Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Poutine has really exploded in popularity in recent years. Hell, you can even get it at McDonald's now. Some places are better than others for their poutine, but I've never been to Quebec, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

McDonald's been serving poutine in Quebec for a really long time. They simply had to expand it to the rest of the country I guess.

Edit : Also, it sucks and it's bad poutine.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

what is a good distinctive food of Vancouver or BC?

The local sushi places experiment with rolls a lot, but I don't know if they're actually unique.

SpacePope posted:

McDonald's been serving poutine in Quebec for a really long time. They simply had to expand it to the rest of the country I guess.

Edit : Also, it sucks and it's bad poutine.

It ranks higher than some of the terrible food truck poutine i've had

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My high school cafeteria didn't have poutine per se. It had "fries cheese and gravy." That's what it said on the menu.

It had shredded cheddar instead of cheese curds. The cheese would melt into the gravy to form a slurry of weird brown and orange goo. It was trash.

I was more fond of their fries dressing and gravy instead. At least that had more flavors going on than just gooey meaty salt.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Pizza pops are the true Canadian cuisine.

E: and Kraft dinner

Cat Wings fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 28, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cat Wings posted:

Pizza pops are the true Canadian cuisine.

E: and Kraft dinner

Pizza pops were great. Kraft dinner was good, but I've been told it's been one-upped by pc white Mac and cheese. Always gotta out that hot dog in it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm one of those weirdos that preferred Pizza Pockets to Pizza Pops.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mak0rz posted:

I'm one of those weirdos that preferred Pizza Pockets to Pizza Pops.

Pockets tended to have better filling (actual pepperoni) but pops definitely had a more satisfying pastry.

I ate a lot of these as a child.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Great Burrito posted:

It was stagnant and mostly the same for awhile, but the downtown really started bouncing back around 2010. Lots of new businesses with young owners. Some new apartment and office buildings went up. The north end of town past the mall is now the usual Walmart/Home Depo/ Superstore endless retail wasteland instead of wetlands. They built a kickass walkway thru the wetlands from Polson Park to Kal beach. Someone burned down the 100 year old wooden bleachers in Polson one night in 2006 and I was there walking by it when it went down. There’s a whole lot more homeless people living in parks and empty lots and people keep whining about having to see them on Facebook. My fav local restaurant (KT’s) closed after I moved and was a Conservative Party HQ (booo) for awhile but now it’s a record store/venue. So the economy is a whole lot better now than when I left. They filmed the movie Fido there in 2006 (also featuring Armstrong and Kelowna). There’s a lot of developments on the once bare hills above the west side of town. Still pretty nice and I visit with the kids a couple times a year when I can. It’s still in that nice spot where it’s a good size and not super busy like Kelowna during rush hour but it’s close to everything. If Fort Nelson keeps dying the way it is I’m moving back hopefully next year.

Can’t say much about the Vipers as I am a Bad Canadian and don’t watch hockey much outside of Olympics/ Playoffs but I did go to Vipers games occasionally. They’re tearing down the old Civic Arena this year (They built a new MULTIPLEX beside the Kin Horse Track in 2002)

So, busier and bigger I guess?

Cheers, dude! We lived on the north side of OK landing, I see there's a whole bunch of townhouses on the opposite side of the lake, and it looks like the Orchard on Bellavista rd that sold nice produce may have been subdivided up into housing too. The atmosphere in the Civic arena was crazy but it really was a small place, IIRC.

I see they got rid of the Yellow chair up on silver star mountain (probably a good decision), looks like they've opened up some new runs too. Looks like they replaced one of the quads with an even bigger lift? One day if I have kids I'm going to stay there for a month and tell them they aren't allowed on the plane home until they've done 90% of the runs on the mountain. I loved that place.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How much lamer is Canada than the US? I've been to the states a few times and enjoyed it tremendously (so avoiding the problems that come with living there). Canada though seems like, I dunno, the North American version of Belgium or something.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

How much lamer is Canada than the US? I've been to the states a few times and enjoyed it tremendously (so avoiding the problems that come with living there). Canada though seems like, I dunno, the North American version of Belgium or something.

