Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Pretty sure I'd still have to go the career course for that, letting the Army sink it's claws even deeper into me.

I'd also probably be a huge rear end in a top hat to cadets because college students are insufferable or end up loving a hot cadet girl and end up with some sort of UCMJ violation

I need to make it out of the Army with my benefits intact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

Haha man I really don't miss PT tests. Like obviously the APFT wasn't completing a triathlon or anything, but god drat they attached so much importance to the thing and made life so miserable for anyone that failed (even if they were sick) that it was just so unnecessarily stressful even if you knew you were going to do fine.

Like, leave it to the Army to make a few minutes of running, sit-ups, and push-ups more anxiety-producing than actual field training.

i got put on remedial PT for failing the situps because my stomach was cramping (after failing situps i didn't even bother trying the run).

turns out my gallbladder was inflamed and i was in the TMC the next day because i was doubling over in pain drat near crying.

i was fine after about a week and asked if i could take another pt test right then to get out of remedial.

nope, six weeks of remedial anyway.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Pretty sure I'd still have to go the career course for that, letting the Army sink it's claws even deeper into me.

I'd also probably be a huge rear end in a top hat to cadets because college students are insufferable or end up loving a hot cadet girl and end up with some sort of UCMJ violation

You don't have to the to the CC. Many O3s go to ROTC specifically to skip the course before getting out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

At least they remembered to order MREs. My only rotation in NTC had me on one MRE a day for about a week. For reasons stated earlier. Also forgotten, portashitters.

I thankfully wasn’t party to this event, but one unit had to fire their S4 over portashitters at NTC. He ordered enough but just ignored the company for weeks while they tried to figure out where to drop them all.

With no guidance, the contractor dropped a small city’s worth of portashitters in one mass location at the Bde main command post.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any of you ROTC guys remember the port-a-shitters at LDAC/advanced camp at Lewis? Highest quality port-a-shitters I ever experienced in the Army.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Any of you ROTC guys remember the port-a-shitters at LDAC/advanced camp at Lewis? Highest quality port-a-shitters I ever experienced in the Army.

Same.

Also saw a married couple get in trouble for sneaking off for Skookum love.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

Haha man I really don't miss PT tests. Like obviously the APFT wasn't completing a triathlon or anything, but god drat they attached so much importance to the thing and made life so miserable for anyone that failed (even if they were sick) that it was just so unnecessarily stressful even if you knew you were going to do fine.

Like, leave it to the Army to make a few minutes of running, sit-ups, and push-ups more anxiety-producing than actual field training.

This. A million times this. I actually threw up a few times over the years do to nerves.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Mustang, my father was an ROTC instructor and loved it. Just saying

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Mustang posted:

Bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
You can end up at ROTC without career course or a command, but it's typically a bone thrown to someone after CCC and a company command, from what I've seen. Sure, there are exceptions, and I haven't exactly been watching what the MILPERs say, but brand new CPT to ROTC with no CCC is the exception rather than the rule.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

I thankfully wasn’t party to this event, but one unit had to fire their S4 over portashitters at NTC. He ordered enough but just ignored the company for weeks while they tried to figure out where to drop them all.

With no guidance, the contractor dropped a small city’s worth of portashitters in one mass location at the Bde main command post.

Curious if this was 'Well that's the address they have on file, best we got' or them knowing how to gently caress with someone through their chain of command?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure, but they definitely had the Emails to show they'd been trying to get an answer for weeks.

That same unit had a bunch of Strykers with dryrotted tires from lack of use, which they knew about, and the S4 helpfully ordered tires that showed up back at home station rather than NTC. AT one point an OC was taking photos of a Stryker with all of its tires flat, just trundling forward on its hubs.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

You can end up at ROTC without career course or a command, but it's typically a bone thrown to someone after CCC and a company command, from what I've seen. Sure, there are exceptions, and I haven't exactly been watching what the MILPERs say, but brand new CPT to ROTC with no CCC is the exception rather than the rule.

When I did it we had a couple 1LTs and jr CPTs rotate through. The branch immaterial jobs are primarily broadening assignments for post-KD CPTs but if there's a slot to fill and someone has time available until they need to hit the CCC a branch manager will put them in. Of course if you tell your branch manager "I need a fuckoff job before I quit the army" then I wouldn't expect to get a PCS.

Also ROTC is a rewarding assignment, but it's a lot further from the main stage than training a deployable unit so the typical junior officer gripes are only going to be worse as there is no staff, higher headquarters is two states away, and at best you receive ambiguous guidance to do a job you're not really qualified for; ie, it is everything younger guys seem to hate about being an officer.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Army

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Sorry, fta

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lol that mustang admits he can't be in a position of trust without loving a subordinate

Totally a lifer

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

mods change my name posted:

Lol that mustang admits he can't be in a position of trust without loving a subordinate

Totally a lifer

Eh, I'm still mixed. Lifers would never admit it. They start off doing it 'for their own good' then transition into giving no fucks as they attain rank, and only playing politics to get more rank.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, I'm still mixed. Lifers would never admit it. They start off doing it 'for their own good' then transition into giving no fucks as they attain rank, and only playing politics to get more rank.

