Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Pop modding by event has been hosed for like three patches now, it’s ridiculous. The problem is that when a pop is modded by event, instead of creating a subspecies it creates an entirely new one, so cybernetic pops, psychic pops, and any pop which self-modifies immediately ceases to be a member of their old species.

There’s a value “is_mod = yes” which should prevent this, but it’s currently nonfunctional.

The thing is it sometimes works. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone know why nothing is really happening in my games?

The raiders will raid a little, but when a great khan appears they don't do anything, never go to war with anyone. They just sit there until he dies.
I had a fallen empire get woke, and they expanded into some nearby unclaimed systems but 50 years on they once again haven't demanded anyone join their pact or gone to war with anyone.

They all have the military power to gently caress some poo poo up, but aren't. Has 2.0.2 done something to the AI?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

The raiders will raid a little, but when a great khan appears they don't do anything, never go to war with anyone. They just sit there until he dies.
I had a fallen empire get woke, and they expanded into some nearby unclaimed systems but 50 years on they once again haven't demanded anyone join their pact or gone to war with anyone.

They all have the military power to gently caress some poo poo up, but aren't. Has 2.0.2 done something to the AI?
My 2.0.2 is also pretty peaceful. Other empires have been loving each other up but everyone's chill with me and the xenophobe AE is just quietly blobbing into some empty space.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any mechanism in game to quickly cycle through the surface screens of planets so I can go upgrade them all etc without zooming in and out of the system view ?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Another starting question...why can't I claim some systems? I've got them fully surveyed, but it won't let me build a base in some. I can do it in others on the other side of the map.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Hyperdrive tier 2 is a prereq for Wormhole Stabilization to show up. It's a Physics tech.

Awesome, thanks

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
War goals still unclear - if i join a war with an AI against some other AI.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baronjutter posted:

I've had to deal with some pretty aggressive marauders and the Great Khan threw a 20k fleet at me every two months until he died, plus there's a pacifist federation that keeps messing with me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sylink posted:

Is there any mechanism in game to quickly cycle through the surface screens of planets so I can go upgrade them all etc without zooming in and out of the system view ?

the outliner on the right of the screen for your core planets should list them all - if you click on them there it brings up their menu. the F5 screen will let you do the same for planets in sectors.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sylink posted:

Aside from the outliner and F5 screen, you can ctrl-# planets (or ships) and then select them later with #. That's probably the fastest way, honestly, but of course there's a limited number of groups you can assign.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Jazerus posted:

the outliner on the right of the screen for your core planets should list them all - if you click on them there it brings up their menu. the F5 screen will let you do the same for planets in sectors.

Yep that was obvious now, thank you.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What's the consensus right now. Should I buy Apocalypse and play Stellaris again?

I played a bunch when Synthetic Dawn came out then got bored because the combat sucks so bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

What's the consensus right now. Should I buy Apocalypse and play Stellaris again?

I played a bunch when Synthetic Dawn came out then got bored because the combat sucks so bad.

Combat has been balanced a bit, and now encourages use of multiple smaller fleets to hold chokes and respond to attacks over larger areas.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I conquer Sanctuary, start infiltrating the machine/atomic-age races on each ringworld segment for uplifting. First one to get to space gets vassal ownership of the system, a pile of food, credits, and minerals, and left alone.

I check back a few years later and apparently one of the other three races got to space, took over, and started enslaving everyone else. My psychic spiritual pacifist space butterfly monarchy (under our immortal chosen one Empress) shake their heads, offer the vassals integration, fix the ethics issues, then re-vassalize them with a butterfly head of state to nanny them.

And I parked the Dreadnought in-system to keep them safe and behaved

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't need to buy Apocalypse to see how you like the game now. Apocalypse adds a couple of neat civics and a bunch of mid-to-late game toys, but the main game revamp is free of charge.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kidkissinger posted:

I was a huuuuuuge Stellaris fatalist and hated the game after initially buying into the release hype. I hadnt played the game since the plant people content pack thingy and said that it was unsalvagable. I was wrong. Game good.

Honestly, just try the beta (2.0.2) patch without buying to try out how the game works now. It is completely different - like Sandwich Anarchist said, combat has been rebalanced; the game is locked to Hyperlanes only so you can build chokepoints; fleet sizes are limited to prevent mega murder fleets; fleet movement is slower which encourages you to have mutliple smaller fleets to cover the strategic flanks; space is claimed by building a small starbase in a system for 100 minerals and some influence....depending on the wartype you are flipping those to your control or shooting them into submission and "occupying" them.

edit: They added a War Weariness mechanic so wars are not multi-decade long "hellwar" affairs. War Weariness accumulates over time for both sides and can jump after fleet battles and planetary invasions. Once it reaches 100 for both parties the aggressor starts getting massive penalties to encourage them to end the war.

edit2: I've won 1v1 wars by simply winning some space battles and occupying the space I had claims on....I wasnt required to occupy 100% of my opponent's space.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 5, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i don't think the game is an all time great yet but it's a hell of a lot better and it's now something i actually want to play and think most of the serious problems can be changed by loving with some numbers

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
If I declare a war to force an empire to give tribute and my vassal has a couple claims on the enemy is there anyway to give my vassal her claims and still get my tributary?

