Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imho just make torment do % of health as damage which then gets to be diminished by your MR

Basing survival of the highest threat attack on RNG doesn't sound ideal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Let's also remove Damnation and ensure there are zero dangerous things in extended.

Torment seems fine to me because it creates dangerous situations without one-shotting characters with less HP. I much prefer it to fixed damage alternatives or paralysis that would just one-shot a bunch of characters.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I know it feels big when Torment from a smite on the edge of vision reduces your current hp by half in a single turn. It's the perception of the attack rather than the impact. Flaying is similar but there's a recourse: kill the flaying ghost to return your health. The impact is about the same but the perception isn't nearly as bad because you can fix it without dipping into consumables.

So Torment could be changed to Soul Flay and have the attack split off part of your soul as an actual object that can be picked up in your line of sight, lasting long enough that tactically it can be picked up in a fight but will dissipate if you don't do it immediately after the engagement. And either the item on pick up increases HP immediately or has a regen effect (dependent on the loss) that stays until the lost health is regained. Gives the player recourse and decision making rather than "well, guess I'm waiting around 30-40 turns after this fight is complete in Hell/Pan."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mr-check torment would give characters another option for dealing with it beyond what, tso and kiku? did we return the crown of torment? imo the more viable ways to approach extended the better

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The trouble with MR affecting torment (beyond what rN does) is that it turns torment into yet another resistible Thing, which a high level character with good artifact gear can now mitigate. The entire POINT of torment and damnation is that they're totally unstoppable* damage tools for monsters that can threaten the most pimped out player characters who are otherwise headbutting pan lords for comedy's sake. Torment and damnation are crutches that hold up extended, and to touch them would necessitate a MASSIVE overhaul of what&how extended is. Tomb's one way hatches would only be the begginning, it'd have to be closer to "Ziggurats which dump mutagenic clouds on you". Imo leave torment/damnation alone until the very last change of a massive extended overhaul

*yea yea scrolls of fog

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the current methods in the game for mitigating torment don't actually make it a non-threat and i'm not sure how giving mr a piece of that pie would somehow unavoidably tip it over into the bin of outgrown mechanics

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Honestly just delete extended and spend dev time on the good part of the game.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

:yeah:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Actually, dont delete anything and just add stuff back in imo :P

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

heard u like girls posted:

Actually, dont delete anything and just add stuff back in imo :P
Then he has to waste his valuable time collating and organizing votes on a part of the game that most characters never see. I also don't think that part of the game is very fun or rewarding for characters who are strong enough to take it on, it's no loss to me personally. :shrug: I think a more tightly focused game would be more fun and he'll have much more room to add stuff in places where people will see it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Bring back lava orcs

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

What's the good part? Because early dungeon till about lair rune branches is boring poo poo o seen thousand times before.

But I enjoy extended. Or I did before the main branch started to trim tools to deal with it.

It's me, I'm the crazy guy who like pan and the final levels of hell but that's because the best part of the game to me is fighting the hell/pan lords. Probably why o smash my head against early uniques instead of smartly walking away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did we ever really discuss Tolly's hell weather idea?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hmm I think it time to submit a PR that increases the chance of a Wiz Lab.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cerepol posted:

Hmm I think it time to submit a PR that increases the chance of guarantees a Wiz Lab.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

What's the good part? Because early dungeon till about lair rune branches is boring poo poo o seen thousand times before.

But I enjoy extended. Or I did before the main branch started to trim tools to deal with it.

It's me, I'm the crazy guy who like pan and the final levels of hell but that's because the best part of the game to me is fighting the hell/pan lords. Probably why o smash my head against early uniques instead of smartly walking away.
The early dungeon is the most tense interesting part of the game if you play to win, imo. The threats are very distinct and real and numerous. I can't really fathom enjoying crawl as a game if you don't like those tense moments where you gotta flee an orc priest or gnoll pack or run into an inopportune ogre around a corner. The remainder of the game has much less tension, there are a million answers to any threat because you have all these wands/consumables/spells/god powers/etc. At the beginning of the game where it's just you, a few lucky drops, and your movement, the game is much more tense and difficult and interesting to me than all the rest of it combined.

