Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Would M5S at least block Lega's mass deportation idea? I'm assuming not, in which case we could be on the cusp of a humanitarian disaster on top of the current humanitarian disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tesseraction posted:

Would M5S at least block Lega's mass deportation idea? I'm assuming not, in which case we could be on the cusp of a humanitarian disaster on top of the current humanitarian disaster.

M5S is extremely pro-loving the immigrants so no

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

This long piece on how fascism in Italy never went away but was given a new coat of paint and approval in the last few years is well worth reading.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

M5S is extremely pro-loving the immigrants so no

Yep. That's what I thought.

Asked the Italian acquaintance and he's over the moon that anti-EU parties won, although he's sad that Lega aren't outright-majority. He hopes that a coalition of M5S and Lega will mean the honesty of M5S and the competence (hah) of Lega will combine to make a wonderful government.

He said he's never been more proud to be Italian.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

To be fair, if I was Italian I'd probably be highly anti-EU by now as well. Still wouldn't vote for M5S or Lega Fascisti though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Tesseraction posted:

Yep. That's what I thought.

Asked the Italian acquaintance and he's over the moon that anti-EU parties won, although he's sad that Lega aren't outright-majority. He hopes that a coalition of M5S and Lega will mean the honesty of M5S and the competence (hah) of Lega will combine to make a wonderful government.

He said he's never been more proud to be Italian.

Tell him an Italian lady from the internet told him to go gently caress himself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mikl posted:

Tell him an Italian lady from the internet told him to go gently caress himself.

Will do. I won't report back his response

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Still relevant.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Squalid posted:

aren’t 5 star and lega just in it for the self aggrandizement and grift? Seem like the sort who’d rather sit on the sidelines and rail at the establishment rather than risk actually governing.

Just think of how much you can grift if you have control of the state.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Looks like your country is somewhat hosed up, Italy. But I guess 40% youth unemployment and 20 years of GDP stagnation can do that. Good luck anyway!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does the EU as an organisation actually have anything to say about how so many of its member states are coming to hate it and Britain may not be the only one to try to exit? I've mentioned before that the Remain campaign basically didn't exist.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Inescapable Duck posted:

Does the EU as an organisation actually have anything to say about how so many of its member states are coming to hate it and Britain may not be the only one to try to exit? I've mentioned before that the Remain campaign basically didn't exist.

Doubling down on 'those damned populists :argh: ' mainly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Remain campaign literally only had two potential messages:

1) everything is wonderful, why would you ruin that?

2) dear GOD everything is AWFUL, why make it worse??

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

You mean its member states? Its leaders are mostly chuffed they can play the Blame Brussels game while pretending that the people who sit in the Council meetings are someone else than they themselves.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Dutch Labour Party is a perfect example:

They are convinced they have implemented great policy and are big responsible boys because they made the hard but necessary choices. Their electoral collapse is just because people don't quite understand how good their policy has been, but surely a bit more explaining will fix everything.

They also don't have any concrete plans to further or better explain their positions and policies. They do strongly condemn any accusation of elitism, however.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

They are convinced they have implemented great policy and are big responsible boys because they made the hard but necessary choices. Their electoral collapse is just because people don't quite understand how good their policy has been, but surely a bit more explaining will fix everything.

They also don't have any concrete plans to further or better explain their positions and policies. They do strongly condemn any accusation of elitism, however.

Also, literally all of them look like this:

Just doing one thing in all their years in power to reverse neolib policies, like renationalizing the railways, would have made them seem way more sympathetic, but they simply don't give a gently caress about people.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Somewhat surprisingly, recent large-scale research among Dutch voters shows that former PvdA voters at the time of the 2017 elections were not especially unhappy (link in Dutch) with the policy of the PvdA/VVD government, and the electorate as a whole was not especially dissatisfied with the government either. A large part of the loss is attributed to the PvdA's relative overperformance in 2012, the tendency of the junior partner in any coalition to lose votes, and the lack of a popular party leader. So the PvdA did not recapture any of the voters they lost during their period in government, made worse by the government's failure to bring down unemployment fast enough, which especially hurt the PvdA.

I'm not sure I agree with this analysis, but it's not as nobody within the PvdA wants to change. Dijsselbloem is basically history now (thank God), and the new party chairperson calls Jeremy Corbyn an idol. It it is probably too little too late though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I'm not sure I agree with this analysis, but it's not as nobody within the PvdA wants to change. Dijsselbloem is basically history now (thank God), and the new party chairperson calls Jeremy Corbyn an idol. It it is probably too little too late though.

