Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Karl Barks posted:

we should set up a fund to help people move out of oklahoma imo

get out hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

I was in a construction union in my early 20's. It was ok, I also worked for a small company that said they were forced to join, or get picketed. They provided health insurance, but I never signed up because I didn't have a family or medical problems (yet) so I never really enjoyed it. It seemed like bullshit and I was very tired after work, it also annoyed me when I was told I couldn't be on a job anymore.

In my conversations with old republican men, I have been told that unions, particularly union pickets and strikes, are a cover for organized crime action and a way of enforcing protection rackets legally. I'd responded (ignorantly) that this is less often than likely.

Ruzihm posted:

capital exploits labor to maximize profit. in the case in question, it has manifested as decreasing real wages for teachers so as to cut taxes on profitable enterprise.

the strike weakens capital's grip over labor as labor asserts its societal power.

and now it's not even a normal strike which is led by potentially-opportunist labor leaders. it's a wildcat strike now.

basically wildcat strikes are so good even leftcoms like to see them.

That actually makes a lot of sense if it means what I think it does.

Steal from the youth and give to the rich?

The lack of leadership in a wildcat strike (is my interpretation correct, or should I google?) being a way of avoiding the above allegation that was made by one old white republican man, that this is all a bunch of cover for one or two people's rise to power somewhere behind the scenes.

Something mentioned in an earlier post, that would be good added to the op imo:

platzapS posted:

Solvent interpretation: "Humans exploit by nature"
-----------------

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

on a level outside of your standard 'up the proletariats' angle i'd argue that public education is currently in a race to the bottom with regard to resources and recruitment of staff. ensuring fair (or even good) wages and benefits makes teaching a more viable career that attracts better candidates that improve the quality of education. the only people benefitting from underfunding schools, teachers, and students are private education profiteers and this is a small way to correct some of the imbalances

You mean the Fiorina education plan for vouchers are good because the market handles everything in a way that keeps costs and services to a minimum? Arent the West Virginia teachers still on strike? I remember reading something about how they were offered a token pittance and refused.
Is this good for the kids?

fermun posted:

american workers seem to have forgotten how to advocate for themselves, and a strike is a big drat way of showing worker power. teachers are a pretty non-threatening face of a union and they are people that have a degree, often advanced degrees, and yet despite doing the things that they are supposed to to have a stable decent paying career, they have been screwed over hard by the american system. A statewide strike can get them the pay raises and insurance cost controls they need and encourage other states to strike as well and it can also encourage union organizing and other strikes.

Wow. Good answer. I feel like I'm learning something here. I look forward to my next dinner with that old, white, republican man who is former military.

But the kids? How are they going to be helped when people would rather make a big show of donating guns that cost hundreds of dollars than supplies that cost tens?

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Hey the OK teacher's strike is very exciting for us and worth supporting but I'd hesitate to donate any money just yet. It's not very clear who the organizers are and how the money will be spent. We're hearing from some teachers that the main organizers are anti-union and that there's a split across party lines. As well, there was previously an effort to hijack activist efforts to try and pressure the Democratic caucus to support the Republican regressive tax plan over a similar issue (btw there's an insane amendment in our constitution that requires a supermajority for any revenue increase so that is partially why we are dying a horrible painful death.) We're doing our research here and likely setting up a solidarity fund to help replace school lunches but we're trying to get in touch with the rank and file first.

Oh yeah, divide and conquer. How come all my old friends who were loudest in the occupy movement are all heroin addicts now?

bump_fn posted:

get out hillary

This is how I bond with with old white republican men.
I've been told that I'm the only democrat that doesn't loose their poo poo during conversations about politics.
To wit I am quick in my reply, every time I speak to one of these old white republican men:

I'm not a democrat, many ideologies are simply a trap to keep you mired in the dogma of that which is not what you actually believe.

Clearly I'm this is an amalgamation of what comes after I simply say "I'm not a Democrat".