I guess you could skip all that if you just hit tab and don't care about dying in early floors. That will sometimes work but I can't say I recommend it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I literally tab (or spell spam) early dungeon because I don't care until I get some sort-of intresting gear/spells. It gets tense when I am fighting in the end of a zig and have a good number of hours and a powerful hero on the line. Before than it is just starting class whatever with one or two pieces of middling gear.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
My favorite crawl things are finding ridiculous randarts and breaking into wizlabs, so extended should consist entirely of 9 wizlabs with nothing but randarts and runes as rewards

Honestly though, pan and hell both take forever for either little risk or bullshit garbage, so cut each hell branch to 1 giant floor each, randomize whether you get hell or pan rune floors from the vestibule, replace the non-themed pan rune with one in some new 3-floor malmutate branch (and restrict malmutate to enemies there+the big balls of fire), and make it possible to jump in pan forever as an optional thing with no rune reward

So you end up with tomb as torment rune, malmute land as malmutate rune, 4 runes from any combination of hell or the unique pan lords, and pan as a place to endlessly grind if you’re feeling like it but with no explicit reward

Alternatively, make a zig rune and delete the rest of extended

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Hell should have three branches with 6 levels each.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hell should be alternate extended where you grab the orb and then try and make it to the bottom of however many levels to dunk on the devil with it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

World Famous W posted:

I literally tab (or spell spam) early dungeon because I don't care until I get some sort-of intresting gear/spells. It gets tense when I am fighting in the end of a zig and have a good number of hours and a powerful hero on the line. Before than it is just starting class whatever with one or two pieces of middling gear.
I think this is pretty odd - it's fine if you like to play the game this way but I think I would have quit 100 times over if things only became interesting to me when I got to a ziggurat. Why do you bother with all that game before that? That's many hours invested into a character before you feel anything. Why not just wizmode to that point, or play zigsprint, or find some other means of getting to the part you like that aren't "suffer through the first six hours"? Maybe you should suggest things that would make the beginning more interesting to you - after all clearly you have to do it many times for every character you get to "the fun part" with, improving it even a little will still clearly have a huge effect on you even if its not your favorite part, simply by virtue of the volume of times you do it..

The beginning of the game is just as tense and interesting and difficult if you care about dying and you don't have to go through a million levels of lair to even get a chance at the fun part. I think it's the best part of crawl and has been forever.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Because until the rng gives me something to care for I can tab storm till it does. I obvious like the game, been playing since ogre mages were a race. And others like early game as is so I'll leave it to them. I just look forward to extended more than others is all. :shrug:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
feature request: increase all displayed aptitudes by 1 without actually changing the leveling rate

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Okay, last set of design discussion topics:

Virulence player spell: Nubletcrawler was kind enough to contribute a pull request which implements this.

quote:

Adding virulence spell to player books (Envenomations, Alchemy)

-The spell (level 4, Hex/Pois) gets a slight enchantment power boost like Slow.
-Monsters with rP+ get to 0; Monsters with 0 get to rP-; Monsters with rP+++ (immune) are unaffected.
-Monsters (unlike players) can stack multiple rP+ items to cancel out the effect (see monster::res_poison, monster.cc)

The choice of books/spellpower/level is pretty arbitrary - you may want to, for example, put it into the VM starting book and nerf the enchantment boost, to make VM a consistently more viable start.

Does this design sound good, or should it be implemented differently? If I don't see anything more than minor changes, I'll just pass the changes along and merge (since player Virulence was a 'Yes' from the previous survey).

Perma buffs from Hellcrawl: Which spells should receive the permabuffs treatment (which is reserving a portion of your max MP based on spell cost and spell power to permanently sustain)? Likely requested categories will probably be transmutation forms and buffs that just affect the player and do nothing else (some like the new Blades of Disaster spell might not work well as a permabuffs). Are there any specific spells/categories that should be added?

