Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a drakegun that I love right now and its really good for swarms, but I feel like I'm much more useful with a crossbow to headshot specials / stormvermin and save people from assassins/hookrats, so im probably going to have to sadly switch back tonight

also I kind of felt like it might be screwing my teammates up from blocking effectively / seeing enemies considering how crazy the fire animation is on it

eonwe fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Cowcaster posted:

huntsman kruber has something going on with his active ability and the shotgun that lets him ... while making a noise like boulders falling off a cliff and landing on a honda civic

The day they fix this is the day I put Kruber back in his shoebox.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Emalde posted:

He's the only one who gets a proper halberd though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 5, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
designated special snipers in VT2 are like half as good as they were in VT1 for two reasons:

1) there's tons more specials - they don't necessarily show up in greater density, but if the enemy is active and not in one of their designated calm states, at least one special is ALWAYS rolling around. the instant you kill the gutter runner, a leech goes active. the second the leech dies, you hear a ratling! being a designated special killer means that you are now spending a ton of time with your sniper weapon out, which wasn't true in VT1 where you could quickly pull your crossbow or handgun, 360 noscope the big problem on the field, and get back to stamping out the horde like a guttering fire.
2) due to the advent of hero power, there's no longer a clean way of saying that those sniper weapons will actually do the damage you need them to do. nothing is more tooth-grindingly frustrating than pulling off a perfect headshot of a problematic special and having them not die. packmasters are the worst about this right now because they have tons of health, but at marginal HPs i've seen handguns fail to kill things like leeches, blightstormers, and even ratlings. this is saying nothing about how bloody annoying it is to gut shot a stormvermin or chaos mauler with your shiny handgun and watch them just get pissed off.

bardin is almost always better off just taking his grudge raker vs a crossbow, which is honestly high on my list of things that are too powerful right now. you can't handle things at extreme range, so you will have the occasional problem with blightstormers and ratling guns but victor's volley crossbow, kruber/kerillian's longbows, and kerillian/pyro sienna's actives will erase them much better than you can so just make your peace with that imo.

also, re: this:

Cowcaster posted:

huntsman kruber has something going on with his active ability and the shotgun that lets him liquefy even boss enemies in 3 seconds while making a noise like boulders falling off a cliff and landing on a honda civic so that's pretty good
shotgun crits are currently applying per pellet. whereas most weapons get one damage zone that is multiplied by 150% on a crit, the blunderbuss gets close to a dozen. couple that with the fact that armor will not save you on a crit and yeah poo poo is gonna get murdered. combine with an orange that has Concoction (any potion you drink gives you the effect of all 3 potions, 50% of normal time affected) even Trollface is gonna have a really bad day.

ps: get Concoction, it's SUPER nice being able to grab a speed potion that everyone leaves behind and turn it into something useful in basically any situation. only downside is that you now really do not want to be carrying a grim, but typically your allies are happy enough to carry them for you.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 5, 2018

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

eonwe posted:

I have a drakegun that I love right now and its really good for swarms, but I feel like I'm much more useful with a crossbow to headshot specials / stormvermin and save people from assassins/hookrats, so im probably going to have to sadly switch back tonight

also I kind of felt like it might be screwing my teammates up from blocking effectively / seeing enemies considering how crazy the fire animation is on it

Yeah, this has been a problem I have had with Solo quick play. I can go ironbreaker/drakegun and never need a health kit but we wipe due specials. Ranger/grudgraker is better at killing specials.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
How do you reliably target the fireball? For example a chaos warrior in a horde; half the time I fire it and it seems to vanish in the crowd.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

designated special snipers in VT2 are like half as good as they were in VT1 for two reasons:

1) there's tons more specials - they don't necessarily show up in greater density, but if the enemy is active and not in one of their designated calm states, at least one special is ALWAYS rolling around. the instant you kill the gutter runner, a leech goes active. the second the leech dies, you hear a ratling! being a designated special killer means that you are now spending a ton of time with your sniper weapon out, which wasn't true in VT1 where you could quickly pull your crossbow or handgun, 360 noscope the big problem on the field, and get back to stamping out the horde like a guttering fire.
2) due to the advent of hero power, there's no longer a clean way of saying that those sniper weapons will actually do the damage you need them to do. nothing is more tooth-grindingly frustrating than pulling off a perfect headshot of a problematic special and having them not die. packmasters are the worst about this right now because they have tons of health, but at marginal HPs i've seen handguns fail to kill things like leeches, blightstormers, and even ratlings. this is saying nothing about how bloody annoying it is to gut shot a stormvermin or chaos mauler with your shiny handgun and watch them just get pissed off.

