Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Concurred posted:

New Kensei owns along with the new parry/GB mechanics. He might be the best 1v1 hero now, no joke. His mix ups are insane.

naw he isn't on Glad/PK/Shaman level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Game is really fun

Tribute is awful

Fight me on this

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

Zerk got a huge rework, gains uninterruptible hyper armor on light chains and heavy chain finishers are unblockable. YouTube up some videos to get an idea.

Centurion blows now btw. It’s much more difficult for him to get his cutscene beat down going now that he isn’t guaranteed a gb on parries.

On console she is not great, but ok, thanks to her 500ms lights. On PC, she is in pretty rough shape, as PC players are able to react faster to the lights. Valk suffers from her chains requiring the 2nd hit to always be a light. If you fight someone who knows this you could be in for a rough time. However, she is such a rare pick that you may not run into players who understand how to counter her move set very often.

Womp womp :( I'm mostly playing bots but that's still good to know. Shaman looks ultra fun though holy crap :stare:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The trick to remember when playing with bots is that players are significantly worse than level 2 or level 3 bots :v:

level 1 bots are so braindead there's not much point other than when you're first learning a character, at which they admittedly excel.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey so I'm trying to join the discord but following the link, I don't even have permission to view the rules channel to go through the authentication process. discord username is jynn if anyone can add

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
For reasons I do not fully understand I bought this game and unsurprisingly suck major rear end. I’ve been looking at stuff on the game’s subreddit instead of doing work. Are there any other good resources? Any popular key rebinds? The default ctrl and alt don’t seem too convenient.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

For reasons I do not fully understand I bought this game and unsurprisingly suck major rear end. I’ve been looking at stuff on the game’s subreddit instead of doing work. Are there any other good resources? Any popular key rebinds? The default ctrl and alt don’t seem too convenient.

Controller is much more natural to play with, even on PC. If you have a controller, I would use it. There is some merit to keyboard+mouse being slightly more accurate, but that is only at extreme top tier (so who cares).

Early on it is easy to get rolled and feel like you suck, especially against characters you don't have much practice fighting against. Play plenty of duels (1v1 mode) at first, as it will help you learn without worrying about getting ganged up on, and because you have a greater chance of being placed into matches with appropriately skilled opponents (not garunteed though). Pick whatever character you think is cool and go watch some youtube videos. If you get lucky in a 1v1 and run into someone who is nice and playing the character you want to learn try to message them and see if they will rematch and throw some tips your way.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrayn posted:

Eh, it may not be you so much as the skill cliff that no matchmaking code could ever hope to deal with. You're new, sure, but not a lot of other people in-game are new (on PC) and it likely makes you seem like you're basically playing with a disconnected keyboard.

That said, I'd like to know a more convenient keybind setup too lol.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I do have a controller I’ll give it a shot. I went with keyboard so I could use push to talk but oh well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrayn posted:

I do have a controller I’ll give it a shot. I went with keyboard so I could use push to talk but oh well.

Oh keyboard should be just fine if you're able to get some kind of binding that doesn't involve pulling some Doctor Strange stuff with your hand movements just to dodge or whatnot.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Comrayn posted:

L1 is pretty useless, I would bind your discord push to talk to that.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Alot of people rebind attack commands to the left triggers so you aren't claw gripping with you right hand. (The nominal config forces you to hit attack buttons and swap block direction with the same hand, which is painful for me)

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I plugged in my controller, looked at the button mapping where I would have to do poo poo like push the stick down and move and also push this button to do different things and decided gently caress it. I haven't used a controller for anything harder than mario bros since the N64 and my thumbs just aren't conditioned for this anymore. I rebound the ctrl and alt keys to F and C and rebound the generally unimportant things those were originally to something else and that's much better. I"m having a lot of trouble getting used to blocking by moving my mouse though.

I'm not even playing multiplayer yet I'm doing the story mode. Shiv the Ruthless or whatever the berserker viking lady is named has decapitated me ten times in a row on hard (on normal enemies were just standing there letting me kill them). This game seems like it could be really cool to fight in multiplayer if I got good but gently caress me I have never been good at fighting games.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I suck rear end at fighting games that aren't smash bros and I find this game not impossible because the moves don't really require complicated inputs.

