seriously the new plans are just better
Yeah, I went to an ATT store and it looks like my only real options are to switch to Unlimited Choice (which maxes out at 3 Mbps for data) or get a Rogers SIM with a Canadian number which doesn't require my phone to be unlocked. I'm leaning toward the latter since apparently I can do the basic $10 prepaid with 100 MB data for $10 which will be more than enough to iMessage my friends and GPS/Uber for the weekend.

Edit: apparently the Rogers solution is a lie. Guess I'll buy an unlock on eBay.

Edit2: apparently the eBay unlocks don't work on locked phones anymore lol rip

Edit3: I managed to get my iPhone unlocked so it looks like I'll just use a prepaid Canadian SIM. On that note, when I called ATT about the Rogers solution, they said that an unlocked iPhone would only work with postpaid SIMs. What is even the point of that kind of misinformation?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 23, 2017

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ATT, even executive customer issue people are amazing. I filed a complaint with the FCC, got bounced around between different executive offices and finally got a response that was the corporate form letter version of “Nuh-uuuUUUUuuuuhhhhhh”

Meanwhile I had references and proof out the rear end that they were mis billing me for YEARS.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

The new single-line plan with 10gb of hotspot and Canada/Mexico roaming would be $2 more a month. I think that’s worth it but you decide

The other unlimited plan would be $28 less but 6mbps max speed (still has Canada/Mexico)

Hmm I mostly travel between home and school, both of which have WiFi-and I never go to Canada or Mexico, so I don’t think it would pay off for me.

If the other unlimited plan has 6mbps (or 3, since there’s some confusion on this based on the other poster), what mbps am I currently getting? Does it allow for a hotspot at all?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Hmm I mostly travel between home and school, both of which have WiFi-and I never go to Canada or Mexico, so I don’t think it would pay off for me.

If the other unlimited plan has 6mbps (or 3, since there’s some confusion on this based on the other poster), what mbps am I currently getting? Does it allow for a hotspot at all?

It’s definitely 3, I misremembered

No hotspot. Currently you get whatever speed the cell network can give you

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

It’s definitely 3, I misremembered

No hotspot. Currently you get whatever speed the cell network can give you

Ah ok-any idea what the average speed usually is? I’m in Boston if that helps at all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nwiniwn posted:

Ah ok-any idea what the average speed usually is? I’m in Boston if that helps at all.

That’s impossible for me to tell you. You could download Speedtest and find out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kingcobweb posted:

That’s impossible for me to tell you. You could download Speedtest and find out.

Good enough-thanks

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Finally got around to getting a Nighthawk LTE hotspot. From BestBuy, since AT&T has absolutely none of them I guess. Great signal. Then the battery stopped charging and it didn't want to start up again. Apparently though running it without the battery worked. Is it a feature? Is it a bug? Who knows, reading old aussie posts on this (They got this thing before us), apparently it has a really fussy battery and temperature management system, and it was designed for only "intermittent use".

Considering AT&T is completely OOS on these things, did you hear anything about issues with these things, king?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
They fired me on the 11th so I have no idea

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

If you feel like answering, what happened?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kingcobweb posted:

😕 wireless has been stressful lately, I’m sorry dude.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

Sorry to hear that dude.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
OK I feel like I am crazy because I was pretty sure this was a thing...

I just added U-Verse TV to my account and since I was already messing with things I decided look at my plan. I'm Unlimited Plus multi-line with a tablet and Apple Watch, I could have sworn there was a cheaper option where I could switch to a Unlimited Plus single line for about $20 cheaper and then add my tablet and watch as add ons instead of seperate lines.

Is that not the case? I may just jettison my tablet and use the hotspot instead of playing like $40 a month for it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html#legal

Scroll up slightly to the bottom FAQ question:

Can I add a tablet or wearable to my AT&T Unlimited PlusSM or AT&T Unlimited ChoiceSM plan? posted:

Yes, if you have a multi-line AT&T Unlimited PlusSM or AT&T Unlimited ChoiceSM plan, you can add a tablet to your plan for $20/mo. or wearable for $10/mo. If you have a single line AT&T Unlimited PlusSM or AT&T Unlimited ChoiceSM plan, you can add up to two standalone AT&T Unlimited Tablet plans for $20/mo. each and/or AT&T Unlimited Wearable plans for $10/mo. each. When you’re ready to order, give us a call at 800.331.0500 or drop by any AT&T Retail location. Check out (eSupport) for more details.