bardin is almost always better off just taking his grudge raker, which is honestly high on my list of things that are too powerful right now. you can't handle things at extreme range, so you will have the occasional problem with blightstormers and ratling guns but victor's volley crossbow, kruber/kerillian's longbows, and kerillian/pyro sienna's actives will erase them much better than you can so just make your peace with that imo.
Which Saltzpyres are carrying volley crossbows instead of repeater pistols? I've been in love with the repeater but if the volley crossbow is that much better I might switch over once I get my hands on a decent one.

Personally I love seeing a drakegun dwarf because there's always an elf and I'm (for now) carrying a repeater so that's long and medium/close-ranged specials covered pretty thoroughly, respectively. Thinning out the hordes and providing some tankiness is really appreciated.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I really should just learn how to get better with the Rapier all over again. I just hate the feeling like I'm whacking poo poo with a nerf bat, so I feel compelled to only use WH Captain with it for the insta-kill on headshots.

The rapier always felt super-killy for me even in VT1, and with the WHC passive in VT2 its insta-kill headshots make it feel even more killy. When a horde presents itself, identify head-level for skavenslaves and click. Heads shall fly.

Also, light attacks taking away 0 stamina on block for the WHC is a great ability for a character that was already supposed to be darting around at the front liberating heads from bodies.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Taredan posted:

How do you reliably target the fireball? For example a chaos warrior in a horde; half the time I fire it and it seems to vanish in the crowd.

The big charge fireball actually has piercing and will piece targets until it hits something it can’t pierce then explode. Target the head of the Chaos Warrior and the chaff will catch the fire ball with their faces until it hits him or a unit that also blocks piercing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Taredan posted:

are we talking the homing fireball or the fireball staff? if it's the homing one, holding your ability button down will make it highlight whatever it's going to fly at first so you can use that to target what you want to hit (after that it's got a mind of its own and will happily shoot off into space). if it's the fireball staff through some incomprehensible and unknowable math based on its power level it's got a certain amount of "piercing" to it. if it hits a hard enough target, it'll pop.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I'd say I suspect she survives on the fact that she's really useful to have around, but then I remember the Total Warhams event where someone suggests maybe the dwarfs let something slide so they can focus on something more important, and your answer options are 'No' and 'Noooooooooooo'.

As someone whose exposure to WH fantasy is mostly limited to Vermintide, the Total War games and Gotrek and Felix novels I'm personally still trying to process the absurdity of a Skaven/Norsca tag team on Helmgart when the logical opposition would be Beastmen and the french.

Maybe with a surprise gently caress You from the Wood Elves down the way.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cowcaster posted:

are we talking the homing fireball or the fireball staff? if it's the homing one, holding your ability button down will make it highlight whatever it's going to fly at first so you can use that to target what you want to hit (after that it's got a mind of its own and will happily shoot off into space). if it's the fireball staff through some incomprehensible and unknowable math based on its power level it's got a certain amount of "piercing" to it. if it hits a hard enough target, it'll pop.

The homing fireball- thanks

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

also, re: this:

shotgun crits are currently applying per pellet. whereas most weapons get one damage zone that is multiplied by 150% on a crit, the blunderbuss gets close to a dozen. couple that with the fact that armor will not save you on a crit and yeah poo poo is gonna get murdered. combine with an orange that has Concoction (any potion you drink gives you the effect of all 3 potions, 50% of normal time affected) even Trollface is gonna have a really bad day.

ps: get Concoction, it's SUPER nice being able to grab a speed potion that everyone leaves behind and turn it into something useful in basically any situation. only downside is that you now really do not want to be carrying a grim, but typically your allies are happy enough to carry them for you.