Thanks all.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Oh, does anybody mind if I add the king killing association gangtag to my avatar?
I have a couple bucks and am tired of the one that belonged to fits my needs.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you seem about two raises away from being a 'listen, bub, the facts speak for themselves, can't argue against logic' conservative. hell, you're already hitting the 'but what about the children' checkbox.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
have you ever heard someone say 'if you're not a liberal in your 20s you have no heart, if you're not a conservative in your 40s you have no brain' and thought 'heh, that's pretty funny'

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does the DSA have a voting guide for the Texas primaries? I don't want to individually google all the names on this ballot

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Solvent posted:

The lack of leadership in a wildcat strike (is my interpretation correct, or should I google?) being a way of avoiding the above allegation that was made by one old white republican man, that this is all a bunch of cover for one or two people's rise to power somewhere behind the scenes.

Something mentioned in an earlier post, that would be good added to the op imo:

Organized labor is good. Unionized labor has potential to be good, and often is. But union leadership is an opportunity for leadership to sell "tamed" labor to businesses. In other words, if you're a union leader you get a cut of money from businesses for managing the unionizing of their workers in a way that doesn't threaten their profits too much.

Certainly not all unions are like that. But that is what they can be when an opportunist gets too much power.

Like you said:

Solvent posted:

In my conversations with old republican men, I have been told that unions, particularly union pickets and strikes, are a cover for organized crime action and a way of enforcing protection rackets legally. I'd responded (ignorantly) that this is less often than likely.

Being a wildcat strike, it's the workers striking in spite of their leadership telling them to stop. So at the moment, nobody profits from that. If someone does eventually step up to quell the union despite demands being unmet yeah that one person would be a rat but it's also possible that the strike end organically when demands are met.

Solvent posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense if it means what I think it does.

Steal from the youth and give to the rich?

Ya, basically stealing the means of education from the poor young (public schooling) and the means of subsistence from poor educators (public teachers) and giving to the rich.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The children will get their schooling, but only when the teachers make more than starvation wages. Until then, they can join the picket

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chucktesla posted:

The children will get their schooling, but only when the teachers make more than starvation wages. Until then, they can join the picket

Yeah, exactly. Our society's youth do need education, and that is provided by teachers, who are people, that need to be paid a living wage with benefits so they aren't trapped in the psychological terror of constantly stressing out about medical bills, life emergencies, and so on. The stability we can provide teachers through the public trust (taxes) frees them up to be effective teachers for our children. You look at the last several decades of public education funding cuts and union busting, combined with the state of kids coming out of public high schools nowadays, and it's pretty obvious what's at stake here.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

we should set up a fund to help people move out of oklahoma imo

being from oklahoma rules actually

https://twitter.com/greencountrydsa/status/970803540720603137

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does the DSA have a voting guide for the Texas primaries? I don't want to individually google all the names on this ballot

I don’t know where you are, but this is the one getting passed around in Austin: http://leftuptous.org/votersguide/

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The West Virginia teachers are actually going out of their way to ensure that their students are as little affected as possible while they assert their rights. They've even gone so far as to spend a portion of their strike funds to feed children from families that rely on school lunch programs and might otherwise go hungry while the schools are closed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I don’t know where you are, but this is the one getting passed around in Austin: http://leftuptous.org/votersguide/

Houston. I think I got it figured out through to the state board of education, but after that there's like fifty judges, how on earth could anyone have an educated opinion about all of those races?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Houston. I think I got it figured out through to the state board of education, but after that there's like fifty judges, how on earth could anyone have an educated opinion about all of those races?

