Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Took the GTI on her first roadtrip Friday. ATL->Charleston. 37MPG downhill (somewhat conservative) 33 MPG uphill (YOLO). I hate driving long distances but if you're going to have a companion, the GTI is a good one to have. 10 hours in 2 days is something I'd abhor in my e46.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Modus Man posted:

Have you had your car on a dyno with the new turbo? Was it dyno tuned or off the shelf?

All vdyno and remote tuning (trading logs and tune revisions via email) with Randy from mountune.

93 octane - 245-250whp/250ish tq
E30 first revision is close to 270whp, but it needs more refinements, could be more but I’m happy with where it is now.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Hows the power with traction out of a corner? Any plans to add a limited slip?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Christobevii3 posted:

Hows the power with traction out of a corner? Any plans to add a limited slip?

Not great! I need to feather it a bit for sure. LSD is coming, eventually.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

Took the GTI on her first roadtrip Friday. ATL->Charleston. 37MPG downhill (somewhat conservative) 33 MPG uphill (YOLO). I hate driving long distances but if you're going to have a companion, the GTI is a good one to have. 10 hours in 2 days is something I'd abhor in my e46.

I've read online that the GTI isn't a good road trip car, but I think that is garbage. Did MN-FL in mine plus FL-NC and both trips were very comfortable. Love the 2-door!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone who thinks the GTI is anything but great for roadtrips is loving insane

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Going to the bank tomorrow, already found a pristine 2016 fiesta st with 5k on the clock. If everything goes well I'll be posting that kona blue goodness tomorrow, all for ~15k otd.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

Why? It’s plenty roomy, not too noisy and the seats are good.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Probably road trip articles are written for people with kids who overpack?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dissss posted:

Why? It’s plenty roomy, not too noisy and the seats are good.

I think he was saying they are good for road trips.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Yes I think it is a great road trip car, sorry for the confusion. I read online that people didn't like them because they said the seats were not comfy, too small, etc. They must be fat/dumb? The Apple car play is good for phone/nav, etc. The Helix subwoofer is great for music. I could do 12+ hours in the car easy.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 5, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Radiohead71 posted:

Yes I think it is a great road trip car, sorry for the confusion. I read online that people didn't like them because they said the seats were not comfy, too small, etc. They must be fat/dumb? The Apple car play is good for phone/nav, etc. The Helix subwoofer is great for music. I could do 12+ hours in the car easy.

Yeah about my only complaint is that the sound system in my base is a little cheap and no sub. Still lightyears ahead of my e46 that had every single driver blown though! Android auto is hit or miss unfortunately.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BlackMK4 posted:

We drove my MK6 R to Texas and back from Florida for Quakecon and it was excellent. I don't know why anyone would say they suck. GTI is essentially the same thing so should also be excellent. 3 dudes and our giant computers.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got my roadside assistance kit from eBay today. I read that the first aid one fits well in the drawer under the driver’s seat in the GTI. Can someone confirm?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GutBomb posted:

I think he was saying they are good for road trips.

Ha yeah I'm dumb.

The only area you could ding them is tyre noise on coarse chip roads, but that's an issue on anything in the class

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Warbird posted:

Got my roadside assistance kit from eBay today. I read that the first aid one fits well in the drawer under the driver’s seat in the GTI. Can someone confirm?

That’s where the gun goes!!!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Warbird posted:

I had that OEM kit included with my car. I threw it under the spare where it fits fine and still allows it to sit flush.

Didn't fit (entire roadside kit, haven't opened it to check the individual things) under the driver's seat when put in from the back. 2017 GTI. Is there a reason you can't walk out to your car and try this?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That’s where the gun goes!!!

It's the perfect size for a compact pistol.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Larrymer posted:

I had that OEM kit included with my car. I threw it under the spare where it fits fine and still allows it to sit flush.

Didn't fit (entire roadside kit, haven't opened it to check the individual things) under the driver's seat when put in from the back. 2017 GTI. Is there a reason you can't walk out to your car and try this?

It hasn't arrived yet. The previous owner sold/kept both so I'm eBaying them. Fun fact: the velcro strip on the roadside bag is placed in such a way that you can use the side walls of the "trunk" area to stick it on to save floor space. I don't know if that's a deliberate design choice, but it's neat. I love the little touches in this car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

It's the perfect size for a compact pistol.

