Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

That link reminds me of all the good posters who used to post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
poetry

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Goddamn that story is so old and I still think about it daily. Blarzgh wasn't even married when was posted and now he has a kid. Toona hadn't even hosed his study partner and divorced his second wife.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Goddamn that story is so old and I still think about it daily. Blarzgh wasn't even married when was posted and now he has a kid. Toona hadn't even hosed his study partner and divorced his second wife.

I was on my honeymoon when that was posted.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

nm posted:

That link reminds me of all the good posters who used to post here.

Got sucked in and read the next 10 pages after the story.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

nm posted:

Then there's this guy who fought the DNA test for years:
https://www.texastribune.org/library/multimedia/john-bradley-texas-prosecutor-asserts-change-of-heart/

Bradley ended up in Palau, BTW.

If you fight DNA tests as a DA, you're a loving rear end in a top hat.

Special place in hell reserved for Bradley. Probably adjacent to corporate attorneys like me who push papers around for a living.

Shortly after all of this went down and right before I headed off to law school I tried to read John Grisham's non-fiction book Innocent Man. I couldn't finish it because it was so upsetting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Man, I miss getting all the hot-to-trot "I'm gonna be a lawyer because I like to argue, wow ya'll are just a bunch of grumpy assholes" posters that used to stop by every now and then.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Man, I miss getting all the hot-to-trot "I'm gonna be a lawyer because I like to argue, wow ya'll are just a bunch of grumpy assholes" posters that used to stop by every now and then.

The truth came out that this a terrible, terrible loving job.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Lol if you aren't listening to master of puppets while finding ways to deny old ladies insurance claims

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

CaptainScraps posted:

I have three younger cousins asking about law school and none of them want to be lawyers, which is an even stupider conversation. "Don't do it. If you want to be a lawyer go to law school, otherwise do not go to law school."

One of them started prepping for the LSAT last year and (I'm guessing) realized he was going to struggle to get a 150. He had already scored really low on the GRE so naturally he enrolled in some masters in PR program that doesn't require the GRE. :doh:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
One of my friends is giving up a nice stable career with the us govt dept of labor where she makes upper 5 figs to go to a tier 3 law school and I just want to scream at her. She's going to do night school as well over 4 years because: i dont know. god damnit i'm angry about this

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 2, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Flutieflakes017 posted:

I have three younger cousins asking about law school and none of them want to be lawyers, which is an even stupider conversation. "Don't do it. If you want to be a lawyer go to law school, otherwise do not go to law school."

One of them started prepping for the LSAT last year and (I'm guessing) realized he was going to struggle to get a 150. He had already scored really low on the GRE so naturally he enrolled in some masters in PR program that doesn't require the GRE. :doh:

One of my younger cousins is saving up money to get a tattoo removed, and asked me if he could claim disability to get extra money for it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mastershakeman posted:

She's going to do night school as well over 4 years because: i dont know.

You do night school because you have a mortgage already.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The Senior Partner put his pencil down and looked up, and the Warszawa smiled.

"The S comes before the Z," said the Senior Partner, a playful glint in his eyes. He laughed, holding up the pad of yellow lined paper they'd been working on since midnight. Line after line, page after page, the young catamite's name scrawled again and again in graphite but every time spelled wrong...until now.

"I hear from the junior partners that you have personal goals," said the Senior Partner as he rolled his leather executive chair around the desk. The Partner's legs fit perfectly around the Warszawa's, two knobby sharkskin knees against the young man's Tom Ford-clad thighs. "Tell me about them."

The Warszawa licked his lips. This was as good a time as any, the sky outside the Senior Patner's windows a deep purple as the sun threatened to rise. The Warszawa slowly slipped to his knees and thought how far he'd come, how few others could say they'd seen their name spelled correctly on the Partner's pad.

"I do have a goal," he said, looking up into the Partner's face. "And that goal is yourggllmfffgglllllffff..."

This actually needs to be quoted, and also be the thread title because holy hell.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

blarzgh posted:

I guarantee there are at least a few lurking but if we wanted a couple more posters we could just finally kick off a new thread (bonus points for including "catamite" in the title).

