Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nah it's still completely experimental and niche and not at all a mainstream therapeutic technique. the analogy to thiel's blood extension pay-to-play therapy is a good one

Except Peter Thiel is doing his vampire thing in order to try and look like a hot young twink forever, while subjunctive apparently had a serious crippling mental health disorder.

It's really not a good analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like if you wanna make fun of subjunctive for being subjunctive be my guest, it's specifically the "rubbing magnets on your skull!!!" thing that gets me because it's dismissing actual science as dumb hippie bullshit

actual science that my wife has been considering getting done for a while to treat her massive, intractable depression, for context

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no real medical therapy that has come out of that

did you miss the whole "phase 3 clinical trials" thing or what

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

like if you wanna make fun of subjunctive for being subjunctive be my guest, it's specifically the "rubbing magnets on your skull!!!" thing that gets me because it's dismissing actual science as dumb hippie bullshit

actual science that my wife has been considering getting done for a while to treat her massive, intractable depression, for context

did you miss the whole "phase 3 clinical trials" thing or what

You Can't Pray This poo poo Into Orbit!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

Except Peter Thiel is doing his vampire thing in order to try and look like a hot young twink forever, while subjunctive apparently had a serious crippling mental health disorder.

what about mocking a rich person for bragging about shelling out for a concierge doctor that's 24/7 available to hold their hand through the emergency treatment of a broken bone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ect is dangerous but not halfassed

it is known to work very well
david foster wallace underwent a lot of ect and didn't work for him :rip:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what about mocking a rich person for bragging about shelling out for a concierge doctor that's 24/7 available to hold their hand through the emergency treatment of a broken bone

remembering those articles i can't help but think they just wanted to pay to have a "doctor friend" they could chat with

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hoverwife says 90% of it is taking calls at night about health-related anxieties and the other 10% is the doctor being connected enough to have their patients jump lines

apparently it's still attractive as a practice because you get to pick your patients at the end of the day

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

also this is an active area of research whereas thiel's thing was something science dismissed as stupid 60 years ago that he's reviving because he's a dumbass

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

correction: a "doctor friend" that can't hang up the phone

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I'm still amazed that poo poo is legal

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

HQ just raised another $15 million on a $100 million valuation lol

what is hq?

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

everybody post their job itt so i can know if i can consider myself better than you

place yourself on the spectrum of working for facebook or working for insurance company

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I'm still amazed that poo poo is legal

why wouldn't it be. you pay cash you get whatever you want, don't need preapprovals or whatever the gently caress from insurance and can pay a premium for a doctor to stay late if you need be

it does help shatter the illusion that the US has anything other than a pure market based health care system, but its true

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

crabrock posted:

everybody post their job itt so i can know if i can consider myself better than you

i design the built environment that makes our civilization possible :smug:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

crabrock posted:

place yourself on the spectrum of working for facebook or working for insurance company

sexx genios

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

crabrock posted:

we make modems :shrug:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

crabrock posted:

where does "great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity" sit on the spectrum

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

we make modems :shrug:

you work for rockwell, the defense contractor?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
in ender's game where they post good enough to rule the world what would you call that job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where does "great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity" sit on the spectrum

so you're this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they haven't made modems for almost 2 decades now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in ender's game where they post good enough to rule the world what would you call that job

president, apparently

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i design the built environment that makes our civilization possible :smug:

same

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

even as a kid reading that poo poo i was like wait what, this guy argues so well on the internet that everyone elects him god-emperor for life suddenly being convinced by his greatness. since when was anyone ever convinced by someone else instead of holding onto their convictions come hell or high water???

welp jokes on me now. heil trumpo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crabrock posted:

i make javascript fart apps for anxious brick and mortar stores terrified of the internet consuming their business, where does that fit

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, rockwell, the one-hit wonder from the early 1980s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

crabrock posted:

i am a support engineer (YEP!) for not the biggest CDN in the world, but the best and fastest

i love my company and we do genuinely cool things. also we just straight up give our services away to OSS and nonprofits

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

even as a kid reading that poo poo i was like wait what, this guy argues so well on the internet that everyone elects him god-emperor for life suddenly being convinced by his greatness. since when was anyone ever convinced by someone else instead of holding onto their convictions come hell or high water???

welp jokes on me now. heil trumpo

yeah card kinda got the last laugh on that one

or i guess the universe did because trump didn't get elected president by writing long dissertations

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ios dev for a company that makes cards and household items with your photos on them

hobbesmaster posted:

or i guess the universe did because trump didn't get elected president by writing long dissertations

iirc in the book peter and valentine gain power by holding debates of such quality that they earn everyone's respect. that's... not how the real world turned out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The washing machines at the laundromat I go to are made by Raytheon, the world's largest manufacturer of guided missiles

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh i see tori fell off the wagon again, should be some good wholesome fun when he admits in a couple weeks what he’s badly hosed up this time

Apr 7, 2003

rjmccall posted:

oh i see tori fell off the wagon again, should be some good wholesome fun when he admits in a couple weeks what he’s badly hosed up this time

Yes, not giving a gently caress about an autistic SV oligarch is "falling off the wagon."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yes, not giving a gently caress about an autistic SV oligarch is "falling off the wagon."

it's funny how you manage to be less sympathetic than the figure of the person you hate

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

not giving a gently caress
ah

is that what u call this

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The washing machines at the laundromat I go to are made by Raytheon, the world's largest manufacturer of guided missiles

the ones at my apartment complex's laundry room are made by GE which also made a huge chunk of the US's nuclear weapons, megacorps are weird like that

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

hobbesmaster posted:

why wouldn't it be. you pay cash you get whatever you want, don't need preapprovals or whatever the gently caress from insurance and can pay a premium for a doctor to stay late if you need be

it does help shatter the illusion that the US has anything other than a pure market based health care system, but its true

im canadian the idea of doctors even making different amounts of money is weird

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

im canadian the idea of doctors even making different amounts of money is weird

i thought you guys had like, private doctors for rich people

or is that Britain i can't remember

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ate all the Oreos posted:

megacorps are weird like that
i always wondered if samsungs shipyard cranes play the same little song-noise that their hdtvs and smartphones do when you turn them on

Apr 7, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

ah

is that what u call this

I don't think the Silicon Valley VC who likes conducting emotionally manipulative experiments on his users needs or merits your defense of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Royal Pains was the one of the worst tv shows i ever saw

it was some rich doctors who went to play private concierge doc in florida to rich families. like the very first ep some rich parents want to keep news that their 17yr son broke his knee out of the media because it would be a big scandal and ruin his political aspirations if it ever came out their son broke a knee, so they convince conciergedoc to bring him to their own private decked out medical room.

was played totally straight and bad