Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Elysiume posted:

How do people feel about Friends? I need another cantrip for my wizard, and while spammable charm is nice, the downside is incredibly bad. Currently have Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, and Thaumaturgy as a tiefling illusion wizard.

e: 18 int, 16 cha if that would affect suggestions. I'm starting at level 6, so I'll probably have 20 int, 16 cha unless I decide something is more enticing than a casting stat ASI.

Can you take Toll the Dead? It's pretty baller for damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kruller posted:

Can you take Toll the Dead? It's pretty baller for damage.
Yeah, that's on the table. In addition to Fire Bolt, or instead of?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I took Friends on my idiot Warlock who doesn't understand his powers at all. I have him subconsciously cast it when he is trying to impress people and then get confused when they get mad because he doesn't even understand that he used magic.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Friends is good so long as you don't use it on anyone you wouldn't otherwise be willing to kill. Use it to bluff your way past goblins and brigands and whatnot.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elysiume posted:

How do people feel about Friends? I need another cantrip for my wizard, and while spammable charm is nice, the downside is incredibly bad. Currently have Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, and Thaumaturgy as a tiefling illusion wizard.

e: 18 int, 16 cha if that would affect suggestions. I'm starting at level 6, so I'll probably have 20 int, 16 cha unless I decide something is more enticing than a casting stat ASI.
If there are humans or people with no dark vision in your group, you may want to be a good team player and get Light.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I have a draft for my cleric-adjacent TACTICIAN class!
It got bigger than I wanted it to be. It's levels 1-11. And it's here. View it in Chrome if the tables look wonky to you.

I'm pretty sure it's a bit overpowered and frontloaded right now. But I'd rather have all those elements in there now, and carve them back, than to have to think of them later.

Protocols and Commands aren't meant to be an exhaustive list, but examples. Putting more Commands in will probably necessitate a 'commands prepared' mechanic.

All constructive feedback is welcome. Remember to keep in mind the design goal: Effectively replace a cleric in a party, while not feeling just like a cleric. Some abilities may seem initially 'too strong' numerically but are that way to make up for the cleric's versatility. That said, I have no doubt that the power levels are off - commands might be too weak, and some of the protocols I know are way too strong.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Toplowtech posted:

If there are humans or people with no dark vision in your group, you may want to be a good team player and get Light.
There's a dragonborn sorcerer in the party as the only one without darkvision, and she either knows Lights or Dancing Lights. Good call, though. It's weird how prevalent darkvision is in 5e.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm trying to characterize the seasonal courts down to their values and mannerisms and everything. I've grounded the Winter court in mistrust, the need for security, and a cold, arms-length, transactional way of dealing with outsiders. Their emotions and behaviors are grounded in scarcity and "look out for number one." Accordingly, I've decided showy jewelry is popular, not because they're decadent but because people like the security of having their wealth on them.

But I don't want players to be tempted to murder the poo poo out of the Winter Court just because they all wear gold. Do you think it'd work to have them stumble on a missing piece earlier on and establish that merchants don't want to buy Winter Court gold because that poo poo is traceable and more trouble than it's worth? Will players feel robbed seeing all this wealth they can't get at or do you think this'll work fine?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Elysiume posted:

There's a dragonborn sorcerer in the party as the only one without darkvision, and she either knows Lights or Dancing Lights. Good call, though. It's weird how prevalent darkvision is in 5e.

Darkvision is only so good up to a certain distance however. Although it feels rare that a module will make use of this fact.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But I don't want players to be tempted to murder the poo poo out of the Winter Court just because they all wear gold. Do you think it'd work to have them stumble on a missing piece earlier on and establish that merchants don't want to buy Winter Court gold because that poo poo is traceable and more trouble than it's worth? Will players feel robbed seeing all this wealth they can't get at or do you think this'll work fine?

Just because established regular merchants won't touch it doesn't mean much. The curse of the thief (having rad distinctive loot but being unable to spend it through proper channels) is a pretty common thing and hasn't stopped players before. If they really wanted it, there's nothing saying they want it to sell to regular ol' storekeeps in that instance or even that they want to sell it at all. If it's that ostentatious and gives an air of wealth, then that has clear other uses. Just because something is traceable to those with time, connections and the ability to give a thorough inspection doesn't mean much in practice.

If someone's immediate reaction to seeing rad loot is "aww, we can't get that that sucks" then they're already thinking about it wrong. A thing being a challenge to get is cool and if someone wants it but doesn't want to delve into finding a fence or black market connections than that presents a challenge to overcome. Keeping it on their person presents other more interesting challenges down the line with some higher social stuff and could even come up in unexpected ways. For example, it gives an interesting target for misguided bandits to try and take or even be given a small fraction of that would be a clever way to get out of that particular interaction without a fight. That it would then have repercussions down the line is just a fun thing to consider when they would try and do something with it.

