Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One of the most successful multiplayer games of all time should have the resources to bugfix and develop new content at the same time. At the very least they shouldn't have the nerve to start flogging pay-to-open loot boxes whilst content updates are borderline non-existent. They haven't even given a roadmap towards custom games yet when the game is three months out of official release, meanwhile Fortnite is showing PUBG up with content updates on a blindingly fast release schedule by comparison.

As for level select, it would help if Miramar wasn't a poorly designed wasteland with poverty loot tables, but the community is large enough that even is 75% only picked Erangel queues would still be fine for Miramar.

The longer this goes on feeling like an Early Access title despite the massive windfall Bluehole's received the more jaded people are going to become, there's really no excuse for the game still being such a barebones package with so little even outlined in the near future this long after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Miramar is a good map for cool players

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Evilreaver posted:

Points are awarded individually, so I'm guessing you died early?

E: and that you killed one person and shot up at least two, judging by the score

That's the thing. Killed two, died last.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Chard posted:

Fine if you think that. I realise some people enjoy and even prefer it. Thing is though, there are bad maps in other games, but at least those games pretty much without exception have:

- More than 2 maps
- A map rotation so that you don't get the same map twice in a row, or more usually until you've cycled through all of the other maps to get around to the start
- Special servers or game modes where you can choose to play one map only or a limited selection of maps etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chard posted:

i do way better on it so i like it more but not having the ability to choose your map is insane.

it's worse that they took out weather tho.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There are elements of Miramar's map design that work to its credit, but I cannot forgive it for having loot tables that make it an ordeal to even find a full set of level 1 gear in the first few minutes over most of the map

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Miramar looks really good in a lot of places, and some areas of the map can be good to play in certain situations, I'll give it that. I like when the game ends in the area south and east of Los Leones. Overall though I prefer that Erangel is a bit faster-paced, easier to move around and gives you an easier time looting up.

Looting in Miramar is rear end, and the mid-game is typically a slog of driving over lovely terrain. Fights in general seem to be a case of who has the better terrain. Not in all cases, but way more so than on Erangel. Also all of the Miramar vehicles handle like total balls.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 6, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

WhatEvil posted:

Miramar looks really good in a lot of places, and some areas of the map can be good to play in certain situations, I'll give it that. I like when the game ends in the area south and east of Los Leones. Overall though I prefer that Erangel is a bit faster-paced, easier to move around and gives you an easier time looting up.

Looting in Miramar is rear end, and the mid-game is typically a slog of driving over lovely terrain. Fights in general seem to be a case of who has the better terrain. Not in all cases, but way more so than on Erangel. Also all of the Miramar vehicles handle like total balls.

And they're about to gently caress up the sole advantage of the mystery machine: it's an armored tank. Adding vehicle bullet penetration will gently caress up the only thing that has going for it.

Unless I'm reading that whole thing wrong, which is possible.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i do way better on it so i like it more but not having the ability to choose your map is insane.

it's worse that they took out weather tho.

agreed on both counts

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

There's nothing as anticlimactic as winning because the other guy dies to the blue after going prone in the grass, refusing to stand up and refusing to start moving early enough.

I get where they're coming from, I've lost lots of these dumb "last circle is nothing but grass" games because I started moving too early and got spotted by someone who didn't. Grass fields suck

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I had to pick one complaint it's how grass isn't rendered at long range.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'll give it to Bluehole it does seem to be difficult to design a map which avoids the open death-plains of endgame Erangel without the hostile geography of midgame Miramar, before I got used to Miramar and began to feel its flaws it was a huge novelty for the average final circle to not just be an open field or gently sloping valley with minimal cover

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I enjoy both maps but I do wish I could choose to avoid the "7 Miramar in a row, 1 Erangel, 3 Miramar, 6 Erangel."

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Miramar is largely unfinished and it would be foolish to forget that. It’s bad in its current form.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Miramar is largely unfinished and it would be foolish to forget that. It’s bad in its current form.

Part of the problem is it's too big. Erangel actually only has something like 32 square km of land. Unless they're willing to cut out half the map of Miramar it'll always be lovely. Bluehole should build a wall and make the Mexicans pay for it.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I enjoy both maps but I do wish I could choose to avoid the "7 Miramar in a row, 1 Erangel, 3 Miramar, 6 Erangel."

Yeah if it were alternating then it would be better. As it is I've literally had 12 miramar in a row which I've quit out of trying to get Erangel, and given up and played something else.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

delete the miramar map files and you just get insta booted to lobby when you’re placed in a miramar game

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

if you uninstall the game i garuntee you won't ever get miramar again

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 6, 2018

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

uniball posted:

delete the miramar map files and you just get insta booted to lobby when you’re placed in a miramar game

I thought they changed something to prevent this

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
So I finally tried Fortnite last night, because it's free, and whilst the building bits are a little dumb, the mechanics are just so much better than PUBG that I don't know that I'll be going back.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Unfortunately TPP battle royale games are bad and dumb :smug:

(But for real, I would try Fortnite if it came out with FPP, but it probably won't, something about third person bothers me too much)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I will never play lego pubg

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

So I finally tried Fortnite last night, because it's free, and whilst the building bits are a little dumb, the mechanics are just so much better than PUBG that I don't know that I'll be going back.

