Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Instructor weight makes a difference, but not that much of a difference. And mostly just in acceleration and climb-out performance. Monday morning quarterbacking a bit but I’d be interested in learning how that instructor taught how to use/apply right rudder.

I'm probably just forgetting how not "light" LSAs are compared to a cessna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm probably just forgetting how not "light" LSAs are compared to a cessna.

162 felt pretty touchy compared to a 172 :shrug:

dexter6 posted:

Hi everyone I got my PPL today. Took me two years (with 7 months off until 2 weeks ago) and 86 hours.

STILL COUNTS

Congrats! On to the instrument rating!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

dexter6 posted:

Hi everyone I got my PPL today. Took me two years (with 7 months off until 2 weeks ago) and 86 hours.

STILL COUNTS

Congrats!

You know what they call the guy who finishes last in his Med School class? Doctor.

You know what they call the guy that passed his PVT with 86 hours? Pilot.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

dexter6 posted:

STILL COUNTS

Woo! Congrats!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

dexter6 posted:

STILL COUNTS

Still looks the same and comes with the same privileges as someone who did it faster. Congrats!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nuggan posted:

There was a wreck at my airport today.

Some dude in a LSA on his first solo didn't correct for the left pull on takeoff and went straight down the embankment on the side of the runway. He got out with no injuries but the plane, brand new with all glass instruments, is totaled.

"Right rudder, right rudder, right rudder"

-Every CFI, endlessly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there a mechanical reason that nearly all small planes have propellers that rotate clockwise, or is it just because it's become a convention and it's nice to not have to reverse your control inputs when taking off in a new kind of plane?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Simply convention. Russian planes and some British planes are left-turning.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Russian helicopters have an opposite-direction rotor and tail rotor, as well.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MrYenko posted:

Russian helicopters have an opposite-direction rotor and tail rotor, as well.

US helos turn opposite to mainland European stuff, the Russians take it a step further with grip throttles which roll in the opposite direction as well, if I’m not mistaken.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Here4DaGangBang posted:

US helos turn opposite to mainland European stuff, the Russians take it a step further with grip throttles which roll in the opposite direction as well, if I’m not mistaken.

I remember reading about training to fly the Huey during the Vietnam war, where the author said guys who rode motorcycles needed to be careful not to twist the control the wrong way. Guess the Russians figured that one out!

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

"Right rudder, right rudder, right rudder"

-Every CFI, endlessly.

Reminds me of this you tube classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eopl5QLQ5zs

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

They’re having a blast while that guy shits!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our program is trying to get R-ATP approved. We've checked all the boxes. Feds claim it's because we don't have an ATP-CTP course in our curriculum.

(Checks internet, finds none of the other approved programs nearby have an ATP-CTP and the only college approved to have one anywhere is Riddle. Realizes we're dealing with the gubmint. Dies a little inside.)

BOING...BOING...BOING...BOING

I think one of those ERAU 172s in that livery wound up at the airport we train out of, interestingly enough. They re-registered it and removed the ERAU references but the eagle on the nose was still there.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

madeintaipei posted:

I remember reading about training to fly the Huey during the Vietnam war, where the author said guys who rode motorcycles needed to be careful not to twist the control the wrong way. Guess the Russians figured that one out!

The US way would be better IMO, as it feels more natural to roll your wrist away from you as you lift your arm to raise the collective.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
https://twitter.com/NWSAWC/status/969572219977457665

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just landed, can confirm today is a breezy one.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
bumpy as sh-t pirep.jpg

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It was one of those “everyone clapped when we landed” days.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

I want to throw up when I have to ride on a CRJ too.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
I flew across the country last weekend. First a CRJ2 from SYR to IAD, that was a fun ride, and then IAD to SAN. They had to stop service several times because of turbulence, mostly on the east coast. It wasn’t too bad though. I’ve flown my PA28 in far worse.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

fordan posted:

I want to throw up when I have to ride on a CRJ too.

It's not *that* bad. Just make sure you're shorter than 5 feet tall, don't have a sense of smell, and are so drunk that you pass out before takeoff.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
We attempted LGA on Friday but ended up diverting. We shoulda been cancelled from the get go

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

It's not *that* bad. Just make sure you're shorter than 5 feet tall, don't have a sense of smell, and are so drunk that you pass out before takeoff.

