Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
What I find funny about the multiple parks is that Westworld would almost definitely be my last choice to visit. It's like the Hollywood Studios of Delos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shneak posted:

What I find funny about the multiple parks is that Westworld would almost definitely be my last choice to visit. It's like the Hollywood Studios of Delos.

Well when you gave hosed your way through the other parks, sometimes you might want something a little different. Plus maybe Westworld is the only one with guns?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shneak posted:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend my $20,000 robot fuckin and drinkin vacation on goddamn ShogunLand.

Unless the A plot is literally Ninja Naruto training, I have a hard time seeing how someone outside of the CEO of Oracle sets that as their A choice.
Ok, strike that. I'm sure there's tons of folks that want to be The Blind Swordsman or The Last Samurai and bang a small army of Geisha.

The multiple parks thing makes Ford's role a little less spectacular, though.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't spend my 20,000 robot fuckin and drinkin vacation on goddamn ShogunLand.

Unless the A plot is literally Ninja Naruto training, I have a hard time seeing how someone outside of the CEO of Oracle sets that as their A choice.

The multiple parks thing makes Ford's role a little less spectacular, though.

I’m guessing westworld was the first.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing westworld was the first.
Yeah, you have to figure that its their most popular destination spot.
They've probably got the rest of the parks locked down tightly, with their own guys doing character scripting and plot development.

Meanwhile Ford is tooling around Fantasyland in his own little reconstruction era fiefdom and ita driving the board nuts because it's not like they're going to tell Walt Disney to gently caress off with this Fantasia bullshit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The other parks just employ human prostitutes with experience in community theater, which is good enough for what most visitors want.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

business hammocks posted:

The other parks just employ human prostitutes with experience in community theater, which is good enough for what most visitors want.

Does that mean you can't shoot them in the face?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does that mean you can't shoot them in the face?

CIF always costs extra

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wouldn’t be surprised if West world was the only complete world and the other worlds were something Ford protested.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really got the feeling that the other parks weren’t open yet, and that Westworld was the only one open to the public//finished testing-debugging, because there is no indication in any flashbacks of other parks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

I really got the feeling that the other parks weren’t open yet, and that Westworld was the only one open to the public//finished testing-debugging, because there is no indication in any flashbacks of other parks.

My take was that WW was the Disney World, and the other parks were more recent attempts to further commercialize on their product (think Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc). So even if the other parks are newer or more interesting, nostalgia and the simple fact of ~first~ makes WestWorld the biggest draw. WestWorld is also family-oriented...I imagine ShogunWorld is a little more stark. Not as many opportunities for quaint picnics in the Sengoku Jidai.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My take was that WW was the Disney World, and the other parks were more recent attempts to further commercialize on their product (think Epcot, Animal Kingdom, etc). So even if the other parks are newer or more interesting, nostalgia and the simple fact of ~first~ makes WestWorld the biggest draw. WestWorld is also family-oriented...I imagine ShogunWorld is a little more stark. Not as many opportunities for quaint picnics in the Sengoku Jidai.

I'm pretty sure Feudal Japan wasn't any more warlike than the Old West. Like normal people actually lived lives and were happy there. They farmed, had towns and markets, wrote poetry, loved. It wasn't a hellhole. Pretty much any setting could have a "family" version and a more hardcore one. But I do agree, WW was probably the first, the biggest, and the one that Ford spent all his time on. It's probably also why William was so obsessed with it. He wasn't going to get THE ANSWERS in some spinoff park.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Astroman posted:

I'm pretty sure Feudal Japan wasn't any more warlike than the Old West. Like normal people actually lived lives and were happy there. They farmed, had towns and markets, wrote poetry, loved. It wasn't a hellhole. Pretty much any setting could have a "family" version and a more hardcore one. But I do agree, WW was probably the first, the biggest, and the one that Ford spent all his time on. It's probably also why William was so obsessed with it. He wasn't going to get THE ANSWERS in some spinoff park.

In a park setting I imagine your clientele would be after the inaccurate stereotype of geishas, testing katana sharpness on random peasants, and honor duels. And any other "how people envision feudal Edo" things

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Feudal Edo would actually be marvelous for a less macho demographic than Westworld. Edo had a well developed consumer culture called the Floating World. Shopping, artists, theatre, intrigue and romance, even a highly ritualized criminal culture for the darker side of things.