Edit) while I'm posting I know people have praised the gameplay changes, but I want to compliment the story folks who made the new event chain about the missing head Physicist. It was a fun scramble in the early game.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 5, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Other combat thing is that ships can "disengage" now if they get the poo poo kicked out of them, leaving the combat and becoming untargetable, and if your entire fleet disengages, they do an automatic emergency retreat. Every battle isn't necessarily a battle to total fleet destruction now.

Also planetary invasions and bombardment are reworked, so that you don't need to build defensive armies, and bombardment isn't required to invade (and honestly is sometimes the opposite of what you want to do since it destroys infrastructure now).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also planetary invasions and bombardment are reworked, so that you don't need to build defensive armies, and bombardment isn't required to invade (and honestly is sometimes the opposite of what you want to do since it destroys infrastructure now).

Unless the AI parks like 20 gene warriors on their planet...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Do machine empires or hive minds spawn as pre-FTL species?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I keep meaning to say this but Wiz LordMune etc really hit it out of the park with the new stations. I activated a gateway and the other gate opened beside a bunch of unfriendly empires, so I built a massive shipyard by the friendly gate and a massive fortress slash listening post on the scary side and dumped ftl registries on both, effectively turning the whole thing into an indestructible fleet cannon. And then there's all the neat buildings you can only build under the right conditions, really makes you care about getting certain systems and makes the galaxy feel like more than a flat plain to paint. It's all super good.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 5, 2018

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
This has probably been asked a million times but how do I get someone to open their borders? I know there isn't a specific diplomacy thing for it like in civ, is it just a matter of getting their trust up high enough?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Consider the following:
Driven assimilater, but instead of turning everyone into machines, you turn them into anime.

How hard would it be to add in a third 'species' that isn't robot or bio-organic?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Splicer posted:

I keep meaning to say this but Wiz LordMune etc really hit it out of the park with the new stations. I activated a gateway and the other gate opened beside a bunch of unfriendly empires, so I built a massive shipyard by the friendly gate and a massive fortress slash listening post on the scary side and dumped ftl registries on both, effectively turning the whole thing into an indestructible fleet cannon. And then there's all the neat buildings you can only build under the right conditions, really makes you care about getting certain systems and makes the galaxy feel like more than a flat plain to paint. It's all super good.

I was under the impression that gateways could be turned off or at least not used by people at war with you?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Failboattootoot posted:

This has probably been asked a million times but how do I get someone to open their borders? I know there isn't a specific diplomacy thing for it like in civ, is it just a matter of getting their trust up high enough?

Some civs never will, most of which are fanatic xenophobes.

Pretty much anyone else will open their borders if their opinion of you is positive and your borders are open to them.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I was under the impression that gateways could be turned off or at least not used by people at war with you?

they indeed can't be used by people at war with you

which is a drat shame, the gates turning on should basically be a huge change in galactic geography with both benefits and risks imo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Other combat thing is that ships can "disengage" now if they get the poo poo kicked out of them, leaving the combat and becoming untargetable, and if your entire fleet disengages, they do an automatic emergency retreat. Every battle isn't necessarily a battle to total fleet destruction now.

Psh, I'm running "no retreat" on determined exterminators. Don't need to disengage if everyone just melts.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eltoasto posted:

They claimed both Gateway systems.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I have not noticed this on normal with standard aggro, there's regular wars popping off and the Khan ruined a federation of do-gooders that was hassling me. Anecdote based off of one game though

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ConfusedUs posted:

Some civs never will, most of which are fanatic xenophobes.

Pretty much anyone else will open their borders if their opinion of you is positive and your borders are open to them.

Oh good, exactly the empire i was trying to get into.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eltoasto posted:

It opened in unclaimed space beside a xenophobe FE and on the opposite side of the biggest assholes in the game. I dropped a fortress on the unclaimed gate and so I have this tiny blob of territory whose primary purpose is to be the exit point of the six-lane ship factory located half a galaxy away.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
"Oh sweet, the game's barely started and this anomaly just gave me a living metal deposit, let's research the tech right aw..." *1917 months remaining*
"Maybe not"

I like playing with 2x tech costs, but sometimes it hurts. Not that it would've been much better on 1x costs.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Failboattootoot posted:

Oh good, exactly the empire i was trying to get into.

