Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Even though I have friends who play T'a""""u (who I end up playing somewhat often), whenever I see their models or rules, my eyes just seem to slide off of them like a grey man from the Wheel of Time.

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Even though I have friends who play T'a""""u (who I end up playing somewhat often), whenever I see their models or rules, my eyes just seem to slide off of them like a grey man from the Wheel of Time.

ugh

There is everything right about having an aversion to anime

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pendent posted:

There is everything right about having an aversion to anime

Eldar are the anime race

Although I guess Tau are Gundams so yeah

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tau always felt way more Battletech than anime to me. Sure they have a mecha influence, but its filtered pretty heavily through a western lense.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

The list I ran with was pretty much what I had handy.

Characters:
1 x Wolf Lord in Gravis
1 x Primaris Ancient
1 x Primaris LT with mastercrafted bolt rifle
2 x Wolf Priest w/Jump Pack and Plasma Pistol
1 x Wolf Guard Battle Leader (Wolf Claw and Bolter)
1 x Lone Wolf (Frost Sword and Storm Shield, w/Krakenbane relic)

Infantry:
2 x 4 Intercessors with Bolt Rifles + Sgt. with Bolt Rifle and Chainsword
1 x 4 Hellblasters with Plasma Incinerators and Sgt. with PI
1 x 9 Reivers w/Combat Knives & Heavy Pistols + Sgt. with same
1 x 4 Wolf Scouts w/sniper rifles & camo cloaks + Sgt with same.
1 x 5 Fenrisian Wolves

Vehicles:
1 x Redemptor Dread w/ Heavy Gatling/Storm Bolters/Flamer/Missile loadout

Mostly set up so that the gunline sets up in decent position with the LT and Ancient to support them for rerolls, while the Wolf Lord and his pack of characters go monster hunting. The Reivers and one Wolf Priest deploy to reserves and drop in to get linebreaker and harass the backfield when the opponent leaves it open.

I knew the Custodes were going to eat my lunch because I flatly didn't have enough anti-tank to deal with them. 90% of the damage I did to them was my Scouts rolling 6's for mortal wounds. The moment that really put me off, though, was dropping the Reivers, Lone Wolf, and Wolf Priest in the backline against the sisters and having all of them not take out a Battle Sisters squad in two rounds. The player was awesome to play against and her models were great, all old metal Sisters except Celestine and Greyfax.

From what i can see you’re mostly just lacking mobility. I’m not sure if it’s cost prohibitive or not, but work a single Repulsor into your list and see how you do. It’s a great option for both anti-tank and anti-horde since it has every gun on it.

For what it’s worth, the games against my friends Wolves (he runs 2 Repulsors, iron wolf priest on doggo, intercessors and Hellblasters in the Repulsors and 10 wulfen) usually ends with him killing my infantry and locking my units in combat.

I have yet been able to counter those wulfen because they can come in from any table edge, have a ton of weapons and good invulnerable saves.

I think your list is good, but you need mobility plus things to soak up fire. I think the Repulsor is a good bet because it lets you control the board.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eldar are the anime race

How loving dare you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnEdgelord posted:

Tau always felt way more Battletech than anime to me. Sure they have a mecha influence, but its filtered pretty heavily through a western lense.

Yeah, and their foot soldiers make me think of like grey UFO aliens or star wars trade robots. T'au make me think of like, classic western sci-fi aliens.

While the Eldar are...

Zuul the Cat posted:

How loving dare you.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a big dumb effort post either in this thread or the last one where I quoted the original White Dwarf from when the Tau came out. They specifically said that Tau are influenced by anime/manga and Japanese culture in general.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
conceptually tau are the most anime, in practice Eldar are the most anime/japanese army.

Very rude but dont want to look like it, dying off due to intense xenophobia and not sexing enough, everyone confined to office hovel[ships], also lanky mechs infused with the pilot's dead sister/mother/father.

