Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Who is that awful woman and why is Jim letting her anywhere near his fans?

There's enough entitlement in that post to run the local DMV

It's mostly poo poo that's a consideration to the signing author, not the assistant. If the author is popular enough, you kinda need to do this poo poo at signings to make things work. She's mostly just being protective of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Megazver posted:

It's mostly poo poo that's a consideration to the signing author, not the assistant. If the author is popular enough, you kinda need to do this poo poo at signings to make things work. She's mostly just being protective of him.

Yeah wrangling thousands of nerds ain't easy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Makes the dude that got the entire works of Jim signed at that con I saw him at even more funny

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

At major conventions, the lines for Jim max out hours before the actual signing. If rules aren't in place to curb enthusiastic fans, Jim ends up disappointing far more people than he pleases.

It's also possible to get a whole ton of books signed under those limitations. Several years ago I got something like a dozen books signed by him at Dragon Con, all while following a very similar set of rules.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Asking to be treated like a human being and reducing the time it takes to get things signed sure does sound like entitlement. What will these lovely rear end in a top hat authors and their assistants demand next? Basic politeness? Orderly lines? :jerkbag:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xun posted:

Asking to be treated like a human being and reducing the time it takes to get things signed sure does sound like entitlement. What will these lovely rear end in a top hat authors and their assistants demand next? Basic politeness? Orderly lines? :jerkbag:

It's less that and more the complaining about doing it while drunk and that standing around for two hours is somehow this massive undertaking.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah it’s the aggrieved tone, not the requests.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I've been one of the wranglers for the last Wheel of Time book tour managing the line for Brandon Sanderson in a fairly large city library, which I assume is somewhere near the same scale. Lots of walking the line, answering questions, prepping post its, etc. I don't recall it being onerous, a little tiring walking the line for 3-ish hours answering questions (mostly "how much further to Brandon" or "where's the bathroom"), but people were generally considerate and understanding. Most people aren't terrible, just sometimes overwhelmed at meeting someone whose work they really like.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I sort of want to join that group now just for the soul crushing voyeuristic possibilities.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

ConfusedUs posted:

Have you ever worked in customer service?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr Scumbag posted:

Working the returns desk at Target throughout college is where I formed my "people are the worst" belief. I haven't found a reason to reverse my stance since.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr Scumbag posted:

Yeah but the rules could have been stated without the 'poor me' schtick.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, it's really more the tone that the person took in the post than that anything she was asking was unreasonable.

Of course, tone is really easy to gently caress up in text, so unless she's actively shouting at people in line to GET THE gently caress OVER IT PEACE TALKS WILL BE OUT WHEN IT'S OUT then there's probably nothing worth getting worked up about.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
I think the bit being lost is Peace Talks is supposedly almost done! Has this been confirmed anywhere else or is this just the worker spouting off?

Someone else asked but about how long is the turn around from delivered manuscript to available to purchase?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I have to say, the delay in several series has damped my enthusiasm. Dresden I'll buy no matter what, but I'm no longer super excited. Won't hurt the sale, obviously, but I'm not as interested as I am in aaronovitch, for instance.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm thankful for all the ancillary Dresden material; the RPG, card game, short stories, etc

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

jivjov posted:

I'm thankful for all the ancillary Dresden material; the RPG, card game, short stories, etc

Agreed.
I just got one of the new Dresden graphic novel things (something something werewolfs?). Yet to read it, as I'm in the middle of Whispers Underground, but it's next on my list.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Blasphemeral posted:

Agreed.
I just got one of the new Dresden graphic novel things (something something werewolfs?). Yet to read it, as I'm in the middle of Whispers Underground, but it's next on my list.

Yeah, I've been really loving the comics too. Puck showing up was genius.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished The Furthest Station. It was pretty good fun. It would be nice if Aaronovitch was able to do a novella whenever he doesn't have a full book coming out. I know he has a few scheduled.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

There's a new Rivers of London book due out later this year, for what it's worth. Lies Sleeping:

quote:

Martin Chorley, aka the Faceless Man, wanted for multiple counts of murder, fraud, and crimes against humanity, has been unmasked and is on the run. Peter Grant, Detective Constable and apprentice wizard, now plays a key role in an unprecedented joint operation to bring Chorley to justice.

But even as the unwieldy might of the Metropolitan Police bears down on its foe, Peter uncovers clues that Chorley, far from being finished, is executing the final stages of a long term plan. A plan that has its roots in London’s two thousand bloody years of history, and could literally bring the city to its knees.

