Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Schadenboner posted:

I love Solar Aux so goddamn much, I just wish I could find something to use the Dracosan as in 40k.

Forgeworld resin isn't a dealbreaker but having all those blocks useable in only one of two games kinda is.

:shrug:

Probably pretty close to Stygies Thunderers/Destroyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ghazk posted:

Probably pretty close to Stygies Thunderers/Destroyers

I thought the Draco was on a Malcador chassis not a Russ though?

E: they could be Malcadors though, obviously. I could be the first kid on my block to field multiple Super-Heavy Detachments! :smugissar:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 1, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Solar Auxilia is super sexy, and the new transport solves my issue with Dracosan.

Both of them are quite useless in Zone Mortalis, though.

Which I'm 99% guaranteed to play today.

Which will break the seal of "no more HH models until I get a game in."

God(-Emperor) help us all.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

JcDent posted:

Solar Auxilia is super sexy, and the new transport solves my issue with Dracosan.

Both of them are quite useless in Zone Mortalis, though.

Which I'm 99% guaranteed to play today.

Which will break the seal of "no more HH models until I get a game in."

God(-Emperor) help us all.

I’ve only seen/played a little ZM and haven’t played with my aux yet but I’d tend to think they’d be excellent at it. Void armor on everything is a real advantage, and things like flamer sections, storm sections with both volkite and axes, ogryns, mechanicum squads with plasma and castellax are all going to be really effective. Even lasrifle sections seem fine since they can split into 2 squads and clog up objectives.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, I don't really care about their effectiveness - the only real downside to SA is price and it's cousin "these miniatures are too expensive for me to gently caress up while painting."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Like, I made this joke list with idea of mak8ng a 1k ZM list cheaper than 300 euros

quote:

++ Zone Mortalis - Combatant (Solar Auxilia) [1000pts] ++

+ Elites +
Auxilia Ogryn Charonite Squad [185pts]: 3x Ogryn Charonite

Household Retinue Squad [210pts]: Power Axes, Shroud Bombs . Prime: Plasma Pistol, Power Fist

+ HQ +

Auxilia Tactical Command Section [75pts]: Veteran Auxiliaries, Veteran Auxiliaries . Strategos: Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol

Lord Marshal [200pts]: Archaeotech pistol, Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Digital Lasers, Grav-wave generator, Infravisor, Iron Halo, Lord Marshal, Master-crafted weapon, Paragon Blade, Psi-jammer

+ Troops +

Auxilia Infantry Tercio [330pts] .

Veletaris Storm Section: Shroud Bombs . . Prime: Plasma Pistol, Power Fist .

Veletaris Storm Section: Shroud Bombs . . Prime: Plasma Pistol, Power Fist

+ Allegiance + Allegiance: Loyalist

++ Total: [1000pts] ++

I failed! Also, this list has fewer models than my DG list, lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Laser bois and their tanks are pretty much done. Slightly better than usual quality pix to celebrate.

Hopefully I’ll get a unit of quad mortars and maybe some fliers done before I take a trip in April.

I’m really impressed with how much you’ve improved in a very short time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same. The weathering on those tanks is so... clean? minimal? I don't know the right word for it, but it's good. I wanna see you paint your arvus in the same style.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Aw thanks :shobon:

I think a fair chunk of it is that this style is a lot more forgiving of mistakes than how I do my dork angles. It’s not as necessary to be perfectly clean and sharp and a lot of accidents end up looking good anyway.

As for the flyers, I think I want them less weathered than the ground stuff but I plan on chipping up the leading edges of the wings and maybe doing some soot to make it look like they entered from orbit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Played first game of HH and ZM, 1k pts, my DG vs. a bud's Custodes.

A heavy support Sarge survived by running away.

The Custodes lost two wounds on Sentinel Guard squad, two wounds on Custodian Guard squad and a HP on Galatus.

The Shield Captain almost did some fighting.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
With that sort of matchup, your friend really wants you to keep playing HH

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

With that sort of matchup, your friend really wants you to keep playing HH

It was the first game for both of us. Galatus aside, I dunno what could he have done to defang his list more. I could have taken meltas on Support and Multimeltas on Heavy support squads. Not much to be done about Tactical bolter fire failing to dent Sentinels.

E: Also, what the fuckity with Android Battlescribe not showing rules or weapon profiles?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Custodes on an open table aren't really a fair matchup. Custodes in ZM are brutal, especially since he took a shield captain. They're just undercoated and hard to counter unless you tailor.

A way you guys can self-regulate is to limit his shield captain to taking either the cyber familiar OR the ability to re-roll invulns. People online advocate a 20-25% points handicap if you want to keep it friendly. One of their weaknesses is armor, so you want a contemptor or two to fight his troops in ZM.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
You can also focus on objective based missions, since the emperors bananas usually have problems holding multiple objectives.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

His shield captained stayed in the reserves until turn 4 and didn't do poo poo in the game.

Galatus took Rapid Fire plasma to the face (first casualty of the game was a Gets Hot! which is why I love plasma), ran through the support squad, stood calmly through plasma cannon fire from my dread and then hosed it up in CC. I dunno if any non-Leviathan can take it on.