On one hand, Kruber deleting bosses is probably bad but it sure is nice against Stormfiends because those things feel awful to fight due to armor spraying fire everywhere and nobody really being able to hold its attention long enough to stab the lil freaky rat on the back.

Also: seconding Concoction. It's beautiful really

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Caidin posted:

As someone whose exposure to WH fantasy is mostly limited to Vermintide, the Total War games and Gotrek and Felix novels I'm personally still trying to process the absurdity of a Skaven/Norsca tag team on Helmgart when the logical opposition would be Beastmen and the french.

I mean they did build some kind of teleporter. I'm guessing that's where they're getting their inexhaustible horde of fat vikings.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
So is BW just bad at the moment? That'd be a shame. Sienna was my favourite in RatMurder 1, since I like the fire and the cackling pyromania and all

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Which Saltzpyres are carrying volley crossbows instead of repeater pistols? I've been in love with the repeater but if the volley crossbow is that much better I might switch over once I get my hands on a decent one.

Personally I love seeing a drakegun dwarf because there's always an elf and I'm (for now) carrying a repeater so that's long and medium/close-ranged specials covered pretty thoroughly, respectively. Thinning out the hordes and providing some tankiness is really appreciated.

bluntly, saltzpyre's repeating pistol isn't that great. it's good for deleting bosses in his BH career under very specific circumstances due to the way an alt fire shot counts as one 'shot' with blessed shots, but its accuracy is awful and its stopping power under normal circumstances leaves a lot to be desired. salty tripping balls on a strength potion with his volley crossbow's alt fire (which fires 3 crossbow bolts at a time) does just as well at killing bosses with fewer caveats - heck, it's good enough that you can just be WHC and rely on the mark bonus to carry you. then the rest of the time, the primary fire is accurate enough that you can pick off distant threats without any issue (though be aware it will take a couple shots), and the penetration is actually good so you're not pissing into the wind firing the weapon at a horde.

Zephro posted:

So is BW just bad at the moment? That'd be a shame. Sienna was my favourite in RatMurder 1, since I like the fire and the cackling pyromania and all

sienna's base career is her weakest one by a country mile. stick with it. level 7 gets you pyromancer and it is FANTASTIC.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Caidin posted:

Yeah, like the title says, this is part of the End Times, where Chaos was on the warpath to finally destroy the entire world, the Skaven allied with them because the Horned Rat is technically a being of Chaos, and not-France was hosed up by a civil war, plague, zombies, and then destroyed by the Skaven. The Bretonnian knights went on their final crusade to help out the Empire.

Now that you mention it, I imagine a third enemy faction Fatshark could add would be the Beastmen, though honestly I'd prefer them to add Greenskins or Undead and have them fight the Chaos-Skaven alliance as well as our intrepid heroes for even more melee insanity.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zephro posted:

she seems ok to me, just that she doesn't seem to have any broken wombo combo interactions at the moment like the other heroes do and that makes her weaker by comparison

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'd only accept orks if they went after everyone and not just you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

she seems ok to me, just that doesn't seem to have any broken wombo combo interactions at the moment like the other heroes do and that makes her weaker by comparison

pyromancer Sienna with a good fireball staff is pretty busted. fireball staff is mega good at obliterating hordes and handling in-your-face specials, her active just deletes everything else. she doesn't have instant-delete-boss capabilities but even without them she does a frightening amount of damage with her active for the times the big hitters fall just short. her only issue is that she doesn't have any serious melee contenders when she gets stuck in, really.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
An expansion of a group of 5 orcs looking for a good fight.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Coolguye posted:

WHC makes specials take 25% more damage just for being tagged. victor doesn't need to tag them, he just needs to exist.

Are you sure that bonus applies to the whole team? I didn't really see any indication of that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Humantide 3 - Orks at play

choices

night goblin
black ork
ork choppa
goblin big boss
ork or goblin shaman?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Are you sure that bonus applies to the whole team? I didn't really see any indication of that.
yes, WHC simply existing means that all marked enemies take 25% more damage. he needn't mark them. he needn't hit them himself. he needn't even be nearby. lune can probably post the associated LUA, he and i were reviewing some of this junk last weekend.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Caidin posted:

Yeah I've been really wondering how the hell we're in "town I use to murder Khazrak every game" instead of somewhere up northeast. As far as I'm concerned, that area of the Reikland is about as safe from Norsca as it could be, even if the Skaven's thing is appearing from below to just murderfuck something. I also can't really see why they'd pick Helmgart: its a fortress town that guards a pass through Reikland's southern approach towards Bretonnia, which is either something the Norscans don't give a poo poo about, or is something the Skaven can already bypass.