What do you mean by "lame"?

And what's wrong with Belgium?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Replace the ability to be shot by someone with the ability to be mauled by a polar bear.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Canadians have the constitutional right to arm bears

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mobby_6kl posted:

There's more variation within each country than between. Living in a nice "liberal" american city is very much like living in a nice canadian city. You'll see more in a cultural and lifestyle difference between say NYC and Houston than you would between NYC and Toronto. Just as if you move to Canada you'll have an extremely different experience living in Vancouver vs Calgary vs Toronto vs Montreal.

If you're asking more about tourism, yeah I don't know I don't think Canada is very interesting that way. Quebec city and Montreal are worth a visit, Atlantic Canada is pretty unique, coastal BC has some absolutely stunning nature and a ton of outdoor stuff to do. The rest of Canada is pretty "fly over" or "of no interest unless you work in finance or oil". Canada is also extremely expensive to get around in domestically vs domestic US flights.

I've known a few fellow Canadians who have gone on trips to see Quebec and to see atlantic canada and enjoyed them, but domestic tourism isn't a big draw here, not a lot of places worth the effort of visiting. Most time people travel it's "Uhg, I have to visit my family in Winnipeg" or "uhg I need to go to Toronto for this finance conference" or "Uhg the military is forcing me to move to Edmonton". Tourism wise, most of Canada is pretty lame.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

I've known a few fellow Canadians who have gone on trips to see Quebec and to see atlantic canada and enjoyed them, but domestic tourism isn't a big draw here, not a lot of places worth the effort of visiting. Most time people travel it's "Uhg, I have to visit my family in Winnipeg" or "uhg I need to go to Toronto for this finance conference" or "Uhg the military is forcing me to move to Edmonton". Tourism wise, most of Canada is pretty lame.

It's really not, we just don't appreciate what we have and also we tend to save our tourism/discretionary money to get the gently caress out of our country in winter. People come from overseas just to see Banff and Jasper and poo poo like that, I wouldn't call it "lame."

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't even realize there was a Highway 40 south of the Trans-Canada. I always thought it just terminated at Cochrane. I used to take it from there all the time when I was doing field work.

Oh wait it continues south 30km west of where it meets Cochrane for some reason. Why the hell is it considered the same highway? :psyduck:

I actually drove that Highway pretty much from Waterton to Grand Prairie this summer, amazing views

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PT6A posted:

our tourism/discretionary money

People stopped having that 20 years ago.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People stopped having that 20 years ago.

The "woe is me, I'm a broke Canadian; full communism now!" thread is in D&D, friend.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Depends on what you like to do for fun.

If you're a club type person, Big cities are where its at. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver etc.

If you're the outdoorsy type....... Well, it depends on what sort of outdoorsy poo poo you like.

Skiing/Mountains? BC and Alberta, Quebec has a bunch of mountains too and some good skiing.

Big water, but not ocean fishing? Ontario***** is where its at. Great Lakes. Growing up between two of them myself, when I heard some outsider say "yeah we've got some big lakes where I come from", I think, "yeah sure pal".

Rock climbing? The Niagara Escarpment has some pretty technical poo poo. And a poo poo load more out west in BC and Alberta.

Small water fishing? Canoeing, Kayaking? Ontario has 250,000 lakes.

You want good sea food, small towny type vibes? East coast.

Saskatchewan is flat as gently caress, as are parts of Manitoba, and Alberta, but head north for world class freshwater fishing.

Culture and History? Probably Quebec.

Northern Lights, cold as fuckness and a lot of booze? Head to the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon. I once read that the Yukon had the highest consumption of alcohol per capita in Canada.

Wine tours? The Niagara Peninsula has some pretty dope wineries an' poo poo. BC has some nice ones too.

***** Disclosure, I'm from Ontario and have never been further west (in Canada) than Winnipeg.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Currently in the process of emigrating to Canada from the UK - have got past the "do you have enough points" stage and onto the "get all your poo poo together and send it to us" stage, so all going well by the end of April we will have permanent residency on the Express Entry program, which means myself and my wife can move there with no prerequisite of getting a job first or having to stay in a particular job/industry etc. once we get there.

