Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

chrisgt posted:

Those things are great, but holy poo poo, wear safety GOGGLES when using it. I've been through dozens of blades on those things landscaping. If you let it run up to full speed and take a good swing, you can cut down a 2" softwood tree in a split second. Steel toed boots and goggles are a must, though. After I had debris fly under my regular safety glasses and hit my eyebrow I dropped the tool and drove to the store for proper PPE.

How do those things *not* break and just fly into your unprotected shin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/nZIrnvl.gifv

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!

OSHA: mildly toxic at best!

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slotducks posted:

How do those things *not* break and just fly into your unprotected shin?

The ones I've used have a beefy reinforced gearbox, a lot more skookum than your average string trimmer. The blades are also designed for the purpose, you don't just bolt a dado on there and hope for the best.

Based on the guard being plastic and so far away, the one in the pictures looks pretty suspect... Looks like someone bolted a skill saw blade to their string trimmer. The proper ones have a metal guard almost half way around the blade so if it does frag you don't lose your shins.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Groda posted:

The early nuclear weapons programs left us with a huge quantity of potentially radioactive asbestos (especially the nuclear rocket program, funny that). They've even invented a euphemistic term for it, mixed waste.

It's terrible to hear perfectly good dirty bomb material go to waste.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Looks like someone bolted a skill saw blade to their string trimmer.
I've done this. And it worked great for clearing over grown hedges too, for all of five minutes when it hit a particularly hard branch and it bucked. After which I decided it was an incredibly bad idea went inside and got a machete.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guyver posted:

I've done this. And it worked great for clearing over grown hedges too, for all of five minutes when it hit a particularly hard branch and it bucked. After which I decided it was an incredibly bad idea went inside and got a machete.

How did you attach the machete to the trimmer?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Nenonen posted:

Like any self respecting Canadian would. Duct Tape.

If the women don't find you handsome...

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nenonen posted:

Is this a pitch for Jörg Sprave's next video?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nenonen posted:

You don't, you bolt it to your rotary scythe :eng101:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Don't be silly I would have needed at least two machetes for that to balance it out. I'm not made of machetes.

Would two or four work better in a trimmer powered machete? I'm thinking four wouldn't give it enough time between contact to get up to speed to be effective. Three might work.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Guyver posted:

You learn two things using it long enough. First, how to avoid kickbacks like that. Second, how to stay out of the path of the kickback. I've done a lot of jobs where someone didn't mow a section of their lawn for 10 years and suddenly they want it to be lawn again. It's an extremely useful tool for that. So is a backhoe, but that's not always practical...

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

chrisgt posted:

The ones I've used have a beefy reinforced gearbox, a lot more skookum than your average string trimmer. The blades are also designed for the purpose, you don't just bolt a dado on there and hope for the best.

A lot more Grandmother than your average string trimmer? What?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

He's imitating the speech patterns of AvE, a Canadian youtube guy who talks about tools

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/lTo3OyP.mp4

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cheese grade chinesium

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just run it the other way for a bit, it'll fix itself

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

highly toxic it's lead you retard!!! You know the stuff that a lot of older city water mains are made out of the stuff that was common in water lines and homes up to the 70s the stuff that any older building is painted in!!!! highly toxic try again retard!!! lead is mildly toxic at best!
There's an interesring hypothesis that the removal of lead from petrol (sorry gasoline) is a contributing factor in falling crime rates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-crime_hypothesis

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

He's imitating the speech patterns of AvE, a Canadian youtube guy who talks about tools

I've used that word since before I knew about AvE, but yes, it means "study as gently caress". I learned of words such as "skookum" and "choocher", plus many others when I lived in Newfoundland in 2003.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I learned about skookum from Borderlands 2, where weapons can roll it as a perk.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah skookum is a well-established canadian word afaik.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spankmeister posted:

Being Canadian, albeit at the other end of the country, I've literally only heard Skookum used by Native peoples to refer to their grandmother.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A visit to my hometown prompted me to look up a nearby bridge i remembered.

It's a railway bridge over the Missouri, pictured here:

What you can't quite see is that because there weren't all that many ways to cross the river in the area, in 1925 they added a plank roadway and allowed cars to use it while it was still quite active as a Great Northern railroad.

