Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's a grey market phone and I'd rather see if there's some options I can try to get it fixed without having to send it in (unlikely, sure, but).

Otherwise, I'd probably just leave it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I installed the apk for the version of Play Services that actually makes the Check for update button work. I can confirm a slight improvement in the responsiveness of the fingerprint unlock.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Where are those new Nokia phones?

:f5:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Waiting for the Nokia 6 definitely. They say it's coming to the US in May.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There's a Nokia 6 on the grey import site I use to get cheap handsets in Australia, but it's got a Snapdragon 430 so I assume it's an older model.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's last year's Nokia 6. The new one has a bunch of giant improvements.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
With the US gov. leaning on the carriers to not sell Huawei phones. Fellow Chinese phonemaker and rivel Xiaomi is interested in expanding to the US. Although I don't see why they wouldn't fall under similar scrutiny.

https://www.techspot.com/news/73552-xiaomi-may-finally-enter-us-smartphone-market-year.html

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Just tried the "check for updates" button on my Pixel XL2...and it worked :question:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The March update on my Pixel 2XL has noticeably improved the fingerprint-to-wake time on first impression.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

The March update on my Pixel 2XL has noticeably improved the fingerprint-to-wake time on first impression.

Same, it's amazing

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same, it's amazing

It seems a lot less prone to the "finger moved too fast" error as well.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

It seems a lot less prone to the "finger moved too fast" error as well.

Whatever they broke in 8.1, this has 100% fixed it for me, the scanner is back to being flawless and fast.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i don't feel like it's that much faster but hopefully you guys are right about it being less prone to errors now because that was happening to me like 4-5 times a day

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

strap on revenge posted:

i don't feel like it's that much faster but hopefully you guys are right about it being less prone to errors now because that was happening to me like 4-5 times a day

Might be something wrong with yours, the only time mine ever errors is if my fingertip is wet/dirty.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What's this photo APK you guys are talking about and where can I get it?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've been using my Pixel 2 XL with just a fabric case because I'm really not a fan of screen protectors, and my 6P stayed pretty much pristine without one for 2 years.

However, I've picked up a tiny scratch RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the display. You can only see it when it's off or on the AOD, and even then only when the screen is otherwise very clean, but I keep noticing it and it's making me cry.

I've got a sleeve now to put it in in my pocket to protect it from stray grit, or if I forget and put it in the same pocket as my keys, but is there anything I can do about the scratch I already have? I see a bunch of DIY fixes on the internet (toothpaste etc.) but they all seem like they're essentially just gonna buff away a little bit of the oleophobic coating.

Are there any tried and tested methods or am I just going to have to learn to live with it?

e: p.s. I know I know; play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

chippy fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 6, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I'm thinking I should replace. With the S9 coming out, would I be happy with that, or a freshly discounted S8? It looks like I could trade in my S4 for $200 off of an S9.

An S8 would obviously be a big jump forward, but how much better is the S9?

I don't think the Pixel 2 is offered by them and I think it's a bit expensive anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If the S9 is in your budget, you should just get that as it will be supported longer and you seem to keep your phones a long time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

Mine never had errors. Are your hands dirty and/or wet?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Last few days, I keep getting reminders that I've already marked as finished. Anyone else seen this?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OhFunny posted:

With the US gov. leaning on the carriers to not sell Huawei phones. Fellow Chinese phonemaker and rivel Xiaomi is interested in expanding to the US. Although I don't see why they wouldn't fall under similar scrutiny.

https://www.techspot.com/news/73552-xiaomi-may-finally-enter-us-smartphone-market-year.html

Huawei seems to get more poop because it was started by a former Chinese army engineer, but yeah I'd assume Xiaomi would probably also get pooped on to some degree.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Right now, the new fun is Qualcomm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-43297021

The government just put the brakes on a takeover by Singapore based Broadcom.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

chippy posted:

Last few days, I keep getting reminders that I've already marked as finished. Anyone else seen this?

Yes, this has been happening for a week or two. I have to go into the Google app and manually remove them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Right now, the new fun is Qualcomm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-43297021

The government just put the brakes on a takeover by Singapore based Broadcom.

So much for the free market in the US.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reminders, quite frankly, are a shitshow. Once you add a Wear device and Homes it's laughable how random where they show becomes. As for dismissing I don't think I've ever had dismissing sync across devices correctly, not even once, for a daily reminder I have. The one time I tried to dismiss the reminder from Wear it cancelled the reminder altogether so it no longer recurred though thankfully the new only shows up only shows up on Wear maybe 1 out of 20 times it happens so there's not a lot of temptation to do that again.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Huawei seems to get more poop because it was started by a former Chinese army engineer, but yeah I'd assume Xiaomi would probably also get pooped on to some degree.

