Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Kraken posted:

I need a break from Subnautica so I'm gonna buy ITB

I'm going in blind but I'm sure my 280 hours of FTL mastery will ensure I effortlessly crush the game on my first try :smug:

On the one hand lol/quoting for posterity, but on the other ITB is quite a lot less RNG fuckery than FTL for actually getting a clear so good luck

And enjoy it, it's a fantastic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks.

Reminds me I need to get a new vacuum sealer though, mine's on the blink. drat.

I've never owned a vacuum sealer. If you use a ziplock bag, seal it except for one small opening, and slowly submerge it in water the pressure will force the air out. You'll have to do some massaging to get all the air bubbles out but it's just as good and saves a couple bucks on specialized baggies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

al-azad posted:

I've never owned a vacuum sealer. If you use a ziplock bag, seal it except for one small opening, and slowly submerge it in water the pressure will force the air out. You'll have to do some massaging to get all the air bubbles out but it's just as good and saves a couple bucks on specialized baggies.

Yeah it's less the sous vide part and more the freezing part, I seemed years ago to be able to magically transmute chicken into pure Freezer Burn with ziplocs :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/970717241573441536

What MMORPG is this?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

What the

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was Ganon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

with the timeline

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

in my basement

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

don't look up the actual rules because they're much more disappointing than just pretending Tingle is a murderer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"pretending"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grey Fox posted:

don't look up the actual rules because they're much more disappointing than just pretending Tingle is a murderer

but what if tingle is the hero of time

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it was ganon in the water temple with the gust jar

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only thing tingle murdered was the pacing in the midgame of wind waker

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The pixel art for the killer alien bugs in ITB is way too cute.

I know the portraits show what they really look like but I'm having way more fun pretending this gritty armored mechs are fighting googly eyed murder bugs.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I played Clue for the first (and only) time with someone who had played Clue a billion times and it was a miserable experience and so in conclusion gently caress Clue, it sucks, Sorry! is a better board game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would say it was probably Link with the Master Sword at Ganon's Castle but what do I know

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every "classic" board game sucks and Clue is no exception

There's some old ones that don't suck like Diplomacy but they aren't popular enough to be classics

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was hoping they would have done something like the new Mario Monopoly for Gamers where you get powerups and fight bosses and poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this bad boy had the best board games

especially Roundabouts and Hasami Shogi, fight me

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oh yeah the real classics like Chess, Go, Backgammon, etc can be good. I meant like the 20th century classics like Risk and Monopoly all suck

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Every "classic" board game sucks and Clue is no exception

There's some old ones that don't suck like Diplomacy but they aren't popular enough to be classics

I'd say Stratego is the one mass produced big box "classic" that still holds up.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wish they'd localize that new Fortune Street, it's the only way to make Monopoly palatable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished RE5 today...hell of a arc on that game, which starts as the most generic looking late-2000s modern military shooter and ends with wesker exploding his own chest open in a volcano and screaming about the future of human evolutionary potentials. i wound up liking this game a lot more than I thought i would after the first hour i spent with the game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skull kid, the moon, termina

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I always feel kind of bad for Monopoly because everyone loving hates it, but from what I understand the game if played by the rules as written is really brisk. It's just no one actually follows those rules and makes up tons of new ones that slow the game down and drag it out. I'm still not sure if it's actually a good game but it's not the game that everyone hates either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Was axis and allies any good?

Also, I can't hate on Clue because without Clue, we would not have had the Clue movie and that movie is just absolutely wonderful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

I always feel kind of bad for Monopoly because everyone loving hates it, but from what I understand the game if played by the rules as written is really brisk. It's just no one actually follows those rules and makes up tons of new ones that slow the game down and drag it out. I'm still not sure if it's actually a good game but it's not the game that everyone hates either.

You gotta remember that monopoly was also specifically designed as a critique of why capitalism is bad, so it was designed to be not fun and it managed to take off anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Monopoly played as written is really fast but not fun in the slightest. Monopoly as people actually play it is unfun and glacially slow

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Clue FFX, where an al bhed is murdered. It's a very short game because the culprit is always Wakka, with the blitzball.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's that Doki Doki Kingdom game or whatever the RPG board game is called? You want some slow rear end random unfair poo poo play that game. Cute graphics though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

100% Orange Juice is both fast and incredibly fair.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My favorite board game is Castles of Burgundy, which has the main gameplay mechanic of using randomness to limit your options so your goal is to figure out the best you can do with what the dice gave you each turn

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best board game is Battle Othello from EHRGEIZ: GOD BLESS THE RING, which was just normal othello but you could beat your opponent up to stop them from placing a piece.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Surprisingly, Jim Sterling is not a size queen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsEDhuDssZw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Twilight Struggle is the best board game of the Modern Era

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

100% Orange Juice is both fast and incredibly fair.

Disclaimer: it is incredibly fair by being incredibly unfair to everybody.

Definitely very fast though. That's what makes it so much fun.

The randomness is to such a degree that I managed to win even though I was playing a joke character with poo poo stats and no powers and no special abilities to win. I just had a decent enough deck loadout and did well enough luck-wise to win.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Twilight Struggle is the best board game of the Modern Era

Also has a good video game conversion that takes out all the messy work of calculating points.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Was axis and allies any good?
axis and allies is kind of a nightmare because its pretty clearly meant to be "Risk but Crunchier" instead of trying to be a good wargame in its own right. and their approach to crunch was making combat much more complicated (but still entirely predicated by dice rolls), adding a bunch of edge cases that require consulting charts and tables constantly, and just generally making everything take a lot longer procedurally but not really introducing any interesting mechanics to think about and strategize with. I'd still probably rather play A&A than vanilla risk though

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

My favorite board game is Castles of Burgundy, which has the main gameplay mechanic of using randomness to limit your options so your goal is to figure out the best you can do with what the dice gave you each turn

This is the correct answer. CoB is really good and incredibly easy to understand due to the excellent design pointers to actions and scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

al-azad posted:

What's that Doki Doki Kingdom game or whatever the RPG board game is called? You want some slow rear end random unfair poo poo play that game. Cute graphics though.
that's dokapon + they should make a new dokapon

• Locked thread