It is. The only problem is easy access since it lays flat. I solved it with a small piece of foam under one side.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reading just that post and quote was really concerning.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Subject change. Is there an All Trails or Strava equivalent for fun to drive roads? Also, any recommended resources to get ideas for modifications from?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What hellscape area do you live in?

Do an autocross or track day and learn to drive before diving into that stuff, IMO. If you can't even manual shift an automatic maybe you should take baby steps before modifying things. :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Larrymer posted:

What hellscape area do you live in?

Do an autocross or track day and learn to drive before diving into that stuff, IMO. If you can't even manual shift an automatic maybe you should take baby steps before modifying things. :v:

this.

much love for new performance drivers, but get comfy with how it performs in all sorts of differing circumstances (the wet, really hot, inclimate or traction limited conditions) and get a good mental handle on how it handles normally before modifying it. GTI is honestly one of the most popular hot hatches for a reason, id only start modding stuff once you are sure you know what really needs to improve for your driving style.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I meant in a more cosmetic sense. I’m stupid, not crazy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Warbird posted:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5325-Golf-GTI-VII

What do you want to be different?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
don't listen to these pansies, call APR and tell them you want the basic IS38 kit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
start with some better tires and see what else you think needs to be improved after that

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BlackMK4 posted:

don't listen to these pansies, call APR and tell them you want the basic IS38 kit.

you are eeevil.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

start with some better tires and see what else you think needs to be improved after that

Yeah, this

BlackMK4 posted:

And then this immediately

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Warbird posted:

I'd look at the OBDEleven tool and what is available for your car. I recently did two of the only three mods I wanted: no soundaktor (which I just found out from a page or two back only applies to the driving mode selected when you make the change) and passenger mirror dip in reverse. The mirror dip is really handy if your mirrors don't show you any side panel at all, and since it only dips when the mirror adjustment lever is turned to the right side setting you can prevent it from happening if it's inconvenient. This has already happened to me, backing up while parallel parked on the left side of a one-way street to make room to get out but then the mirror wasn't showing me the adjacent lane, just the ground. Had to turn the car off (or go like 10mph, lol, nope) to get my mirror back.

I was going to add window opening to the keyfob, you can select to be able to roll down both or just driver's on the two-door. I decided not to as sometimes I unlock my doors just moving around with my keys in my pocket, and I hear the car re-lock after 30 seconds. I'd hate to roll them down inadvertently during a rainstorm or something just napping away a Saturday afternoon on the couch with my keys in my pocket.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do you have the code for the mirror dip you used? Mine dips but I couldn’t get it to go back up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BlackMK4 posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Yesterday I had my hood open, cover off, looking at the plugs where a JB4 would go. Car is 3 months old. I'd love to, but I'm gonna hold off for a while.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
put a 25mm ST rear sway on the mk7 gti last night and it's great

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

put a 25mm ST rear sway on the mk7 gti last night and it's great

Have considered putting a beefier rear sway on my FoST- what effects did you notice on your mk7?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

So far I've been surprised how the GTI handles in the slow. Doesn't seem to plow (snow tires installed) and kicks the rear end end around a bit, but that may be the stability system helping out. It's pretty good.

I haven't driven mine hard in the dry (bought in Oct/Nov, immediately put winter tires on), so I don't know if I'd want to do the rear sway yet. Did it understeer badly before?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Yesterday I had my hood open, cover off, looking at the plugs where a JB4 would go. Car is 3 months old. I'd love to, but I'm gonna hold off for a while.

Counterpoint: don’t

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Larrymer posted:

So far I've been surprised how the GTI handles in the slow. Doesn't seem to plow (snow tires installed) and kicks the rear end end around a bit, but that may be the stability system helping out. It's pretty good.

I haven't driven mine hard in the dry (bought in Oct/Nov, immediately put winter tires on), so I don't know if I'd want to do the rear sway yet. Did it understeer badly before?

Even on the stock all seasons, mine's great in snow. Much better than my previous two Civics. Those things could barely get through a slushy intersection and I'd have to turn the traction control off to get up the hill I live on. The GTI goes up it with ease.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Have considered putting a beefier rear sway on my FoST- what effects did you notice on your mk7?

definitely tightened up the rear, but i only drove around a few low speed corners in my neighborhood and havent had the chance to take some sweeper onramps at higher speeds

Larrymer posted:

i think the performance package with electronic limited slip differential helps a good deal with understeer in general but i think this will make it feel even more neutral than stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I meant to ask, is there any weirdness with FWD vehicles I should know about? I’ve only ever had RWD before now.