Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ai distribution is pretty uneven. Looks like there's 12 empires in this galaxy. 7 of them are squashed around me into one third of the galaxy. The remaining 5 are spreading out fine because they're distributed evenly through the remaining galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
use the 'random' distribution map setting. also get the no clustered start mod.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was random. Just randomly bad for me and all the other jerks squashed in here. Thankfully the neighbours all hated one xenophobic slaver empire so they quickly joined up my fed and we freed all the slaves.

Who promptly formed a military/imperialist faction in my empire. whoops.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What difficulty settings do you folks use? I usually do normal/aggressive, but am finding that after conquering the first empire there's not much of a challenge until the various crises pop up. I don't usually do advanced AI starts though. Should I just advanced start a load or pop it up to hard?

I don't want to get steamrolled but it's annoying when the game becomes a conquest slog without any real danger.

max AIs, lots of advanced starts (but not too many - 25%-50% of the total AIs), high aggression, hard, with the AI mod I linked earlier. advanced starts are pretty important - in general, advanced start empires are going to be your major nemeses, as they are (usually) the ones who will grow big by eating chunks of other empires. a bunch of AIs at parity with each other are unlikely to fight and thus generate large enemies for you - they'll generally sit around until you start stirring things up, which is too late for them to beef up enough to oppose you.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Gyshall posted:

Life Seeded owns bones and fits my playstyle 100%, thanks wiz.

Life Seeded + Venerable is a flippin nuts combo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Zane posted:

high aggressive. I also jack up the number of ais because they simply don't expand fast enough. with max ais you are far more blocked in. default number of advance starts. I also play on hard difficulty but somewhat soften the ai bonuses in common/static_modifiers. with all of those changes the game is pretty challenging and fun up through mid-2300 which is a great improvement.

Jazerus posted:

max AIs, lots of advanced starts (but not too many - 25%-50% of the total AIs), high aggression, hard, with the AI mod I linked earlier. advanced starts are pretty important - in general, advanced start empires are going to be your major nemeses, as they are (usually) the ones who will grow big by eating chunks of other empires. a bunch of AIs at parity with each other are unlikely to fight and thus generate large enemies for you - they'll generally sit around until you start stirring things up, which is too late for them to beef up enough to oppose you.

Cool went high/agressive with ~*~somewhere between~**~ 12 and 24 ais with ~6-12 advanced. Ran into 3 dudes already so either got close to 24 or they're all just near me.

And dang the enigmatic fortress and a science nexus are both just a couple jumps away. Nexus had a ruined nexus this close before...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Machines Coexist mod is neat but has several annoying bugs (blank entries in the species rights menu, your organics start out as undesirables, genetic techs are broken and don't drop). So I'm remaking it from scratch.

My question is, what the gently caress do I call a civic that lets you have organic pops, and starts you out with some? Think Rogue Servitor but without the mandatory fully-automated luxury gay space communism - instead of bio-trophies you get working pops and can set their living standards, migration controls, etc. The Machines Coexist mod calls it "AI Integration" but I think that name doesn't really describe it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Did I accidentally commit genocide by shielding a hive mind planet? :iiam:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This system will make a fine addition to the Imperium:

It's fun to get lucky sometimes!

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Hoo boy got the "colossus cb" bug where the AI just spams you infinite messages. I don't even have a colossus! Had to get some mod to stop it...or well hopefully it stops it haven't tested it. So long iron man :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Soooo another ridiculous situation. After several decades into my newbie game, my democracy goes into several years where the leader would die, a new leader is elected only for them to die and so on because they were all drawn from my leader pool which were around the same advanced age now. This is ridiculous!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Synthbuttrange posted:

Soooo another ridiculous situation. After several decades into my newbie game, my democracy goes into several years where the leader would die, a new leader is elected only for them to die and so on because they were all drawn from my leader pool which were around the same advanced age now. This is ridiculous!

Yeah, they should really randomise the leader ages at the start of the game to be a bit wider.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Welcome to the 1980's Politbyro.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

The Machines Coexist mod is neat but has several annoying bugs (blank entries in the species rights menu, your organics start out as undesirables, genetic techs are broken and don't drop). So I'm remaking it from scratch.