By comparison Tau are ugly midgets that want to ally with everyone and have weird animal-legged mechs, usually with no arms

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Eldar endgame is to commit a Seppuku so honorable their ancient ancestor spirits become a god and murders the embodiment of their repressed sexuality

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
A bunch of designs that were straight up stated to be cribbed from Masamune Shirow's non-horny art and heir foot soldiers literally wear future samurai armor and carry katana display pieces.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhDearGodNo posted:

Found a better head for Greg

Pretty good choice. You just skipped to the end of the trilogy.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Neurolimal posted:

Eldar endgame is to commit a Seppuku so honorable their ancient ancestor spirits become a god and murders the embodiment of their repressed sexuality

Gonna be honest at this point I'm pretty much imagining you stretching the corners of your eyes and flipping your Rs and Ls while you typed this. Good job.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Gonna be honest at this point I'm pretty much imagining you stretching the corners of your eyes and flipping your Rs and Ls while you typed this. Good job.

Its less that I think they're identical to japan and more that they feel like a blatant caricature. The Mag Uruk Thraka of japan.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

From what i can see you’re mostly just lacking mobility. I’m not sure if it’s cost prohibitive or not, but work a single Repulsor into your list and see how you do. It’s a great option for both anti-tank and anti-horde since it has every gun on it.

For what it’s worth, the games against my friends Wolves (he runs 2 Repulsors, iron wolf priest on doggo, intercessors and Hellblasters in the Repulsors and 10 wulfen) usually ends with him killing my infantry and locking my units in combat.

I have yet been able to counter those wulfen because they can come in from any table edge, have a ton of weapons and good invulnerable saves.

I think your list is good, but you need mobility plus things to soak up fire. I think the Repulsor is a good bet because it lets you control the board.

How loving dare you.

Yeah, mobility is an issue. Everything being stuck to the 5" that my commander can run is an embuggerance.

I just haven't wanted to put a Repulsor or two in because I don't want to spend the money on the models, and I really dislike the Wulfen sculpts.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Seriously considering biting the bullet on a Biologis Ad Mech force to the point of doing PS mockups

Someone convince me this is a bad idea

E: tuning fork will probably be the whole backpack crudely grafted on

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mildly, to outright absurd anime, is the best kind.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

Seriously considering biting the bullet on a Biologis Ad Mech force to the point of doing PS mockups

Someone convince me this is a bad idea

E: tuning fork will probably be the whole backpack crudely grafted on

This looks awesome

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
As I recently got completely owned by a T'''''''''''''''''''au army, playing as GSC, I feel like that overwatch on 5 sept is gonna be pretty fierce against certain armies.

I had a near-perfect first round. Since he placed his ghost-keel too far forward, so I could turn one charge it with a goliath (full of acolytes with drill and cutters) and almost one-shot it with the amazing dozer blade - and was set up for a disembark charge with the acolytes into several high priced units the next turn. Since I also rolled five/sixes on all but one of my cult ambushes, everything except my patriarch (who I tried to solo ambush) got stuck-in in the very first turn. It was glorious, right up till I actually had to declare my charges, and his entire castle was able to fire on my genestealers and ambushers as I charged his screening units. It was a total disaster, I lost a poo poo-ton of models to overwatch. He simply had a fire cadre, a couple of suits, and 4-5 squads of rangers and fire warriors + a slew of drones of various kinds. Next round he just disengaged, re-established the castle, and I had to re-charge with my ragged units and most of them were wiped out. I used mass hypnosis but it only works on the unit itself. By my turn two charge, it was all over. I guess GSC being super fragile and glass-canony doesn't help, but it was pretty rough. I imagine, with overwatch on 5s, that assaulty tyranids and orcs will have great trouble with that too (maybe less so with orcs since they can wagon-truck right in there).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 6, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Boon posted:

Oh god this would be so great. Playing a combined 40k and BFG campaign with ~7 others was easily the best part of my gaming life.

If BFG ever came back I'd spend time creating such a campaign and writing rules for it.

Yeah some of the most fun times I've had in gaming were running a combined 40k + Epic + BFG campaign with my old gaming club. Great experience and I'd love to get something like that running again. I still have my Space Marine fleet somewhere, although it's in a sorry state I imagine.

Epic may have been the best game GW produced in terms of its actual rules, and the models mostly had charm for 6mm. Their biggest problem was that they were so intermittently available after a while, some armies were impossible to get hold of past the mid-2000s.

Liquid Communism posted:

The list I ran with was pretty much what I had handy.