I don't think that playing the AI translates terribly well to playing against people beyond learbibg movesets because the AI has cheater good reactions against some things like basic quick attacks but is really bad at things that most human opponents can do like parrying the big slow unblockable attacks that in online are most useful as misdirection.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comrayn posted:

I plugged in my controller, looked at the button mapping where I would have to do poo poo like push the stick down and move and also push this button to do different things and decided gently caress it. I haven't used a controller for anything harder than mario bros since the N64 and my thumbs just aren't conditioned for this anymore. I rebound the ctrl and alt keys to F and C and rebound the generally unimportant things those were originally to something else and that's much better. I"m having a lot of trouble getting used to blocking by moving my mouse though.

I'm not even playing multiplayer yet I'm doing the story mode. Shiv the Ruthless or whatever the berserker viking lady is named has decapitated me ten times in a row on hard (on normal enemies were just standing there letting me kill them). This game seems like it could be really cool to fight in multiplayer if I got good but gently caress me I have never been good at fighting games.

Just shove her trick rear end into the spikes

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

I suck rear end at fighting games that aren't smash bros and I find this game not impossible because the moves don't really require complicated inputs.

Yeah that’s why I didn’t immediately count this game out because I am just not interested in memorizing the weird combos you have to pull to do a hadouken or whatever. Plus every other game has twenty move unstoppable combos people will pull once you miss a block and gently caress that.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I've been trying to do the test your metal thing and a bot ran away from me when he was at low health, climbed up a ladder, then kicked me off the room to instakill me when i followed.

This game man

Also everyone else doing this seems to be even worse than me, the guy who just started playing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Test Your Metal is pretty bullshit unless you abuse the bots' strange inability to parry the big slow unblockable attacks like I mentioned a few posts ago.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
One week later and I still don't understand anything in this drat game but now it makes me mad and if you play that little ninja guy that I am not even allowed to practice without spending extra money you can gargle my balls

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Fallen in love with Orochi even though people say he's super bad or whatever, mostly because deflecting an attack and stabbing a dude behind me is the coolest thing in the world.

Holy poo poo though, Centurions can eat a dick. One day I'll figure out how to not parry the charge stab super early, but today is not that day.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah parrying the charge stab pretty much determines whether you get steamrolled or can hold your own. Luckily most centurion players will just charge it every time and not try to vary it to trick you up.

I get hosed every time by Wardens that spam shoulder charge and react to a dodge with a cancel into guard break. The only thing I can find that reliably works is to unlock and roll away (so they get a knockback animation when they hit my character mid-roll) but that eats up a ton of stamina and ends up with them getting me out of stamina which always ends in pain. Is there a trick or are characters without Peacekeeper or Orochi-fast light attacks just hosed?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Just don’t panic and light attack through it. If you let them get the sb off you have to play their guessing game of sb or gb. If you just light attack with your quickest move when you see them start up sb you can hit them before it either goes off, or before they recover from canceling sb into neutral.

Also you can keep good distance, if you get the spacing correct you can just unlock and walk away.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Tribute mode sucks rear end. Or maybe it’s just that stupid dock level I have got every time where we just kick each other off over and over again and spawn in the most weird hosed up places

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Captain Beans posted:

Also you can keep good distance, if you get the spacing correct you can just unlock and walk away.

If you get good at keeping your distance you can get a free GB at the end of the Warden's charge.

Also try not to dodge when you're near walls. Most Wardens will throw out the GB mix up to try and get the wall throw to top heavy combo.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I've been eyeing this game for some weeks now because apparently it's been improved a lot since the notorious launch. Apparently they've just released a 15eur/$ poor man's version of the game as well, hm.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It definitely has massively improved, and with a cheapo version it's worth a look. There's a learning curve but I've found the skill levels of players to still be pretty varied so you're not fighting golden gods every round.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone still playing this on XBox?

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Biggest complaint from launch was time to get from game to game, has that improved? I remember that between the odd map system, the progression screen and disconnects it would take 5 mins to get from one match to another.

Edit - How are mouse and keyboard controls? I played on PS4 but would be looking to get this on PC now... and my DS4 is broken.

