Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like people are starting to rip stuff outta Ion Maiden already. From zdoom forums:

quote:

I can't believe I have to do this - but it seems like people can't help treating a game using a classic engine as a resource instead of an actual game - especially only less than 48 hours after its preview version was released.

First of all, yes, I know I can't stop resource rips of that game, and it's not what I am trying to do. The creators of that game are all modders like we are and they know full well what will inevitably happen. Second of all, I also know and understand that not everyone's enjoyment of a game is the game itself. If for whatever reason you just can't stand the Build engine or something, that's not my business.

But the way people are going about it like it's okay to just rip resources from it the moment it comes out - even directly in the project's thread - especially when over half of the Voidpoint development team are actually members on our forum is absolutely disgraceful. It shows that you don't care they made a game, you just want to know what the game can do to benefit you, personally. Some of you very people would be absolutely ticked if someone stole your monster/character sprites or gun sprites from the Spriting Carnival thread, and started using it in their game without your permission! And yet you're doing it yourselves, right here.

Prior to this post, we at least gave people one ignorance "free pass" before giving them a warning, but that ends now. Your first warning is now this post.

So from this point forward, until otherwise decided by the administration, all such posts will result in an instant warning and possibly a ban depending on the severity. At least give the game some time to be - well, you know, a game - before you start treating it as a resource mine. Just because Build is not your engine of choice does not make this any more excusable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

anatomi posted:

We've been getting back into Quake quite a bit lately, mostly co-op stuff. But lag and packet losses are bumming us out. We're all using Quakespasm or Mark V. Is there a magical engine or solution that'll fix multiplayer issues when playing stuff like AD? We're using Tunngle to set up a virtual LAN, but maybe it's worth it to sort out port forwarding?

Please don't use Tunngle. Although this likely isn't causing your problems it's just unnecessary if you set it up correctly.

In AD, all of the individual particle effects and shotgun pellets are entities. Entities are things like players, and monsters. These are not ran client side and are all networked. Quake was never ever designed to network that much crap, but it's ok in single player. AD lets you turn a lot of that stuff off in multiplayer, please read the AD readme and make sure you do this first!

Quakespasm and MarkV are both "Netquake" engines. Netquake, aka the original quake release in 1996, was only ever designed to be played over LANs smoothly. It does not have clientside prediction or clever delta networking.
Quakeworld was released to combat this. However, stock QW doesn't have coop, and AD is also a Netquake, not QW, mod.

Luckily, we are in the land of many modern sourceports.

FTE is a modern Quake engine, that supports both QW + NQ in one engine. It can run NQ mods with its own enhanced network protocol that should be much smoother. This is my first suggestion.
http://fte.triptohell.info/

There is also http://fte.triptohell.info/moodles/qss/, which is Quakespasm-Spiked, Quakespasm modified by the developer of FTE with some additional features ported over from FTE, including better networking.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

Honestly I feel like Prey is a better heir to System Shock than Bioshock was

This is pretty much the coldest possible take, considering nearly everyone agrees Prey is System Shock 3. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bioshock is a more accurate representation of what System Shock was imo, but Prey is evidence that having something of its own to add besides the setting makes it better. Bioshock is a logical extension; Prey is the logical endpoint.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I was going to hold off on Ion Maiden until payday but then noticed the early buyer discount expires in 2 days and... well gently caress it I was looking for an excuse to be honest. This game is loving brilliant and I've had more fun with it in the first 15 minutes than I have with almost any other modern FPS in about 10 years...

BTW how the hell do I get in the red door sections in the first level? Looks like there's some cool stuff there.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

anatomi posted:

We're using Tunngle to set up a virtual LAN, but maybe it's worth it to sort out port forwarding?

This can be where part your problem is. Tunngle tries whatever it can to establish a connection, and this includes using relays. You are not guaranteed to have a direct connection to the host, and this can create way too much overhead.

Edit: c0burn beat me to it. I should have clicked next page. :downs:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 6, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know people who claimed to have openly wept upon finishing Bioshock Infinite. I didn't beat it but I know what happens at the end (or rather I used to know, I've since forgotten because it was extremely convoluted).

Am I the weirdo for rolling my eyes? I'm as emotional about media as anyone else, I've cried at movies, and know that, as a dad with two sons, A Tale of Two Brothers might wreck me for a bit (haven't played yet), but... Infinite? Really?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 6, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the good ending to bioshock was far more touching.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't actually remember how Infinite ended. I think it was something about the cyclical nature of violence?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final act of Bioshock Infinite's story ruins what is otherwise a solid game, premise, and world up until that point and it sucks the big one. I really liked it until a little past the middle and then I was hit real hard with a case of the "oh."s.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't actually remember how Infinite ended. I think it was something about the cyclical nature of violence?

