Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2018 sa comedy: fresh, taut sophisticated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Goddamn this is brilliant.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

2018 sa comedy: fresh, taut sophisticated

and ripe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

and moist

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Auspol Crew weighs in on The Shape of Water:

quite stretched out posted:

why i stuck a snapper up my clacker

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I thought Shape of Water had like a water elemental or some sort of spirit in it, but it is literally a fish man. WTF

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s also apparently just ripped off from... everything. That win will not age well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

doverhog posted:

I thought Shape of Water had like a water elemental or some sort of spirit in it, but it is literally a fish man. WTF

Del Toro calls the creature a river god, which could look like a fish man.

Aphrodite posted:

It’s also apparently just ripped off from... everything. That win will not age well.

The movies it is inspired by are more or less classics by now.

Also you won't be saying that when furries are mainstream in the future.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 10:19 on Mar 5, 2018

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey

You let Grinding Nemo have his Oscar win dammit. Give him at least a day before you start trying to tear down his joy :colbert:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

The MSJ posted:

Del Toro calls the creature a river god

oh gently caress, is tom bombadil loving that dudes daughter?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gatekeeper posted:

oh gently caress, is tom bombadil loving that dudes daughter?

More like Tom Dong-a-dilz

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently? Are you making proclamations about movies you haven't seen?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought it was the fish dude from Hellboy. Nothing will change my mind, to be honest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Same actor even. He's just a real sexy fishman

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The whole plot is also loosely based on the same real-life thing as the game Ecco the Dolphin, when US military experimented on dolphins, and a lady researcher had to jack off one so it would pay attention to tests or whatever.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

After that lady was transferred away the dolphin got depressed and committed suicide.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Pirate Radar posted:

More like Tom Dong-a-dilz

of all the loving jokes to make my coffee come out my nose it is this the most simple

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Paladinus posted:

I thought it was the fish dude from Hellboy. Nothing will change my mind, to be honest.

Honestly when I saw the first trailer I was thinking "Wait how is Abe getting a solo movie and I didn't know?" It really could have been an Abe solo film.

Probably wouldn't have won any awards that way though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They set out to make the Oscars this year about diversity and inclusion and I'm glad they actually kind of did it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Given how important Abe is to the BPRD setting and how his own ultimate destiny intertwines with Hellboy's, Abe could very easily carry a solo movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

They set out to make the Oscars this year about diversity and inclusion and I'm glad they actually kind of did it.

Hey, knock it off with the movie spoilers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Speaking of spoilers, was the new Blade Runner actually worth seeing?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Speaking of spoilers, was the new Blade Runner actually worth seeing?

Holy poo poo was it ever. No kidding, it was really really good

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drat it. Only one of my friends went to see it and he said I shouldn't bother. But then he wouldn't shut up about how good The Last Jedi was so I knew he just has bad taste in stuff. drat it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was super super good.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I might get attacked for this but I think it might be better than the original. It shares a lot with the original in having a slow, plodding pace that helps immerse you in the world but tells its narrative in a more compelling way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The most legit criticism about BR 2049 is that it’s too lomg at almost 3 hours, as Ridley Scott himself said. However, it is a beautiful movie and Roger Deakins deserve his win. Just be aware that some characters are important to the story and some are not, and it’s not always who you expect. This is one of the best things about it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Shape of Water’s main characters are a mute woman, a black woman, a gay man, and a fish man and is set in the 1950s where nothing is easy for any of them.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Mar 5, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

drat it. Only one of my friends went to see it and he said I shouldn't bother. But then he wouldn't shut up about how good The Last Jedi was so I knew he just has bad taste in stuff. drat it.

Last Jedi and Blade Runner were both really good actually

Serf
May 5, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I might get attacked for this but I think it might be better than the original. It shares a lot with the original in having a slow, plodding pace that helps immerse you in the world but tells its narrative in a more compelling way.

this is my brother's opinion too. i still like the original better, but 2049 was way better than it had any right to be. it was basically a movie that no one asked for but managed to be really loving good despite being unwanted

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fuckin' A.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I didn't like Last Jedi. I thought it was too plodding and half of the story didn't make any sense. It could have just been Rey training and Ren brooding and would have been a lot better.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If you dislike plodding pace and nonsense story I'd probably avoid blade runner too tbh

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Blade Runner 2 was alright but Deckard should have been dead & gone. Harrison Ford was bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

La Brea Carpet posted:

[24/m] My girlfriend of 6months [23/f] is terrified of fat people, I didn't know this, She had a panic attack meeting my parents yesterday.

We were supposed to have dinner with them last night. She ended up having a panic attack really soon after seeing them. I didn't know what was wrong cus I've never seen someone have a panic attack, I thought she was choking or s/t.

She begged me to leave and I took her home to her place. Thinking she was sick.

Krazyface posted:

yo momma so fat that I can't breathe, please, I need to get out of this place, this isn't a joke.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's cool. There's a whole thing where a replicant has a holographic AI girlfriend that's mass marketed to lonely human men. But then the AI gf is actually sentient and more human than a replicant, or is she? It really asks the question of what is real, what does being human mean.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

I agree with your friend. It’s not good. The entire movie is filmed seemingly without a loving light anywhere on the set, and Jared Leto plays this dumb, Hollywood psychopath white male Japanese Fetishist. The dialog is awful. The women are hot. The main plot contains a bit of misdirection that I appreciated, because I felt like they didn’t go for the obvious conclusion.

My opinion on this is outnumbered probably 4:1 by people who thought the movie ruled. I thought it sucked. I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn’t.

I haven’t seen the Jedi movie, so I can’t give you any more data points regarding how my preferences align with this friend of yours.

Edit: Maybe it was more of a kurta than a kimono. I don’t quite remember.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It is slow and plodding, and very concerned with style and cinematography. If that isn't your thing, or if the idea of asking questions about what does it mean for an artificial human to have an AI girlfriend just sounds dumb, then it is not the movie for you.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s a really pretty, excellently scored movie regardless of what you think about the plot and characters, but it is, also, very long. I have a few criticisms—Jared Leto never really clicked for me as a villain and the plot doesn’t hold up all the way through—but it’s still a great movie.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think so too, but I've never been as big a fan as the original as most people are so my bar was a bit low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet, but I will say that my opinion on The Last Jedi is that there is an amazing movie there, buried within one that is simply Good. There's a LOT of chaff, indeed I think pretty much the entire non-Rey second act is superfluous other than making an agonisingly poor thematic point, but when it hits it hits loving hard.