Characters:
1 x Wolf Lord in Gravis
1 x Primaris Ancient
1 x Primaris LT with mastercrafted bolt rifle
2 x Wolf Priest w/Jump Pack and Plasma Pistol
1 x Wolf Guard Battle Leader (Wolf Claw and Bolter)
1 x Lone Wolf (Frost Sword and Storm Shield, w/Krakenbane relic)

Infantry:
2 x 4 Intercessors with Bolt Rifles + Sgt. with Bolt Rifle and Chainsword
1 x 4 Hellblasters with Plasma Incinerators and Sgt. with PI
1 x 9 Reivers w/Combat Knives & Heavy Pistols + Sgt. with same
1 x 4 Wolf Scouts w/sniper rifles & camo cloaks + Sgt with same.
1 x 5 Fenrisian Wolves

Vehicles:
1 x Redemptor Dread w/ Heavy Gatling/Storm Bolters/Flamer/Missile loadout

Mostly set up so that the gunline sets up in decent position with the LT and Ancient to support them for rerolls, while the Wolf Lord and his pack of characters go monster hunting. The Reivers and one Wolf Priest deploy to reserves and drop in to get linebreaker and harass the backfield when the opponent leaves it open.

I knew the Custodes were going to eat my lunch because I flatly didn't have enough anti-tank to deal with them. 90% of the damage I did to them was my Scouts rolling 6's for mortal wounds. The moment that really put me off, though, was dropping the Reivers, Lone Wolf, and Wolf Priest in the backline against the sisters and having all of them not take out a Battle Sisters squad in two rounds. The player was awesome to play against and her models were great, all old metal Sisters except Celestine and Greyfax.

So it sounds like you had some poor luck, but also that list is plain bad, which is fine because you said you were just playing with whatever you had painted. You have way too many characters, way too little anti-tank (or anti-heavy anything really) and there's no real focus. Even the Dread has a mixed-up weapons loadout. Don't worry about losing with it - it'll get better with practice, and when you've painted more dudes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Revelation 2-13 posted:

As I recently got completely owned by a T'''''''''''''''''''au army, playing as GSC, I feel like that overwatch on 5 sept is gonna be pretty fierce against certain armies.

I had a near-perfect first round. Since he placed his ghost-keel too far forward, so I could turn one charge it with a goliath (full of acolytes with drill and cutters) and almost one-shot it with the amazing dozer blade - and was set up for a disembark charge with the acolytes into several high priced units the next turn. Since I also rolled five/sixes on all but one of my cult ambushes, everything except my patriarch (who I tried to solo ambush) got stuck-in in the very first turn. It was glorious, right up till I actually had to declare my charges, and his entire castle was able to fire on my genestealers and ambushers as I charged his screening units. It was a total disaster, I lost a poo poo-ton of models to overwatch. He simply had a fire cadre, a couple of suits, and 4-5 squads of rangers and fire warriors + a slew of drones of various kinds. Next round he just disengaged, re-established the castle, and I had to re-charge with my ragged units and most of them were wiped out. I used mass hypnosis but it only works on the unit itself. By my turn two charge, it was all over. I guess GSC being super fragile and glass-canony doesn't help, but it was pretty rough. I imagine, with overwatch on 5s, that assaulty tyranids and orcs will have great trouble with that too (maybe less so with orcs since they can wagon-truck right in there).

Was he overwatching multiple times with FTGG? That only works once a turn I think.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Corrode posted:

Was he overwatching multiple times with FTGG? That only works once a turn I think.

Yeah, that's what this sounds like - a unit can't fine overwatch again that turn if they've fired it using FTGG.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Corrode posted:

Oh poo poo, I got scammed. I guess that settles it, even if I'm loath to do it; I must read the Tau index chapter. Not sure i'd have made a huge difference, since it's only 6 inch range and it was like to sides to his castle, but it would definitely have mattered in the second round.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Corrode posted:

Yeah some of the most fun times I've had in gaming were running a combined 40k + Epic + BFG campaign with my old gaming club. Great experience and I'd love to get something like that running again. I still have my Space Marine fleet somewhere, although it's in a sorry state I imagine.

Epic may have been the best game GW produced in terms of its actual rules, and the models mostly had charm for 6mm. Their biggest problem was that they were so intermittently available after a while, some armies were impossible to get hold of past the mid-2000s.