4 Sentinels chopped through 20 tacs, including two Power scythe challenges.

The Delegatus surprised me by being just W2 while the chainfist - which I forgot was MC - just couldn't ID the S5 custodian guard.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Custodes as a standalone army are a mistake, they should have been nothing more than allies or single unit additions to armies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I signed up for a 30k ZM event at NOVA and I am pretty happy that my to-do list seems pretty manageable. It's only 1000 points and if I want to use my list from LVO I only have to paint 5 heavy weapons marines, 5 special weapons marines, two dreadnoughts, and a character or two. I feel pretty :smug: when I see people in the 40k thread freaking out about signing up for 3k events. There's no way in hell I'd be able to get a 3k list ready in 6 months. Especially with all the tanks I'd need for Ironwing. I'm really glad there's a smaller-scale event and ZM's loving great.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

I signed up for a 30k ZM event at NOVA and I am pretty happy that my to-do list seems pretty manageable. It's only 1000 points and if I want to use my list from LVO I only have to paint 5 heavy weapons marines, 5 special weapons marines, two dreadnoughts, and a character or two. I feel pretty :smug: when I see people in the 40k thread freaking out about signing up for 3k events. There's no way in hell I'd be able to get a 3k list ready in 6 months. Especially with all the tanks I'd need for Ironwing. I'm really glad there's a smaller-scale event and ZM's loving great.

How many Jetbikes you running?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Are you bringing Magnus?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Booley posted:

I painted a thing.

Red recipe?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

From the painting thread:
Silver undercoat (I used ForgeWorld Iron Hand Steel, but if I did it again I'd probably use Vallejo Metal Color Steel instead), with a zenithal highlight (I used Vallejo Metal Color Duraluminum). Then do some shading with ForgeWorld Calth Blue and Mortarion Green, and then about 15 layers of Angron Red.

Its all explained in the FW Horus Heresy masterclass book. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/...del-Masterclass

The silver banding is washed with both nuln oil and drakenhof nightshade (blue) to build color temperature contrast against the red.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
A tank cool enough it belongs in 30k.
This was a bit of a slog, I pre-ordered it when it released and built it fairly quickly, but then had it sitting around primed and untouched for a few months. I'm not a fan of the base, its slightly angled so you can rotate it to get a different angle, but I'd really prefer if it was just flat. I threw the biggest magnets I had in there to hold it together, but they're not really quite strong enough. Oh well, its functional enough.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Is there any demand for MkIII marines? I have 97 of them (and 7 MkIV marines) and I'm wondering if I should try selling them all as one big lot or just sell them in squads of 10 on eBay.

57 Bolters
3 Bolt Pistol and Power Fist
8 Autocannons
8 Missile Launchers
7 Heavy Bolter
10 Plasma Gun
10 Melta Gun

Should I just go by regular Space Marine selling prices?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: Paging TTerrible :frogsiren:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Unfortunately, I now own the maximum number of tactical marines it is possible to field in a single 30k force organisation chart. if you'd posted these last week :negative:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So I never got around to actually playing this terrible dead game as I was playing the other terrible less-dead game. But I suddenly find myself with a Dorn model gifted from a friend so uh. What should I slowly throw money at for a not totally awful Imperial Fists army?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Unfortunately, I now own the maximum number of tactical marines it is possible to field in a single 30k force organisation chart. if you'd posted these last week :negative:

No worries, really just on the hunt for information. Considering using them as Chaos Marines for 40k.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Bombogenesis posted:

So I never got around to actually playing this terrible dead game as I was playing the other terrible less-dead game. But I suddenly find myself with a Dorn model gifted from a friend so uh. What should I slowly throw money at for a not totally awful Imperial Fists army?

Fists have very good basic tacticals and terminators, so most lists can start from there and be pretty solid. They also have some excellent special characters and decent unique units, so those might be options to explore.

Generally strong units that aren’t necessarily fists specific are leviathan dreads, Spartans, lightning fighters, javelin speeders, quad mortars and veterans. Good tanks include generic and arcus sicarans, whirlwind scorpiuses and laser destroyer vindicators. If you take nothing but those things people will probably get a little salty at you, but if you mix them in sparingly with an army that has other stuff you’ll be fine. The only real trap unit in the legion book is destroyer squads, which is a shame because they have A+ fluff. Fists are too goody-goody to really use them though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Betrayal at Calth box is a great place to start with Fists if you don't mind MK IVs. You get 30 dudes who can be your Tacs, Vets and Supports, you get Cataphracti termies, two models for commanders and a monopose Contemptor that will inspire you to cut up a dread.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Also, the thread says that Breachers are cool while also not being cheesy, so you should load up on them, too.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Breachers are garbage that you take because:
1. They look amazing
2. You feel bad about taking 6 rapiers, a scorpius, an arcus and 2x10 sniper vets and want to give your opponent a chance

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Breachers are probably my favorite thing about the Heresy.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Sulecrist posted:

I am a sucker for huge shields. Sold.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those looking drat great, Sulecrist.

10 man squads with melta bombs are actually pretty decent anti tank. They're a defensive unit against things like knights. In a dreadclaw they can also do work against parking lots.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I think the only solidly bad units are Destroyers. Everything else is at least okay.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thunder

hawk

transporter

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Mastodon is a pretty sweet looking piece of poo poo.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Most LoW choices seem to either be incredibly good or extremely lackluster. Not a whole lot of “it’s fine I guess.” Cerberuses maybe?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sulecrist posted:

those look great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

panascope posted:

The Mastodon is a pretty sweet looking piece of poo poo.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. I've killed my buddy's pretty quickly, literally every game he's used it, so I tend to forget it even exists.