That’s how I get through every flight I have to fly, only we try to pass out after takeoff. It’s the first thing they teach us in ground. V1, rotate, pound shooters.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Speaking of CRJ-200s... Day 3 stuck in STL for an AOG. CrewSked wants to keep me here to ferry the thing back to base... eventually. The rest of the crew is getting deadheaded out as they're into days off and keeping them here is expensive. I'm running out of Netflix.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Hahah what the gently caress is this poo poo United:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Better than the “get a concussion and dragged off the plane” lottery

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

CBSNews posted:

United President Scott Kirby

How is this guy still allowed to make decisions relating to labor groups?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

As a passenger and avgeek, my perception of United is that they are as confused as their "we're United, but please think we're Continental" livery would indicate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i deliberately haven't flown on united since a completely poo poo-tacular trip home for christmas four or so years ago and every single time they're in the news it just confirms the correctness of that decision

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

All my friends who went from regional pilots to United pilots say the same thing: it's just the same poo poo-show as a regional operation except with bigger airplanes and international flights.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What's crewmember life like at Delta? They've been by far my best experience as a passenger.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

What's crewmember life like at Delta? They've been by far my best experience as a passenger.

I have a friend who's currently in the right seat on the MD-88, New York based. He seems happy enough with how things are going, though he's moving his family to Detroit and switching to the 717 this month for better QOL.

Anything's better than the commuting nightmares he told me about at Compass living in Virginia and being Los Angeles based.

Another friend was LAX based on the 717 and just upgraded to the 767 out of SEA though I don't get to hear from him as often.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I have a friend who's currently in the right seat on the MD-88, New York based. He seems happy enough with how things are going, though he's moving his family to Detroit and switching to the 717 this month for better QOL.

Anything's better than the commuting nightmares he told me about at Compass living in Virginia and being Los Angeles based.

Another friend was LAX based on the 717 and just upgraded to the 767 out of SEA though I don't get to hear from him as often.

Moving his family to Detroit, nice. Well at least he can drive to work now. BTW do you know if he was a flow pilot from Compass or did he get hired later OTS?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two Kings posted:

Moving his family to Detroit, nice. Well at least he can drive to work now. BTW do you know if he was a flow pilot from Compass or did he get hired later OTS?

He started at ASA and left after several years when it was apparent it was a dead end in terms of upgrading. He actually got out of aviation for a bit before going back to Compass. I'm not sure how a flow might have worked into it, but he was in and out of Compass in less than 2 years. He got back into it right around the second coming of pilot shortage, which helped the timing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I've been commuting for all of three months and I don't know how people do this for entire careers holy poo poo.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I've been commuting for all of three months and I don't know how people do this for entire careers holy poo poo.

I'm at 8 years and counting. Yeah........... It ages you for sure. I take a very laid back approach. I give myself plenty of time both ways. I spend a little more time in the Crashpad but its good for my heart. lol

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

It is truly underweighted as a determining factor in your job selection. As long as I am making decent money, no commuting takes huge precedence over my paycheck. Im convinced that a huge part of the pilot misery index is the average pilot’s inability to understand spending multiple days every month getting to and from work is making them miserable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

6 years as an airline pilot, never commuted and that may be the reason I've been so happy to do this job. I packed my bags and lived in both DTW and ATL when I worked for a regional and not only it was great living in base and driving 15 minutes to work, but I had a great time living in those places. I'm now working for an ACMI carrier where I choose where I want to live and they buy me plane tickets and hotels to go to work and ironically I choose to live in Brooklyn. Life is good. Commuting is for suckers and people who had children way too early (suckers). Unless you are taking care of your deathbed parents moving to another town is easier than you think, and its actually one of the FEATURES of being a flight crew. If I get to get hired at a legacy airline I'll once again move to the most junior base, which probably means renewing my lease here in NYC.

By the way one of the most annoying ways to be as an airline pilot is be someone who bitches no-stop about your commute. Shut up. You made your bed now lie in it, stop crying about it while the other guy is trying to his/her job. Especially if you are a junior captain commuting to a base where your FO lives in. Just suck it up and shut up because nothing makes you come across as a bigger loser than crying about commuting to a "poo poo-hole" town when your FO makes half what you make and has consciously chosen to live there and has managed to have a great time.

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m about two months out from living in base judging by the movement on the domicile bid list and that can’t come soon enough.

It’ll be a lot less painful when I inevitably upgrade and make enough to get a hotel without feeling bad about it when a commute doesn’t work out.