Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yamaha is legendary for their weighted-key midi controllers keyboards. Also they made the engine for the Lexus LFA. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Fun fact, some music stores in Canada have had at some times exclusive rights to sell Yamaha motor products. Because agreements between companies are weird like that, especially with Yamaha, they basically sell things in Canada on a store by store basis which makes it harder to find their stuff sometimes (Yamaha pianos exclusively sold by a brand company in one city and by a mom and pop in another).

I don't think it's a bad thing just weird that if I work at a music store and someone wants a Yamaha grand piano that I can't sell my closest affiliate is in one city and the other city that might be closer for the customer is a competitor.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jr. posted:

Yamaha is the poo poo. I love my Yamaha bike, my Yamaha guitar, and my Yamaha keyboard. Praise be. Japanese companies that make Everything are awesome.

This is why I really need to get a MIJ Ibanez soon

Japan makes wonderful stuff, I’m weaboo garbage deal with it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
with the advent of cnc routers the only major difference between a guitar made in japan and one made in china these days is the level of finish fretwork and the quality of the stock electronics and hardware

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

A human heart posted:

Here's a man who just loves the drat product

Ya girl's just all about those tuning forks :allears: In a perfect world there would also be Kawasaki guitars that go offroad.

So what I'm getting (thanks Schpyder) is that Gibson hired on Henry in the 80s, when the Gordon Gekko business mentality worked, and carried that poo poo haphazardly into the new millenium and now there's iPhones and the boomers are dying so FireHomeShopgood Consolidated Guanzhou is gonna buy them for pennies in a few months. There's nowhere to go but up.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

with the advent of cnc routers the only major difference between a guitar made in japan and one made in china these days is the level of finish fretwork and the quality of the stock electronics and hardware

Pretty much, I think someone mentioned how they'd trust a robot more than some drunk gluing their guitars together. At this point the weakness across CNC machines would be... I don't know, overusing the tooling past its peak life to save on costs so you get splinters and rough cuts and dull milling bits and things, but I'm pretty sure that happens everywhere. There's a cachet to having a handmade instrument, but you go to a luthier for that, not a multinational.

e: full disclosure I have nothing but parts guitars and disfigured pawn shop specials that I can barely play so my opinion is meaningless but I have strong feelings dammit

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 5, 2018

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I mean, it's not like there aren't really, really high quality guitars made in China (e.g. Eastman). It's really just that they'll make whatever quality you ask for. iPhones are made in China and no one's complaining about fit and finish on those.

That being said, MIJ Prestige Ibanezes really are things of beauty.

Jr. posted:

So what I'm getting (thanks Schpyder) is that Gibson hired on Henry in the 80s, when the Gordon Gekko business mentality worked, and carried that poo poo haphazardly into the new millenium and now there's iPhones and the boomers are dying so FireHomeShopgood Consolidated Guanzhou is gonna buy them for pennies in a few months. There's nowhere to go but up.

Mostly, except Gibson didn't bring him on, he (and his partners) bought the company outright, and since it's privately held, no one can really force him to do anything with it until it gets to the point of actually filing bankruptcy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

My main guitar right now is a Chinese Strat but there’s no way I can get a prestige Ibanez out of that country :shrug:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are most Chinese-made guitars CNC'd? The only major issue with my DIY tele was the control plate cavity shooting off at a weird angle, which I figure would be impossible unless it was done by hand.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jr. posted:

An ergonomic dreamboat

I'm confused as to what all of those loving knobs do.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm confused as to what all of those loving knobs do.
Bass contour, kinda like most Reverend Guitars? But they decided to fancy the gently caress up and do it for both pickups: Volume, Tone, Bass Contour. :eng101:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is why I really need to get a MIJ Ibanez soon

Japan makes wonderful stuff, I’m weaboo garbage deal with it

Get an RG655, not too expensive, MIJ Prestige line, and highly versatile.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I’ve got one of these. The volume knob is in an annoying place, and it doesn’t have the Edge zero or pro bridge. Other than that it’s good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m laser focused on the new RG550s to tell you the truth. They’re perfectly spec’d for what I want out of a SHRED AXE

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Same but the 570...Which they don't appear to make left handed.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Every Ibanez I've tried has been absolutely feather-light and it turns out I find that weirdly offputting (I guess it makes sense that a converted bass player would like thicc guitars.) Is that just how they are in general or did I happen to find a few outliers?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Re: Lars. If anyone gives a poo poo.

Lars is a lot like Ringo and Charlie Watts, maybe even Meg White. A lot of poo poo talking, but do they REALLY suck?

I'm so glad someone posted Dave Lombardo wrecking War Ensemble recently. Lars could not do that any day. But he is not TOTALLY worthless.

I present to you: Young, Coked Up Lars. It's a whole set but just go to Fight Fire with Fire or something. Sure, some obvious slopiness. But, this is intense and brutal and nothing like what he sounds like now. Anyway, I totally agree, and the Lars version of War Ensemble is hilarious. But still. Counterpoint! And I don't mean it's the best drumming ever. But, likely surprising for Lars haters, vs drummers like me, who's like, eh, Lars is Lars.

https://youtu.be/-Olhlc19ZeQ

e: poo poo just listening to Lightning. Creeping is a good start but Lightning....