Something being that distinct could spiral in unexpected ways, and that's awesome. Trying to shut down something that cool is a pretty bad idea, really. It's a great setup and could totally become something rad. Or your players might not be interested in it at all, so there's nothing to consider about where it could go.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 6, 2018

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Elysiume posted:

Yeah, that's on the table. In addition to Fire Bolt, or instead of?

I'd take it in addition, just to have some damage type variety, as well as damage you don't have to roll to hit with.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But I don't want players to be tempted to murder the poo poo out of the Winter Court just because they all wear gold.
By "Winter Court" do you mean 25% of the fae nobility? Because murdering a member of the most powerful fae is a) hard and b) probably something the rest of the Winter Court will actively seek vengeance for.

I mean, if they're invited to an audience with a mortal king do you avoid describing the hall as too nice in case they try to murder him for it? If they did try to murder him for it what would you do? If the players decide to start murdering fae I'd just say "You want to murder this guy for a few hundred gold pieces? Are you willing to go to war with the faewild over a magic swordsworth of jewelry? All right, your call, but you were warned."

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I had an elf cop eldritch knight that used friends to start off interrogations with suspects she was pretty sure did it anyways. just to get a foot in the door and avoid having to do things like torture or pleas bargaining.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So we are coming up on the end of Sunless Citadel and i wasent aware there were rules for attacking weapons/objects themselves? At least when it comes to Shatterspikes effect.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
At some point wearing all your money as jewelry runs into the I'm Gonna Get You Sucka problem where people can't carry that much weight.

So every Winter Court member has an entourage decked out in gilded armor and jewelry and stuff. Make sure the players know that the Court pays the best for the best. Even the lowliest wine steward is always in gold and platinum and always wearing a sword.

Then if the players want to rob and ambush entourages let them do it and then introduce a consequence

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
If there is 1 player on a party of 4+ who is the only one without dark vision I’d personally ignore light requirements for everyone unless there was a really good narrative reason to.

Either you have one guy who needs a torch/light spell and keeps giving the party position away alerting guards or monsters, or you don’t bother with penalizing light sources and you require one dude to endlessly describe carrying a torch or whatever for no mechanical reason.

If you had a party of mostly humans and a dwarf or elf, sure let darkvision be a cool benefit (they get to scout ahead, or get a ovcasional advantage spotting poo poo in the dark etc). If its a single player’s disability in effect, theres just no point.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kadath posted:

If there is 1 player on a party of 4+ who is the only one without dark vision I’d personally ignore light requirements for everyone unless there was a really good narrative reason to.

Either you have one guy who needs a torch/light spell and keeps giving the party position away alerting guards or monsters, or you don’t bother with penalizing light sources and you require one dude to endlessly describe carrying a torch or whatever for no mechanical reason.

If you had a party of mostly humans and a dwarf or elf, sure let darkvision be a cool benefit (they get to scout ahead, or get a ovcasional advantage spotting poo poo in the dark etc). If its a single player’s disability in effect, theres just no point.

If there is just one guy then put some goggles of night in the campaign, either as a drop or an item a merchant has.

Even a gimped version with 30ft would allow for a narrative reason to not get bogged down in the logistics.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kruller posted:

I'd take it in addition, just to have some damage type variety, as well as damage you don't have to roll to hit with.
I definitely see the merit of having both attack roll and save cantrips, but I need to drop either Mage Hand or Prestidigitation if I'm to keep Friends. 5e is so restrictive on cantrips; it's weird.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 6, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Elysiume posted:

I definitely see the merit of having both attack roll and save cantrips, but I need to drop either Mage Hand or Prestidigitation if I'm to keep Friends. 5e is so restrictive on cantrips; it's weird.

Well you get more later, generally.

Being able to use Frostbite on my Sunday game was good since the Hobgoblins my party fought had some pretty hefty AC. But lovely stats!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Arthil posted:

Well you get more later, generally.

Being able to use Frostbite on my Sunday game was good since the Hobgoblins my party fought had some pretty hefty AC. But lovely stats!
That's true, but 10th level feels so far away. Maybe I'll just punt Mage Hand until then. I have too much trouble wrapping my head around a wizard without Prestidigitation.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I would unironically give Prestidigitation, Thaumaturgy, or Druidcraft free to anyone with a spell list, even if they can't usually use cantrips.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Personally I am completely sick of darkvision in general and for the game I'm putting together I'm just going to remove it from everyone including monsters.

Dungeon exploring is much more visually interesting if underground dwellers use lights, it makes light sources less of a total trap, it avoids the dumb proliferation of darkvision in your average party, i don't have to describe things twice for different PCs being able to see different things, it makes stealth actually interesting, etc etc. Glowing crystals and glowing fungus will save me.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

xiw posted:

Personally I am completely sick of darkvision in general and for the game I'm putting together I'm just going to remove it from everyone including monsters.

