Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

the ones at my apartment complex's laundry room are made by GE which also made a huge chunk of the US's nuclear weapons, megacorps are weird like that

Honeywell too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't think the private medical insurer who brags about his adultery needs or merits your defense of him.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought you guys had like, private doctors for rich people

or is that Britain i can't remember

there's some scandal recently where a couple private clinics will run literally every medical test on you for $$$ and then those people are returning to the public system with huge reports and trying to get treatments for dozens of things that don't make sense to treat. it looks like the college of physicians and the ministry of health is going to slap them down hard.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Isn't he in Canada now

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
yeah he moved back to toronto because he wanted his daughter to grow up here

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

did I miss when we found out tori stepped out on his wife

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FamDav posted:

lol

welcome to yospos

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FamDav posted:

if by "found out" you mean "he told us in detail about his mistress's kinks," then yes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Foo posted:

if by "found out" you mean "he told us in detail about his mistress's kinks," then yes

wow what a shitbag

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i guess the shittier you are, the harder you look for other people to point your finger at

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

I don't think the Silicon Valley VC who likes conducting emotionally manipulative experiments on his users needs or merits your defense of him.
defense? lol

just sayin looks like u give much fucks

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey hey check this out:

arse technica

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
jeff fatwood of snack overflow

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

The washing machines at the laundromat I go to are made by Raytheon, the world's largest manufacturer of guided missiles

they also made the world's first microwave ovens

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
assdot. news for turds. stuff that splatters

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

jeff fatwood of snack overflow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Micro$haft

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
luxury boutique medical poo poo is mockable. quack medicine sold to idiots is mockable. nerds wiring up a 9-volt battery and asking reddit for the best electrode placement to raise their IQ-- definitely mockable.

just understand that the magnet treatment is a legit thing that ordinary ppl with mental health problems might be using in a couple of years, bc it would be cheaper to cover than ECT and also appears to have milder side effects

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

and also appears to have milder side effects

for example not having a set of electrodes jammed all the way up inside your brain

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

they also made the world's first microwave ovens

Apparently this is because a Raytheon radar engineer noticed that standing next to an operating magnetron had caused a chocolate bar in his pocket to melt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

HQ just raised another $15 million on a $100 million valuation lol
the guy who runs this is a total shitbag

quote:

cott agreed to the interview and chatted with The Daily Beast on Monday afternoon. The Daily Beast simultaneously reached out to the HQ public relations email account and Yusupov, one of HQ’s founders, letting him know of our plans to write a story about the show’s host.

Several hours later, we received an email from Yusupov stating that HQ was “not making Scott available to discuss his involvement with HQ with the media/press.” The reporter informed Yusupov that we had already interviewed Scott and that the story was nearing publication, but encouraged him to call us with any concerns.

That’s when things went off the rails.

Yusupov, the CEO of HQ, called the reporter’s cellphone and immediately raised his voice. He said that we were “completely unauthorized” to write about Scott or HQ without his approval and that if we wrote any type of piece about Scott, he would lose his job.

Yusupov continued to threaten Scott’s job, even after The Daily Beast explained that the story was framed around Scott’s daily life and that he revealed no corporate information.
Get The Beast In Your Inbox!

“You’re putting Scott’s job in jeopardy. Is that what you want?” Yusupov said. “Scott could lose his job.”

“Please read me your story word for word,” Yusupov said. “Or you can email it to me.” Although The Daily Beast does not typically share the contents of our pieces, the reporter shared quotes from Rogowsky, which were non-confrontational and shared no company secrets.

Yusupov’s objections began with the line, “Scott said that despite the attention, he’s still able to walk down the street and order his favorite salad from Sweetgreen without being accosted.”

“He cannot say that!” Yusupov shouted. “We do not have a brand deal with Sweetgreen! Under no circumstances can he say that.”

When asked to confirm that Rogowsky can’t say he personally enjoys eating at Sweetgreen, Yusupov said “he cannot say that,” inaccurately claiming that Scott had disclosed private company information by revealing his preference for a salad chain.