So it sounds like you had some poor luck, but also that list is plain bad, which is fine because you said you were just playing with whatever you had painted. You have way too many characters, way too little anti-tank (or anti-heavy anything really) and there's no real focus. Even the Dread has a mixed-up weapons loadout. Don't worry about losing with it - it'll get better with practice, and when you've painted more dudes.

The Dread's in the default loadout that came in the box for the quick-build ones. Blame GW. :v:

The main reason for lack of anti-tank is that I was trying to keep this an all-primaris force, so no Long Fangs without buying a bunch more Intercessor bodies to upconvert. I have a unit of 10 more Hellblasters (in DA colors) in the works, but they don't have arms on them just now so no-go for this tourney.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It legitimately took 7hrs to assemble, but I'm loving psyched to start painting this

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Liquid Communism posted:

The Dread's in the default loadout that came in the box for the quick-build ones. Blame GW. :v:

The main reason for lack of anti-tank is that I was trying to keep this an all-primaris force, so no Long Fangs without buying a bunch more Intercessor bodies to upconvert. I have a unit of 10 more Hellblasters (in DA colors) in the works, but they don't have arms on them just now so no-go for this tourney.

The easy to build Dread is such a weird one to me, the onslaught gatling is right there and they went with the flamer instead.

Yeah that's fair enough, I'm not really having a go just saying that you shouldn't be disheartened by losing since the list is a lot of the reason for it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Yeast posted:

It legitimately took 7hrs to assemble, but I'm loving psyched to start painting this

drat that is one sexy bombah

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How customizable is the marauder's loadout? Seems like quite an investment to not put a single magnet in.

Grats on the build though, I love how unapologetically blocky and geometric the marauder is for an aircraft.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Mar 6, 2018

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Neurolimal posted:

How customizable is the marauder's loadout? Seems like quite an investment to not put a single magnet in.

You can have 8 hell strike missiles, or a bunch of heavy bombs. I haven't stuck that on yet.

The rest is standard.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Who needs more metal bawkses? My bonebois apparently:

Now that I'm caught up on painting all my old DA stuff, I want to add some backfield firepower and have ordered 2 boxes of devs. One of them will get all plasma cannons for maximum fluffiness and not at all so I can abuse overheated cannons with the re-roll 1's trait & +1 plasma damage strat. What should I arm the other squad with?

Corrode posted:

Epic was what got me into GW back when Titan Legions was first released. It took a while before I started on 40k itself because Epic had so much scope. Even now I still love the idea of throwing around big stompy robots and proper infantry hordes without taking a weekend off to arrange Apoc-scale games or spending weeks building single models. I'm so excited for Adeptus Titanicus later this year and all the cool stuff they can do with modern plastic kits compared to the old sculpts.

It was a shame E:A was so poorly supported, as the ruleset was great and addressed nearly all the issues that plagued other GW games for years.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Epic was so insanely mishandled, it's one of the worst "old GW" things where they had an actually successful third game in their flagship universe and repeatedly screwed it up because they couldn't decide whether they wanted to support Specialist Games or not. Plus losing their minds over the LotR licence.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah as others have said that list is awful. You're way to heavy on characters since having 2 wolf priests in the same group is just throwing away points that could buy you more troops for the remaining one to buff, which gets to your other problem of having a bunch of melee troops following the gravis lord when they're already being buffed by the wolf priest.

Getting a predator is pretty much the easiest way to address the primaris lack of long range and anti tank fire without putting down regular marines.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Artum posted:

Yeah as others have said that list is awful. You're way to heavy on characters since having 2 wolf priests in the same group is just throwing away points that could buy you more troops for the remaining one to buff, which gets to your other problem of having a bunch of melee troops following the gravis lord when they're already being buffed by the wolf priest.

Getting a predator is pretty much the easiest way to address the primaris lack of long range and anti tank fire without putting down regular marines.

Yeah, the answer to it is spending more money, but I honestly don't know that I want to.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Found a better head for Greg

This looks perfect! Where's it from?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Artum posted:

Also, Storm Ravens and Fire Raptors for mobility.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Also, Storm Ravens and Fire Raptors for mobility.

