Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dude for the Hockey Tracker app added a discounted yearly subscription option for $20 instead of only being able to pay $3/month. I may give it a shot. $20 ain't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll tell you you're out of shape and bad at hockey for $5 a year, great deal.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I don't need an app to tell me that! I know it in my heart. :(

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I stepped up on a D man taking a shot. I was 5 feet away and he managed to hit me in the bicep so thats feeling real good today. Also, how hard is it for people to keep their slapshots down.

My fellow center also got high sticked in the face which caused a pretty bad nose bleed. He was bitching to the ref (who called a high stick penalty) but wanted a double minor. The ref says "wear a cage". I chuckled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goalie didn't show up for an opponent's game a couple weeks ago, the guy they stuck in net had a half shield on.

Ref came to our bench and begged us to keep shots on the ice.

(he apparently forgot that we're loving trash at literally every facet of hockey)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Verman posted:

I stepped up on a D man taking a shot. I was 5 feet away and he managed to hit me in the bicep so thats feeling real good today. Also, how hard is it for people to keep their slapshots down.

My fellow center also got high sticked in the face which caused a pretty bad nose bleed. He was bitching to the ref (who called a high stick penalty) but wanted a double minor. The ref says "wear a cage". I chuckled.

5 feet away and the puck rising 4+ feet is not a "whoa hey keep it down bud" sort of slap shot, that's a "watch out for the falling glass from the lights" slap shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe he just has really loving good knee bend. There's gotta be at least one beer leaguer out there doing it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Pleads posted:

5 feet away and the puck rising 4+ feet is not a "whoa hey keep it down bud" sort of slap shot, that's a "watch out for the falling glass from the lights" slap shot.

Definitely. I stepped up to it and just tried getting as close to him as possible to ensure the shot hit me low in the body. From 5 feet away, its rare that you get clapped in the neck/head/shoulder.

xzzy posted:

Maybe he just has really loving good knee bend. There's gotta be at least one beer leaguer out there doing it.

My guess is that he's a scrubby div 5 player who can't control his slapshot. Any knee bend is a result of falling over due to lack of coordination/balance.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Goalie didn't show up for an opponent's game a couple weeks ago, the guy they stuck in net had a half shield on.

(he apparently forgot that we're loving trash at literally every facet of hockey)

I should just start showing up on sunday nights with my goal gear.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

That is one of the crazier beer league things I have seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I've seen super inconsistent decisions made when a goalie doesn't show up. Once I saw a game where they were only allowed five skaters still, another where they could have a sixth skater but he couldn't camp in the crease as if he was a goalie, then this most recent one where they picked a skater and plopped him in net.

This league is ASHL and run under USAH rules so I'm sure they have a rule for these situations, but gently caress if I know what it is.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
No goalie is a forfeit here and the refs won’t work it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Our officials tell us to let it loving rip in this case. He’s a goalie and finds it disrespectful to not put a real goalie out there (and he’s right)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is that why you keep the pitching wedge around? To hammer high hard ones at under-dressed sub goaltenders?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Is that why you keep the pitching wedge around? To hammer high hard ones at under-dressed sub goaltenders?

Nah, it's to fire slap shots at people five feet away.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
We only had one goalie for pick up last night. We went 5 on 5 with a sheet of plywood or HDPE or something with the normal cutouts in the other net and switched direction every 20 minutes or so. It was only marginally worse than the previous week when one goalie refused to even crouch for anything other than a breakaway or odd man rush. The rest of the time it was like a 1940s stand up all leg pads and stick net minder.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

Nah, it's to fire slap shots at people five feet away.

Cmon dog, I don’t take slappers

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The zam driver sheered the doors off the dashers and forced a cancellation of a game. Cool.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Got the flu just in time to trim down before rd 2 of playoffs this Sunday. Woo-hoo!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've had a deep cough for about the last month. I've also had some of my best play while I've been sick so who loving knows.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vital Signs posted:

Got the flu just in time to trim down before rd 2 of playoffs this Sunday. Woo-hoo!

Also got the flu on Monday. Still don't feel like I have enough energy for basic functions so I had to skip hockey this week.

And it loving sucks to have to wait for next Wednesday for hockey again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh man, so pumped.

