Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
abet covers other not-engineering disciplines too i doubt there’s an ethics req for the materials science ones like metallurgy or ceramics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

abet covers other not-engineering disciplines too i doubt there’s an ethics req for the materials science ones like metallurgy or ceramics

mine was electronic materials

which, yeah, probably doesn't need an ethics requirement

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

so many people end up doing stuff outside their degree that a general ethics in creation or technology or engineering or whatever wouldn't be a terrible idea for a lot of disciplines.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think ethics should just be taught as a part of any education, regardless of field of study

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

also i'm pretty sure he doesn't work for them anymore and it was a while ago so i'm wondering if he's had a change of heart
lol no because he's a VC dude now he just went up the chain one level

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/military-powerpoint-karaoke-tickets-42882404426#tickets this looks amazing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
*surreptitiously removes magnets from briefcase, casually leans back in board room chair to place hands behind head*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

i think ethics should just be taught as a part of any education, regardless of field of study

"ethics?? not a stem subject! enjoy your worthless liberal arts degree, stupid!"

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

build the wall to keep out the ethics #maga #usace

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
ethic cleansing

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

President Beep posted:

ethic cleansing

It’s about ethics in engineering

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

A good start would be to have a course on the history of whatever the field is, with a focus on how it is connected with the rest of the world, what have been the more obvious failures and successes, and most importantly how to know the point where it's better to let some other field take over.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Penisface posted:

A good start would be to have a course on the history of whatever the field is, with a focus on how it is connected with the rest of the world, what have been the more obvious failures and successes, and most importantly how to know the point where it's better to let some other field take over.

this all sounds v good to me. im also glad that stuff like this was a part of my education. im all the better for it in general.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah i'm pretty sure him getting dogpiled over that is why he largely doesn't post in yospos anymore except for i think the security thread

also i'm pretty sure he doesn't work for them anymore and it was a while ago so i'm wondering if he's had a change of heart

He's a VC executive now so draw your own conclusions

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

i mean it is just straight up a Minority Report tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
did the brain magnets happen before or after the divorce and losing custody of his kid(s) in favor of the tesla

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
for me ethics was covered in a course that also recommended the textbook, "Technical Writing and Professional Communication: For Nonnative Speakers of English"

we went over resumes, cover letters, and the kansas city hyatt disaster

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

All the ethics you need to know is to not screw over the money man and don’t be a pervert.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

JawnV6 posted:

for me ethics was covered in a course that also recommended the textbook, "Technical Writing and Professional Communication: For Nonnative Speakers of English"

we went over resumes, cover letters, and the kansas city hyatt disaster

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pottawacommie/status/968568480600592390

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bhodi posted:

lol no because he's a VC dude now he just went up the chain one level

Nah he left the VC firm a little while back

fwiw I was talking to him about what they were investing in and it was like software that paired with google home / amazon alexa to remind the elderly to take their medication and contact family etc in an emergency and stuff in that vein

almost all of it was viable, useful stuff and not burpfart pianos etc

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

fwiw I was talking to him about what they were investing in and it was like software that paired with google home / amazon alexa to remind the elderly to take their medication and contact family etc in an emergency and stuff in that vein
i know at least 3 medication adherence startups, with & without hardware

huge space, ripe for unicorn harvest

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

JawnV6 posted:

There’s an iPhone app I’ve been using for a year or two called Medisafe. Thing has the option to alert specified people if you don’t take your pills. I don’t think anything like that is going to get huge until they convince an insurance company to incorporate it, or doctors.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There’s an iPhone app I’ve been using for a year or two called Medisafe. Thing has the option to alert specified people if you don’t take your pills. I don’t think anything like that is going to get huge until they convince an insurance company to incorporate it, or doctors.

My impression of the state of US healthcare is that basically anything that is not an initiative for single payer universal healthcare is going to be as useful as a band-aid on a gushing artery. But I guess in this case it is nice that VCs have chosen to solve a real problem.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Avenging_Mikon posted:

what stops you from just pressing the "yes I took the pills" button

does it work with a bluetooth pill dispenser or something

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

I suppose it only works with the fraction of forgetful people who really do know that they need their pills.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

haveblue posted:

It’s not for willful non-compliance, but it tells you what exactly to take at each interval you’ve set, so it’s good for busy/forgetful/old people. I am one of those.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It’s not for willful non-compliance, but it tells you what exactly to take at each interval you’ve set, so it’s good for busy/forgetful/old people. I am one of those.

sup forgetful olds buddy

:hfive:

switched to a weeklong pill case a couple years ago because I kept forgetting whether I took a pill I needed once a day

and honestly thought “huh, I should look into that” when someone said what Subjunctive’s fund invested in

at least it didn’t involve blockchain

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaman Linavi posted:

my bs cs is abet but i don't remember having to explicitly do an ethics course, although some kind of ethics in engineering course was offered. p sure i was able to take a class about like modern computer usage or something for the requirement.

every stem major at my university required an ethics course as well as several other core humanities courses that went beyond the basics. this was a smaller university run by a catholic order who took the idea of a well-rounded education very seriously though.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I had to take an ethics course; but I'm pretty sure I spaced out on all of it -- it was during a bad time for me

also yeah I used to just use one of those by-the-day pill reminder boxes; worked for me :shrug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/anfael_/status/970494507186728960

e: i didn't have to take an ethics course and am now drawing up plans for an art installation that can permanently deafen anyone who gets somewhat close while it's operating

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

holy poo poo yes it does

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I have a great trick to remember to take my daily pill

if I forget to take it I feel like rear end warmed over by noon, so I keep a few doses at my desk in case

now I just need to monetize withdrawal as a service

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

JawnV6 posted:

yeah it's legit a good space for development

I like to imagine them trying to use it for the ultimate medication compliance issue: schizophrenia

"No no no, you see the cylinder watches you constantly and beams the info out of state to tell people whether you took your risperidone! Why do you look so upset?"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did the brain magnets happen before or after the divorce and losing custody of his kid(s) in favor of the tesla

My only good joke ever was saying that when he went swimming he always rotated to face north

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

"ethics?? not a stem subject! enjoy your worthless liberal arts degree, stupid!"

my university had everyone in engineering taking ethics as the lecture part of the senior design capstone with weekly tests so you couldn't graduate without taking ethics

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i would suspect that abet has their universities structure it that way but I dunno enough about their accreditation requirements

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
if you wanna mock someone for working at facebook i get it but making GBS threads on someone for getting inpatient tms and electroconvulsive therapy for near catatonic bipolar depression is pretty hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

atomicthumbs posted:

e: i didn't have to take an ethics course and am now drawing up plans for an art installation that can permanently deafen anyone who gets somewhat close while it's operating

what