You'd drive up an access road and then point your car straight down the middle of it and just go for it. All the way up to 1985.

quote:

Although a long bridge with one-way traffic and shared with railroad trains should have been spectacularly hazardous, a 1981 study found that it was "so dangerous that it [was] safe" because drivers were extraordinarily cautious when crossing it.

More info, for the bridge-curious.
https://www.johnweeks.com/river_missouri/pages/mt_mo_01.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

spankmeister posted:

Mostly in the NW apparently - borrowed from Chinook.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/skookum

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > OSHA: a 1981 study found that it was "so dangerous that it was safe"

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's an interesring hypothesis that the removal of lead from petrol (sorry gasoline) is a contributing factor in falling crime rates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-crime_hypothesis

I can't wait to see what China's millenials get up to.

Edit: Seriously though, is anyone here read up on lead exposure and the various neurological and psychological symptoms induced? Because I may know 30 million people or so who may have been exposed to high lead levels and are showing signs of lowered impulse control, paranoia, diminished cognition, and a loss of empathy, and I'm a bit worried something might be going on!

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 5, 2018

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

chrisgt posted:

I've used that word since before I knew about AvE, but yes, it means "study as gently caress". I learned of words such as "skookum" and "choocher", plus many others when I lived in Newfoundland in 2003.

that guy has gotten my whole little crew in SE texas using weird Canadian slang, haven't gotten to the point of throwing "wa" onto the end of all my sentences though.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

"But it was cheaper than the other ones!"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Those things are great, but holy poo poo, wear safety GOGGLES when using it.

I always use a combined faceshield/earmuffs thingy.
And sturdy trousers. If there's any gravel nearby it will be flung at your shins with considerable velocity.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

I always use a combined faceshield/earmuffs thingy.
And sturdy trousers. If there's any gravel nearby it will be flung at your shins with considerable velocity.

yeah I've got a pair of chainsaw chaps I use for doing dumbawesome things like that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

I legit love using mine for fasteners

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

a kitten posted:

A visit to my hometown prompted me to look up a nearby bridge i remembered.

It's a railway bridge over the Missouri, pictured here:

What you can't quite see is that because there weren't all that many ways to cross the river in the area, in 1925 they added a plank roadway and allowed cars to use it while it was still quite active as a Great Northern railroad.

You'd drive up an access road and then point your car straight down the middle of it and just go for it. All the way up to 1985.

More info, for the bridge-curious.
https://www.johnweeks.com/river_missouri/pages/mt_mo_01.html

Lmao

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

No need to be rushin' through the intersection

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Fasdar posted:

I can't wait to see what China's millenials get up to.

Edit: Seriously though, is anyone here read up on lead exposure and the various neurological and psychological symptoms induced? Because I may know 30 million people or so who may have been exposed to high lead levels and are showing signs of lowered impulse control, paranoia, diminished cognition, and a loss of empathy, and I'm a bit worried something might be going on!

I've been exposed to lead in the past and now I'm an idiot rear end in a top hat so it's extremely plausible. IMO. but I can't be sure it was the lead, it could have been many other continuous bad life choices I made for several years around that time.

Iirc when the adult body finds itself with lead most forms are deposited in bone and it takes 30 years to get liberated and excreted. Chelation doesn't work unless you are acutely exposed because to rectify chronic exposure you'd have to dissolve loving bones.

It's substantially worse for kids, brutally terribly worse.

I'd be interested to see if there's also a black mold hypothesis. I remember looking that poo poo up and I guess it causes pretty extreme RNA damage, especially in nerve cells.

I don't know how actually accurate any of this is but it's my current understanding.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

So the BTR ran the light here, right? Or do flashing green lights mean something else in Russia? Either way, I feel like the driver that got hit will be the one held responsible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Detective Thompson posted:

So the BTR ran the light here, right? Or do flashing green lights mean something else in Russia? Either way, I feel like the driver that got hit will be the one held responsible.

much like pedestrians, APCs always have the right of way

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Trusting a green light? That's a paddlin' pancakin'.

e: I think it's a solid green, the flash is because of typical camera stroboscope voodoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

that guy has gotten my whole little crew in SE texas using weird Canadian slang, haven't gotten to the point of throwing "wa" onto the end of all my sentences though.

That's gotta be a french canadian thing, I've never heard that one anywhere else.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Being Canadian, albeit at the other end of the country, I've literally only heard Skookum used by Native peoples to refer to their grandmother.

Maybe they have really badass grandmothers