These are the candidates Houston DSA directly endorses: https://houstondsa.org/2018/01/15/houston-dsa-announces-2018-primary-endorsements/

There isn't a DSA voter guide otherwise afaik

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Bring back the star 46

Worse casuality of the red scare.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

another important thing is that good schools, both what we consider k-12 and college, are vitally important to a functioning democracy. a citizenry needs to be able to understand the powers that they are interacting with and seek to dominate them for a democracy to be sustainable. the contemporary education system where the only thing that matters is marketable skills is a system to create workers, not citizens.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They are also very critical for recruitment into the gay, communist, and anarcho-skeleton agendas

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/CalNurses/status/970732717326393344

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GEEEENNNEEERRAALLLL SSSSTTRRRIIII-

*FBI kicks in door and black bags me*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

taco_fox posted:

These are the candidates Houston DSA directly endorses: https://houstondsa.org/2018/01/15/houston-dsa-announces-2018-primary-endorsements/

There isn't a DSA voter guide otherwise afaik
i like the cut of that bynum guy's jib

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i like the cut of that bynum guy's jib

Good news, he's running unopposed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

another important thing is that good schools, both what we consider k-12 and college, are vitally important to a functioning democracy. a citizenry needs to be able to understand the powers that they are interacting with and seek to dominate them for a democracy to be sustainable. the contemporary education system where the only thing that matters is marketable skills is a system to create workers, not citizens.

i went to a good school and still came away with basically no education outside of writing and math. even the economics and civics classes were highly flawed, even from a liberal perspective. and california history education is so misleading its effectively (and likely intentionally) propaganda.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What im saying is, i think education is necessary for democracy and its a big part of why things seem to be falling apart

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

heck buddies, I'd go so far as to say that a firsthand seat to a labor action this large and important is a great object lesson and maybe we can pick the times tables back up in a few weeks or so.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah if my teachers struck while i was in school it would have taught me more than every history and civics class i ever had

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I think CA has stopped forcing kids to do the Mission diorama project where you build a tiny model of a native torture camp, so that's something at least

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
man I never thought about it until I took a CA history course in college and the professor pointed out it it was like having kids build models of auschwitz

also thinking further on this I probably should talk to my mother about the decorative tiles she has depicting the missions

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Hey, weird question. My stepfather, a prominent retired local judge, was offered by the current holder of a Florida House district seat (98-Katie Edwards if you're curious) to take over her seat when she retires/seeks higher office this year. The seat is in an overwhelming dem district but both the current rep and my stepfather are lifetime NRA members (a couple miles from Parkland. Rubios public crucifixion happened walking distance from the family home) and generally awful Third Way ghouls (my stepfather thinks he's basically Karl Marx due to being the sole dem in a family of Tea Party monsters). Edwards is keeping the fact that shes leaving the seat secret to ensure a smooth transition of power and avoid a primary from the left. Who should I contact with this to try to encourage the seat being contested? My stepfather has basically said he'd drop out if it was contested because he finds "political mudflinging" to be unbearable. So even a complete nobody could potentially win the seat if they run against him.

Schizotek has issued a correction as of 11:43 on Mar 6, 2018

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

:eyepop:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

something interesting is that while working class solidarity is slowly rising, capital class solidarity seems to be dead

the WV GOP has no idea how to handle this strike. I doubt OK does either. if hospital and communication workers strike, their respective bosses will be left out to dry. late capitalism has so atomized the capital classes that they see a strike by a competitor’s workers as a good thing, because it helps them. they can’t see past their own end of quarter profits to the real risk an energized labor class poses.

this all could change, but there’s no Pinkertons out there now to crush strikes in the cradle and I doubt Xe or whatever is going to be used for that either— because now the thing the capital classes fear most is Bad Press. if they catch a whiff of the possible consequences of mass labor action things could get much worse in a hurry but for now we have this edge.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
The fundraiser for the WV teachers is going really well (with a big noticeable bump following the Chapo interview, which was fantastic btw).
https://www.gofundme.com/wv-teachers-strike-fund

Does anyone know of an official fundraiser for the OK teachers yet?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Schizotek posted:

