Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Vermintide 2 on sale for $25 at Humble - https://www.humblebundle.com/store/warhammer-vermintide-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

Elf voice for rats
Rat voice for elf

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

It was about $24 when I looked at it, but then I remembered I was logged on with my Monthly Bundle discount active. I logged out and it is the same price on steam.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Right, I should probably stop crafting before burning all my materials on figuring out what this math isn't working out. My Saltzpyre was doing less damage on pistol shots and flail swipes when equipped with higher power-levelled weapons.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Right, I should probably stop crafting before burning all my materials on figuring out what this math isn't working out. My Saltzpyre was doing less damage on pistol shots and flail swipes when equipped with higher power-levelled weapons.

Which weapons tho? Some weapons just do more damage than others.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

Could be traits? I don't know if the target dummies have any particular classes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The dummies are actually broken so I wouldn't count on them providing proper numbers right now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Which weapons tho? Some weapons just do more damage than others.

Same ones, flail and pistols. See my earlier post, the same poo poo was happening with a higher-level Kruber's executioner sword doing less damage than the old one.

Stanley Pain posted:

The dummies are actually broken so I wouldn't count on them providing proper numbers right now.

They are? Well, drat. At least the weapons I crafted had some good traits on them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

What the hell? Crafted a new 181 executioner's sword for Huntsman Kruber to replace his old 151 ES. It raises his hero power from 292 to 298. However, it does less damage, with the best case scenario (crit heavy headshot) having a difference of 1k damage (6k old vs 7k new)?

Muddying the waters even more, his blunderbuss has no damage difference between the two swords? The hell is going on?

EDIT: Now the same thing's happening with Saltzpyre and a new set of pistols. What's up with this math?

Power level gets even more fun when you consider that all the bad poo poo I’ve said about it hasn’t even been run through the Fatshark Uncertainty Factor yet

(i know it’s a beta, I’m kidding)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good old one-handed shieldless Kruber mace, you were my ratstick in 1, you'll be my ratstick in 2.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know if they're so much "broken" as they "don't work very well".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I really wonder how everything's gonna shake out as the game matures. There's so many obviously broken things in this game that baffle me, which makes me think they're more focused on making things work than making things fair.
Although I realllly think hero power is a mistake. It's going to change the nature of the game completely, and make balancing along the experience very difficult. It's maybe my only worry, because it's a fundamental part of the gameplay that obfuscates differences in character loadouts and means there's no way to depower yourself. In V1 you could always throw on worse items. There's lots linked to it, but that can be changed(like having a power level to get into difficulties), but its presence will always be there and will make things confusing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Grondoth posted:

I really wonder how everything's gonna shake out as the game matures. There's so many obviously broken things in this game that baffle me, which makes me think they're more focused on making things work than making things fair.
Although I realllly think hero power is a mistake. It's going to change the nature of the game completely, and make balancing along the experience very difficult. It's maybe my only worry, because it's a fundamental part of the gameplay that obfuscates differences in character loadouts and means there's no way to depower yourself. In V1 you could always throw on worse items. There's lots linked to it, but that can be changed(like having a power level to get into difficulties), but its presence will always be there and will make things confusing.

I mean there are ways to reduce its impact on the game. You could reduce the raw number inflation of higher difficulties, focusing instead on making enemies more aggressive or unfair. You could increase the baseline competency of 0 HPow characters and reduce the effects of HPow at each milestone (whatever they are; every 50 power seems to equate to a bump in damage and presumably push/penetration). Without clear access to numbers (the dummies are broken) it's sort of impossible to say how it impacts the game right now. I mean I know a level 20 character cakewalks through recruit, but is that a function of hero power, talents, skill, weapon traits, or what?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

It was about $24 when I looked at it, but then I remembered I was logged on with my Monthly Bundle discount active. I logged out and it is the same price on steam.