My question is, what the gently caress do I call a civic that lets you have organic pops, and starts you out with some? Think Rogue Servitor but without the mandatory fully-automated luxury gay space communism - instead of bio-trophies you get working pops and can set their living standards, migration controls, etc. The Machines Coexist mod calls it "AI Integration" but I think that name doesn't really describe it.

wiegieman posted:

Just build an even spread of labs. As long as you're generating a decent amount of roughly the same proportions of techpoints, you're fine.
I tend to skip biolabs unless I'm going super geneticy. A military base + gene clinic/cyto revitalisation per planet + the odd alien pets or clone vats tends to keep society on par with the others.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone else having huge trouble with the contingency? I can kill their expansion fleets well enough but I can't get enough naval capacity to actually kill any of the fleets guarding the cpu planets. I tried getting my federation to help but they wont follow me into any of the actual systems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone know why nothing is really happening in my games?

The raiders will raid a little, but when a great khan appears they don't do anything, never go to war with anyone. They just sit there until he dies.
I had a fallen empire get woke, and they expanded into some nearby unclaimed systems but 50 years on they once again haven't demanded anyone join their pact or gone to war with anyone.

They all have the military power to gently caress some poo poo up, but aren't. Has 2.0.2 done something to the AI?

Did you apply the patch partway through a game?
Because it's totally the same for me. The Great Khan didn't do anything and my Awakened Empire has expanded to a load of empty systems but just...sat there.

The Great Khan suddenly satrapied a huge empire who they hadn't touched as well, as though the AI thinks it was attacking them. Overall really strange.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I have Utopia and Leviathans, am I really missing out on anything by not buying the other DLC, or is it like Crusader Kings 2 where it just gives you more options for customizing your start? I'd like to get into this game, but I get weird with Paradox games where I feel like I need all the DLC.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Synthetic Dawn is a CK2-style thing which lets you play one of a few kinds of machine empires. Technically you're also missing out on having them show up as NPC empires, but you're not missing a lot by waiting until you want to play that particular type of empire yourself.

Apocalypse has some major features that are going to affect things no matter what type of empire you play - planet-busting superweapons are fun to play with for any empire, and the Marauder pirate empires (and their accompanying midgame crisis) have a fairly big impact on how the game plays out.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jabor posted:

Synthetic Dawn is a CK2-style thing which lets you play one of a few kinds of machine empires. Technically you're also missing out on having them show up as NPC empires, but you're not missing a lot by waiting until you want to play that particular type of empire yourself.

Apocalypse has some major features that are going to affect things no matter what type of empire you play - planet-busting superweapons are fun to play with for any empire, and the Marauder pirate empires (and their accompanying midgame crisis) have a fairly big impact on how the game plays out.

Ah, so those features aren't patched in unless you buy the expansion? That is what I was wondering. The CK comparison was like "you'll get the mechanics but not be able to play as X."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

I tend to skip biolabs unless I'm going super geneticy. A military base + gene clinic/cyto revitalisation per planet + the odd alien pets or clone vats tends to keep society on par with the others.

Did you forget to type something here?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That worked perfectly. Thanks!

Hello, new phone wallpaper.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Meridian posted:

Ah, so those features aren't patched in unless you buy the expansion? That is what I was wondering. The CK comparison was like "you'll get the mechanics but not be able to play as X."

Yea you have to have the expansions for them to appear at all. It's not like CK2 giving you the ability to play as already existing things.
Since Stellaris hasn't got a set start like CK2 does it can't really work that way.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Taear posted:

Yea you have to have the expansions for them to appear at all. It's not like CK2 giving you the ability to play as already existing things.
Since Stellaris hasn't got a set start like CK2 does it can't really work that way.

Thank you for letting me know. Will pick up the expansion when it goes on sale, my bag log is huge as it is.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Meridian posted:

Thank you for letting me know. Will pick up the expansion when it goes on sale, my bag log is huge as it is.

I imagine the bag is pretty huge as well, if it holds a log.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Playing as the human colony civ (but a citizen republic) and I had a bunch of places blocked off by mining drones, including one of those sad little star systems that has only one hyperlane. So I built my fleet up a bit and went to clear the mining drones and uh

we didn't make it very far at all, huh

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I imagine the bag is pretty huge as well, if it holds a log.

It's full of alcohol and regret.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really wish collosi would fire faster. In the time it took me to charge up and get 50% into blowing up a prethoryn planet a fleet ran in under me and bombed it to 100%

The cassus belli is good but I wish the toy itself was remotely practical, between it and megastructures it's like they don't want any of the super equipment to actually have real utility because Balance

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really wish collosi would fire faster. In the time it took me to charge up and get 50% into blowing up a prethoryn planet a fleet ran in under me and bombed it to 100%

The cassus belli is good but I wish the toy itself was remotely practical, between it and megastructures it's like they don't want any of the super equipment to actually have real utility because Balance

I got one level of Dyson sphere built before my alliance took over the entire galaxy and I won. Cool tech.