But I imagine that's the kind of hopeful thought Ford had about the wild west before everyone just murderfucked all his NPCs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Dave posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if West world was the only complete world and the other worlds were something Ford protested.

Yeah, if Ford was entirely focused on WW and also the only one who could get the AI to work I could see the plot beat about other parks being less complete versions. I mean a huge part of Tessa Thompson's story arc was how hard it is to get a robot out of WW to reverse engineer it. Of course, if they really did season 2 rewrites after everyone guessed Thandie Newton's story twist who knows what still matters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azhais posted:

In a park setting I imagine your clientele would be after the inaccurate stereotype of geishas, testing katana sharpness on random peasants, and honor duels. And any other "how people envision feudal Edo" things

Well that's kind of how West World is. There's all kinds of gun fights, and train robberies. Then you ride into town and there's a bunch of attractive whores.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s that about rewrites for Thandie?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Surely you've noticed the bias where "It's a robot = not cheating." I'm guessing that drives it extensively. That stupid little technicality that makes people sleep okay at night.

There's also the fact that real women won't have infinite self-disinfecting parts to insure nobody gets an STD

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blazing Ownager posted:

Surely you've noticed the bias where "It's a robot = not cheating." I'm guessing that drives it extensively. That stupid little technicality that makes people sleep okay at night.

There's also the fact that real women won't have infinite self-disinfecting parts to insure nobody gets an STD

They don't care about STDs...or probably any diseases. One of the hosts has a MRSA infection or something and they're just like "haha welp, a few more rounds in the fucktank and I guess we'll cure her then?" :shrug:

Doesn't Ed Harris at one point say that they gave the hosts :airquote: human :airquote: bodies because they are easier/cheaper to repair than tech?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They don't care about STDs...or probably any diseases. One of the hosts has a MRSA infection or something and they're just like "haha welp, a few more rounds in the fucktank and I guess we'll cure her then?" :shrug:

Doesn't Ed Harris at one point say that they gave the hosts :airquote: human :airquote: bodies because they are easier/cheaper to repair than tech?

Yeah, the synthetic human bodies are cheaper to mass produce/less complicated to repair than if they were OG models like in the young Will stuff.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bust Rodd posted:

:same:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, Maeve left off on a boring video game rampage trite satan storming the gates of heaven B plot while the rest of the show was busy being interesting, maybe they put some work into taking it into a direction that's not beneath the standards set by the rest of the show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty famously rewrote chunks of S2 because of a Reddit thread perfectly nailing projected plot beats and I’m happy with what we got but it seems, uh, unproffesional to announce that’s what you’re doing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick & Morty famously rewrote chunks of S2 because of a Reddit thread perfectly nailing projected plot beats

First I've heard of it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They very well could have been joking but Nolan has said he didn't think Maeve getting off the train being her first original decision to be so obvious to watchers and that he's going have to change some things if he wants to keep people guessing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think writers should just ignore fan predictions. Just keep the original plan and let the few spergs say "HURF DURF I PREDICTED IT, ME AM SO SMART" I'd rather deal with the two idiots in this thread who quote themselves and say "I called it" despite all the other posts they made that were wrong than get a bottom of the barrel plot that no one predicted yet. The people who figured it out won't admit they were wrong, they'll just say "I was right, but then they changed it" anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got really mad when LOST would change plots based on viewers. Have confidence in your story, even if people can predict it. I think people were calling the William/MiB thing after the fourth episode, it was still an awesome reveal at the end!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

One of the hosts has a MRSA infection or something and they're just like "haha welp, a few more rounds in the fucktank and I guess we'll cure her then?" :shrug:

Cite your sources pls, tia

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

I got really mad when LOST would change plots based on viewers. Have confidence in your story, even if people can predict it. I think people were calling the William/MiB thing after the fourth episode, it was still an awesome reveal at the end!