When The Daily Beast read Yusupov a quote from Rogowsky saying “I can make people happy and give them the trivia they so desperately love and want. It’s been so great to build this community,” Yusupov implored the reporter to “take that out.”

Asked for clarification, Yusupov replied that Rogowsky was absolutely not allowed to say that he “enjoys making people happy and giving them the trivia they want.”

“He cannot say that people want trivia,” said Yusupov, the founder of the HQ Trivia app.

“It’s highly unprofessional. Highly unprofessional of you to reach out to one of our contract employees without my permission and without going through proper press channels,” Yusupov said, revealing previously undisclosed information that Scott himself is not a full-time HQ employee.

Yusupov said that he would approve The Daily Beast to write an article all about Scott’s life, but that we were “not allowed” to include any mention of HQ or his role in HQ (which is public), or he could be terminated.

“This is ridiculous,” Yusupov said. “If you reached out to an Apple engineer and they gave you information about the new iPhone, would you run it? No, because you’d have to go through proper press channels.”

Yusupov was repeatedly reassured that Scott had not revealed a single piece of classified information about HQ.

After a back and forth wherein Yusupov told The Daily Beast its reporter would never be allowed to talk to Rogowsky again, the co-founder nervously stated that the conversation was off the record, something he had not stated before that point and a precondition The Daily Beast had never agreed to. The phone call ended shortly thereafter.
the entire face of his company is a contractor

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently this is because a Raytheon radar engineer noticed that standing next to an operating magnetron had caused a chocolate bar in his pocket to melt

i am slowly developing a standup routine centered around this story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the game is no fun any more either because people have figured out how to automate botting it. all the cash prizes are now split a thousand ways every time

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

just understand that the magnet treatment is a legit thing that ordinary ppl with mental health problems might be using in a couple of years, bc it would be cheaper to cover than ECT and also appears to have milder side effects

something something magnetic monopolar

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

i guess the shittier you are, the harder you look for other people to point your finger at

There's a huge difference between having an affair and using your position at a pervasive company to make the world measurably worse for everyone. They don't compare and if you think they do, your sense of perspective is hosed up.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

haveblue posted:

the game is no fun any more either because people have figured out how to automate botting it. all the cash prizes are now split a thousand ways every time

you mean there aren't 1374 actualy people who think the garment a bride wears is called a potato masher

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your position at a pervasive company to make the world measurably worse for everyone.

you work for a private health insurer

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

you work for a private health insurer

a couple years ago he bragged that his job was to make it more efficient to deny claims

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a huge difference between having an affair and using your position at a pervasive company to make the world measurably worse for everyone. They don't compare and if you think they do, your sense of perspective is hosed up.

lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

you have no idea what he did for facebook. if your argument is that even accepting employment at facebook is contemptible then lol you work at a loving medical insurance company, you are complicit in way worse poo poo. but actually you are just desperately deflecting attention from the fact that you’re back to drinking yourself into a stupor again

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

a couple years ago he bragged that his job was to make it more efficient to deny claims

If you think insurance companies are bad, just wait until you see what medical providers do!

Apr 7, 2003

rjmccall posted:

you have no idea what he did for facebook. if your argument is that even accepting employment at facebook is contemptible then lol you work at a loving medical insurance company, you are complicit in way worse poo poo. but actually you are just desperately deflecting attention from the fact that you’re back to drinking yourself into a stupor again

He isn't going to put a good word in with the Zuck for you no matter how hard you defend him, bro.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

this is perfection

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol i hope someone knows here your real name so we can laugh when you eventually make the local news

Apr 7, 2003

The Silicon Valley VC defender has logged in

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rjmccall posted:

lol i hope someone knows here your real name so we can laugh when you eventually make the local news

:q:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you think insurance companies are bad, just wait until you see what medical providers do!

nice deflection

Apr 7, 2003

I am going to continue to mock the Facebook man who defended their lovely unethical manipulative experiments while also rubbing magnets on his head to make the sadbrains go away, and you can't do anything about it.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

well yeah my job leads to the direct death of babies, adults, and everybody in between, but some guy treats his mental illness in a way i find funny and works for a company that i don't like, so really who is worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

why do the thread voting buttons only go down to 1