The building mechanics are the actual worst thing about the game and feel like someone awkwardly crowbar'd CS:GO into Minecraft. Other than that I just think it feels too floaty compared to PUBG.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fortnite is kinda fun but it’s way more arcadey/fast paced and the building poo poo is dumb and yeah TPP

I don’t mind playing it but it’s not a pubg replacement, not even close

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

flatluigi posted:

- Everything has taken a backseat to trying to crack down on the cheating problem that is the general #1 complaint about the game. They've come out and said that explicitly, and said more info on new content will come in the next week or two.

I don't know how they can say on one hand loot crates don't take up any developer time but dealing with cheaters delays content.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

multijoe posted:

I'll give it to Bluehole it does seem to be difficult to design a map which avoids the open death-plains of endgame Erangel without the hostile geography of midgame Miramar, before I got used to Miramar and began to feel its flaws it was a huge novelty for the average final circle to not just be an open field or gently sloping valley with minimal cover

Yeah I give Erangel the edge on its diversity of viable drops and midgame, but I just hate those final circles that are flat fields with trees and whoever is forced to move is probably dead. The terrain of Miramar makes the last 4-5 people a fun positioning and angle game.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The only parts of Miramar that are decent: the cities, the red mountain areas in the south, and the two islands in the south. The vast majority of the map is bad and I’ve been saying that since it was released and everyone liked it. Now everyone is flip flopping and hates the map.

I told you so.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd like if there was a 'randomized' map option, where the map is built on-the-fly with towns/landscape built randomly around. Perhaps have a map crafted weekly.

If a particular map is garbage, who cares, it'll never get played again. The game becomes less "memorize the landscape" and more "analyze the landscape for advantages on the fly" which I think would be cool ("If" such a randomizer could put out maps of at least a minimum quality-- I'd be willing to bet a randomizer could build at least Erangel-quality towns and landscape)

If a map is cool, great, the devs can steal ideas from it for 'official' maps.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

People keep mentioning the new bullet penetration but from what I understood it's only "limb" penetration right? Like it only stops the bug where you could headshot someone but their pinky was in the way, rather than bullet penetration for surfaces (which would be awesome, but won't happen with this engine).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

NtotheTC posted:

People keep mentioning the new bullet penetration but from what I understood it's only "limb" penetration right? Like it only stops the bug where you could headshot someone but their pinky was in the way, rather than bullet penetration for surfaces (which would be awesome, but won't happen with this engine).

That is how I read it too

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Hopefully it fixes the times when you get blood splatter and zero damage, presumably because you hit a pinky or something dumb.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Had that happen with the micro and mini14 last night.
Two blood sprays with mini (railing up on guy's roof blocked the rest), then at least two, maybe more sprays a few minutes later on in the extended firefight. He kills me. I get 5 hit points.

What?? Come on game, how can your netcode be that loving bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
this game needs more goofy dumb game modes

idea: The Running Man. 99 players in 33 teams of 3 that drop from the plane regular PUBG style, 100th player starts on the ground and is the Running Man. whoever kills the Running Man gets auto chicken dinner, regardless of how many players left in the game, but the Running Man's got buffed health, move speed, and a loot advantage to try and even it out.

or maybe a melee only game mode with smaller circles, like the lobby but with health and frying pans and sickles

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
1 player is "it", wins by getting to an extraction point (and they're super tough). Everyone else has to kill him BUT also levels up by killing other players. So now not everyone is working together and you aren't spending all game working with 98 jerks to find one needle in a 10km haystack.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the Running Man would have a permanent map marker on his head and there would still be circles, so it would basically be a mad dash for one motherfucker against 32 other teams

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this game needs more goofy dumb game modes

idea: The Running Man. 99 players in 33 teams of 3 that drop from the plane regular PUBG style, 100th player starts on the ground and is the Running Man. whoever kills the Running Man gets auto chicken dinner, regardless of how many players left in the game, but the Running Man's got buffed health, move speed, and a loot advantage to try and even it out.

or maybe a melee only game mode with smaller circles, like the lobby but with health and frying pans and sickles

FWIW, there's a similar smaller-scale BR-style game to this but with more dynamic rules than you're describing that's about to get launched on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/544920/Darwin_Project__Coming_soon/

Shroud played it on stream at least once. It looks neat but very different.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

No Safe Word posted:

FWIW, there's a similar smaller-scale BR-style game to this but with more dynamic rules than you're describing that's about to get launched on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/544920/Darwin_Project__Coming_soon/

Shroud played it on stream at least once. It looks neat but very different.

Holy crap the Steam video is just streamers playing it. The end has come, this is how the earth ends.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why are they all tpp.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

why are they all tpp.

For a more arcadey experience it can make sense (or is at least more excusable). For a more realistic shooter though, TPP is Dumb As Heck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carecat posted:

I don't know how they can say on one hand loot crates don't take up any developer time but dealing with cheaters delays content.

Loot crates are a system that is already in place, and changing them around is mostly just artist modeling time that can be done asynchronously.

Anti-cheating is addressing changes in the engine and the underlying code that has tons and tons of dependency and any change likely results in hundreds other changes that need to be adjusted and prioritized.

Like, if you have one team working on a anti-cheat fix that involves the netcode, and another team that is trying to improve netcode performance, you really can't have those two teams working in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't know why but when i saw the original hand drawn map concept for miramar i thought it was gonna be an arab map.