Oh well. Game's still really good.

Coolguye posted:

bluntly, saltzpyre's repeating pistol isn't that great. it's good for deleting bosses in his BH career under very specific circumstances due to the way an alt fire shot counts as one 'shot' with blessed shots, but its accuracy is awful and its stopping power under normal circumstances leaves a lot to be desired. salty tripping balls on a strength potion with his volley crossbow's alt fire (which fires 3 crossbow bolts at a time) does just as well at killing bosses with fewer caveats - heck, it's good enough that you can just be WHC and rely on the mark bonus to carry you. then the rest of the time, the primary fire is accurate enough that you can pick off distant threats without any issue (though be aware it will take a couple shots), and the penetration is actually good so you're not pissing into the wind firing the weapon at a horde.
Neat. I'll keep an eye out. I don't like relying on a strength potion unless I get that trinket that makes potions use health but not be consumed, but its something to think about. I've been finding that the alt-fire/blessed shots interaction is good enough that I want to keep it around for that alone.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a guy in the group i was playing with last night was saying it not only applies to everyone, the enemies don't even actually need to be tagged. just that all enemies that are classed as taggable take 25% more damage.

no idea if that's actually true or just some hearsay he scrubbed off of reddit or something

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Emalde posted:

The best thing about this is everyone hears it at full volume following KILL FOR OL’ KRUBER so they know when you’ve turned your shotgun into a portable howitzer

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Bardin keeps mentioning Gobbo's when he grabs a bomb and talked about their being a lot O'Greenskins up in the pass next to the city in the temple mission, could happen.

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, like the title says, this is part of the End Times, where Chaos was on the warpath to finally destroy the entire world, the Skaven allied with them because the Horned Rat is technically a being of Chaos, and not-France was hosed up by a civil war, plague, zombies, and then destroyed by the Skaven. The Bretonnian knights went on their final crusade to help out the Empire.

Now that you mention it, I imagine a third enemy faction Fatshark could add would be the Beastmen, though honestly I'd prefer them to add Greenskins or Undead and have them fight the Chaos-Skaven alliance as well as our intrepid heroes for even more melee insanity.

Okay so it's like turn 130 or so. The biggest threat is still probably gonna be Treemen kicking down the gates.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Coolguye posted:

bardin is almost always better off just taking his grudge raker vs a crossbow, which is honestly high on my list of things that are too powerful right now. you can't handle things at extreme range, so you will have the occasional problem with blightstormers and ratling guns but victor's volley crossbow, kruber/kerillian's longbows, and kerillian/pyro sienna's actives will erase them much better than you can so just make your peace with that imo.

This has made me very sad as I've always enjoyed the crossbow a lot more than the other weapons. Getting hooked by a packmaster after you've shot it in the head is pretty much the worst feeling ever. I don't just want to crossbow things, I want to Crossbow Things Dead.

Not knowing whether your first shot is going to kill the ratling or irritate it is just devastating. Even if you pop smoke and get a few clean shots in (both of which can be interrupted by people hitting you in melee) you've expended a lot more time than you would have just planting one between its eyes and moving on in VT1. Doomdwarf being strong is good, i guess, but specials threaten you at such humongous distances in this game that it just does not cover the niche of Special Killer. Not to mention the fact that half of the specials now instantly teleport away if your first shot doesn't kill them.

Which reminds me - how does smoke cloud work exactly? Because I sure get stabbed a lot in the smoke cloud.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 5, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

don't worry too much about total warhammer when thinking about the End Times as a whole simply because in total warhammer the end times have at least a coin flip's chance of sputtering out before it destroys Kislev even on the hardest difficulty level, and per the writing chaos just sort of rolls over Kislev without even slowing down in the End Times

the chaos in this particular game are one specific warband pledged specifically to Nurgle fighting alongside one specific and minor Skaven clan. their overall impact in the End Times is trivial.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 5, 2018

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rest assured however, that in all likelihood once Fatshark is done with this series, it ends with our beloved heroes dying.