Oh god damnit. Sorry. :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth posted:

I prefer working games vs. fair games in pretty much any/all aspects. I'm not to fussed that there are broken things in a co-op game either. Fatshark also have a good track record for fixing things. I don't see how powerlevel will make it more difficult to balance anything. I'd go as far and say it *should* do the opposite. Right now I think the biggest problems are things just not working as intended from a coding perspective. With the large balance sweeps they've done in the recent patches they seem to be on top of the most egregiously broken things.

Currently they've made one of the best rat/man smash games. Problems begin to arise depending on where on the min/max spectrum you fall ;)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well the weird thing is, if you presume it's implemented well, hero power will probably make balancing easier for Fatshark, but make it harder for players.

i talked about this a bit in the discord a couple nights ago, but when you have the VT1 setup, the issue you run into is that as you add permutations of heroes and equipment evaluated against each threat you present, mathematically the entire situation gets out of hand extremely quickly. if you instead set up weapons such that they are to adhere to their tags rather than some obscure design document that came out about the weapon months or even years ago, you can punt on the specific mathematics of the implementation if you have a sliding scale like hero power. a crowd control weapon should, at x hero power, knock y dudes. a high damage weapon should, at z hero power, kill a in b hits and c in d hits. this doesn't really reduce the number of meaningful choices since the combinations of tags are always different per character. this makes it really easy to go 'ah, norscans are too heavy right now because at 200 hero power, the crowd control weapons are only knocking down 2 of them before getting stuck - they should be able to handle 4 before that happens' or whatever have you. you can then make the focused change that you have isolated (whatever that is), test it quickly with an appropriate hero/tag combination, and call it good - it will affect both Kruber's hammer and Bardin's axe/shield similarly since they both have Crowd Control on them.

this is a pretty nice deal for the developers since it becomes much easier to reason about when something is wrong and what it should do; it's exactly the sort of environment i would try to build if i was in charge since it means i can make balance changes quicker, safer, and with lower impact. but for players, these breakpoints aren't public or easily discernable, so for them, things just start magically working at a certain point and they're not sure why or what happened - and that's really the thing that needs to change. again, even if it's just the courtyard allowing you to spawn illusory, passive enemies instead of using the dummies, i feel like that would be enough. being able to just play with your gear and build in a somewhat real setting would pretty much eliminate all the big problems with hero power right now because at least all the details would be discoverable. right now, they're just not.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If Fatshark is able to pull a Creative Assembly and mess with the Endtimes canon a bit, I hope the franchise finale involves boarding a dwarf/lizardmen spaceship to the Moon to sabatoge the Skaven's "pull a massive satellite from orbit" scheme. Obviously everyone will need ridiculous-looking fantasy spacesuits covered in skulls for this to work.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Think I'm gonna be using this for a while. :getin:

You really really really want Heat Sink instead of resourceful sharpshooter, because that staff is The Pyromancer Staff and the pyro's active is a) always up, and b) the thing you use when you've shot so much primary fire that you've finally triggered the 1:100 odds of finally running up 4 heat stacks, so you lock your active onto some mook for 3-4 trueflight headshots on the closest threats venting your heat enough to restart the cycle.

now cooldown reduction trait on melee with crit chance.... :getin:

Coolguye posted:

this is a pretty nice deal for the developers since it becomes much easier to reason about when something is wrong and what it should do; it's exactly the sort of environment i would try to build if i was in charge since it means i can make balance changes quicker, safer, and with lower impact. but for players, these breakpoints aren't public or easily discernable, so for them, things just start magically working at a certain point and they're not sure why or what happened - and that's really the thing that needs to change. again, even if it's just the courtyard allowing you to spawn illusory, passive enemies instead of using the dummies, i feel like that would be enough. being able to just play with your gear and build in a somewhat real setting would pretty much eliminate all the big problems with hero power right now because at least all the details would be discoverable. right now, they're just not.

Yes, 100%. I liked the dummies when I found them, but they aren't nearly comprehensive enough to illustrate all the breakpoints that you really REALLY need to know for even low level Veteran runs to be enjoyable.

