Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

are we not done with the knack meme yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't figure out that the devs who made Unfinished Swan made Edith Finch until the one story and area that was literally just that whole game summed up in a minute. :v:

Finished it in a couple hours, but it was a really good two hours. I didn't think that I'd kill myself as a baby in that two hours though. :stare:

Manatee Cannon posted:

What meme

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

so that's a no then

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

*CHARGES UP TO FULL RECOMMENDATION POWER*

PLAY HORIZON ZERO DAWN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IT IS AMAZING

Yeah, let’s just go ahead and do that now.

HZD is awesome and you should play it. Post apocalyptic world, amazing female protagonist, robot dinosaurs, you have to play it.

Infamous Second Son and its DLC First Light are awesome sorta comic book hero sandboxes set in Seattle. They are both pretty short but very fun and beautiful games.

The Uncharted series are top notch. There are 4 mainline games and 1 stand alone DLC. The first 3 have been remastered into the Nathan Drake collection and that frequently goes on sale. They are like Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider in that you explore various countries on a quest for a magical item. Great writing and storytelling ensues. Uncharted is good.

Did you play Shadow of the Colossus back in the day? If not, pick up the remaster.

Spider Man PS4 is coming soon. It looks gorgeous.

Do not play The Order 1886. Even if it’s less than $10 don’t do it.

Oh, and get Knack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morby posted:

Yeah, let’s just go ahead and do that now.

HZD is awesome and you should play it. Post apocalyptic world, amazing female protagonist, robot dinosaurs, you have to play it.

Infamous Second Son and its DLC First Light are awesome sorta comic book hero sandboxes set in Seattle. They are both pretty short but very fun and beautiful games.

The Uncharted series are top notch. There are 4 mainline games and 1 stand alone DLC. The first 3 have been remastered into the Nathan Drake collection and that frequently goes on sale. They are like Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider in that you explore various countries on a quest for a magical item. Great writing and storytelling ensues. Uncharted is good.

Did you play Shadow of the Colossus back in the day? If not, pick up the remaster.

Spider Man PS4 is coming soon. It looks gorgeous.

Do not play The Order 1886. Even if it’s less than $10 don’t do it.

Oh, and get Knack.

To add to this, Wipeout is fantastic and you should get that too. Until Dawn is good and play it with a few friends and decide together how you want to get dumb teens murdered. The Order is bad and I regret my five dollars and time.

Get Knack 2

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got Horizon ZD on sale because I heard it was good and not only have I never played it, I’ve never even seen it in person.

Sounds like I made a good pick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Second Son starts to wear out its welcome once you leave from the main path, but it’s pretty fun. It’s obviously not a 1:1 recreation of the city but it nails the major landmarks and the feel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ad usque knackus

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think Second Son starts to wear out its welcome once you leave from the main path, but it’s pretty fun. It’s obviously not a 1:1 recreation of the city but it nails the major landmarks and the feel.

Ad usque knackus

I still come back to Second Son every now and again because the moveset feels so good to me. The only game like it for me is Saints IV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It's the game this 'generation' will be remembered for.
tales of berseria?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

For a game like Wipeout, sure, the difference is likely imperceptible since it's already optimized for a smooth framerate but something like HZD (if you haven't heard, it's a Good Game) is going to look radically different despite playing/sounding the same.

Tbh I can barely see a difference with HZD on pro vs OG PS4 at all.

So far, outside of a few random games with pretty substantial upgrades (SOTC and..maybe some others?) the biggest benefit I've got from the Pro is that it makes VR look quite a bit better. Which isn't insignificant because I use my PSVR a ton.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 6, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Add me onto the list of people praising HZD, currently playing through it and I’m pretty obsessed. That being said it probably won’t be the game this generation is known for because like.....Breath of the Wild exists

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I dunno I honestly prefer HZD in some ways. I played them right in a row and hold them on equal footing. HZD is basically the penultimate standard issue open world game. It's not risky at all, but it has a great story, unmatched visuals, great combat and a solid mission framework. Zelda is a little ballsier, more intriguing and has more potential for cool emergent gameplay but it's also a slog sometimes.

I don't think either one the best game of the generation, but I will admit they will be some of the most iconic.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm not going to tell anyone to not try HZD, but I found it really boring. Way too much focus on navigating menus (MHW and Last of Us do crafting so much better), I never got into the fighting, and 90% of the game is yet another icon-hunting open world game. The story is mediocre, none of the characters engaging, and I honestly regret buying it at all. Witcher 3 devs were involved with the game, which is apparent from the mediocre fighting and, frankly, lousy UI. It has a loot box system (no real money involved) and Diablo-like loot which did it no favors.

You already bought it so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t you craft arrows and stuff from the wheel where you select what weapon/kind of arrow you wanna use?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

I'm not going to tell anyone to not try HZD, but I found it really boring. Way too much focus on navigating menus (MHW and Last of Us do crafting so much better), I never got into the fighting, and 90% of the game is yet another icon-hunting open world game. The story is mediocre, none of the characters engaging, and I honestly regret buying it at all. Witcher 3 devs were involved with the game, which is apparent from the mediocre fighting and, frankly, lousy UI. It has a loot box system (no real money involved) and Diablo-like loot which did it no favors.

You already bought it so I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

I think MHW does everything HZD does but way loving better, gameplay wise. HZD's story is decent though, and worth playing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MHW seems like HZD for more stats-y strategy-type people. I like beating big robots in the face with my spear

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think MHW does everything HZD does but way loving better, gameplay wise. HZD's story is decent though, and worth playing.