To save his beloved city Peter’s going to need help from his former best friend and colleague–Lesley May–who brutally betrayed him and everything he thought she believed in. And, far worse, he might even have to come to terms with the malevolent supernatural killer and agent of chaos known as Mr Punch….

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

There's a new Rivers of London book due out later this year, for what it's worth. Lies Sleeping:

Excellent. An actual end game. Now, if Dresden would just put something together, it would be nice.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

Excellent. An actual end game. Now, if Dresden would just put something together, it would be nice.

That's 10+ years off for Dresden. We have five more case files books before the final trilogy kicks off (though I wouldn't be surprised to see Jim eliminate one or two of the case files, all things considered).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

That's 10+ years off for Dresden. We have five more case files books before the final trilogy kicks off (though I wouldn't be surprised to see Jim eliminate one or two of the case files, all things considered).

I know, that's what I'm lamenting. I've disliked the overarching plot in Dresden for years and would rather he just write the casebooks. The big scheme is the weakest part of the books.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Good Guys by Steven Brust was not a bad little Urban Fantasy book.

I'm not sure if it was great or not, but it was entertaining to read.

Sort of the Rook meets Dresden

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a question for the long time fans.

How did you react to Changes when it was first released? What was the general reaction?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

How did you react to Changes when it was first released? What was the general reaction?

I honestly really never gave that much of a poo poo about the whole Susan subplot, but I always enjoy Butcher's writing on Dresden and how he brings the book to a crescendo so I still enjoyed it like I do every Dresden, despite little flaws :shobon:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So you didn't care that Harry was killed off with no knowledge of another book coming out ever again?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eh; I don't think there was ever any doubt that there'd be another book

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

So you didn't care that Harry was killed off with no knowledge of another book coming out ever again?

We knew there was gonna be another book I believe. That was about seven years ago though so my memory is foggy.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, do you have archives? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3273593&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

I don't think anyone thought he was gone for good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bhodi posted:

Well, do you have archives? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3273593&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16

I don't think anyone thought he was gone for good.

I was just looking to see how far back my posts in this thread went, to find out right before Skin Game, the last book (in 2014!)

I gotta get archives some day

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think anyone thought that.

If anything it was more "wow, I wonder how Harry's going to get out of this"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Jim has been saying the series will last twenty three books since long before Changes came out. And, y'know, the book was called Changes not Ending.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Megazver posted:

Jim has been saying the series will last twenty three books since long before Changes came out. And, y'know, the book was called Changes not Ending.

Ah, didn't know that. I didn't start reading until just before the last book came out. And now my gf is about 1/2 through Ghost Story.

E: And in that archived thread I see that Ghost Story had already been announced at that point. That kinda spoils the fun. :smith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, on that very page linked above, someone posts not only what the next book was called, but what the first line was. From day 1, people knew there was another book coming, and that it likely involved ghosts.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Goddamn I have been shepherding this thread for EIGHT YEARS

Also my first post in that archived thread is praising Butcher's ability to put out a new book ever year. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never noticed before that the first post in the thread says this is the "Jim Butcher/Dresden Files/Urban Fantasy/London Megathread".

I live in London now and will for the next year. I don't like it because it's too noisy, too crowded and everything's too far apart, but I recognised a name in the last Peter Grant book that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't think anyone thought that.

If anything it was more "wow, I wonder how Harry's going to get out of this"

I was pretty sure that when he was going on about how cold & dark it was that Mab was going to have something to do with his survival.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamn I have been shepherding this thread for EIGHT YEARS

Also my first post in that archived thread is praising Butcher's ability to put out a new book ever year. :(

Hahaha

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I can't process Dresden not being finished till I'm 40.

How little I knew four years ago, add another decade to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never noticed before that the first post in the thread says this is the "Jim Butcher/Dresden Files/Urban Fantasy/London Megathread".

I live in London now and will for the next year. I don't like it because it's too noisy, too crowded and everything's too far apart, but I recognised a name in the last Peter Grant book that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm honestly tired of London as a setting for urban fantasy at this point. I'm re-reading the Libriomancer series right now and I really enjoy how not-London it is. The rural, folksy, upper-midwest setting really sells Isaac's earnestness and contrasts nicely with the Porters in general.

Also I love (Libromancer Book 3 spoiler) how the first major magical dust-up in the social media age logically and irrevocably leads to the world discovering the existence of magic. A couple videos go viral, a weird letter appears (as if by magic lol) in a popular book, some greedy magic users go public to ride the early wave to fame and fortune, and boom: now everyone knows. .

It's a ballsy move that all the other books with secret wizard societies seem afraid to take.