Ken Levine jerks off to completion and then the credits roll

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best ending in Bioshock is the neutral ending in the second game where Delta dies leaving his daughter all alone. Not sappy happy, not viciously evil, just a sad end to a story that could never have a happy ending.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

my favorite part of the bioshock infinite thread was a goon who didn't get booker and comstock were the same person until the drowning scene at the VERY end. i told him i'd had my hunch when it showed a poster with your scarred hand earlier on and knew for certain when slate was yelling about comstock not being at the battles in the hall of heroes (battles you were at). i just assumed comstock was a future you and something would happen in the game that turned you evil not that it was an alternate dimension version of you. i think my idea woulda made a more interesting narrative.

also the original idea they showed seemed way more interesting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Samuel Clemens posted:

A very over the top depressing twist sort of thing happens, with some stark imagery. It's pulpy and weird I guess, an unexpected ending, at least how it played out, memorable at least I'd say. I have a Bioshock Infinite poster on my wall from Newbury Comics. For that style of game (the ol' cinematic linear FPS adventure), it's one of the better ones in the last decade or so for me.

The twist / unexpected thing for me being the drowning murder, more so than the bigger thing.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 6, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know people who claimed to have openly wept upon finishing Bioshock Infinite. I didn't beat it but I know what happens at the end (or rather I used to know, I've since forgotten because it was extremely convoluted).

Am I the weirdo for rolling my eyes? I'm as emotional about media as anyone else, I've cried at movies, and know that, as a dad with two sons, A Tale of Two Brothers might wreck me for a bit (haven't played yet), but... Infinite? Really?

No, it's really easy to get my eyes wet, and Infinite... did not. I found Infinite to be fun, but the story to be way less than stellar, none of the emotional bits landed, and I wish they'd just dropped the personal story and focused on a weird 1910's looting tech and culture from alternate universes. Shadow Warrior 2013 had a way better story that actually grabbed my emotions in a genuine way, plus a whole load of dick jokes and way better gameplay.

I was never fond of Bioshock 1 though, besides its wonderful visual style, I felt like it was drastically inferior to System Shock 2 in every way. Haven't played 2 though. Have been playing Prey though, and it's really good but I'm just so bad at the environmental combat so it's ridiculously difficult for me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ending to bioshock infinite is 'ken levine has literally no idea how this works but will pretend he does anyways much to our dismay'

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Looks like people are starting to rip stuff outta Ion Maiden already. From zdoom forums:

Throw all that poo poo in AEOD ASAP IMHO

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

At least Adam Levine isn't making FPS games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

catlord posted:

I was never fond of Bioshock 1 though, besides its wonderful visual style, I felt like it was drastically inferior to System Shock 2 in every way.

i like how they follow up the great ryan twist with a ripoff of the polito twist from ss2.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

People remember Bioshock because blasting people in beat with Waltz of the Flowers while Sander Cohen has an outburst is fun, and the twist is entertaining the first time you see it. The twist loses it's impact immediately afterwards because Atlas calls you up to gloat about it, which feels more like Levine gloating to the player about how clever his twist was.

i mean it worked in system shock 2, which bioshock 1 is just a half-baked, less fun direct remake of with the same general mechanics and plot beats, right down to the bad guy pretending to be someone else by speaking with a different voice.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh man, you guys should turn your super captivating ideas on bioshocks into video essays for the youtube so you can get that hot recognition from the "coworker who won't loving stop talking to me about video games after I wore an old left 4 dead t-shirt to work" demographic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why would we do that chum.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

An Ion Maiden related note, you might dig the Duke 3D map Slum Noir by the mapper who did the office map in that, from a few years back. It's a sci-fi slum!

http://msdn.duke4.net/hotslumnoir.php

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone should stop talking critically about first person shooters on this video game forum, it's inappropriate.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

treat posted:

Oh man, you guys should turn your super captivating ideas on bioshocks into video essays for the youtube so you can get that hot recognition from the "coworker who won't loving stop talking to me about video games after I wore an old left 4 dead t-shirt to work" demographic.

This is the thread where we spend literally pages discussing the lore for Doom, a 25 year-old game where the majority of its story is in the descriptions of rocket launchers and flying meatball demons. What the gently caress were you expecting, dude?

SwissCM posted:

Everyone should stop talking critically about first person shooters on this video game forum, it's inappropriate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

You should suck my toes, you Tekwar-loving fart fetishist.

Also, file me under as one of those who didn't really like Bioshock. Don't quite know why. Bought it when it first came out. Tried playing it 2 or 3 times since then (and ultimately beat it). Usually I can see where other people are coming from--I mean a lot of the things that make a game "good" are subjective, really--but Bioshock was one of those situations where I felt like I was playing a completely different game than other people. It's not a bad game, but it struck me as a really mediocre experience overall.

I didn't feel like the moral "dilemma" of harvesting the girls for power was particularly clever or emotionally charged. I guess that's because on one hand, I never felt like I needed to become more powerful...but on the other hand, I didn't really give a poo poo about these monstrous little ghoul-girls wandering around Rapture so that I might feel the need to save or protect them. I guess the game just presumed the player would feel some immediate attachment to them.