Hey, weird question. My stepfather, a prominent retired local judge, was offered by the current holder of a Florida House district seat (98-Katie Edwards if you're curious) to take over her seat when she retires/seeks higher office this year. The seat is in an overwhelming dem district but both the current rep and my stepfather are lifetime NRA members (a couple miles from Parkland. Rubios public crucifixion happened walking distance from the family home) and generally awful Third Way ghouls (my stepfather thinks he's basically Karl Marx due to being the sole dem in a family of Tea Party monsters). Edwards is keeping the fact that shes leaving the seat secret to ensure a smooth transition of power and avoid a primary from the left. Who should I contact with this to try to encourage the seat being contested? My stepfather has basically said he'd drop out if it was contested because he finds "political mudflinging" to be unbearable. So even a complete nobody could potentially win the seat if they run against him.
I'd pick a local or state level political reporter you trust.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

something interesting is that while working class solidarity is slowly rising, capital class solidarity seems to be dead

the WV GOP has no idea how to handle this strike. I doubt OK does either. if hospital and communication workers strike, their respective bosses will be left out to dry. late capitalism has so atomized the capital classes that they see a strike by a competitor’s workers as a good thing, because it helps them. they can’t see past their own end of quarter profits to the real risk an energized labor class poses.

this all could change, but there’s no Pinkertons out there now to crush strikes in the cradle and I doubt Xe or whatever is going to be used for that either— because now the thing the capital classes fear most is Bad Press. if they catch a whiff of the possible consequences of mass labor action things could get much worse in a hurry but for now we have this edge.

I agree with most of this, but there's plenty of PMCs who would happily execute strikers for probably less than the Pinkertons ever asked

It's just tricky because if they start openly murdering people, the press may actually start covering the strikes, which would be bad. After a couple decades of the economy being rigged so that only the dumbest and most craven people end up in charge though, their response may just be to offer raffles to their employees lmao

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Our Revolution might be a good place to start:
https://www.facebook.com/MiamiforBernie2016/
https://www.facebook.com/Our-Revolution-Florida-1768067903482825/
https://www.facebook.com/orbroward/

There are also groups you can reach out to in the Progressive Alliance of South FL. Not sure how many of these are capable of fielding candidates, but take a look at future and past events to see what's out there:
https://www.meetup.com/ProgressiveSFL/events/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Epic High Five posted:

I agree with most of this, but there's plenty of PMCs who would happily execute strikers for probably less than the Pinkertons ever asked

It's just tricky because if they start openly murdering people, the press may actually start covering the strikes, which would be bad. After a couple decades of the economy being rigged so that only the dumbest and most craven people end up in charge though, their response may just be to offer raffles to their employees lmao

I’m not saying they wouldn’t be willing but they won’t be asked

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Iridium posted:

The fundraiser for the WV teachers is going really well (with a big noticeable bump following the Chapo interview, which was fantastic btw).
https://www.gofundme.com/wv-teachers-strike-fund

Does anyone know of an official fundraiser for the OK teachers yet?

There's one floating around that was started by a rumored anti-union teacher so I'd hesitate backing that one until we find out more.

Also it looks like we're gonna have to go on chapo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i would really love to watch some dipshit cnn contributor break his wrist as he tries to fire a pistol

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Chucktesla posted:

There's one floating around that was started by a rumored anti-union teacher so I'd hesitate backing that one until we find out more.

Also it looks like we're gonna have to go on chapo

yeah, exactly why i was checking. =(

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Iridium posted:

yeah, exactly why i was checking. =(

Here's the better post about the whole deal

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Hey the OK teacher's strike is very exciting for us and worth supporting but I'd hesitate to donate any money just yet. It's not very clear who the organizers are and how the money will be spent. We're hearing from some teachers that the main organizers are anti-union and that there's a split across party lines. As well, there was previously an effort to hijack activist efforts to try and pressure the Democratic caucus to support the Republican regressive tax plan over a similar issue (btw there's an insane amendment in our constitution that requires a supermajority for any revenue increase so that is partially why we are dying a horrible painful death.) We're doing our research here and likely setting up a solidarity fund to help replace school lunches but we're trying to get in touch with the rank and file first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

imo this is whats gonna happen, capitalism pretty much requires a free market so the best and brightest ubermenschen are the ones with their hands on the reigns. thankfully, this hasn't happened for at least 2 generations. the ruthless self-made men are mostly dead and the only ones left are their perfectly round dipshit children/grandchildren