Also this is Hetfield's best recorded vocals ever so there's that too...

e2: Lars looks like Animal more than Moon ever could in this.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 6, 2018

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Every Ibanez I've tried has been absolutely feather-light and it turns out I find that weirdly offputting (I guess it makes sense that a converted bass player would like thicc guitars.) Is that just how they are in general or did I happen to find a few outliers?

Oh same. Most guitars have a weird toylike feeling to me if I spend too much time around my basses, and even heavier guitars (Les Pauls, etc) sort of feel like somebody shoved a big brick of lead in them just to trick me into thinking they're more substantial. I guess they make LP Juniors out of osmium or some poo poo, weighs more than my Jazz bass.

Interestingly the only guitar that doesn't do that is my (Ibanez) AF55 hollowbody, and I think that's just because it's so physically big that my brain figures more unwieldy=adequately heavy. Telecasters seem to have the "correct" balance to me too. Ibanez solidbodies sort of feel too lightweight just because everything on them--necks, contoured bodies--is so thin.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fartzone_42069 posted:

lars sucks but it's irrelevant because he's not even metallica's real drummer

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
My favorite saying about Lars is that he couldn't even keep time in a bucket.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

lars sucks but it's irrelevant because he's not even metallica's real drummer

Do what now?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Their real drummer is Bernard Purdie, just ask him

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Their real drummer is Bernard Purdie, just ask him

They done it

They done hired the hitmaker

Chrpno fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

For all that I guiltily still like sonata arctica, they absolutely cannot keep any semblance of time based on every live recording I've heard

It must be hell to make their studio recordings clean because the tempo off and no one is in sync with anyone else

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Shugojin posted:

For all that I guiltily still like sonata arctica, they absolutely cannot keep any semblance of time based on every live recording I've heard

It must be hell to make their studio recordings clean because the tempo off and no one is in sync with anyone else

Also the singer's earnest Finnglish is great

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I wouldn't listen to sonata arctica if you paid me but all the old black metal bands where the guitars and drums aren't in time rule

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If you can’t keep time as a musician then lol what are you even doing

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
loving killin it thats what!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHW0XZUBVvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P07Di283vfw

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

making millions upon millions if you're lars

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't think time keeping is very important unless you want to play 'correctly'

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I don't know about being able to count time perfectly in your head unaided but if you can't stay together with the rest of your band you got some problems

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Guitarists in the year 2018 still fetishize not being good at their instruments as some kind of “style” and “feel” thing. poo poo is embarrassing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Guitarists in the year 2018 still fetishize not being good at their instruments as some kind of “style” and “feel” thing. poo poo is embarrassing.

I don't give a hoot about guitarists and what they do, bands that can't play their instruments is a time honoured tradition that has produced lots of great music.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A human heart posted:

I don't give a hoot about guitarists and what they do, bands that can't play their instruments is a time honoured tradition that has produced lots of great music.

Ok there grandpa

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

But those were good opinions :confused:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lars is very good at his job within Metallica: arrangement, networking, and business poo poo. It's only incidental that he has a drum kit.

Also their early poo poo wouldn't sound half as complicated if he wasn't allergic to the downbeat.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

So guitarists are basically like that guy in art-school who only wants to draw anime because it's "his style"?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you can keep time as a musician then lol what are you even doing

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Pondex posted:

So guitarists are basically like that guy in art-school who only wants to draw anime because it's "his style"?

Some of them, yeah. A lot of people who can’t play like to use the old “you can’t, like, over-educate yourself or else you’ll kill your creativity maaaan” excuse for playing like poo poo. This excuse is not even true by the way. Actually learning an instrument just means giving yourself the tools you need in order to make the instrument do what you want. It’s the people who learn “just enough to be dangerous,” who are killing their creativity the most, actually. Intentionally keeping yourself ignorant is exactly what keeps you on the fast track to having basically zero expressive/creative freedom, however.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

Some of them, yeah. A lot of people who can’t play like to use the old “you can’t, like, over-educate yourself or else you’ll kill your creativity maaaan” excuse for playing like poo poo. This excuse is not even true by the way. Actually learning an instrument just means giving yourself the tools you need in order to make the instrument do what you want. It’s the people who learn “just enough to be dangerous,” who are killing their creativity the most, actually. Intentionally keeping yourself ignorant is exactly what keeps you on the fast track to having basically zero expressive/creative freedom, however.

Exactly, this! It’s the worst thing and unfortunately the mindset gets celebrated in the guitar world way more than other instrument communities for some reason.

It is truly the ultimate stupid music poo poo.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

fartzone_42069 posted:

Lombardo is incredible, he keeps time, plays insanely difficult poo poo really fast, and it really sounds like he's having fun and loving his job. He has played with everything from simple classic punk acts like original Misfits to proggish experimental metal like Fantomas, he always brings his A game, and always sounds really organic.

Lars could probably have been a good drummer if he had bothered. He doesn't. The biggest difference between 80's Lars and current Lars is that he still plays sloppy, where cocaine-fueled Lars played FLAMBOYANTLY sloppy.

Musicians can have many redeeming features. If you aren't the human metronome you can still master some advanced techniques, play lightning fast or do jaw-dropping fills. You can also have a really original playing style with inventive riffs/grooves/lines that inspire other musicians. You can be really great at being exactly right for your band and their songs with your limited skillset, or at least have a great personality that makes up for everything.

Ringo was maybe not technically diverse and no ones first choice for a session drummer, but was good at being the drummer for the Beatles, kept time and overall seemed like a pretty likeable fella.

I don't see anything redeeming about Lars.