Dungeon exploring is much more visually interesting if underground dwellers use lights, it makes light sources less of a total trap, it avoids the dumb proliferation of darkvision in your average party, i don't have to describe things twice for different PCs being able to see different things, it makes stealth actually interesting, etc etc. Glowing crystals and glowing fungus will save me.

The Gloom Stalker relies on dark vision being a mechanic, so you might need to make some adjustments if someone happens to pick that archetype

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

The Gloom Stalker relies on dark vision being a mechanic, so you might need to make some adjustments if someone happens to pick that archetype

It works as a sub-class perk or spell, but when all but 1 or 2 basic races have Dark Vision it creates problems.

In the wise words of Xanthar:

Xanthar posted:

So you sneak around in the dark? You know most everything but humans can see in the dark, right? We all see you. Tiptoeing doesn’t turn you invisible.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Darkvision going from "only 2 basic races have darkvision" to "all but 2 basic races have darkvision" is an interesting direction.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Moving back to 4e, I was caught off-guard by the standard being low-light instead of darkvision. Like, a ton of races (especially "exotic" ones) still have low-light and races like humans and halflings are left out in the cold, but it's way less game-changing and true darkvision is something you have to take feats or features for.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

xiw posted:

Most Darkvison races are still going to use Lights. As Darkvison is only in black and white and it's still dim.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’m always confused why halflings don’t have dark vision. Don’t they live in burrows and heavily forested areas?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Darkvision going from "only 2 basic races have darkvision" to "all but 2 basic races have darkvision" is an interesting direction.

It's been flipped from being a ribbon to being a weakness of some races

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Saw this on D&D beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFUMKie1K8

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Caphi posted:

Moving back to 4e, I was caught off-guard by the standard being low-light instead of darkvision. Like, a ton of races (especially "exotic" ones) still have low-light and races like humans and halflings are left out in the cold, but it's way less game-changing and true darkvision is something you have to take feats or features for.

It was a deliberate decision to eliminate a lot of Darkvision abilities in 4e because the designers realized that so many races had Darkvision that you either just didn't bother with darkness at all, or you had that one Human in the group which can't see in the dark so the DM either has to describe the room twice and differently each and every time, or the DM just described the room once anyway and the Human basically got Darkvision for free.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey! Who wants to see Mike Mearls really gently caress up a Warlord subclass and demonstrate that he really, seriously doesn't get it?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/235935943

It starts around 3:30 or so after he complains about having a cold.

e: Kinda liveblogging

First is a long ramble about why it's a Fighter subclass as opposed to a class in and of itself. Which would sound a lot better if there weren't Monks, Warlocks, Rangers, etc. as core classes.

Then is a big long loving talk about why the Fighter is the way it is and about the other subclasses oh god come on

Oh hey martial healing? Around 16 minutes? But on a daily basis maybe?

Oh dude this is way too long and boring, I'm tapping out.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 7, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Good news, everyone!

Beastmaster isn't bad, this one guy said so!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Have not read it yet. But this appears to be this guys first post.

edit:Honestly it was a fairly solid article, but I still think the Beastmaster is too weak overall unless you go the revised ranger path.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 7, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have not read it yet. But this appears to be this guys first post.

edit:Honestly it was a fairly solid article, but I still think the Beastmaster is too weak overall unless you go the revised ranger path.

No, it's retarded.

PHB Ranger is already the weakest class, and here you've got an archetype for it whose only ability is, essentially, being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter.

That's what Beastmaster is when you get down to the brass tacks. It's stupid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, it's retarded.

PHB Ranger is already the weakest class, and here you've got an archetype for it whose only ability is, essentially, being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter.

That's what Beastmaster is when you get down to the brass tacks. It's stupid.

Did you read the article? Or the beastmasters abilities. Cause I agree its weak but not that weak.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you read the article? Or the beastmasters abilities. Cause I agree its weak but not that weak.

Are you suggesting that Beastmaster is not the weakest class? Or that Beastmaster gets abilities beyond "being able to spend 8 hours to auto-pass the Animal Handle checks to befriend and teach tricks to a CR 1/4 critter"?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is MonsterEnvy just going to defend all of the literally indefensible parts of 5e without any thought?

I like 5th Edition and all that but clearly not as much as that guy.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Hell I'll suck 4e's dick until Expertise Feats are running down my chin and I don't think I like my favorite version as much as MonsterEnvy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Frankly I'm of the opinion there is 0 mechanical reasons to be any class or combination of classes in 5e that isn't: Warlock, Sorc, Bard or Pally. (Eldritch Knight is fine too but hexblade+pally basically does the same poo poo)

They can do literally annnnything.