Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Detective Thompson posted:

So the BTR ran the light here, right? Or do flashing green lights mean something else in Russia? Either way, I feel like the driver that got hit will be the one held responsible.

There's a car with flashing lights in front of it that the rest of the traffic decided to stop for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Bip Roberts posted:

Are you eating paint chips?

My parents told me it was “wall candy”.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Fasdar posted:

I can't wait to see what China's millenials get up to.

Edit: Seriously though, is anyone here read up on lead exposure and the various neurological and psychological symptoms induced? Because I may know 30 million people or so who may have been exposed to high lead levels and are showing signs of lowered impulse control, paranoia, diminished cognition, and a loss of empathy, and I'm a bit worried something might be going on!

Thomas Midgley Jr. is a fucker and probably a good top 3 time traveler murder target

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/chrismaddern/status/970842500750630919

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PhazonLink posted:

Thomas Midgley Jr. is a fucker and probably a good top 3 time traveler murder target

It's not like he is some cackling evil scientist. Everything he did worked really well, for what it was intended for.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Three-Phase posted:

My parents told me it was “wall candy”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_green

That fun stuff used to be mixed with paint or white wash when you had a problem with animals chewing through wood on your fence or house. Fun stuff.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh holy poo poo I hope the giant multinational I work for gets that bearings contract

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ah I miss the simple joys of Battlefield 2.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

How would fire escape work in a rotating skyscraper? I imagine you'd have the actual fire stairwell in the center along with elevators (and all the rotating machinery), but if there are any interior walls up against the central column, then bad times happen if your floor's fire doors are obscured. So I'm guessing no walls against the center, and a 360-degree radius around it which is all open so you can always access the elevators / doors regardless of rotation.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You're expected to die my friend.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Well yeah since this is in Dubai and it'll probably be rushed and cheaply constructed with most of the funds going into coke and whores, but like, just in theory, it's a pretty neat idea I suppose!

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Buff Skeleton posted:

How would fire escape work in a rotating skyscraper? I imagine you'd have the actual fire stairwell in the center along with elevators (and all the rotating machinery), but if there are any interior walls up against the central column, then bad times happen if your floor's fire doors are obscured. So I'm guessing no walls against the center, and a 360-degree radius around it which is all open so you can always access the elevators / doors regardless of rotation.

Escaping from a burning sky scraper down procedurally generated fire escapes sounds like a fun new indie game

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The exterior aligns into a fire escape staircase.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

How does the plumbing work? What happens if your toilet is above someone else's bedroom?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Imagine what that will sound like either immediately after being built, or after a decade of sun, wind and dust corroding, bending and jamming the moving parts.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Grem posted:

How does the plumbing work? What happens if your toilet is above someone else's bedroom?

The second question is dumb, floor crawl spaces are a thing. The first question is drat good though. If the part the sinks and toilets are in move, the pipes can’t be hard-connected to the water system, can they? Is there a reservoir? What if you use too much water for that? Does it empty to a large pipe with slots for the pipes to pivot? That’s a hell of an engineering project.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nenonen posted:

The exterior aligns into a fire escape staircase.

All residents must pass a basic competency test in Q*bert before moving in.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, plumbing would be interesting for sure. Even more fun would be EMS responding to a medical emergency or something and having to deal with 3D chess bullshit on top of it.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
We are seeking qualified building maintenance personnel!

The ideal candidate will be able to solve a Rubik's Cube while blindfolded.

Pay DOE

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Buff Skeleton posted:

There was a documentary about this kind of place already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWSkYqqkMA

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not like he is some cackling evil scientist. Everything he did worked really well, for what it was intended for.

Well, yes, but being such a huuuuge net negative to society kinda overrides that.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Re: the BMP pancaking a car: forget what they told you in driver's ed, the vehicle with the most lugnuts has right-of-way.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just that everything he made had a nasty side effect of being really really bad for civilization.