Yeah. I'm more likely going to shelve the army until the codex comes out and see what new models come with it. Wolves are too tied into their own organizational structure not to get reworked pretty heavily or get new plastic to support it, and I was mostly building them for something to play with that was relatively cheap due to DI.

A Necromunda gang would probably scratch that itch for half of what a Repulsor would cost.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 6, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Neurolimal posted:

Plz don't kinkshame. :(

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I'm trying a soup list with my salamanders, and need some input.

Celestine
Custodes Allarus Captain w/ Praetorian Plate (Warlord)
2x MSU Storm Bolter sisters of battle
7 Sisters of battle with Storm Bolters
Vexillus Praetor w/ Vexilla Defensor

Librarian on bike
Captain w/ jump pack
2x Plasma incinerator Hellblasters
Devastator squad, 3x Las, 1 ML, 5 regular marines
Primaris Ancient
Predator w/ 4x Las
Sternguard Veterans w/ special issue boltgun
Company Veterans w/ Storm Bolters

The plan is to drop the Sternguard, Company vets and Captain to soften up infantry blobs. Maybe with the Custodes terminator too. The hellblasters, devastators, ancient and vexillus form a death star together. Librarian goes with Celestine to try and remove invul saves.
Sisters cap objectives, Celestine goes full frontal, and if she gets tarpitted the Terminator Custodes can teleport to her.

I might have a bit too few anti tank units, or is 7 las + 1 ML enough? The predator will draw most of the enemy's high damage shots.

Thoughts on the list?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yeast posted:

This is legit the prettiest ugly bomber I've ever seen.

BORAT VOICE MY WIFE VERY NICE!

Neurolimal posted:

Grats on the build though, I love how unapologetically blocky and geometric the marauder is for an aircraft.

"Given enough thrust, anything is aerodynamic" -Literally the motto of the Aeronautica Imperialis

E: Damnit, they were first developed during Armageddon II (941-943.M41) and my guys are in the 810s (Dark Heresy). :sigh:

EE: I could have sworn there's at least a passing reference to a Marauder Destroyer in one of the Sabbat Crusade books (late 700's). GW? Inconsistent about timelines?!? :monocle:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 6, 2018

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I'm surprised that there were any fans of Epic, the sculpts were like all Rogue Trader jank but none of the charm.

Epic, in all its forms, was awesome. I actually really liked the old card detachment force org stuff, the decent amount of terrain and models in the big boxes, and the variety of factions. Keep in mind during Rogue Trader, 2nd, and 3rd, Epic was probably one of the most well fleshed out ranges - there was even a full Squat army! Yes, many of the models were...questionable...but that is true of almost every range in every GW system in that period.

I would be thrilled to see Titanicus be awesome, and have that lead into a full Epic relaunch, which is basically how Epic (and Battletech!) started, originally just the big guys then full armies.

40k is great for large skirmish games, but Epic gets much closer to capturing the look and feel of full scale warfare. Although at the scale the lore sometimes breaks down with entire Marine companies, ie 1/10th of the Chapter, dying in a single firefight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Epic, in all its forms, was awesome. I actually really liked the old card detachment force org stuff, the decent amount of terrain and models in the big boxes, and the variety of factions. Keep in mind during Rogue Trader, 2nd, and 3rd, Epic was probably one of the most well fleshed out ranges - there was even a full Squat army! Yes, many of the models were...questionable...but that is true of almost every range in every GW system in that period.

I would be thrilled to see Titanicus be awesome, and have that lead into a full Epic relaunch, which is basically how Epic (and Battletech!) started, originally just the big guys then full armies.

40k is great for large skirmish games, but Epic gets much closer to capturing the look and feel of full scale warfare. Although at the scale the lore sometimes breaks down with entire Marine companies, ie 1/10th of the Chapter, dying in a single firefight...

My first (as in very first) Citadel/GW model was the old Great Gargant painted for the Bad Moons. That was a nice looking pound-and-a-half of pewter.

But a lot of the Daemon Engines were pretty goddamn blobby, you've gotta admit.

E: And not the new Great Gargant either. The old one, the one with feet but no legs. This fucker:

But mine had the dick cannon not the penis dentata.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 6, 2018