So mix or match two additional devices, tablet or wearable. Reading Legal... oddly the Unlimited Wearable Plan doesn't include "Roam North America". No Smart Watch for you north or south of the border :canada:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 24, 2018

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Blows my mind they want an extra $120/yr to use your watch

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

pzy posted:

Yes, to use it on cellular data.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BeAuMaN posted:

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html#legal

Scroll up slightly to the bottom FAQ question:

So mix or match two additional devices, tablet or wearable. Reading Legal... oddly the Unlimited Wearable Plan doesn't include "Roam North America". No Smart Watch for you north or south of the border :canada:

I have literally spent hours on the phone today with people, even supervisors that don't seem to understand the english language or basic math trying to get my watch and tablet with a single line plan.

I finally got someone on the chat service that did it but everyone on the phone acted like I was crazy for suggesting that I could have a tablet and a watch and not pay $50 more a month for a multiline plan even though it says those exact words on their website.

pzy posted:

Only for wireless. And it's still a little more than I think it should be but I assume that AT&T can't just add a device to their network without a ton of patent, licensing and service contract fees not to mention support costs. It's probably just a few bucks but I seriously doubt it is free. Plus there is no contact.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Three Olives posted:

I have literally spent hours on the phone today with people, even supervisors that don't seem to understand the english language or basic math trying to get my watch and tablet with a single line plan.

I finally got someone on the chat service that did it but everyone on the phone acted like I was crazy for suggesting that I could have a tablet and a watch and not pay $50 more a month for a multiline plan even though it says those exact words on their website.

My goondolences. Hopefully you won't have to face that again soon.

As for me... Welllllll... So it ends up this AT&T Nighthawk LTE, which is basically a Netgear except customized for AT&T... has all of their support handled by AT&T. And woo boy does this thing have a grand antenna, but the thing has issues. I mean Netgear is completely hands off. No firmware notes, just 4 FAQ questions and a manual, and they refer you to contact AT&T.

For you AT&T vets or ex-employees: How many levels of tech support are there and what's the easiest way to get up top? Also, is there an actual AT&T tech support e-mail? I know AT&T was REAL cagey about e-mail in regards to talking general customer support with plan changes and stuff (Never wanting to guarantee anything in writing), but do they at least use e-mail for tech support issues?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This is a really stupid question, and I likely know the answer. When I’m on WiFi my streaming speed is limited through that connection, not what my ATT plan is?

I recently switched to the new 3mbps unlimited plan. My expectations are met when streaming off cellular data at about 480P. It seems when I’m on my home WiFi connection the quality doesn’t improve, at least on YouTube which is the only service I use on my phone. I’m not being throttled somehow at the hardware level by my streaming plan, correct? That can’t be right.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Anti-Hero posted:

This is a really stupid question, and I likely know the answer. When I’m on WiFi my streaming speed is limited through that connection, not what my ATT plan is?

I recently switched to the new 3mbps unlimited plan. My expectations are met when streaming off cellular data at about 480P. It seems when I’m on my home WiFi connection the quality doesn’t improve, at least on YouTube which is the only service I use on my phone. I’m not being throttled somehow at the hardware level by my streaming plan, correct? That can’t be right.

That would be a very unique development if they are throttling you at the hardware level...

I have no recommendations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work.

quote:

Have you tried changing the video quality through the Youtube app?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It seems my YouTube app was just a safari shortcut, so I didn’t have any quality controls. I’ve since added the actual app and voila. Thanks again.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Three Olives posted:

OK I feel like I am crazy because I was pretty sure this was a thing...

I just added U-Verse TV to my account and since I was already messing with things I decided look at my plan. I'm Unlimited Plus multi-line with a tablet and Apple Watch, I could have sworn there was a cheaper option where I could switch to a Unlimited Plus single line for about $20 cheaper and then add my tablet and watch as add ons instead of seperate lines.

Is that not the case? I may just jettison my tablet and use the hotspot instead of playing like $40 a month for it.