Corbyn will be Prime Minister of the UK and the Nederlands at once. :getin:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Wouldn't be the first time the two have shared a ruler

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm ok if Jeremy Corbyn rules all of Europe, please

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The current composition of our Parliament is as rightwing as it has been in ages, and the Dutch welfare state hasn't yet been broken down to the point that Corbynism could become attractive to Dutch voters.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

And yet William III tends to be completely ignored in Dutch history, never mind that without him we might not even have survived as an independent country. And if raiding the Medway and capturing the flagship of the English Navy was an accomplishment worthy of being remembered, then sailing over an army of 20,000 men in a fleet four times the size of the Spanish Armada and pulling off the only successful invasion of England since 1066 certainly is.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 5, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The current composition of our Parliament is as rightwing as it has been in ages, but the Dutch welfare state hasn't yet been broken down to the point that Corbynism could become attractive to Dutch voters.

The Absolute Boy cares not for political calculus. He stared the truck right in the headlights last year and... well he didn't stop the truck but it kinda veered into a field of wheat and crushed a few toffs, so that was nice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

I'm ok if Jeremy Corbyn Queen Elizabeth II rules all of Europe, please

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's funny how at least one American poster assumed Corbyn's popularity must be solely based on once-in-a-lifetime Obama charisma and not actual policy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Truly this revolution would be glorious.

I'm sure we can find a way to gently caress over Ireland also.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/wheatretard/status/970436583651504132

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I thought the Italian reputation for being utterly incapable of any kind of effective organisation or planning was overblown. But combine that with modern politics...

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Corbyn crowned emperor of all Europe with no democratic controls would probably be better than any of the realistic alternatives we have now

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
t. American who saw john oliver one night
Lmao real hard hitting commentary right here boys

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Should Lega and m5s make a coalition I think they will find common ground in sinking some browns in the mediterranean.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you don't need to be a fan of hubris in this world, but it helps

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/970634809109336064

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Corbyn crowned emperor of all Europe with no democratic controls would probably be better than any of the realistic alternatives we have now
That's why we need to federalize first and nationalize second. No more whining about national champions and sovereignty if everyone gets nationalized at once. If we hurry up it can be done before The Absolute Boy retires.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My favourite thing about those two pictures is they both make him look goofy as hell, especially in that second picture where he looks like he just tried to fart but poo poo his pants.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/970688569353424902

M5S vote share matching up very closely with regional income, as well as with the North/South divide. For all the talk about how euro membership has hurt Italy (and it has), it's not clear that Italy should itself have a single currency if you look at it from an economic point of view.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pluskut Tukker posted:

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/970688569353424902

M5S vote share matching up very closely with regional income, as well as with the North/South divide. For all the talk about how euro membership has hurt Italy (and it has), it's not clear that Italy should itself have a single currency if you look at it from an economic point of view.
Well, I know it's extremely illegal to say this, but monetary policy isn't the only tool governments have to deal with the economy.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, I know it's extremely illegal to say this, but monetary policy isn't the only tool governments have to deal with the economy.

Yes. It. Is.

Otherwise you might suggest that taxation according to income and wealth might be the table, and according to my Milton Friedman Economic Model (TM) that is always wrong.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Italy does a fair amount of redistribution; it just does so rather poorly:

quote:

According to the Istat microsimulation model FaMiMod, in 2016 public policies reduced inequality by 15.1
percentage points of the Gini index: from 45.2 estimated for the primary household income earned on the
market, to 30.1 relating to the disposable income. Pensions and other public transfers have had a greater
redistributive impact (10.8 points) than social security contributions and taxes (4.3 points).
The tax and benefit system improved its position in the income parade for 56.6% of individuals with no or
very low market incomes, belonging to the poorest 20% of the population. At higher levels of market income,
the share of transfers in total gross income decreased whilst that of taxes and social contributions increased,
worsening the position of individuals living in households with the highest market incomes, as it should be
expected in an equality-oriented system, and, besides, of about half of the individuals in the second quintile,
with middle-low household incomes.

(...)

Taxation and the other redistributive policies increased the risk of poverty for the individuals aged 15 to 24
(from 19.7 to 25.3%), for the ones aged 25-34 years (from 17.9 to 20.2%) and, besides, for children younger
than 14 years (from 20.4 to 25.1%).
Some type of households were less protected from the risk of poverty by the welfare system, namely single parents,
young and adult couples with children as well as young singles and young couples without children.

the real reform prescription: kill you're (grand)parents

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 5, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Hasn’t Italy been trying to fix the north-south divide with non-monetary policies for literally 150 years now?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

icantfindaname posted:

Hasn’t Italy been trying to fix the north-south divide with non-monetary policies for literally 150 years now?
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Renzi's resignation 2.0: this time it's For Real.

https://twitter.com/repubblica/status/970712473086119936

I Love Annie May fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 5, 2018