He meant literally gently caress.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yup! Good ol penis in the orifice.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you’re working for ROTC as cadre and can’t find someone other than a cadet to bang in a college town, you are really screwing up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

If you’re working for ROTC as cadre and can’t find someone other than a cadet to bang in a college town, you are really screwing up.

This but for real, Jesus.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I was kidding, I refuse to date or sleep with any women even remotely associated with the military.

So in other news, I just found out from the recent command climate survey that my BN has the worst morale in the Army, breaking the streak held by another BN.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

I was kidding, I refuse to date or sleep with any women even remotely associated with the military.

So in other news, I just found out from the recent command climate survey that my BN has the worst morale in the Army, breaking the streak held by another BN.

Every terrible unit says this, the plot twist is that everyone is correct in that assessment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I'm generally not a huge believer in command climate surveys, but when you put in enough specific stuff in comments, it can really grab people's attention and force some changes. A bunch of red bars are one thing. But when post sees comments that are true, but abysmally terrible, sometimes it can result in real positive change. With a particularly rough unit, there were a bunch of comments including stuff like:

-Routinely told we can't bring meal-card holders back for chow until we certify, but no MREs or mermites were pre-ordered. Officers and NCOs had to buy the soldiers dinner for a week straight to the tune of $Hundreds/Thousands out of pocket
-Told the chain of command the unit couldn't be that busy, because the commander walked the motorpool at 1900 and only saw a few platoons' worth of people still working in garrison
-Unit has been in field for 2 weeks. Haven't seen commander out here once, except for about 10 minutes when he drove his POV to the field, yelled at one officer, then left.
-Lied to spouses and then told soldiers that if they ratted out his lies, he'd destroy their careers
-Says out loud that NCOs can't be trusted and the NCO corps as a whole is a failure
etc.

Work hours changed dramatically after that and mysteriously people from the post headquarters started snooping around in the evenings or on weekends or at mealtime to make sure people were at least getting fed and not staying at work past 1730 or so. Also the CG started ending his workday by going on a long run over the entire damned footprint looking for soldiers being forced to work late or missing meals. Not quite as much of a message as just relieving someone, but definitely improved quality of life a bit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It was from outside the unit that I heard we were the worst, but I knew it was bad and when higher told us about it they kind of insinuated that we (junior officers and NCOs) were part of the blame.

I pretty much now think field grades are the worst group of people in the Army, but mostly because they have the biggest direct impact on day to day life for me and right now it’s not a very good one.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Well, they're probably not wrong about Jr officers and NCOs being part of the problem. It's just I don't know what they expect when they allow zero autonomy and just add increasing layers of stupid bullshit to do. Email and cell phones are probably the worst things to happen to the army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They preach mission command and decentralized leadership but in practice they micro manage every we do. I definitely have absolutely nothing to do with making people work late, or changing things at the last minute or holding out as long as possible on making major decisions.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Isn't it technically screwing down if you're banging cadets as cadre?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
According to AR 600-20, if cadre NCO would screw cadets, it’d be screwing down, but Mustangs case, yeah.

He shoud screw general’s daughter. It’s an achievement. Wife even more so.

Sergeant Major’s wife isn’t.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Policy-wise the cadets are off limits to anyone in any position of authority over them, including NCO and contractor cadre. There is a long list of rules about behavior between cadre and cadets, similar to how basic/AIT instructors probably have to interact with recruits.

But that's beside point, Mustang should knock up an army town local and stay in to keep the healthcare for his kids.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 5, 2018

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
A good thing

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
it's the circle of liiiiife

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Icon Of Sin posted:

Every terrible unit says this, the plot twist is that everyone is correct in that assessment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cyks posted:

He meant literally gently caress.

Oh.

Oooooooh.

:catstare:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I got yelled at for trying to gently caress a chick trying to get in while I was on hometown recutting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’ve been trying to call Waller Hall for months. Why is it so goddamn hard to get ahold of someone there?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Every NCO I knew at my ROTC department was loving female cadets or trying to, including an E-8 who had a history of closed-door one-on-one foot inspections with the freshmen ladies after a ruck march.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
One of my fellow cadets married our S3, a SF Major who had been married 3 times before that. It didn’t end particularly well.

Mustang, you were at USF right? Do you remember MAJ J?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the Air Force cadets became a nude model and that ended her cadet eligibility and got her into some hot water with the university for copyright infringement. As soon as she was cut loose about half the staff and cadets ended up hooking up with her. It didn’t end up all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

One of my fellow cadets married our S3, a SF Major who had been married 3 times before that. It didn’t end particularly well.

Mustang, you were at USF right? Do you remember MAJ J?

Mustang was an OCS guy and made sure everyone in this thread knew about it when he was an O1 who didn't know that commissioning source doesn't matter (just like the rest of us when we were O1s).