Nemelex rework/unwork
  • What are your issues with the current version of Nemelex?
  • How can they be fixed? Reverting that part to a previous version? Coming up with a new design?
E: Nemelex was under "Yes, with changes", which means if no design is liked it will sit on the back burner until next version.

Once again, I'll give it about a week for discussion. After that I'll put together a design poll for everything discussed so far. Finally there will be the FR/PR/mainline major commit poll, then the next dev cycle!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 6, 2018

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh god yes add that virulence spell. Sounds good as is, don't mind it not being in starting book.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The problem with torment is there's no way to mitigate it at a tactical level. How you're going to deal with it is entirely a strategic chose and represents a small subset of character builds (firestormers, undead/gargoyle, DDoor/lichform, kiku, and TSO/mahk).

Sage Grimm posted:

I know it feels big when Torment from a smite on the edge of vision reduces your current hp by half in a single turn. It's the perception of the attack rather than the impact. Flaying is similar but there's a recourse: kill the flaying ghost to return your health. The impact is about the same but the perception isn't nearly as bad because you can fix it without dipping into consumables.

So Torment could be changed to Soul Flay and have the attack split off part of your soul as an actual object that can be picked up in your line of sight, lasting long enough that tactically it can be picked up in a fight but will dissipate if you don't do it immediately after the engagement. And either the item on pick up increases HP immediately or has a regen effect (dependent on the loss) that stays until the lost health is regained. Gives the player recourse and decision making rather than "well, guess I'm waiting around 30-40 turns after this fight is complete in Hell/Pan."

This seems like a good direction to examine. It also deals with how much of extended is waiting for your HP to fill back up after getting hit with torment once.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Even just making Transfig spells permabuffs would be a huge QoL improvement, since there's almost no reason for a character focused on it to ever not have them on. Other good ones would be things like Regen, Ozocobu's, maybe Shroud of Golubria. Nothing that summons except maybe Battlesphere.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Microcline posted:

The problem with torment is there's no way to mitigate it at a tactical level. How you're going to deal with it is entirely a strategic chose and represents a small subset of character builds (firestormers, undead/gargoyle, DDoor/lichform, kiku, and TSO/mahk).

I mean if the only problem with Torment is the lack of tactical counterplay, then what if: Torment but bolt/beam/fireball/melee/aura form

(The Soul Flay idea is pretty cool too BTW)

Also while I'm thinking about it, if Torment becomes something that can be tactically countered, then probably strategic counters to Torment can be nerfed or removed (like how nothing lets you avoid being hurt by Damnation). Now the fun is mandatory!

Patashu fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 6, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is virulence all monsters in los or a specific target?

with regard to permabuffs, some disorganized thoughts:

permabuff regen sounds a little too wild honestly, and ozocubu's slows you now iirc so thatd probably want to be rereworked

shroud should be a permabuff that can regenerate itself, idk, a dozen turns after popping. spectral weapon could probably work the same way. imo confusing touch should be a self-regenerating charms/hexes spell and be higher level/less fiddly

stuff i honestly don't know very well: ring of flames is mostly a fire magic spellpower buff right? how powerful are the clouds it produces? i've never used leda's liquefaction so i don't know if it's permabuff material or not.

is invisibility too strong to be a permabuff? there's a whole conversation that could be had there about how starkly binary its usefulness is. darkness seems like itd be fine as a permabuff though, it doesn't trivialize an entire subset of monsters.

cigotuvi's embrace as a permabuff sounds fun as hell and it comes w the downside of eating all your corpses, so im fine with that. it would synergize pretty well with a death channel permabuff. too well? not sure. excruciating wounds as a permabuff kind of removes the need to ask kiku for a pain weapon but honestly im ok with that.

weird opinion: call canine familiar should be a permabuff. maybe spellforged servitor? probably not aura of abjuration though, too situational for the cost.