Yeah. The Inward Perfection Xenophobes (the default race is the Maweer) don't want to talk to you and don't NEED to talk to you.

Then there are the exterminator types: fanatic purifiers, devouring swarms, etc. Their borders are also permanently closed.

However, in both cases, their borders will be open for a few years after a war with them ends, so you could declare war and go for the status quo peace ASAP?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Just finished beating the Unbidden, they popped up in my territory just a few jumps away from my homeworld. Unfortunately for them, I was just waiting for the neighboring 2 federations to finish their wars so I could subjugate somebody, and had 4 fully reinforced fleets with level 2 repeatable techs all done. Still cost me 10 years and 200k minerals in reinforcements though. A big issue was that whenever I attacked with multiple fleets at once the ones with Titans engaged the enemies as soon as they drop out of hyperspace, and charge forward at combat speeds, while the other fleets move forward at regular speed until they get near artillery range. So you end up with 2 or 3 waves of ships instead of one concentrated attack.

I will say that having to rebuild my fleets from 25% strength in 1.9 took about 5 minutes and hundreds of clicks, now it takes 5 seconds and 3 clicks.

Now I get to try an subjugate as much of the galaxy as I can while the 1 big federation (which include an AE that woke up to help beat the Unbidden and killed all of 2 fleets) is busy trying to contain an AI rebellion happening next door to me. I'm hoping they fail and white peace out so I can go after the robots too. Thank god you don't have to carve up big empires anymore before you can vassalize them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Chad Jihad posted:

I have not noticed this on normal with standard aggro, there's regular wars popping off and the Khan ruined a federation of do-gooders that was hassling me. Anecdote based off of one game though

I keep starting new games in the hopes of seeing the Khan mechanics but they never do a drat thing. Every single time they just mass their fleet then wait for the khan to be assassinated, 4 games in a row now. I'm setting the mid-game crisis date really low to try to get it to happen sooner for testing now. The 3 fallen empires that woke also did the same thing. They get their AE fleets and the whole giants in the playground message, then they do nothing. They'll colonize unclaimed systems but never ever go to war, never demand vassals.

Could they think they're not strong enough? In almost every situation they've been boxed in by large-ish federations, but still have way more fleet power than the federation combined. I even tag switched over to a neighbour of one of the awakened empires, sent an insult, and switched back and that didn't provoke any sort of reaction.

Wow Bagger
Mar 30, 2010
Found a fun bug. The neighbouring civ is really determined to use the stop colossus cassus belli against me, despite the fact that I haven't even researched destroyer tech yet.

One of those warnings shows up every in-game day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone else noticed the minor bug that if you conquer a planet with destroyed buildings, order them repaired or upgraded, then demolish the building the building queue gets replaced with what looks like the Plague Memorial building? When it finishes construction you don't get the memorial though, just a blank tile.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I cant say i like marauders in the beta patch. It's way too easy to pay them off and never have to fight them, ever. Even the first time a raiding fleet shows up 500 energy is basically nothing compared to the expense of fighting them or rebuilding after they attack.

Baronjutter posted:

I keep starting new games in the hopes of seeing the Khan mechanics but they never do a drat thing. Every single time they just mass their fleet then wait for the khan to be assassinated, 4 games in a row now. I'm setting the mid-game crisis date really low to try to get it to happen sooner for testing now. The 3 fallen empires that woke also did the same thing. They get their AE fleets and the whole giants in the playground message, then they do nothing. They'll colonize unclaimed systems but never ever go to war, never demand vassals.

Could they think they're not strong enough? In almost every situation they've been boxed in by large-ish federations, but still have way more fleet power than the federation combined. I even tag switched over to a neighbour of one of the awakened empires, sent an insult, and switched back and that didn't provoke any sort of reaction.

The Khan doesnt even use war mechanics, they spread like a crisis, they shouldn't care about hostile FP.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 5, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nevets posted:

A big issue was that whenever I attacked with multiple fleets at once the ones with Titans engaged the enemies as soon as they drop out of hyperspace, and charge forward at combat speeds, while the other fleets move forward at regular speed until they get near artillery range.
So there is an actual difference between combat and regular sublight travel? Can you turn that off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I cant say i like marauders in the beta patch. It's way too easy to pay them off and never have to fight them, ever. Even the first time a raiding fleet shows up 500 energy is basically nothing compared to the expense of fighting them or rebuilding after they attack.

The Khan doesnt even use war mechanics, they spread like a crisis, they shouldn't care about hostile FP.

Should they all flag red as enemies the moment the khan arrives? Other than raiders expressly attacking you, they always stay yellow. The ones that pile up and get stuck in a system are always yellow raiding fleets too.

Also when I kill a marauder "civilization" there's always an event about them getting a revenge attack on your home system. I always get the event but never once an attacking fleet.