ColdIronsBound fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 16, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mouse and keyboard controls are better and I don't understand how people play this with a controller

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I've played on both PC and PS4, and while I'm by no means excellent at this game I'm decent enough, having played since the open beta. I'm pretty comfortable playing on both though. They play a bit different, but I think platform differences matter more.

I'd probably prefer mouse control but gently caress dragging my xim4 out for a game like this. I barely do it for shooters since it's honestly just a pain in the rear end to setup the whole rig.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'd started out with a controller, but eventually switched over to mouse+kb. It's not a huge difference all in all, but I found it's quite a bit easier for me to pull off feints and guardbreak-counters with m+kb, since you don't have to move your thumb from the stick to the face buttons every time. But at the same time I occasionally find myself messing up even simple blocks and parries because I twitch with the mouse at exactly the wrong moment, so I guess there's a trade-of for everything. :v:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So. Game good now? I'm talking about PC version.

I bought For Honor launch on the Xbone and disconnecting and losing progress constantly absolutely infuriated me, It's like I was playing on a loving 56k on a starcraft match all over again, It's 2017, releasing a multiplayer focused game like that was just baffling to me.

Anyway, now that the dedicated servers are up, i'm actually considering dropping 15 bucks like it's rainbow six and play as a warden again

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Came back to play in the hopes of finding more players, only to get matched against Rep 10-20 players or new players. Can’t learn a single thing since I get smashed so fast or I smash so fast. I want to play 4v4 for fast grind but it’s just no fun, while 1v1 is challenging but with slow grind. Rep 3 here (Rep 3 Warden).

As for controllers, I tried PS4 controller on PC (For Honor supports it as long as Windows can recognize it. I installed DS4Windows but don’t turn it on.) last night but M+KB seem better because there’s less finger movement. You do get occasional guard direction screw up with mouse but you can add deadlock or reduce sensitivity to reduce it (feels exactly like using controller for guard direction though.)

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Had a friend buy it to play and their first 2v2 included a warden who just kept circling his guard repeatedly, parry baiting all their attacks, and shoulder charge/guard break 50/50s to exhaustion. Partner taunt spamming and doing heavy cancels from the side. Never actually ended it. Cool dudes

why do I have to say "not everybody who plays for honor is a huge piece of poo poo" so often

ellbent fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 19, 2018

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah I got toyed by a Warlord who just did head butt and slash/throw, Kensei who just dodge slashed, Shaman who bit my neck to death, and so on. Main reason why I stopped playing in the first place was due to passive play (ie. Wait for enemy action first), and this hasn’t changed much.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Does anyone actually enjoy the modes outside of duels? Gear having stats is absolute bananas in a fighting game and my last piece of very important feedback is that progression/steel generation is so incredibly slow that even if it was 2X it would still take several evenings to make unlock goals go from some arbritary thing to an achievable activity.

But the duels are amazing :argh:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah some are ok. The classes have different strengths in dominion and at my poo poo tier people's gear isn't all that special. Used to be people just fishing for revenge mode.

In brawl or skirmish it's a pretty great feeling when you beat two guys at once, but yah field are where it's at.

They've said that it should take something like 8-12 hours play time to unlock a new char, but ymmv.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have never spent any of my steel or anything except unlocking characters because I don't know what's supposed to be good. I also have a bug or something where the game just hangs when I try to go to customize on any character but one so I can't do anything about my full inventory on one guy.

Oh wait it just wanted me to click one of the loadouts to customize welp.

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 7, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Comrayn posted:

I have never spent any of my steel or anything except unlocking characters because I don't know what's supposed to be good. I also have a bug or something where the game just hangs when I try to go to customize on any character but one so I can't do anything about my full inventory on one guy.

Oh wait it just wanted me to click one of the loadouts to customize welp.

Whatever emotions or outfits you like is all that's good?

Nothing you can spend steel on makes an in game difference, it's all cosmetic. Except for item crates but you get so many items from leveling up anyways they are pretty pointless.

ILL Machina posted:

They've said that it should take something like 8-12 hours play time to unlock a new char, but ymmv.

What are you talking about? Unless you're playing the starter edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah, I'm talking about the copy on the ubistore edition descriptions that say as much. I have the sp from that last sale cause I like this dumb dead game that I'm terrible at.