Can't wait for 2020/21 Seattle (please don't be salmon) season to roll around.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You made it to the NHL?

gently caress if I knew all you had to do was register on a website I would have done it years ago.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I mean technically we're all undrafted UFAs.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Vargatron posted:

I mean technically we're all undrafted UFAs.

I never thought of it this way... I have a new outlook on life!

This is going to be a great day and I'm gonna show those scouts how awesome I am! (at my retail IT gig, but still!)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BOGO @ Chipotle if you wear a hockey jersey today.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11303791-chipotle-bogo-on-march-2nd-if-you-wear-a-hockey-jersey

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Glad I brought my blackhawks jersey to work today (flying down to LA tonight to watch them get beat by the kings and ducks this weekend). At least I can get free tacos out of it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nitramster posted:

I never thought of it this way... I have a new outlook on life!

This is going to be a great day and I'm gonna show those scouts how awesome I am! (at my retail IT gig, but still!)

Scouts are gonna be clamoring to sign me, a music school grad who started learning how to skate at age 34. :cool:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Pavel Datsyuk went undrafted in 96 and 97. Then he went 172nd overall (Sixth round) in 98.

There's still hope.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Our 3v3 League Playoff session was last week. I managed this in OT of the final game in the championship series.

I edited the full series and actually zoomed for our offensive zone if you feel like checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7GqejXqNI

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

titanium posted:

Our 3v3 League Playoff session was last week. I managed this in OT of the final game in the championship series.

I edited the full series and actually zoomed for our offensive zone if you feel like checking it out.

Nice saves. Kinda surprised at the lack of creativity out there for 3v3 though. That Orange team spent 90% of that video just skating straight down at you and trying to snipe. I don't know why they never tried passing it as it was quite clear after attempt #556 they weren't gonna beat you clean with a shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see that a fair amount in the 3v3 small ice I've done, dudebros get tired and start flinging pucks because it means they don't have to skate.

The teams that win sneak a guy backdoor because the goalie's probably taken 10 billion shots and doesn't have the gas to get to the other side of the net.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

titanium posted:

I can hear the guy say "are you loving kidding me"

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
tbh I think the scouting report this season was that I had a tendency to sit pretty far back in the net and get gassed when forced to shuffle around the zone for long periods of time. We had JUST finished a 3 game series that went to OT for a while before this series so I think they wanted to see how much they could wear me out and take shots when I'm out of position. I drafted big defensemen too, one won the NCAA title at UMD in 2011 so they were generally good at keeping poo poo outside.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Glad I brought my blackhawks jersey to work today (flying down to LA tonight to watch them get beat by the kings and ducks this weekend). At least I can get free tacos out of it.

And you didn’t bring gear. Shameful.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Based on the stick length discussion I decided to use a stick someone had given me that is about an inch and a half shorter than my usual one, and my puck control I think was definitely a lot better. It was just easier to get the puck where I wanted it to go.

Problem was it was really heavy and so shooting with it is like using a 2x4. I think I just need to finally get a new stick that's not the cheapest I can find.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
We lost 4-3 in the semi finals for the 3rd year in a row. Every single time we lose by one goal in this game as well. I think my biggest complaint with beer league hockey are refs that cannot read dives. The guys we played last night were gunning for calls, so much so that if someone on our team had the puck they would try to make contact and sell a fall. We got called for two "checking penalties" from plays like this. How in the gently caress can you check someone when you're carrying the puck and they put themselves in your lane? Another favorite of mine is the sell, lay on the ice for 30 seconds or more, and then miraculously you are well enough to not need to go to the bench. I'm salty as gently caress obviously.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They left the February pickup schedule up (which has the same dates as March) and I was very bewildered when a C League game was going on during the 6:30PM pickup I thought was happened. Sadly nobody needed a goalie sub. Well there's 1.5 hours I wasted on the road, but honestly I needed to get away from Monster Hunter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hell yeah video games instead of hockey.

I was a blob all weekend playing sperg simulator: factorio.

(because my game is tonight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ugh, I'm trying to reverse the trend of doing video games instead of other things. Oh well at least I've consistently hit the gym 3 times a week in the past two weeks. Also got a game Thursday and one at 4:45PM on Sunday (which is my birthday).