Except his contraption to deal his disability. That turned out to be a net gain for society.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Imagine what that will sound like either immediately after being built, or after a decade of sun, wind and dust corroding, bending and jamming the moving parts.

I imagine they're going to turn off the rotation like, a week after its built and the publicity has died down.

Assuming it gets built.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDPLFoWNlV8

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

I imagine they're going to turn off the rotation like, a week after its built and the publicity has died down

And if they dont itll just full on break down sometime in the next few years like every single stadium's retractable shade system

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The second question is dumb, floor crawl spaces are a thing. The first question is drat good though. If the part the sinks and toilets are in move, the pipes can’t be hard-connected to the water system, can they? Is there a reservoir? What if you use too much water for that? Does it empty to a large pipe with slots for the pipes to pivot? That’s a hell of an engineering project.

My guess would be that everything would have a long section of flexible hose connecting the outer spinny bit to the fixed core. This would mean it couldn't just keep spinning forever in one direction (it would have to "rewind" when it ran out of length), but that hardly seems like a big problem. It would also solve the problem for electrical and data lines.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powered Descent posted:

My guess would be that everything would have a long section of flexible hose connecting the outer spinny bit to the fixed core. This would mean it couldn't just keep spinning forever in one direction (it would have to "rewind" when it ran out of length), but that hardly seems like a big problem. It would also solve the problem for electrical and data lines.

he has some goofy bespoke patented system based on dynamic couplings or something. he's been saying the tower will be built in a few years for the last decade

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123432213609971519

the biggest problem i see with it is that it allows you, the resident, to choose your view and freely rotate your unit... but you're not the only unit on the floor. so is everyone constantly trying to rotate the same floor, fighting their neighbors input?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 6, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oh god this gives me flashbacks to the sub-harbor-freight tier travelling tool show that was trying to sell taps with visible mold parting lines

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Starman Super DX posted:

Escaping from a burning sky scraper down procedurally generated fire escapes sounds like a fun new indie game

It's like that level from Max Payne.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Can't, it's physically blocking the tap from turning.

Australian politicians have been arguing nonstop over the National Broadband Network since at least 2010, it's all a giant loving mess. Originally it was supposed to be a fibreoptics network that went all the way to people's houses (FTTP - fibre to the premises) providing speeds somewhere between 100 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s but then we had a change of government and they went "Eh, the internet isn't all that important is it? And putting into fibreoptic cables to every single house in Australia is going to be way too expensive!" so they downgraded the maximum speed to 25 Mbit/s and went with a FTTN (Fibre to the node) system where they installed fibreoptic cable to a cabinet somewhere in the neighbourhood and kept the good old fashioned copper cables to the individual houses. And that's why Australia's internet speed are currently ranked below Guam, Belarus and Slovenia. But hey, we used to be ranked below Kazakhstan but we recently moved one spot above them!

So the NBN network is poo poo, everyone knows it's poo poo, everyone knows it'll need to be replaced at some point in the future at great expense so it's a total waste of money, and the government are only going along with the scheme because of election promises even though it's a lovely cheap version of the previous government's plan. The workmen out in the field who are installing the NBN boxes all day long are also aware of all this and they obviously don't give a poo poo about the work:

Ooh you can barely see it, I wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't point it out!

They don't even warn people that they're about to attach NBN equipment to their houses, they just walk into their yard, bolt a weird plastic box to the front of their house and leave. You can imagine how some people feel about that:
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3069265/couple-furious-over-nbn-cable-installation/
http://www.southcoastregister.com.au/story/3150801/nbn-rollout-riles-some-residents/

I never not mock my Australian counterparts for their poo poo internet, gloat about my fibre to the door and good service(??!) for most part from the teleco. One of them is moving house but for the next 2 months he effectively has no internet unless he wants to plow through his mobile data to game. Technically he does have wired internet but somehow by a couple meters he has a connection so bad that has to be shared to the neighbours according to him it is expected to get 1KB/s, 25% the speed of 56K. While it seems to be an hyperbole and I can't figure out how that could happen but he isn't the type to lie. I get endless bitching and stories from them as to how bad it is from plenty of other people. Anecdotes not evidence etc this is 2018, wtf.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

boner confessor posted:

the biggest problem i see with it is that it allows you, the resident, to choose your view and freely rotate your unit... but you're not the only unit on the floor. so is everyone constantly trying to rotate the same floor, fighting their neighbors input?

i seem to recall this being quite fun back in the days of the internet-connected-no-password-required security camera threads of old

granted it's probably less fun if you're actually on the thing widely spinning around as hundreds of people try to control it

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Just that everything he made had a nasty side effect of being really really bad for civilization.