e:

Patashu posted:

I mean if the only problem with Torment is the lack of tactical counterplay, then what if: Torment but bolt/beam/fireball/melee/aura form

(The Soul Flay idea is pretty cool too BTW)

Also while I'm thinking about it, if Torment becomes something that can be tactically countered, then probably strategic counters to Torment can be nerfed or removed (like how nothing lets you avoid being hurt by Damnation). Now the fun is mandatory!

having a variety of torment variants in different forms sounds super interesting. though tormentbolt specifically seems like itd be pretty indistinguishable from torment as it currently works

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 7, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Many (all?) of those spells have solutions in hellcrawl already

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my defense i didnt say i know what im talking about :v

i've not played hellcrawl, how does it handle these spells?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

cheetah7071 posted:

Many (all?) of those spells have solutions in hellcrawl already

Yes, but copying and pasting everything over from hellcrawl isn't a good idea, as you could just go play hellscrawl instead.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Tollymain posted:

is virulence all monsters in los or a specific target?
It's like a normal hex, so you need line of fire and it hits one thing. It has a spellpower boost though, making it easier to overcome MR.

Serephina posted:

Yes, but copying and pasting everything over from hellcrawl isn't a good idea, as you could just go play hellscrawl instead.
I mean, even if Gooncrawl copies every Hellcrawl permabuff effect, it still won't have Hellcrawl style no backtracking, which is the central Hellcrawl thing that the Hellcrawl experience revolves around. Unless Gooncrawl suddenly decides to become a Hellcrawl fork, I think this fear is overblown.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 7, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Microcline posted:

You can tactically deal with it by using abilities or items to disengage or kill whatever's tormenting you. I really don't like the idea being presented here that every character must be able to completely mitigate and ignore every threat.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

in my defense i didnt say i know what im talking about :v

i've not played hellcrawl, how does it handle these spells?

Regen scales hp-per-turn with spellpower instead of scaling duration.
Ozo's just loses the ponderous. Only reason the dev team added it was to discourage constantly recasting it to keep it up forever as a "permabuff" in vanilla crawl, and only because doing that would be tedious.
(If permabuffs get implemented I'd like to see stoneskin and phaseshift back in too)
Spectral weapon is a weird one. It's a permabuff that causes the weapon to get summoned whenev you attack but disappear when you're out of combat for a bit, plus some kinda respawn timer for if it actually gets killed by enemies.
Another notable change is permabuff-Haste getting bumped up to level 9 and losing its contam entirely.

e: Hellcrawl also modifies the reserved MP based on your spell success chance, and updates this value in real time as you change buffs or equip new gear. A level 9 spell with 30% failure/70% success costs 9 / (0.7^2) = 18 MP to sustain as a permabuff. If you were to put on a ring of wizardry your max MP would increase as the fail rate decreases, and if you were to put on a set of plate armor that dramatically increases the fail rates your max MP would decrease. Dropping below 0 max MP forcibly turns your permabuffs off, so you can't buff up while naked and then change into your armor afterwards.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 7, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey did we make Lair 8 levels yet because we should do that. Cutting down on good experience in the midgame to make it harder to get hybrids off the ground was lovely IMO.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Another notable change is permabuff-Haste getting bumped up to level 9 and losing its contam entirely.
Errrr, this seems terrible? The whole point of Contam is/was a stick to stop the player from doing broken crazy poo poo, like perma-haste/invis, spamming controlled teleports, etc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Getting charms high enough to cast a level 9 spell is a real cost in hellcrawl because of reduced exp in general. It doesn't have to come back even if permabuffs come into gooncrawl

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

(If permabuffs get implemented I'd like to see stoneskin and phaseshift back in too)

Phase Shift is already back ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arivia posted:

Hey did we make Lair 8 levels yet because we should do that. Cutting down on good experience in the midgame to make it harder to get hybrids off the ground was lovely IMO.

i thought they compensated for the reduction in lair experience in some way. did they not?

• Locked thread