It wasn't Mannfred shanking Gelt just as he was about to save everyone, it was Kerillian insisting they go for a second Grimoire in the Altdorf level.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's no 'in all likelihood', age of sigmar outright requires that all of the heroes die horribly when the planet gets mooned if nothing else

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean, with Total Warhammer letting players give a big gently caress you to Archaon in the End Times, I wonder if GW is willing to let the Ubersreik Five (or four, doesn't matter) change "history" and stop the Skaven from blowing up the moon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Handguns in particular show one of the many reasons why power level is garbo (in combination with the similarly-unnecessary damage falloff) which is that damage breakpoints are now mushy and constantly in flux while nothing about the gameplay has actually changed to make those breakpoints any less important, and this inordinately affects some weapons (mainly slow specialized ones like the handgun) more than others. I probably used handguns more than any other ranged weapon in the first game so the difference is pretty stark. They did apparently reduce the thing’s damage falloff a few days ago which helps, some of the time

Unrelated: it takes much longer after aiming with the handgun to become fully accurate than it used to and this is throwing off my muscle memory something fierce

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

Humantide 3 - Orks at play

choices

night goblin
black ork
ork choppa
goblin big boss
ork or goblin shaman?

yes, but only if I can play as a squig, HyC's spirit animal.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

hemale in pain posted:

I like this game but recruit is a tad too easy and encourages players to try to solo. It needs one or two more horde spawns with a couple of big armoured dudes thrown in.

The shock of going from recruit to veteran is crazy.

Me and my friends have died a lot on recruit lmao

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

That Gobbo posted:

An expansion of a group of 5 orcs looking for a good fight.

Make it 40k and call it Deffwotch after the legendary PbP.

One of the Orks that specializes in ranged combat has a passive called 'See? Iz ALWAYS got enuff'. Whenever you have zero ammo, attempts to reload see you smack your gun a couple of times and magically you've got a full clip again.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 5, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The elf lady seems fun so far

Being able to regen health and let everyone else take healing is nice

Jesus christ does getting every book make the game a lot harder

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Coolguye posted:

sienna's base career is her weakest one by a country mile. stick with it. level 7 gets you pyromancer and it is FANTASTIC.

quote:

she seems ok to me, just that she doesn't seem to have any broken wombo combo interactions at the moment like the other heroes do and that makes her weaker by comparison
OK, thanks. I'll stick with Fire Grandma for now :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Digirat posted:

Handguns in particular show one of the many reasons why power level is garbo (in combination with the similarly-unnecessary damage falloff) which is that damage breakpoints are now mushy and constantly in flux while nothing about the gameplay has actually changed to make those breakpoints any less important, and this inordinately affects some weapons (mainly slow specialized ones like the handgun) more than others. I probably used handguns more than any other ranged weapon in the first game so the difference is pretty stark. They did apparently reduce the thing’s damage falloff a few days ago which helps, some of the time

Unrelated: it takes much longer after aiming with the handgun to become fully accurate than it used to and this is throwing off my muscle memory something fierce

yeah they did make the sniper weapons much less prone to falloff, but it's hard to say how useful it is since you can only get a sightline so long on the keep. even if you move the dummies the best sniping distance i've found doesn't come close to a lot of the shots you can pull off on against the grain or war camp.

this is an IIRC moment so i might be wrong but: the other thing to note, though, is that it actually takes longer for a lot of sniper weapons to hit their required breakpoints because when you hit an arbitrary amount of HP to get a damage upgrade, they gain just as much as everything else. the easiest breakpoints to show this off with are any of the 100x breakpoints, so equip something that gives you, for example, 95 hero power, shoot at a dummy, and then equip something else to bring you up to 100 and shoot again. if my memory serves me right it's the same 25 damage everything else gets, no regard given for the fact that these slow firing weapons have much lower ROFs and therefore gain much less in overall damage output.

• Locked thread