They've denied ever doing this though. It changed due to contracting and scheduling and casting issues but the idea that they were rewriting it in response to fans successfully guessing plot twists was just internet commentators huffing their own farts when their predictions wound up being wrong.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Professor Shark posted:

LOST didn't have any plots. This is evident on rewatch, when everytime they come to a new ~mystery~, they throw out three or four wads of spaghetti and it is nearly always the first one because the fanbase was dumb:

*Jack and crew come upon a hatch in the forrest*
Jack: It's a hatch to a secret monitor base!
Sawyer: It's a way off the island!
Kate: It's filled with icecream!
Sayid: We are all dead...

It was the first one. It's always the first one. I mean, the most obvious tell that they had no idea what they were doing or where they were going with anything is the knowledge that Sawyer is the ONLY character on that show with any kind of arc. Everyone else doesn't even have a moment of introspection. FFS, why did Charlie even die? Oh that's right: it was pointless schlock to make the audience sad...

KoRMaK posted:

Cite your sources pls, tia

S1E2 @ 45:30 Elsie comments that Maeve is experiencing physical discomfort. Then at 51:40 Felix and his buddy find out it is MRSA in her abdomen that has been there through multiple cycles because "those loving animals don't clean up...no wonder we have a loving fly problem."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think Nicki and Paulo where really the one big time LOST piveted based on viewers. Really they had an idea of what they wanted to do but then had to add tons of half-baked filler because ABC never wanted them to stop making episodes.

It's okay though because we have The Leftovers and it's perfect.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I liked when two characters on Lost randomly died because they both got DUIs IRL.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Dave posted:

I think Nicki and Paulo where really the one big time LOST piveted based on viewers. Really they had an idea of what they wanted to do but then had to add tons of half-baked filler because ABC never wanted them to stop making episodes.

It's okay though because we have The Leftovers and it's perfect.

Agreed on both counts! Nicki and Paulo were what I was thinking of, and I just assumed since they did it once that they did it repeatedly, and also The Leftovers was Lost done right and improved upon it in every way.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Cojawfee posted:

I think writers should just ignore fan predictions. Just keep the original plan and let the few spergs say "HURF DURF I PREDICTED IT, ME AM SO SMART" I'd rather deal with the two idiots in this thread who quote themselves and say "I called it" despite all the other posts they made that were wrong than get a bottom of the barrel plot that no one predicted yet. The people who figured it out won't admit they were wrong, they'll just say "I was right, but then they changed it" anyway.

Same. A show can be predictable but still be good. You can get spoiled on a show or movie and still watch it and be entertained because it is not only about the story being told but how it is told.

And yeah, most of the predictions were wrong.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People were often citing plot changes in the middle of the season, which would be literally impossible given that the entire season was finished weeks in advance of the season premiere.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

People were often citing plot changes in the middle of the season, which would be literally impossible given that the entire season was finished weeks in advance of the season premiere.

Shhh, let the beardos have their own moment of imagined triumph against a creative force that was thankfully willfully unaware of their existence and output.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

If you're talking Westworld or Rick and Morty, sure. LOST, not so much.

LOST filmed during airing, as do most shows that start in September, though it would have been about a half dozen episodes further along.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bust Rodd posted:

The most important and lasting impression I have from The Matrix was the celerity with which machines ditches bipedal shapes. They remain as humanoids up until they no longer need to interact with humans politically and then they go all Lovecraftian. Terminator is cool but all the skeleton-men are extremely dated and the way the robots from The Matrix series are all these weird amorphous shapes based off practical, streamlined applications and now every time robots are presented as Androids I get huffy, so in my wildest dreams the Westworld hosts will eventually rehaul the manufacturing center and be like "uh, ok, gimme a horse body and a tiger mouth where the belly is and bull horns and like 10 loving wings with hydraulic motors so i can fly like a humming bird and..."
Their consciousnesses have taken form inside a human body, not sure they would ditch that body plan so readily. Like, do you think most people would jump at the chance to adopt a chimeric body because it was more efficient, if it was somehow possible? Just because they're robots doesn't mean they don't have feelings and sentiment. Plus being social creatures are like the main advantage people have, robot or otherwise - deviation from a common body plan could undermine that to the detriment of the robot in question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Who knows, we don't understand A.I at all and in the last 50 years have made almost no effective strides towards real A.I at all. We don't even understand how our own brains work, how are we supposed to create something similiar through fuckin programming code lol

What is a memory, exactly? We can see the electrical impulses in a brain but we don't know why the gently caress it results in feelings or consciousness or thoughts