We haven't absolutely decided 100% that we're moving, but all going well, if we can find work etc. then it's likely we will. I'm probably going to have lots more questions for this thread but as a starter:

Where's a good place to live? Our criteria are:

Nowhere too tiny or out of the way. At the moment we live in a town of 200k people which has basically all of the amenities we'd need (large shopping centre, cinemas, bowling, restaurants), and London is about an hour's travel away if we want to go see big concerts and stuff. I'd probably be fine living in a town with like 10k+ pop if it has the amenities, but ideally there'd be somewhere big-ish within like an hour or 3 - close enough that it's not too crazy if we want to go somewhere bigger for the weekend or just generally clothes shopping or something like that which we do rarely. Alternatively living actually in a large/largeish city or on the outskirts of one would probably be fine so long as we could find somewhere nice enough and relatively affordable for housing. Also ideally there'd be an international airport within like 2-3 hours, and it'd be great if there were somewhere big international bands played at nearish - I'm guessing this limits us to near Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal? That one isn't an absolute must but it'd be nice. Looking randomly at the map maybe somewhere like Chilliwack would fit the bill but I have no idea what it's like living there, it's just that it's near to Vancouver, likely big enough to have the facilities I'd like and maybe it's far enough from Van itself that housing isn't nuts? Totally guessing and probably wrong though which is why I'm asking this.

If there's skiing near (couple of hours drive?), then it'd be a bonus.

Nowhere French speaking would be an absolute requirement.

Nightlife not much of a requirement. We don't really go out to clubs or bars and stuff but restaurants, cinemas, (indoor) climbing centres and things like that are a plus. Not really into watching sports so sports teams etc. not a requirement.

Somewhere there's work for a civil/environmental engineer / sustainable building consultant (my wife) and where I could also find a job - I currently work in woodworking doing design and systems stuff, but I could move into something building industry related or I'm thinking about just retraining entirely e.g. as a programmer.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Edmonton's not the coolest city, but it does have a river valley running right through it with loads of trails. The river valley is the longest stretch of connected urban parkland in North America and is 20 times larger than Central Park. Because it runs through the middle, you can easily go on a two hour hike through forested areas and come out a few blocks away from a pub.

When I lived at my old apartment, we would often go on a hike to downtown through the river valley, have a few drinks and food at a pub, then head back home on the train.

In the river valley park system, there are 11 lakes, 14 ravines, and 22 major parks. After the development of a new bridge, we also now have an unintended beach.

There's lots of wildlife in the river valley, and you'll see the occasional warnings about bears or cougars spotted in certain areas. I've since moved further from downtown, but there are lot's of rabbits near my house and I just saw a coyote in the middle of my street the other night. It was a pretty big coyote too.

I have honestly seen far more wild animals since living in Edmonton than I did while growing up in a small, rural town.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Spadoink posted:

I work in immigration law (currently on maternity leave so I can't give any advice) and am able to provide anyone who needs it with the name/names of good firms who can do complimentary consultations on Canadian immigration matters. In about 7 mos I will also be able to answer questions again :v:

I'm guessing, from my experience/research, that Brazolot migration group is not one you'd recommend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's your price range for housing?

Just asking, since if your considering Vancouver or it's outskirts, you'll have to pay house prices for a small condo, and mansion prices for a mediocre house.

Even if you go out to Chilliwack, starter house prices are still going to be 300k+.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Well in the UK we were looking at something like £350k for our next house. Where we live now that would get us something like a 4 bed semi-detached house with a garage (built into the house rather than a separate building), with a very small garden and only 1200sqft area.

Chilliwack was a total guess and just an example for proximity to Vancouver. Van and outskirts are under consideration but so are other places like Toronto.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 7, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

WhatEvil posted:

Where's a good place to live? Our criteria are:

I've lived in Ottawa most of my life and it sounds like you've described home, or at least one of its suburbs, to me.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 7, 2018

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

Well in the UK we were looking at something like £350k for our next house. Where we live now that would get us something like a 4 bed semi-detached house with a garage (built into the house rather than a separate building), with a very small garden and only 1200sqft area.