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Special place in hell reserved for Bradley. Probably adjacent to corporate attorneys like me who push papers around for a living.

Shortly after all of this went down and right before I headed off to law school I tried to read John Grisham's non-fiction book Innocent Man. I couldn't finish it because it was so upsetting.

'Sup fellow corporate law peon

I haven't learned any law since starting in September, I've just been drafting signature pages

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

disjoe posted:

'Sup fellow corporate law peon

I haven't learned any law since starting in September, I've just been drafting signature pages

For me it's less things like "drafting signature pages" and more "reading things other people don't want to read."

You practice Corporate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-WspjEu90&t=4s

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Flutieflakes017 posted:

For me it's less things like "drafting signature pages" and more "reading things other people don't want to read."

You practice Corporate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-WspjEu90&t=4s

Yeah in Texas. Oil & Gas 4 lyfe (which I mean literally because the ocean levels will rise and consume all of us).

I feel like a disproportionate number of the posters here practice in Texas.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

disjoe posted:

Yeah in Texas. Oil & Gas 4 lyfe (which I mean literally because the ocean levels will rise and consume all of us).

I feel like a disproportionate number of the posters here practice in Texas.

Nah. The Texans are just disproportionately loud.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kalman posted:

Nah. The Texans are just disproportionately loud.

What'd you say about texas

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What'd you say about texas

Texans! LOUD!? Shoot. I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard!

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Nothing but steers and loud cheers

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

OH poo poo THE RODEO

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've never been to a rodeo but it sounds like a good time. one of the many reasons Chicago sucks is there's no county fair for that kind of stuff

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’d write more but I’m too busy getting my fountain pen squeezed by my puer delicatus

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Puer delicatus is a good burn.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

My firm now has an Austin office and you bastards are making me homesick. I'll have to come home for a week and work from there. And eat tacos.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

mastershakeman posted:

One of my friends is giving up a nice stable career with the us govt dept of labor where she makes upper 5 figs to go to a tier 3 law school and I just want to scream at her. She's going to do night school as well over 4 years because: i dont know. god damnit i'm angry about this

My cousin is going to a T4 law school despite my best efforts. He’s a 1L, so reality hasn’t hit yet. But it will.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I've successfully chased off a couple of folks and my sister from the law school death trap so if nothing else that will warm my soul.

On the other hand I had a friend go in after repeated warnings and then message me in her 2L year going "why didn't I listen oh god"

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Law students, some advice: finish all sentences before filing your pleadings (client’s name redacted)

Also gramer is you’re friend

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Additional advice: using 2 or 3 other people to help edit is usually worth it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The first motion I ever filed had my coworker's name at the top because I stole it from him, and also had the wrong court in the caption.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

My firm now has an Austin office and you bastards are making me homesick. I'll have to come home for a week and work from there. And eat tacos.

Tacos flats on Burnet is a good place to check out if you’ve been gone a few years...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Law students, some advice: finish all sentences before filing your pleadings (client’s name redacted)

Also gramer is you’re friend

This makes me feel better about myself. Post more things like that.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Guys, I think I have become the enemy. I ordered my first document review project today and I'm trying not to be annoyed that the contract attorney team can't start on Monday but has to start on Tuesday for reasons.

Is this what it feels like when you realize you have no soul?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Texas is Best

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

Omerta posted:

My cousin is going to a T4 law school despite my best efforts. He’s a 1L, so reality hasn’t hit yet. But it will.

On the plus side there's a decent chance the school could close down before he graduates!

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Omerta posted:

Update, one of my lovely cousins has decided to go to New York to do improv comedy instead. Everybody wins!

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
anyone out there have a list of opposing counsel, judges, and other-lawyers-who-gently caress-up-your-cases-through-their-outrageously-moronic-litigation-strategies that you hope drop dead, that you recite to yourself every night before sleep a la Arya Stark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/foxonabox_/status/970800440836149248?s=21