It's supposed to be:

$90 unlimited plus SINGLE LINE
$20 unlimited tablet
$10 unlimited wearable

Change to single line. It's allowed one tablet and one wearable.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Can we ask about AT&T MVNOs here? AT&T believes that I used my entire data plan in three hours last night when my phone was broken (water damage, unresponsive screen), when I was on my home WiFi network, and (apparently) when I was asleep. Chat support was absolutely useless, and seemed to be accusing me of trying to run a scam.

I’ve long felt that I’m paying too much for what’s basically a pipe to get me between WiFi spots, and this CS experience has just been the cherry on this poo poo sundae. I just bought a new used phone, though, so I think I’m locked to AT&T (and maybe T-Mobile?), so I’ll need to stay on their towers.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cricket is the go to att mvno check their plans cricketwireless.com

There is also a prepaid thread that is probably what you're looking for

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 13, 2018

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Thanks on both counts. Would love a scenario where I stop giving AT&T, but that’s probably just cutting off my nose to spite my face. I’ll look for the prepaid thread.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I currently have a Mobile Share Value 15GB w/ Rollover plan with 3 lines and I pay $147 a month total. We use Wi-Fi calling in our home because the service is lovely inside the building, and each line averages about 3GB of data use a month. Sometime in the next year we want to add 2 more lines to this plan (kids) and I was looking at switching to Cricket which would end up costing us $130 all-in for 5 lines.

Then I learned that AT&T has a prepaid service with comparable cost ($150 for 5 lines of 6GB data, but not sure if that is taxes/fees included?) so I might do that instead of Cricket. Any drawbacks to switching from post- to pre-paid with AT&T? Do these plans allow Wi-Fi calling as well? It looks like I would end up saving about $60 or more per month compared to my existing plan once I get 5 lines on it.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WarMECH posted:

I currently have a Mobile Share Value 15GB w/ Rollover plan with 3 lines and I pay $147 a month total. We use Wi-Fi calling in our home because the service is lovely inside the building, and each line averages about 3GB of data use a month. Sometime in the next year we want to add 2 more lines to this plan (kids) and I was looking at switching to Cricket which would end up costing us $130 all-in for 5 lines.

Then I learned that AT&T has a prepaid service with comparable cost ($150 for 5 lines of 6GB data, but not sure if that is taxes/fees included?) so I might do that instead of Cricket. Any drawbacks to switching from post- to pre-paid with AT&T? Do these plans allow Wi-Fi calling as well? It looks like I would end up saving about $60 or more per month compared to my existing plan once I get 5 lines on it.

AT&T prioritizes their network. If a prepaid and postpaid customer both try to post to Facebook at the same time, postpaid will be given priority.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
That's not a problem for us.

Does it have Wi-Fi calling, though? And is it worth the extra ~$40/mo we would pay compared to the Cricket option? Looks like 5 lines on Cricket is $130 total, but the same on AT&T Prepaid would be 5 lines for $150 + taxes/fees...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WarMECH posted:

That's not a problem for us.

Does it have Wi-Fi calling, though? And is it worth the extra ~$40/mo we would pay compared to the Cricket option? Looks like 5 lines on Cricket is $130 total, but the same on AT&T Prepaid would be 5 lines for $150 + taxes/fees...

Looks like they support wifi calling but mostly on iPhones so maybe

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/apps-and-services/wifi-calling/customer/compatible-phones.html

E: att prepaid doesn't support wifi calling https://forums.att.com/t5/Account-Features/WI-FI-Calling-and-PrePaid/td-p/5247540

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 15, 2018

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

What an incredibly weird deal:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11331151-50-or-more-off-s9-s9-at-amp-amp-amp-amp-t-employees-only?v=1

People are saying there's no employee verification for this 50% off Galaxy s9 discount. And someone stacked it with a Unidays educational discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BeAuMaN posted:

What an incredibly weird deal:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11331151-50-or-more-off-s9-s9-at-amp-amp-amp-amp-t-employees-only?v=1

People are saying there's no employee verification for this 50% off Galaxy s9 discount. And someone stacked it with a Unidays educational discount.

Lol yeah, sometimes manufacturers will offer discounts or whatever to reps because if the reps have a Samsung phone, usually more Samsung phones get sold. HTC specifically used to be really big on promos like this.

But that’s amazing if it doesn’t verify employment (usually stuff like that you need to use your work email for or get an invite).