Except his contraption to deal his disability. That turned out to be a net gain for society.

The Ozone Hole, he made that.

Also , the bold part is referencing when he got polio, made a pulley system to help get out of bed easier, and got entangled and choked to death. He got OSHA'd.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

shame on an IGA posted:

oh god this gives me flashbacks to the sub-harbor-freight tier travelling tool show that was trying to sell taps with visible mold parting lines

Truly the most accursed thread.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

There's no way that is getting built

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

a kitten posted:

A visit to my hometown prompted me to look up a nearby bridge i remembered.
It's a railway bridge over the Missouri, pictured here:

quote:

Although a long bridge with one-way traffic and shared with railroad trains should have been spectacularly hazardous, a 1981 study found that it was "so dangerous that it [was] safe" because drivers were extraordinarily cautious when crossing it.
A lot of towns in Europe and the UK are removing traffic flow signage (lights, stop and yield/give way signs etc) for just this reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbsFtLkGN8

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

I never not mock my Australian counterparts for their poo poo internet, gloat about my fibre to the door and good service(??!) for most part from the teleco. One of them is moving house but for the next 2 months he effectively has no internet unless he wants to plow through his mobile data to game. Technically he does have wired internet but somehow by a couple meters he has a connection so bad that has to be shared to the neighbours according to him it is expected to get 1KB/s, 25% the speed of 56K. While it seems to be an hyperbole and I can't figure out how that could happen but he isn't the type to lie. I get endless bitching and stories from them as to how bad it is from plenty of other people. Anecdotes not evidence etc this is 2018, wtf.
Australian internet is so bad for gaming that roles are often excluded to Australians in squads from different countries. In Eve (a terrible spaceship game)™ for instance, if you were camping a gate with a group of goons, you'd not likely be picked as a drone trigger because no matter how fast your twitch reflexes were, you'd still have to make up for lag. On the other hand though, going through gate camps was marginally easier because game mechanics meant the lag was now in your favour.

gently caress Australian Internet. gently caress it in the urethra with a rusty nail...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
NBN has been a fiasco, thanks Libs!

gently caress these morons, though:

quote:

Mrs Youd said that she did not know if they had received a letter, but any mail that arrives addressed to ‘‘The Resident’’ does not get opened.
‘‘If they want to tell us something, they should have the common courtesy to put our name on the letter,’’ Mrs Youd said.
‘‘They said they had sent a letter, we don’t know if we received the letter, we don’t think we did.
‘‘We would have made arrangements that somebody was here and we would have also saved them the time it took them to get under the house.’’

"We choose not to open a bunch of mail then pretend this means we never received it"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cable Guy posted:

Australian internet is so bad for gaming that roles are often excluded to Australians in squads from different countries. In Eve (a terrible spaceship game)™ for instance, if you were camping a gate with a group of goons, you'd not likely be picked as a drone trigger because no matter how fast your twitch reflexes were, you'd still have to make up for lag. On the other hand though, going through gate camps was marginally easier because game mechanics meant the lag was now in your favour.

gently caress Australian Internet. gently caress it in the urethra with a rusty nail...

Man don't tell me I get to be smug about my internet speed for once!

I normally get 95/38 but it's peak hour, so that seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Australian internet: 6 down, 1 up
Ukrainian guys living in a warzone: 35 down/up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-nj_BwoBE

For OSHA content, check out that ork war wagon they've got.