Chilliwack was a total guess and just an example for proximity to Vancouver. Van and outskirts are under consideration but so are other places like Toronto.

The average price of a fully detached home in Toronto is over a million dollars, it's pretty nuts.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

WhatEvil posted:

Chilliwack is about limit though you'd want to live if you want relatively sane travel times into Vancouver.

Commute times in the lower mainland are really insane. You could be in Vancouver proper, and still be an hour away from another spot also within Vancouver. There are certain times of the day in certain areas where I just won't even bother going out, because a 5 minute trip has become an hour long trip due to rush hour traffic. Traffic only truly abates from about 10pm to 6am, anytime else is pretty jam packed, with rush hour only getting worse.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

WhatEvil posted:

Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal? That one isn't an absolute must but it'd be nice. Looking randomly at the map maybe somewhere like Chilliwack would fit the bill but I have no idea what it's like living there, it's just that it's near to Vancouver, likely big enough to have the facilities I'd like and maybe it's far enough from Van itself that housing isn't nuts? Totally guessing and probably wrong though which is why I'm asking this.

If there's skiing near (couple of hours drive?), then it'd be a bonus.

Nowhere French speaking would be an absolute requirement.

Nightlife not much of a requirement. We don't really go out to clubs or bars and stuff but restaurants, cinemas, (indoor) climbing centres and things like that are a plus. Not really into watching sports so sports teams etc. not a requirement.

Somewhere there's work for a civil/environmental engineer / sustainable building consultant (my wife) and where I could also find a job - I currently work in woodworking doing design and systems stuff, but I could move into something building industry related or I'm thinking about just retraining entirely e.g. as a programmer.

-I'd avoid greater Vancouver area at all costs, very low paying jobs, one of the world's worst housing bubbles, and brutal traffic combined with very poor transit outside of the core. Coming from the UK you probably want to live somewhere with some sort of actual neighbourhoods and community you can walk around in and not be stuck in a car in gridlocked traffic any time you needed anything I assume? Chilliwack is not a pleasant place to live and you'll be looking at 600-700k+ for houses that aren't trailer homes (there's a lot of trailer homes in Chilliwack). Driving into Vancouver from Chilliwack would be about 2h in typical traffic. Doable for events and things but not really for work.

-Montreal is really great, reasonable housing costs, great transit, an actual economy, culture, a whole spectrum of neighbourhoods from urban to suburban and many served by a decent metro and bus system, but the whole french thing so that's probably not an option. You can get by in Montreal without french depending on your job and where you live but you'd want to jump on learning it asap.

-Toronto is just about as expensive as Vancouver but has actual jobs, but I've found it a miserably depressing city with a crumbling under-funded transit system and horrible politics that keep making the city worse. Imagine the gray dirty urban feel of NYC but without most of the interesting parts and surrounded by a sea of depressing suburbia where you still need to pay a million for a lovely townhouse.

-Ottawa is a decent mid-sized city, I've never been but people seem to love or hate it when they move there. People generally move there if they work for the federal government although there's obviously private employment there as well. It's still, like most of Canada right now, expensive.

-Winnipeg is an often derided Canadian city, race problems, poverty, severe weather, but there's jobs and cheap housing and it has quite a good cultural scene.

-Calgary and it's smaller brother Edmonton have economies entirely linked with the oil sector, which is in the trash right now with no sign of recovery. It's also canada's cultural and political wasteland, although the people in edmonton seem lot less aggressively awful than Calgary and seem to have smaller chips on their shoulder too.

-Victoria is another mid-sized option. About 380k people, quite a walkable and historic city (that used to market itself on its englishness) that isn't just a grid of office towers surrounded by big-box and suburbia. It also has better income levels than Vancouver but a nearly equally hosed up housing bubble. There's some great indoor climbing centres here at least, some real affordable ones as well. It's very much not a sports or nightlife town but has a decent to good cultural scene. It's where I live so obviously know the most about. A few of my friends work for big engineering companies, Stantec is a big one, they do a lot of environmental engineering stuff. I also know a few people in the whole fancy/robot woodworking industry, Victoria has a fantastic makerspace with a CNC setup which can be a great place for networking.