And while we're on it, they did such a good job of having different builds be able to do different things, and the levels have done a lot to live up to the hype of variable types of enemy spawn within certain predictable parameters each time your run a level and the implications of it. Pain n' Grain reliably has a shitload of armored dudes and bosses but lets you take your time killing both since there's no real time limit, Mind your Manor necessitates you have an expeditious answer for lots of chunky sports fans during the wagon as well as reliable boss killing on a timer in the finale, Camp Nurgle needs you to handle the unique boss in some kind of fashion while also addressing swarms of berzerkers who are actually the thing that'll kill you in that part and also the battering ram before it, and so on and so on.

so why for the love of piss can't i change my loadout after spawning in the level i'm quickplaying. please, please let me sanity check my setup for the level i just found out i'm playing before i trigger my first adds :(

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 5, 2018

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Would rocking the zealot talent reducing damage when below 30% synergize with holding two grims? Basically does holding grims count as lower max health or permanent damage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
that's a fantastic question but it should be easy to test. pop onto a recruit game, get two grims and go take like a single hit. one of the VERY GOOD things about VT2 is that effects all show up in your lower left hand corner now so you should be able to tell the instant it goes active.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Willie Tomg posted:

You really really really want Heat Sink instead of resourceful sharpshooter, because that staff is The Pyromancer Staff and the pyro's active is a) always up, and b) the thing you use when you've shot so much primary fire that you've finally triggered the 1:100 odds of finally running up 4 heat stacks, so you lock your active onto some mook for 3-4 trueflight headshots on the closest threats venting your heat enough to restart the cycle.

now cooldown reduction trait on melee with crit chance.... :getin:

Eh, I actually have that one as well, and I much prefer the reduced cooldown, as you can just fire away all day and never hit the overheat mark, as well as take out any special that comes your way every 5 seconds.

With the "Remove overheat on ability use" trait, of course.

Edit: Also, I literally don't have to use melee at all with this setup, other than for blocking.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 5, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Digirat posted:

I have not reached the point where I can do this but allegedly fire grandma’s broken setup is a bolt staff with as much crit chance as possible and the effect that makes you vent some heat on a crit

*rerolls bolt staff trait for 10th time, gets 5% power for 5 seconds on consecutive attacks AGAIN*

still waiting to try that one out!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, whatever that patch was, it fixed the inconsistent damage scaling. Also whatever miniscule jump in hero power I crafted up didn't change an iota of damage so it was technically a waste.

Oh well, it's cool. I suppose I should return to my old philosophy of "craft only when you can generate items with around a multiple of 50 power level". Also settled on the Falchion for the Zealot; the attack speed difference is too good when it comes to proccing crits and whatnot, and I can't believe it even goes through shielded enemies unlike the 2H sword.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

https://www.gamebillet.com/warhammer-vermintide-2

22.50, it doesn't get any better than this :getin:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

my hot take on hero powers with like 8 or 9 hours of playtime in the pre-release beta:

depending on how heroic deeds stack up and shake out, players being "overpowered" is okay (tho I have no idea if they can manage to balance between the classes/talent trees, that may be a longer term thing) because some of the heroic deeds are gonna be theoretically super gnarly. all I know is they can straight up disable some weapon types and the preview picture for them on the sight has bardin fighting two chaos beasts, so uh, it's probably okay if huntsman can bring down a troll in 3 seconds if you're fighting multiple at the same time.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Minrad posted:

my hot take on hero powers with like 8 or 9 hours of playtime in the pre-release beta:

depending on how heroic deeds stack up and shake out, players being "overpowered" is okay (tho I have no idea if they can manage to balance between the classes/talent trees, that may be a longer term thing) because some of the heroic deeds are gonna be theoretically super gnarly. all I know is they can straight up disable some weapon types and the preview picture for them on the sight has bardin fighting two chaos beasts, so uh, it's probably okay if huntsman can bring down a troll in 3 seconds if you're fighting multiple at the same time.

Yes but the problem is that if huntsman is MANDATORY for certain things - and something as generic as 'killing bosses' is a little broad for that - you've got a serious balance problem. "Let this one build be broken to make the game's unmanagable difficulty much easier" isn't really an argument in favor of anti-balance.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well, glad to see people still do dumb things.

