Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlHigbie/status/969292579924791296?s=19

My kid got an A in Punching and Handshakes class.

He’s right about hand shakes. I get that, “Ha ha, you about crushed my hand,” poo poo all the time from men who have given me one of those limp-fish dangle-shakes. I hate that. Give some sort of minimum squeeze, at least. Straighten your drat wrist. It’s not a complex ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mak0rz posted:

Guaranteed he hasn't done everything on this list. Likely he has done none of it, or like his dad made him do one of these and he never forgave him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
People who try and crush your knuckles into dust in a handshake suck too.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Handshakes are garbage. I don't need to check if you're concealing a knife up your sleeves; they ceased to serve that function centuries ago. It's usually some sort of ritual that is supposed to establish respect, but ends up trying to establish dominance.

A fist bump, if some sort of touching is required, serves the same purpose, is more sanitary, less associated with white patriarchy, and harder to be a dick about (it also has the added bonus of making old racist folks uncomfortable).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I always lick my hand as soon as I meet someone so they don't want to shake it. If they do shake it I know they're ready.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If someone got upset at me for not calling them sir and it wasn’t part of my job I would just laugh at them

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

He’s right about hand shakes. I get that, “Ha ha, you about crushed my hand,” poo poo all the time from men who have given me one of those limp-fish dangle-shakes. I hate that. Give some sort of minimum squeeze, at least. Straighten your drat wrist. It’s not a complex ritual.
So do you try to crush old folks' hands to show your manly dominance over them too, or only men of about your age?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The worst handshakes seem fine at first, then the other hand goes straight for your crotch. Totally blew the moment.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If your knuckles ain't grinding, it's not a handshake.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All my joints bend backward painfully so when I shake hands with those dudes who like to crush hands I regret ever leaving my house. I'm pretty sure all the bones inside my hands actually touch each other, my hand just collapses and deflates in their grip.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mak0rz posted:

The teacher gave my grandson a D in Handshakes, so he layed him out flat with a bone jarring haymaker. The Punching teacher was passing by in the hallway and was so impressed that he bumped his final grade up to an A from a B-, and it was enough to save his GPA. He starts at the local community college next fall.

I'm proud of you, Bobby. Love, Pappy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mak0rz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmoze-hlXU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Touching strangers is disgusting because people are gross.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Minimum Squeeze is a great band name.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Better make sure those gross germs really get squeezed in there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Like dude if you want things to be like southern rural culture, move to the rural south. It ain't hard.

ETA: Like who the gently caress in most places needs to swing a goddamn axe, you Greenwich, Connecticut livin idiot? WHEN WOULD ANYONE NEED TO SWING AN AXE UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Marathanes posted:

Handshakes are garbage. I don't need to check if you're concealing a knife up your sleeves; they ceased to serve that function centuries ago. It's usually some sort of ritual that is supposed to establish respect, but ends up trying to establish dominance.

A fist bump, if some sort of touching is required, serves the same purpose, is more sanitary, less associated with white patriarchy, and harder to be a dick about (it also has the added bonus of making old racist folks uncomfortable).

Yeah dude when I think "handshakes" my brain totally jumps straight to white patriarchy lol are you serious?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What makes a handshake have anything to do with white patriarchy? Is it the movement itself or the part where you sneer at the other person and tell them what a well-heeled example of their kind they are?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Puppy Time posted:

WHEN WOULD ANYONE NEED TO SWING AN AXE UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES?

when Carl Higbie lays his postin' hand down on the table, swing away

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I grew up riding ATVs through the swamp and blowing things up with army surplus munitions from the base my dad was stationed on, if you didn't your upbringing was worthless"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Puppy Time posted:

WHEN WOULD ANYONE NEED TO SWING AN AXE UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES?

When we haven't brought back the guillotine yet.

I'm actually kinda curious, do women play power games with handshakes between each other or is it a toxic masculinity thing?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah dude when I think "handshakes" my brain totally jumps straight to white patriarchy lol are you serious?

Insofar as one is serious on a dead gay comedy forum, yes.

In the context of the current commentary on a tweet discussing handshakes, holding doors for women, shooting guns, addressing elders as sir/ma'am, swinging axes, punching folks, or changing tires, by Carl Higby, a 'flag loving, meat eating, gun owning #American. Proud @realdonaldtrump supporter #NavySEAL, #Veteran, #Author. Tweets/Views are my own #MAGA," I don't feel like it's the hugest, most unreasonable leap.

Then again, I might just be the IOSM right here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Marathanes posted:

Insofar as one is serious on a dead gay comedy forum, yes.

In the context of the current commentary on a tweet discussing handshakes, holding doors for women, shooting guns, addressing elders as sir/ma'am, swinging axes, punching folks, or changing tires, by Carl Higby, a 'flag loving, meat eating, gun owning #American. Proud @realdonaldtrump supporter #NavySEAL, #Veteran, #Author. Tweets/Views are my own #MAGA," I don't feel like it's the hugest, most unreasonable leap.

