Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/05/martin-shkreli-must-forfeit-7-point-36-million-judge.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI&t=9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lowtax posted:

According to his email complaint he just sent to me, you just "doxed" him and "encouraged users to harass" him.

:lol:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lowtax posted:

According to his email complaint he just sent to me, you just "doxed" him and "encouraged users to harass" him.

:supaburn:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/970768848122245121

But a funny thing happened: By the end of the tour, the coastal elites had caught the heartland bug. Several used Zillow, the real estate app, to gawk at the availability of cheap homes in cities like Detroit and South Bend and fantasize about relocating there. They marveled at how even old-line manufacturing cities now offer a convincing simulacrum of coastal life, complete with artisanal soap stores and farm-to-table restaurants.

“If it weren’t for my kids, I’d totally move,” said Cyan Banister, a partner at Founders Fund. “This could be a really powerful ecosystem.”

Recently, Peter Thiel, the President Trump-supporting billionaire investor and Facebook board member, became Silicon Valley’s highest-profile defector when he reportedly told people close to him that he was moving to Los Angeles full-time, and relocating his personal investment funds there. (Founders Fund and Mithril Capital, two other firms started by Mr. Thiel, will remain in the Bay Area.) Mr. Thiel reportedly considered San Francisco’s progressive culture “toxic,” and sought out a city with more intellectual diversity.

Mr. Thiel’s criticisms were echoed by Michael Moritz, the billionaire founder of Sequoia Capital. In a recent Financial Times op-ed, Mr. Moritz argued that Silicon Valley had become slow and spoiled by its success, and that “soul-sapping discussions” about politics and social injustice had distracted tech companies from the work of innovation.

hahahahaha

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

https://twitter.com/ritholtz/status/970768848122245121

But a funny thing happened: By the end of the tour, the coastal elites had caught the heartland bug. Several used Zillow, the real estate app, to gawk at the availability of cheap homes in cities like Detroit and South Bend and fantasize about relocating there. They marveled at how even old-line manufacturing cities now offer a convincing simulacrum of coastal life, complete with artisanal soap stores and farm-to-table restaurants.

“If it weren’t for my kids, I’d totally move,” said Cyan Banister, a partner at Founders Fund. “This could be a really powerful ecosystem.”

Recently, Peter Thiel, the President Trump-supporting billionaire investor and Facebook board member, became Silicon Valley’s highest-profile defector when he reportedly told people close to him that he was moving to Los Angeles full-time, and relocating his personal investment funds there. (Founders Fund and Mithril Capital, two other firms started by Mr. Thiel, will remain in the Bay Area.) Mr. Thiel reportedly considered San Francisco’s progressive culture “toxic,” and sought out a city with more intellectual diversity.

Mr. Thiel’s criticisms were echoed by Michael Moritz, the billionaire founder of Sequoia Capital. In a recent Financial Times op-ed, Mr. Moritz argued that Silicon Valley had become slow and spoiled by its success, and that “soul-sapping discussions” about politics and social injustice had distracted tech companies from the work of innovation.

hahahahaha

Can't wait for them to relocate to a white enclave in Brazil just like their idols.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
good

i hope we have a mass exodus of shitheads to kansas or oklahoma where they blow their brains out out of despair

it'll help lower housing prices

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lowtax posted:

:perfect:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
midwest farmers gunna make a killing selling pet chickens

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

every time a millionaire moves they have to issue a proclamation on how they are punishing the local economy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I feel like this is a set up for wealthy individuals, inspired by the amazon hq2 campaign, to ask local governments for concessions to move there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

graph posted:

hi everyone this is maskenfreheit

how many people have you tried to doxx over PM today

at least this time he used a needs-suiting username

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iheartmedia, previously known as clear channel communications, also known as "that company that bought and ruined all your local radio stations" is about to go bankrupt thanks to a $20 billion leveraged buyout orchestrated in 2008 by bain capital that they recently missed an interest payment on

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lmfao good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

iheartmedia, previously known as clear channel communications, also known as "that company that bought and ruined all your local radio stations" is about to go bankrupt thanks to a $20 billion leveraged buyout orchestrated in 2008 by bain capital that they recently missed an interest payment on
such a great plan

"we will pay a huge premium to seize control of the am and fm bands in every market across the entire country! people will have no choice but to listen to what we play!"
*smartphones come along, podcasts and streaming and personal mp3 libraries become ubiquitous*
"welp"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
luv to turn all stations into playing nothing but creedence clearwater, fleetwood mac, and the who and also agree to a buyout by bain capital

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh no i hope flint mcelroy will be okay :ohdear:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will never forgive them for putting loving howard stern as the morning show on our local alternative station

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to a slight extent i suspect it is an overextension of whitehats in security that has made engineers incapable of getting that these things should be considered before built, the sort of mindset that everything that can be done will get done no matter what, so e.g. making a proof of concept public research would be the best outcome

which is a decent philosophical underpinning for a lot of computer security. not all even there though, arguably, like in my little home town where enterprising whitehats widely published how to fake the very cheap tickets for the municipal bus system, which caused largely the maximum possible harm (the system had to be reworked at great cost), and which i hold was unlikely to happen without them

a friend told me a few days ago that "everything that could be automated, should be" which i think explains a lot in this mentality. relatively well enough computer touchers who do not have a lot of experience with the really sharp edges of any existing system but do have a very simplistic first principles understanding of how the world works are very prone to being really loving optimistic about technology and not thinking nearly enough how the technology interacts with and affects the real world. sure their javascript piece of poo poo passes every unit test but a) there are no unit tests for real-world consequences b) nobody in software is being taught to estimate these things (imagine the shitstorm when "ethics in computer science" would be introduced to a curriculum) and c) the whole chain from VC to developer probably does not want anybody telling them that "uhh your poo poo is immoral and it should not exist".