That is partially true. MHW is better at being grindy, at being less accessible, at having less robots and at being overhyped.

HZD is better at everything else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MHW was fine for a bit but I've never enjoyed grinding the same poo poo over and over again for loot and that was no exception

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Can’t you craft arrows and stuff from the wheel where you select what weapon/kind of arrow you wanna use?

Yes absolutely. I have no idea what he's talking about.

I'd play HZD over MHW any day personally. Like, on every conceivable level I like it 10X more except I think MH world's creatures are probably cooler than the robots from Horizon imho.

Either way they aren't even remotely comparable games aside from some really surface level stuff. I have no idea how monster hunter does it better when they aren't even the same genre or structure style of gameplay.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hopper posted:

That is partially true. MHW is better at being grindy, at being less accessible, at having less robots and at being overhyped.

lol

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Is there anyway to take a video clip of a game, and then later be able to put your voice over it on the PS4 (without pulling the video to your computer)? Or even while playing?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hopper posted:

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anora posted:

Is there anyway to take a video clip of a game, and then later be able to put your voice over it on the PS4 (without pulling the video to your computer)? Or even while playing?

Sharefactory should let you do it, I imagine.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I'll have to check it out, wanna talk over all my videos like the cool kids on the you tubes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I deleted Bloodborne to make room for Knack

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It's weird hearing Horizon being compared to BotW since I played Horizon at launch and had a fantastic time with it and then bought a Switch after Christmas and genuinely can't stand Zelda. It seems unfair to criticise BotW for its graphics given it's on Switch but as a point of comparison Horizon is miles better. The controls are awkward and unintuitive in Zelda which is a crotchety old man kind of thing to say but that's how it felt to play for me. The world felt so empty in comparison, the weapon breaking mechanic was an interesting idea, breaking a weapon mid fight and having to physically stop moving your character in order to switch to a new weapon was a baffling design decision.

Just one one of those moments in games where the popular opinion is "this is incredible, you are gonna love it" and after about 4 hours I had that feeling of emptiness and dissatisfaction every second I played. Horizon was miles better as a direct comparison and I didn't like that game near as much as a lot did.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://youtu.be/lbp9eZs6Ws0

(I know you're joking. Right? Right?!)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, I just beat Bloodborne for the second time, now to do the same for Knack. It's the circle of life

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
We played HZD a bit this weekend and it seemed pretty phenomenal. Our other friend was backseat gaming the whole time and killed the fun. "Go there. Climb that. Pick up that. Get that. You're gonna regret not getting that. Set a waypoint here. Use your rope gun. Kill that guy. Go this way" ...for like a solid 2 hours. We thought we were going to kill her, she made us so anxious. Autism. :( But yeah.

I would definitely get HZD, although maybe after a discount. I really enjoyed BotW, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle an open world game at the moment. Will look for Second Son if I can get it cheap, as I'm a poor grad student. Lately I have been playing Axiom Verge and Bayonetta and Dragon Quest Builders, but I like all types of games. I'd certainly get Wipeout and keep my eyes peeled for weird exclusives/Japanese/indie titles. And Knack 2, baby! Thanks again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

It's funny, because playing with a bow build in MHW is so much more fun to me than HZD, which just feels stilted by comparison.

Bow play in MHW is fast and exciting with tons of last-second dodging and arrow-coating strategy, and you can still do all the jumping/mounting attacks you want, run up walls like you're in the matrix and smash huge mons in the face in mid-air. And then if I get tired of the bow I can switch to any one of 13 other weapons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm unsubscribing from this thread

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Since I guess FFXV is being updated (it is, right? not just for people who buy the new edition?) I figured I'd download it again but it needs like 396 loving gigabytes to install and since I have switched over to a SSD that means something. Also, part of it is the 850mb "Assassin's Festival", what even is that? I forgot.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I am pretty happy to be living in a world where a Monster Hunter game can be considered 'overhyped', tbh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
When can I download bloodborne?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

shut up blegum posted:

When can I download bloodborne?

Says you still have time to download knack until the 8th, can't have anyone missing out on knack!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JBP posted:

Says you still have time to download knack until the 8th, can't have anyone missing out on knack!

Uhm, obviously I have the ultimate edition on disk :rolleyes:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

It's weird hearing Horizon being compared to BotW since I played Horizon at launch and had a fantastic time with it and then bought a Switch after Christmas and genuinely can't stand Zelda. It seems unfair to criticise BotW for its graphics given it's on Switch but as a point of comparison Horizon is miles better. The controls are awkward and unintuitive in Zelda which is a crotchety old man kind of thing to say but that's how it felt to play for me. The world felt so empty in comparison, the weapon breaking mechanic was an interesting idea, breaking a weapon mid fight and having to physically stop moving your character in order to switch to a new weapon was a baffling design decision.

Just one one of those moments in games where the popular opinion is "this is incredible, you are gonna love it" and after about 4 hours I had that feeling of emptiness and dissatisfaction every second I played. Horizon was miles better as a direct comparison and I didn't like that game near as much as a lot did.

same but in reverse

horizon was a heap of ubisoft-tier sludge with a decent combat system and backstory text buried under it

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Free Bloodbourne is up in the EU at least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And Australia.

Forgot Ratchet and Clank was a PS exclusive game. Glad it's on PS+ :toot:

FF15 Royal Edition is just a GOTY package with everything included yeah? I'm not after it atm, but I'll be wishlisting it when it goes on sale for :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
poo poo I forgot to get Knack while it was free