Then again, I might just be the IOSM right here.

Occam's Razor.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Proteus Jones posted:

Occam's Razor.

Men also can't use a proper straight razor anymore!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I can, it's fun.

So is bleeding, so that's a win win.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Puppy Time posted:

Like dude if you want things to be like southern rural culture, move to the rural south. It ain't hard.

ETA: Like who the gently caress in most places needs to swing a goddamn axe, you Greenwich, Connecticut livin idiot? WHEN WOULD ANYONE NEED TO SWING AN AXE UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES?

Ask goons if they can pump their own gas or know how to drive if there is snow.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm actually kinda curious, do women play power games with handshakes between each other or is it a toxic masculinity thing?

It's a toxic masculinity thing. Women will give waves and bitchy glares while men just swing axes all over the place competing to see who will keep the door open for the women.

Growing up in rural Canada, it's kinda scary how many people I know think like this. When you move away, you are the lib-tard that they are try to offend on Facebook with macro images and "edgelord" rants.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

mng posted:

Men also can't use a proper straight razor anymore!

Maybe if we had some proper straight men :argh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What makes a handshake have anything to do with white patriarchy? Is it the movement itself or the part where you sneer at the other person and tell them what a well-heeled example of their kind they are?
Its the part where people who obsess about it also happen to be the people who obsess about manliness and (sometimes) the purity of their society. Causally linked? No, not in a way I can figure out, but it sure correlates. And its always a complaint about getting a "weak" handshake from another man, and is a ritual that seems to only apply when meeting other men. Whether or not its immediately important, it could exclude women because they're simply not even included in the ritual. Its definitely not as significant as, say, conducting business on the golf course or at strip clubs or whatever, but it might be a factor.

Basically, if its an important facet of society, why is it only a male-male interaction and how does that have knock-on effects throughout society? If it isn't important enough to apply to everyone, then why apply it at all?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Firm but not trying to crush your hand or anything handshakes for every man, woman and child.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Men try to overpower each other with handshakes, women just swing axes at each other

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ravenfood posted:

So do you try to crush old folks' hands to show your manly dominance over them too, or only men of about your age?

Sarcopenia posted:

Better make sure those gross germs really get squeezed in there.

i 100% promise a normal strength handshake is actually not a big deal and wont hurt your hand or make it fall of due to sick germ infections

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Volcott posted:

Firm but not trying to crush your hand or anything handshakes for every man, woman and child.

This, though some times peoples hands are smaller then I first realized and I have to dial the squeeze back.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Firm handshakes imply confidence and trust. When someone gets a 'weak' handshake, it can get interpreted as reluctance, hesitation, or mistrust of the other person.

It is somewhat similar to firm hugs. People hug firmly when they are happy and comfortable with the other person. They'll hug lightly when they feel obligated to hug or don't particularly care much for the person.

But realistically the people who bitch about weak handshakes and not getting called 'sir' obviously have a bit of authoritarian streak to them. If they think they are #1, they are going to demand the social rituals that reinforce their station. When people stop doing them, it makes them feel less important so they get butthurt about it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Mate have you ever been to france or heard of la bis? There's some strangely intense greetings rituals for you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Growing up in rural Canada, it's kinda scary how many people I know think like this. When you move away, you are the lib-tard that they are try to offend on Facebook with macro images and "edgelord" rants.

It's somehow more depressing to me when those same people who leave to go to school often come back home and rather than impart their experiences in the larger world, they just regress back into the hateful shells they were raised in. I've seen more than a few of my friends return home after graduating and with the exception of maybe two of them I can't say any are better off.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I can do all of those things and I'm an old lady, so gently caress you, Gramps. I mean, gently caress you, sir.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Proteus Jones posted:

Occam's Razor.

Occam's Razor says that dude is racist AF and associated those things in his tweet with things good, Christian, white men do.

However, some of you people need to have greater faith in your immune system and get over icky stranger germs because I guarantee you got some hella nasty poo poo on you at all times so you don't have any room to talk.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 5, 2018

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The handshake is connected to white patriarchy for a couple reasons. It came from white European culture originally, though it has lost that context somewhat to time. Now, though, it is seen as the defacto by the political majority in America, which is white and male. Any other greeting, especially those coded as "black", is seen as less than, juvenile, and "ethnic". The firm handshake, by contrast, is seen as almost a gate keeping mechanism for straight, white masculinity. Look at the first post using limp-wristedness, which is coded language for homosexual, as an example of the bad handshake that will get you singled out as not fitting in with the majority culture. It probably was not intended that way, but that is the connotation the language has and will continue to have for a long while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

GrandpaPants posted:

Honestly I can count the amount of times I’ve actually shook someone’s hand on one... well, hand :shrug: