Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bump_fn posted:

lmao i got a blister on my finger from trying to write on a really lovely quality chalkboard im so god drat pampered

ya got city hands mr. bump

been computer poastin all yer life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
home row callouses representin'

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
what kind of poverty ridden shithole doesn't have smart boards everywhere? chalk boards? you might as well be working a human powered mill.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the sad part is i know its becasue it was an exceptionally lovely board, like, you had to press super hard and awkwardly to get the chalk to write. a whiteboard or even a non-trash chalkboard and id be fine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cjs going to vs live instead of work all next week

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs still feeling sick and lovely so imma skip out on the unemployment career appointment thingy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i built a pc 2~3 years ago and it's still running strong but despite running the parts through all the compatibility checkers, the heatsink on the video card is too big for the case so I have to leave the side door hanging open, super lame.

there are probably solutions to this problem but :effort:

just dremel that part off

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I built my PC in 2012 it still runs anything I throw at it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
best picture: newty and the breast

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cjs: took today off, but goofed when i put my vacation on my calendar so I ended up coming to work. guess im not coming in on friday!

cls: toddler jones slept past 7am, it is a good day

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nice

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Achmed Jones posted:

cls: toddler jones slept past 7am, it is a good day

envious as gently caress :mad:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Local train nerds have hundreds of these floating around from the sixties and seventies.

streetcars are cool but they're not very good. anything that blocks or damages the rails snarls up traffic.

what's good and cool is trollybuses. all the best features of a trolley combined with all the best features of a bus. broken rail? no problem -- drive around it. mis-parked car? swerve. etc

i envy the san franciscans for their quiet, non-smoke-belching buses

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Pollyanna posted:

only got a laptop right now

drat

your only hope is to use integrated and subscribe to lowspecgamer

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I bought a 1070 ftw edition for $300 in April 2017 and wow is it worth a lot now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i envy the san franciscans for their quiet, non-smoke-belching buses

it is really quite nice to have the electric buses. once you've gotten accustomed to the quiet thrumming they make, it's really jarring when a diesel tour bus comes by clattering and screaming and blasting heat and smoke

also i bet the electric motor torque is really helpful on the hills

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i bought a gtx 1060 a year ago for $250 and a year later the exact same model is $538

lomarf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i bought a gtx 1060 a year ago for $250 and a year later the exact same model is $538

lomarf

yeah same. i've never paid $300+ for a video card.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gonna liquidate my retirement savings and put it all into cryptocurrency/video cards. gotta diversify.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i got a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti with the water cooling thing built in for $850 in nov now it's $1300 on amazon.

I thought it wasnt even ideal for buttcoins

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the giraffics cards aren't for bitcoin itself, they're for alt-coins, which themselves sometimes get traded for bitcoin

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i sold my 1070 to a goon for 525
i think i paid 400 for it? mining is the stupidest thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

meh https://pcpartpicker.com/user/retrocombine/saved/LXcsJx

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($188.90 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($170.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.20 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $930.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-05 12:24 EST-0500

I have a 850 EVO 500GB for sale if you want it for $120 or something

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
who the gently caress sends these kinda emails

Random Unsolicited Sales Nozzle posted:

Hi James

I've reached out a few times regarding (mycompany)'s DNS and traffic management initiatives but haven't gotten a response. My guess is that we're out of touch for one of three reasons:

1. You don't see a fit now or in the future
2. You have another solution in place that does everything you need it to
3. You are extremely busy and can't spare 10 minutes to chat with me in the foreseeable future

Are any of these accurate? Let me know if this is something we should table off for the next few months.

like yes i manage this poo poo but lol if you expect a response out of me with that tone lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

table off

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Sniep posted:

like yes i manage this poo poo but lol if you expect a response out of me with that tone lol

ive gotten poo poo like that before too. its like some kind of bizarre hard sell.

PUA tactics applied to sales. please neg my inbox.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I bought a 1070 ftw edition for $300 in April 2017 and wow is it worth a lot now

Low mileage graphics card only used by grandma to stream church services

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sniep posted:

just reply back with "no"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

President Beep posted:

ive gotten poo poo like that before too. its like some kind of bizarre hard sell.

PUA tactics applied to sales. please neg my inbox.

The dns method

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

just reply back with "no"

new phone who dis

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

lomarf

I got mine for only $20-30 over MSRP around September, and thought that was kind of crappy. lol. lmao. just fuckin' rofl. if you want a gaming pc now it's actually more cost effective to get a prebuilt

Sniep posted:

a staggeringly huge rear end in a top hat, wow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

still not as bad as my friend in florida who keeps naming her children after final fantasy characters

and I thought my friend naming her cats after final fantasy characters was bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

GrIMP, OddEYE, OCHO, supper time!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sniep posted:

fuckin Pacific Office Automation loves to try the hard sell poo poo too. i got this guy that calls every few months wanting to make a pitch and promising he'll lower our print costs by like 15%. last time i said "okay well like i said when we first talked, we've got a printer fleet that's all paid for and i know the site managers aren't gonna give up their little workgroup printers, but if you can promise me lower toner costs then send me an email with some pricing and let's go from there."

didn't hear back from him (of course), and then last week i get another call from him. 'i know you're really busy but if you could spare just five minutes for a face-to-face i've got some numbers we could go over' - no sorry, i'm pretty slammed this week, but if you can shoot me your info in an email i'll review it (b/c hey if he can actually beat toner pricing i'm willing to buy from him, but of course that's not what he's after - he wants to get us hooked on some multi-year leasing contract where they auto-raise their rates a few percent every year*) - and he comes back with some bullshit about "well i worked really hard on this presentation, i just need ten minutes of your time"

oh so not only are you unable AND unwilling to send me information in the format i requested, but your demands on my time just doubled? gently caress you buddy.

next time he calls i'm sending him to the world's worst best hold message ever (it's even worse better when it's downsampled for phone quality!!)

*know a guy who used to work there in their IT services dept, he said that's their standard tactic - get 'em hooked on a decent initial rate and then jack the prices each year

akadajet posted:

and I thought my friend naming her cats after final fantasy characters was bad

i know a couple who named their kid after a Wheel of Time character

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

maybe i will wait for the bitcoin craze to die down before building a new computer.

youre waiting at the very least until november, this much is known for sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

i dont know what im doing lol

ask pc building greaythread, its p good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i built a pc 2~3 years ago and it's still running strong but despite running the parts through all the compatibility checkers, the heatsink on the video card is too big for the case so I have to leave the side door hanging open, super lame.

there are probably solutions to this problem but :effort:

the solution here sounds like custom water cooling loop for your gpu, that would allow you to replace heatsing with much smaller waterblock

or you could by a new case

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

thank you for being culturally inclusive

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know a couple who named their kid after a Wheel of Time character

oh god i'm afraid to know which

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c gpu s: i bought 6gb non-oc 1060 for $360 in january 2018