The environment was really cool though, but I've never understood the frequent claims that it had one of the best written plots in recent games history.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 6, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bioshock, for all its faults, is a masterclass in environmental storytelling. Unfortunately I think the Souls games, Bloodborne in particular, have long since eclipsed it in that regard.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AnEdgelord posted:

Bioshock, for all its faults, is a masterclass in environmental storytelling. Unfortunately I think the Souls games, Bloodborne in particular, have long since eclipsed it in that regard.

gently caress man, I'd kill to have Bloodborne ported to PC. I seriously love all of the ambiguity of the Souls games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mordja posted:

I get the frustration since it just came out but modders gonna mod. As long as people aren’t pirating the game who cares?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I never was into the mod scene but why is the fact people are ripping the assets of the game an issue exactly?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Odddzy posted:

I never was into the mod scene but why is the fact people are ripping the assets of the game an issue exactly?

I was gonna say "Because then they could take credit for other people's work", but as long as they're not profiting from it I guess I don't see an issue?

It's not like there's a recent first-person shooter mod for a super famous and popular game that steals assets from said game and then charges, say, $25 bucks for it on the very store started by the company who made the original game! Oh... ohhhhhhh.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Convex posted:

I was going to hold off on Ion Maiden until payday but then noticed the early buyer discount expires in 2 days and... well gently caress it I was looking for an excuse to be honest. This game is loving brilliant and I've had more fun with it in the first 15 minutes than I have with almost any other modern FPS in about 10 years...

BTW how the hell do I get in the red door sections in the first level? Looks like there's some cool stuff there.

One of the windows is broken. The jump is a little steep but you can probably roll up to it with some kind of solution.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

King Vidiot posted:

I was gonna say "Because then they could take credit for other people's work", but as long as they're not profiting from it I guess I don't see an issue?

I'd assume that the people are doing so without giving any real thought to the game itself, and I wouldn't be suprised if Doom community shitters are trash talking the game for being on the Build engine and wanting to act like 'they can be put to so much better use'.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Odddzy posted:

it's considered a rather significant breach of modding etiquette to take and use a mod's assets without first obtaining the permission of the asset's creator to do so

doubly so in Ion Maiden's case because, being a commercially-released game, this is very much a "big break" scenario for quite a few of the artists. So it's really not cool that some of the less-scrupulous members of the community are scavving it like vultures when it's only been a week since it went into Early Access, let alone how the full game hasn't even been released yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Diabetes Forecast posted:

I'd assume that the people are doing so without giving any real thought to the game itself, and I wouldn't be suprised if Doom community shitters are trash talking the game for being on the Build engine and wanting to act like 'they can be put to so much better use'.

in the forum post itself it talks about people using 'well i don't like build' as their excuse so yeah pretty much

if a game is over a decade old or whatever, if not more, at this point then i definitely don't give a poo poo if someone rips out the sprites for their own stuff, but to immediately do it to a new game being put out this year for Actual Money By Developers is kind of in poor taste and i don't blame them for telling people to at least stop brazenly going on about doing it right in front of people who actually worked on the game

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I want to strangle the level designer who decided that putting Battlelords all over the third episode of Duke Nukem 3d was good game design.

"Oh yes a bullet sponge hit scanner who can kill the player in two seconds, nothing wrong with this :smuggo:"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

treat posted:

One of the windows is broken. The jump is a little steep but you can probably roll up to it with some kind of solution.

Thanks!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

in the forum post itself it talks about people using 'well i don't like build' as their excuse so yeah pretty much

if a game is over a decade old or whatever, if not more, at this point then i definitely don't give a poo poo if someone rips out the sprites for their own stuff, but to immediately do it to a new game being put out this year for Actual Money By Developers is kind of in poor taste and i don't blame them for telling people to at least stop brazenly going on about doing it right in front of people who actually worked on the game

Yeah in the Ion Maiden thread created by one of the devs by the second page there were people talking about ripping out the assets to try and create a zDoom port/conversion of the game. Kind of a really lovely thing to do in a thread created by the people who made the game to talk about said game, let alone one that’s a preview in early access and the game hasn’t even fully come out yet

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AnEdgelord posted:

I want to strangle the level designer who decided that putting Battlelords all over the third episode of Duke Nukem 3d was good game design.

"Oh yes a bullet sponge hit scanner who can kill the player in two seconds, nothing wrong with this :smuggo:"

Shrink 'em.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

catlord posted:

Shrink 'em.

Tried that but they've started coming in pairs, and it takes multiple shots to shrink them. So while i work on shrinking one his buddy turns me to ground beef, luckily the magic of the quicksave is greater than any mere battlelord.

Edit: whew, managed to complete episode three. Now all I need to do is conquer The Birth and i'll be ready to move on to Blood :black101:

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

If Gordon Freeman was a theoretical physicist, why was he the one in the lab pushing the sample into the anti-mass spectrometer?