XIaomi has a way worse history than Huawei. And I'm not talking about backdoors to china or whatever, their MIUI was(is?) filled with pirated software and kernels. They been cleaning a lot of their act since their expansion to the Indian, and now EU markets, both markets where other phone makers and whatnot forced them to act correctly because of patent issues.(why they don't sell their mediatek devices outside of mainland China)

So I doubt that Xiaomi is going to manage where Huawei failed, and Huawei actually did it's homework to get into the US market proper.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

orange sky posted:

What's this photo APK you guys are talking about and where can I get it?

It's the Pixel's camera software, re-packaged to run on whatever.
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-mod-portrait-mode-lens-blur-4k-video/
https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 6, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Guillermus posted:

Eh, in this case I think the free market is better off with more competition in semiconductors.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LastInLine posted:

Reminders, quite frankly, are a shitshow. Once you add a Wear device and Homes it's laughable how random where they show becomes. As for dismissing I don't think I've ever had dismissing sync across devices correctly, not even once, for a daily reminder I have. The one time I tried to dismiss the reminder from Wear it cancelled the reminder altogether so it no longer recurred though thankfully the new only shows up only shows up on Wear maybe 1 out of 20 times it happens so there's not a lot of temptation to do that again.

Yeah, I've noticed that dismissing on different devices doesn't work, but I've marked this same once as 'Finished' on my Pixel at least 3 times in the last 24 hours and it just keeps popping up again.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, this has been happening for a week or two. I have to go into the Google app and manually remove them.

Welp, sure it'll clear up at some point then, as long as it's not just me!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CornHolio posted:

So, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I'm thinking I should replace. With the S9 coming out, would I be happy with that, or a freshly discounted S8? It looks like I could trade in my S4 for $200 off of an S9.

An S8 would obviously be a big jump forward, but how much better is the S9?

I don't think the Pixel 2 is offered by them and I think it's a bit expensive anyway.

Things S9 improves over S8:

- Much louder stereo speakers with fancy stuff like AKG tuning and Dolby Atmos and poo poo like that. A Galaxy phone with speakers that don't suck? Haha I won't believe it.
- Camera that sorta reaches Pixel 2 quality levels. The hardware is there, but the software is, of course, not as good.
- Brighter screen with less sun glare according to one reviewer.
- CPU is more power efficient which means better battery life. It is also a lot more powerful, but that won't matter because:
- Lots of fancy new software that gives you lots of new opportunities to experience the Samsung jank.

I'm getting one since my carrier is T-Mobile and the S9 supports LTE Band 71 (600MHz), which is T-Mobile's future goal for improved service coverage and 5G stuff. There's already some band 71 stuff set up in places I visit so I want to take advantage of the improved service.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

- Lots of fancy new software that gives you lots of new opportunities to experience the Samsung jank.

Note 8 "Samsung Jank" was so minimal I prefer it in some ways over my Pixel 2 XL. I highly doubt the S9 lag will be bad at all, Samsung has put extraordinary effort into this recently.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is the Note line much different from the regular Galaxy S line? I always just thought it was a bigger Galaxy S.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guillermus posted:

Although not perfect, generally capitalist economies try to prevent the formation of monopolies and the reduction of consumer choice. A truly "free" market isn't free at all.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is the Note line much different from the regular Galaxy S line? I always just thought it was a bigger Galaxy S.

Size, stylus and attendant functionality, one headline feature lacking on the Galaxy line (e.g. dual cameras this time around).

I flashed Oreo onto my S8. Side-by-side to my friend's P2 it's equally smooth and lagless now.
Honestly I think any flagship based on 835 or 845 is going to be lag free regardless of OEM interference. We're over a basic baseline now where the hardware being thrown at the problem is a solution even without optimisations being done.
The S9 and Note 8 beat the iPhone 8/X in some testing scenarios purely because they're throwing 6Gb of RAM around.

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

chippy posted:

Yep constantly. Good to know it's not just me. Sometimes days later it will reappear.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Khablam posted:

Honestly I think any flagship based on 835 or 845 is going to be lag free regardless of OEM interference. We're over a basic baseline now where the hardware being thrown at the problem is a solution even without optimisations being done.

The S9 and Note 8 beat the iPhone 8/X in some testing scenarios purely because they're throwing 6Gb of RAM around.

S8 was Snapdragon 835 and I can see jank on mine (especially right after you unlock it, it takes a couple seconds before it becomes smooth).

Keep in mind that the normal S9 is only 4GB of RAM. Only the Note 8 and the S9+ have 6GB. This might help with the Samsung Jank. I guess we'll know when the S9 is released and if the 4GB version has a bunch of jank and the 6GB version does not.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I'm running preproduction software on it but my work normal S9 has a hair more jank than the Note 8 which has close to none on retail firmware. Could be the lesser RAM or, more likely, not having final retail software on it yet.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I checked for updates on my Pixel 2 and nothing, guess it may not be live in every country yet? :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still got nothing in the US on T-Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I wasn't getting the update until I installed the play services version 12 APK and then got it immediately

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine never had errors. Are your hands dirty and/or wet?

not any dirtier or wetter than when I was using the 6p scanner without issue