BC is a total write off if you want to own a home, as is Toronto, hell all of Canada is kinda hosed on housing right now. And even if you could afford it, now is really not the time to buy.
Montreal has the french issue.
Atlantic Canada has very poor job prospects but cheap housing.
Winnipeg has jobs and housing but is Winnipeg.
I personally despise most everything about Alberta so can't give any unbiased advice.

If it wasn't so drat expensive I'd really say to visit a bunch of your prospective cities and see if you like the vibe.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Baronjutter posted:

If it wasn't so drat expensive I'd really say to visit a bunch of your prospective cities and see if you like the vibe.

This is good advice for Canadians generally, and more of us should do it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If you can find a job, move to Halifax and area. No skiing, but everything else is in order and a loving mansion in Dartmouth is like 400k.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

flakeloaf posted:

This is good advice for Canadians generally, and more of us should do it.

I really want to go to Montreal and Quebec City soon, but it ends up only being a bit cheaper than a trip to europe and with that you can visit family and stuff too. That's always been the problem with in-country tourism, going somewhere more interesting is often just a bit more expensive (or even cheaper depending on the season). A flight to Montreal is 6 hours while to europe is 9 hours, with about the same difference in price. Canada too big.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Canada is so big we seldom bother to go see one another.

A quick tourist guide:

I hate Newfoundland because they talk so weird
Prince Edward Island is too small
Nova Scotia's dumb because it's the name of a bank
New Brunswick doesn't have a good mall
Quebec is revolting and it makes me mad
Ontario sucks
Manitoba's population density is 2 people per square kilometre, and that's stupid
Saskatchewan is boring and the people are old
The territories are too cold
The only good thing about B.C. is that it's next to Alberta.
Alberta doesn't suck (but Calgary does)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: alberta is full of people who actually think evolution is a myth and you’re constantly assaulted by pro-life posters on the highways. Also, speed cameras. And most of it just hideous flat space or lovely swamp woods. Like 1/8 of the province is quite nice and at that point you’re basically just in BC.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I appreciate a good three dead trolls reference.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tuyop posted:

Counterpoint: alberta is full of people who actually think evolution is a myth and you’re constantly assaulted by pro-life posters on the highways. Also, speed cameras. And most of it just hideous flat space or lovely swamp woods. Like 1/8 of the province is quite nice and at that point you’re basically just in BC.

Where the gently caress were you driving that you saw a pro-life billboard? I've lived here most of my life and I've never seen one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Had To Sell My Third Jetski
And Still No Oil Money?
How Come, Ralph Klein?

Burma-Shave

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Where the gently caress were you driving that you saw a pro-life billboard? I've lived here most of my life and I've never seen one.

They’re in the LRT stations in Edmonton, around campus at U of A, if you drive in literally any direction out of Edmonton but South you’ll see four or five within a couple of hours. They’re everywhere. I think Albertans just learn to not see them or something, but they’re very shocking to me every time.

Like at least when you drive in the states you have fireworks emporiums and strip clubs competing with the crazy religious ads that you see every 20 minutes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

About a year ago I remember seeing a chemtrail truther ad on one of those gigantic billboards northwest of Calgary heading towards the mountains.

E: I don't think I've ever seen a pro-life billboard. Those shitheads like to terrorize the U Calgary campus once or twice a year though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 8, 2018

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Disappointed that other Newfoundlander goons didn't mention Ernie's. Or E&E's Drive-in if you're a townie. Hands down the best fried chicken I've ever had. Mary browns is poo poo in a bucket in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Disappointed that other Newfoundlander goons didn't mention Ernie's. Or E&E's Drive-in if you're a townie. Hands down the best fried chicken I've ever had. Mary browns is poo poo in a bucket in comparison.

Far as I can tell I'm the only one in this thread actually from the island and my hometown is a good seven hours away from Cupids. I've never even heard of that place until now, but I've never exactly spent a lot of time around the Avalon except to visit my sister in town.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 8, 2018

• Locked thread