Elf chugs a speed potion with nothing in sight just to pick up a concentration potion. I'm at 1hp white life and a Saltzpyre at half health grabs the only med kit we've seen in the level to use on himself at half hp. Instead of waiting for me to respawn in a safe zone, they jump into the nurgle pit. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Stormfiend happily backing into a corner where no-one can get at his back rat is really loving annoying.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Slayer Bardin is kind of rear end, his dual axes deal tons of damage but only hit one enemy each, and on higher difficulties cant one-shot plague zombies so enjoy getting stabbed by the other 19 that survived your flurry. He would be good at killing monsters but Kruber exists, he would be good at killing hordes but Ironbreaker does just as well with a better active and more utility. The lack of a ranged weapon is also too much of a malus to overcome without seriously overpowering him, i feel.

I personally have found no use for the little ball of rage, which is too bad since the class is fun as hell to play.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Minrad posted:

https://www.gamebillet.com/warhammer-vermintide-2

22.50, it doesn't get any better than this :getin:

I am assuming that the site is legit? A quick google search doesn't bring up anything alarming at least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Slayer being poor against a horde and baller against large monsters is sweet, but you're right that huntsman koob can just do both and not break a sweat with a halberd and handgun/shotgun.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I am assuming that the site is legit? A quick google search doesn't bring up anything alarming at least.

Yeah a friend and i both got our keys from it, and I've been seeing them getting good press on Reddit (for what that's worth) the past year.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Server crash on a veteran run of War Camp, right at the end. Got my experience but no loot :negative:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
What is the most physics-y option in the new game in terms of sending rats flying? Kruber with a maul?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JBP posted:

Slayer being poor against a horde and baller against large monsters is sweet, but you're right that huntsman koob can just do both and not break a sweat with a halberd and handgun/shotgun.

Slayer can take two melee weapons, just take a sweeping weapon for dealing with hordes like either of the maces. One hand mace in particular cleans up hordes real nice.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BombiTheZombie posted:

Slayer Bardin is kind of rear end, his dual axes deal tons of damage but only hit one enemy each, and on higher difficulties cant one-shot plague zombies so enjoy getting stabbed by the other 19 that survived your flurry. He would be good at killing monsters but Kruber exists, he would be good at killing hordes but Ironbreaker does just as well with a better active and more utility. The lack of a ranged weapon is also too much of a malus to overcome without seriously overpowering him, i feel.

I personally have found no use for the little ball of rage, which is too bad since the class is fun as hell to play.

You need more power level. X, whatever X might be, always feels kinda poo poo until you pump up the power level to a breakeven point we don't know what it is because its communicated unclearly by the game for each difficulty level

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

so each individual item goes up to 300, or does it all cumulative total to like 300 on my hero sheet, cuz it's vaguely unclear...??

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Minrad posted:

so each individual item goes up to 300, or does it all cumulative total to like 300 on my hero sheet, cuz it's vaguely unclear...??

Gear earned from recruit maxes at 100, Veteran at 200, Champion at 300, I think. Your power level is determined by your level (10 power per level, I think) plus the average power of your gear

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

You need more power level. X, whatever X might be, always feels kinda poo poo until you pump up the power level to a breakeven point we don't know what it is because its communicated unclearly by the game for each difficulty level

Weird thing is, i am at power 365 / level 13. The training dummy shows my axes doing 800 damage a hit, but they stop dead in their tracks on hitting two targets. Im assuming the second target gets 50% of the damage if V1 is anything to go by.

I think the axes just don't have any penetration by design, they certainly have far less than even a one handed axe does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Minrad posted:

Each item goes up to 300 individually, but the amount that your items add to your hero power is an average of all of your items' power. So if you have 5 Power 100 items equipped you get +100 hero power, but if you have 2 Power 100 items and 3 Power 50 items you only get +70 hero power.

The max hero power is 600; 300 from being level 30 and 300 from having 5 power 300 items equipped.

• Locked thread