i think the people who work at facebook would be a-ok with a world where you have a significant amount people totally downtrodden and abused by an algorithmic min-maxing capitalist system as long those people have an app which gamifies their life so they are "happy".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Penisface posted:

i think the people who work at facebook would be a-ok with a world where you have a significant amount people totally downtrodden and abused by an algorithmic min-maxing capitalist system as long those people have an app which gamifies their life so they are "happy".
the current tech industry totally rewards this kind of thinking so then you get all the people who become instantly woke when they like break an ankle or have a child or someone they know dies or any of those other things that happen to adults and realize that designing for a frictionless environment is just jerking it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

such a great plan

"we will pay a huge premium to seize control of the am and fm bands in every market across the entire country! people will have no choice but to listen to what we play!"
*smartphones come along, podcasts and streaming and personal mp3 libraries become ubiquitous*
"welp"

this never actually happened tho but ok

at peak they only had direct or indirect control of 1000 radio stations across both am and fm, while theres 5000 full power AM and 7000 full power FM commercial radio stations in the country.

one of the big stumbling blocks they had to being super dominant was that besides the high-listenership stations they started out with from the several origin radio networks, they were rarely able to take over more already high-listenership stations because their corporate owners wanted too much for them

of course they sounded like they had much more control because all big company radio sounds the same as the rest except for the occasional bumper mentioning what the network is which, who listens to that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
iheartmedia is also a shockingly horrible name

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tronc

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

graph posted:

hi everyone this is maskenfreheit

how many people have you tried to doxx over PM today

plus i stole this av from the old av thread first :mad:

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Stymie posted:

oh no i hope flint mcelroy will be okay :ohdear:

i agree with this post but i'm worried that the typo might be on purpose and that this is supposed to be a joke of some kind

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
right, it's clint duh

flint is a cooler name, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/970814361064366080

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yes he is still selling diarrhea

more like diarrhea futures

err no this is at least somewhat speculative so I guess it's a diarrhea lottery ticket

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

let me guess, this lets Rupert Murdoch and/or the Koch Bros buy them for pennies on the dollar

or Bezos

or Zuck

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Penisface posted:

b) nobody in software is being taught to estimate these things (imagine the shitstorm when "ethics in computer science" would be introduced to a curriculum) and c) the whole chain from VC to developer probably does not want anybody telling them that "uhh your poo poo is immoral and it should not exist".

remember the fit Subjunctive threw in one of the predecessor threads when it was said Facebook was unethical for conducting experiments in emotional manipulation on random users without their knowledge or consent, and that a core part of it was that being Facebook meant there shouldn’t need to be any sort of IRB involved in experiments performed on human subjects?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ethics in engineering is about not using bribes to bypass the fire code or laundering client money though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

remember the fit Subjunctive threw in one of the predecessor threads when it was said Facebook was unethical for conducting experiments in emotional manipulation on random users without their knowledge or consent, and that a core part of it was that being Facebook meant there shouldn’t need to be any sort of IRB involved in experiments performed on human subjects?

I don't but I'm not surprised that employees of a giant company who are dependent on that company for salary have a difficulty in seeing how their company could do wrong. Especially since that company has access to billions of people's private lives and needs to make profit off this data. So to me it seems that the whole setup incentivizes the employees to rationalise what they do (that spiel about getting the world connected, or whatever) to the point of "drunk driving gets a lot of people to work on time, so it is impossible to say if it is bad or not".

hobbesmaster posted:

ethics in engineering is about not using bribes to bypass the fire code or laundering client money though

That's true, but including it in the curriculum would be a start. And also a guaranteed way to get nazi folks to go "cultural marxism is censoring our science".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pretty sure its a requirement in abet certified programs at the very least

even in ee the "ethics" part was pretty superficial

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

my bs cs is abet but i don't remember having to explicitly do an ethics course, although some kind of ethics in engineering course was offered. p sure i was able to take a class about like modern computer usage or something for the requirement.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

eschaton posted:

yeah i'm pretty sure him getting dogpiled over that is why he largely doesn't post in yospos anymore except for i think the security thread

also i'm pretty sure he doesn't work for them anymore and it was a while ago so i'm wondering if he's had a change of heart

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ethics is Engineering is basically "don't make things that maim or kill people". Making a Minority Report But For Gangs is not mentioned.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Proteus Jones posted:

Ethics is Engineering is basically "don't make things that maim or kill people". Making a Minority Report But For Gangs is not mentioned.

i mean it is just straight up a Minority Report tho

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

my bs cs is abet but i don't remember having to explicitly do an ethics course, although some kind of ethics in engineering course was offered. p sure i was able to take a class about like modern computer usage or something for the requirement.

the requirement was fulfilled by the intro to EE and final project class. they dont' require much instruction in it at all

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

fishmech posted:

i mean it is just straight up a Minority Report tho

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

even in ee the "ethics" part was pretty superficial

we definitely did not have an explicit ethics class in my program and we were abet accredited. i don't even recall it being superficially covered in anything