Edit: also I found out that gateways are a two step build. That's loving insane. Game really needs to take a look at how many features have no bearing on the game portion of the game.

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

Did you forget to type something here?
Yes. Yes I did. I meant to type "Biologist" as a play on "Mechanist".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They really need to add advanced sensors to research so you can scan your systems again. Soooo much worthless space.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I really want to like the game, but the scale needed to make the mid/late game interesting (having an absolute ton of stars and advanced AIs that you cower on the periphery of) also makes the game chug at the mid/late game. And yeah, by the time you get all your cool toys and can play around with them you find out they're half gimped and you've been peerless for the past 70 years either way.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Zane posted:

use the 'random' distribution map setting. also get the no clustered start mod.

No, the opposite of this. Use clustered starts because it will spread everybody out appropriately. Random doesn't give a poo poo and will happily dump everybody into one corner.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New beta build:

quote:

###################
# Feature
###################
* Added event that lets countries with a Chosen One become a Divine Empire
* Adjusted fleet formations so that titans try to position themselves more in the middle of a fleet and avoid face-tanking the enemy
* Grasp the Void ascension perk has been added to the game. It increases starbase capacity by +4
* Increased max starbase capacity to 100

###################
# Balance
###################
* AI Empires now gets pirates
* Normalized unique Leviathan building costs. Ether Drake Shrine, Dragonslayer Monument, and Stellar Devourer Trophy now all cost 800 minerals and take one year to build
* Post-Apocalyptic civic starts with a more balanced home world, because even Max Rockatansky cannot live on gasoline alone
* The "Scout" Admiral trait will now first appear after Gravitic Sensors tech has been researched
* Global Pacifier and Neutron Sweep can now be used to neutralize Prethoryn infested worlds
* Added a 20 year cooldown before the AI can hire a Marauder raid against the same target again
* Increased combat disengage chance for Titans

# Traditions
* Fleet Levies now makes all subject (not just vassal) Pops count towards overlord's naval capacity instead of giving a fraction of vassal naval capacity (as the latter resulted in getting huge amounts of naval capacity from techs of 1-system vassals)

# Ascension Perks
* Executive Vigor effect on edict duration reduced from +100% to +50%

###################
# Bugfix
###################
* Fixed being able to build Trading Hubs in primitive systems
* Defense platforms that are over cap are now deleted when downgrading a starbase
* Unless a megastructure is set to be built outside gravity wells it MUST have a planet set to be built
* Description texts for the exterminator civic updated to reflect ship build cost
* Colony ships now also get reduced ship cost if there is a modifier for it
* Fixed a bug where tradition cost did not increase per planet, but rather cost per system twice instead
* Fixed issue where Prethoryn Defeated happiness modifier was not applied to militarists correctly
* Fixed a crash when sorting the war logs more than once
* Crashfix when trying to send a message that couldn't be created
* You can no longer stop the building of other empire's robot
* You can no longer save a ship design if that name is already used by a ship design for another ship size
* Fixed a bug where polytechnic education tradition effect did not match tooltip
* Fixed so that expansion traditions adopt bonus is now the same for all types of empires, instead of using the old value for hive minds and machine empires
* Contingency sterilization hubs can now be properly neutralized by World Crackers and Global Pacifiers
* Fixed species being able to spawn with Serviles trait
* Fixed Colossus and Containment CBs not being correctly applied
* No longer possible to lose a rival you're at war with due to strength differences

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 6, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GotLag posted:

Maybe just something like "AI Governence". I can't really think of a lot of media where robots/ai are the dominant government without being Skynet or the Matrix so I can't think of any neat references to make.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Reducing Executive Vigour down to 50% was necessary, as it was way too good especially if you picked up Droning Optimisations early. Still a good perk though. By comparison, +4 starbases looks a bit weak, except for REALLY tall empires.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Why +4 instead of say +8?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The starbase cap perk should probably increase the scaling from pops or something. Even if it's a flat bonus, +4 seems garbage to me as well.

Also, executive vigor is still +100% for me?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The charge time might be a bit too long but using a colossus on a prethoryn or contingency planet is a waste. They have really quick bombard times because that used to be the only way to get rid of them. Even with current charge time the colossus saves a huge amount of time on big planets compared to trying to bombard them.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've never actually used a colossus before, do you get the genocide diplomacy penalties? Neutron sweeping enemy planets would be quite useful if not, assuming you haven't already done enough genocide to make everyone hate you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

One day ascension perks will be cool and interesting. Until then, +4 starbases.